• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 gets 10/10 in first English version review

Status
Not open for further replies.

oti

Banned
Japan @ the 2017 GOTY Awards

iPFOazd.png

Japan coming back is legit the best thing that has happened this gen.

hohoXD123

I think if any game can unseat the BOTW metacritic throne, or at least come the closest to it, it's this one. P4G got 93, and I've been reading so many impressions on here about how it tops the other entries in the series. It has been an insane start to the year, but as soon as this releases I'm dropping everything else.

P4 spoilerish talk:

To be fair, it was probably a little less suspect with Romi Park as the seiyuu in the Japanese version as she's voice a lot of young male characters before.
Yup, Atlus USA messed up there. Thiugh iirc they fixed their mistake in the anime adaption dub

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
P4 spoilerish talk:

To be fair, it was probably a little less suspect with Romi Park as the seiyuu in the Japanese version as she's voice a lot of young male characters before.

I'm new to the whole Persona thing, I just started playing 4G a month ago, but I've gotten obsessed. The anime is on Hulu, and if they got the same person for the show as they did for the game, it makes a bit more sense.

They didn't hide it well in the American VO, though. I didn't actually realize they were trying to hide it until everyone was all weird about Kanji going out with a boy.

I think if any game can unseat the BOTW metacritic throne, or at least come the closest to it, it's this one. P4G got 93, and I've been reading so many impressions on here about how it tops the other entries in the series. It has been an insane start to the year, but as soon as this releases I'm dropping everything else.

No. Let's not get carried away. P5 is not getting a 98. I'd guess a 91-94. I may be wrong though :)

D

Deleted member 518609

Unconfirmed Member
I have reasons for not liking the story. They are not related to the dialogue (that I did not understand). They are related to the core events that go down. Twists are telegraphed really obviously and the game feels the need to spend thirty minutes going "WOW, I BET YOU NEVER SAW THIS COMING" and the serious personal themes of the early dungeons get pushed aside for high stakes save the world garbage.
I said it's a great game, bro. No need to be insecure about it.

I would rather this discussion take place elsewhere. Partially because the people reading this thread likely don't want to hear things like this, and partially because it's incredibly limiting not being able to delve into specifics. I know it sounds condescending to say that you can't comment on the story because you don't speak the language, but from a lot of the stuff you're saying, I can't help but feel like that really is the reality of it.
This is a heavily visually stylized game, and at times while the visuals look incredibly cartoonish, there is a surprising amount of depth to what they represent, and with you only getting the visual side, I can see why you're making some of the assumptions that you are.

If you're still criticizing the story come April, while I'll probably still disagree - I'll at least respect your opinions as those of someone with proper knowledge of the game as a whole, but at the moment, I don't think you're in a position to call someone "insecure" for taking issue with some of the comments you're making on the story.
That's just my two cents at least.

Madame M

Banned
..."precocious?" How can something be precocious when it doesn't have an age? Since Persona is a long running series it doesn't seem like it's very young to be acting old for its age.

Plus Xenoblade Chronicles 2, the sequel to the best RPG on the Wii. Still have my doubt it's coming out this year but you never know.

Hence why I included "or at least come the closest to it"

my bad.

It'll be as good as Persona 4, the only other true Persona game.

Regarding the voice actor discussion:

it's just