• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 gets 10/10 in first English version review

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lingitiz

Finished the JP version last year. It's pretty good but I can also see people not liking one or two aspects about it.

Still definitely a 9+ game if I had to do the score thing.

Mind elaborating what were some of those issues?

I'm curious because although I love this series, I've never actually finished one of the games and I've only watched the endings through let's plays, GB endurance run, and the P3 movies/P4 anime. I tend to burn out pretty early on the repetition of the dungeons and the daily routines.

Wonder if Ni No Kuni 2 and Xenoblade 2 are releasing this year as well. Battle of the JRPGS let's go. I love it.

Wish I had the money to buy all the games. I'll just have to slowly play them one by one. I'm not in a rush. I'll probably won't have nothing to play in the upcoming two years lol.

Now I'm worried hearing from people who have played the Japanese version saying the story has problems. While the improvements on gameplay and dungeons are nice, I play Persona for the story and characters.

wamberz1

I've said it before and I'll say it again

Persona 5
Prey (being done by Mick Gordon)
Nier
Stormblood
Gravity Rush
Ace Combat 7
Mass Effect
Tekken 7
All the nintendo stuff

OST of the year is gonna be an absolute bloodbath, and I love it

Vena

Coming off of P3/P4, I'd say its actually the story that falls flatter where others things were (greatly) improved from predecessors. The ending's kind of a ¯\_(ツ)_/¯.

It also went on too long where even a good thing may start to wear out its welcome for some.

There's also some inanely dumb-ass design decisions that tie into the above about length that can really grate. Some of the things they improved upon (greatly) also kind of... go back to being subpar/bad at the home stretch, though I won't give specifics to avoid spoilers. Its still better than the predecessor designs, but its... weaker than a lot of what proceeded it. And, again, ties into the fact that the game is just too long and to its own detriment.

TheBowen

Sat alone in a boggy marsh
giphy.gif

Honestly, this gen has been good, but albeit slow. But 2017 is like every game I've ever wanted just coming out at once and hitting like a freight train

From games like Yakuza, Nier, Persona, Mass Effect, Horizon, For Honor, Resident Evil 7, Prey, Zelda, Gravity Rush, Kingdom Hearts, Nioh. Halo Wars 2,

And those are just the games that are releasing up to march

My wallet ;(

Dantis

I'm curious because although I love this series, I've never actually finished one of the games and I've only watched the endings through let's plays, GB endurance run, and the P3 movies/P4 anime. I tend to burn out pretty early on the repetition of the dungeons and the daily routines.

The story is very anime and silly, so YMMV on that.

Enemy respawns immediately after fights are the most annoying shit ever

The last ten hours of the game is a slog through bossfight after bossfight, and I personally thought the narrative went to shit in this section.

The ending is bad compared to P3 and P4.

A couple of the lategame dungeons aren't great

There's a really shit trick to lengthen the game a little bit at the end. It's lame and bad.

Everything else is stellar. It's a great game, it just isn't the second coming.

ethomaz

Banned
Turn-based isn't dead. It just doesn't sell to casuals.
Final Fantasy is now a mainstream franchise designed to move product to casuals.
Persona 5 is for the gaming enthusiasts. Namely us.
Final Fantasy was mainstream.

They need to work a lot on FFXVI to recover the mainstream appeal of FF has in the past.

Ken

the dungeons are better this time around cause they're all handcrafted and not just generic mazes

There's a really shit trick to lengthen the game a little bit at the end. It's lame and bad.

these two were what i was thinking about without trying to get into spoiler-tag territory

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
giphy.gif

Honestly, this gen has been good, but albeit slow. But 2017 is like every game I've ever wanted just coming out at once and hitting like a freight train

From games like Yakuza, Nier, Persona, Mass Effect, Horizon, For Honor, Resident Evil 7, Prey, Zelda, Gravity Rush, Kingdom Hearts, Nioh. Halo Wars 2,

And those are just the games that are releasing up to march

My wallet ;(

I really want this, but the backlog is already too real. Will have to wait. Also, .. How the F are so many good games with high reviews hitting .. LOL. My lord.

It's weird to have an embargo on something that has already released. I get that the dub/translation is also important, but everything else is already out there.

Embargos have less to do with limiting spoilers, and more to do with the PR rollout. The embargo being March 29th has less to do with hiding spoilers and more to do with the fact that Atlus's PR team thinks that's the most strategic date for reviews to be hitting.

barybll

Banned
A 10/10 game should be at or near perfection. A 5/10 game should be considered a good game still. 6-9 should be the varying levels of how much better it is than just the standard. Anything less than 5 would be going from good to bad. I just dislike how these days it seems that if it doesn't get 8 or above, it's "crap". I know that's not the case here, at all. And I'm not saying BotW deserves crap scores too. But I just feel there should be more distinction in the upper echelon of the scorecards. Similarly on the lower end, 5/10 shouldn't mean a "bad" game, but if someone sees that, they usually stay away like the plague. Lower than that, and watch out.

I know it wont ever happen, and it's just my thoughts. Perhaps I might just be getting older. I *am* a little tired, and could possibly be cranky atm without knowing it.

Edit: Maybe also perhaps, maybe...that games are becoming more and more grandiose. Maybe the same system doesn't quite apply to the new hotness like it did the old and busted.

Or the games reviewers tend to do reviews off are usually quality games and are higher profile.

The majority of metacritic is average scores

The last ten hours of the game is a slog through bossfight after bossfight, and I personally thought the narrative went to shit in this section.

Persona - "very anime"? Well, I never.

It's come to the point where you can't have a social life or a job if you want to play every great game near their release.

What a time to be a gamer.

I've said it before and I'll say it again

Persona 5
Prey (being done by Mick Gordon)
Nier
Stormblood
Gravity Rush
Ace Combat 7
Mass Effect
Tekken 7
All the nintendo stuff

OST of the year is gonna be an absolute bloodbath, and I love it

Oh yeah , we're only in march and there are already so many strong candidates.

NewDust

Embargos have less to do with limiting spoilers, and more to do with the PR rollout. The embargo being March 29th has less to do with hiding spoilers and more to do with the fact that Atlus's PR team thinks that's the most strategic date for reviews to be hitting.

I get that, but what is outlets stopping from discussing the Japanese version, except for the language barrier (which is a pretty big barrier for most)

the story is even more silly than Persona 4? O_O

Can't be worse than the slog that was Shin Megami Tensei IV — especially the latter parts.

bluethree

the story is even more silly than Persona 4? O_O

No, and I really hate to be *that* guy, but this poster does not understand Japanese (IIRC). The story is fine, it's far from perfect, and yeah it's still basically anime - but the events and characters are more grounded in real world situations than before.

In fact, for people who haven't been playing the Persona games because they don't normally like JRPGs and anime, this would be the best one to start with - assuming they don't mind the length.

Gestahl

For me, it seemed like the characters never really get much of a chance to unwind. Even when they're having what you assume would be a zany school trip they're still constantly irritated and on edge because of main plot. The characters wind up having fewer opportunities to bounce off each other than say in P4 original as a consequence.

The game also telegraphs the shit out of its main plot so I wound up feeling like I knew what was going to happen sometimes more than a month before it actually occurs. That's not always a bad thing mind you and I was wrong on a couple occasions but I just had to roll my eyes when a certain character showed up after the first dungeon because it seemed like the game was putting an awful lot of cards on the table way too soon.

GamerJM

Banned
The JRPG renaissance is here and I am READY

I don't really want to rain on all of the positivity in this topic, but the original reason behind the golden age of JRPGs was because of all of the mid-tier stuff that was coming out in the SNES-PS2 era. IMO, having a handful of really amazing JRPGs now that aren't coming out at the same frequency as before isn't the same thing.

I'm still super hyped for Persona 5 though. The game looks incredible.

No, and I really hate to be *that* guy, but this poster does not understand Japanese (IIRC). The story is fine, it's far from perfect, and yeah it's still basically anime - but the events and characters are more grounded in real world situations than before.

In fact, for people who haven't been playing the Persona games because they don't normally like JRPGs and anime, this would be the best one to start with - assuming they don't mind the length.

ok thanks, but how does it compare to the smt series in general, especially Persona 2?

Zasa

Great Odin's Raven. These games, man, & I've still yet to buy Nioh, Horizon, RE7, or Nier. I'm definitely buying Andromeda as well. Bittersweet prioritizing between these games :(

Based off these previews & this review, wouldn't be surprised to see it hit 95 MC/OC score. Can't wait to play my first Persona game!

barybll

Banned
Dantis have a heavy P4 bias and is hellbent on decreasing expectations from p5 which he believe are too high, after playing through it without japanese knowledge

There, I felt like this disclaimer is necessary

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom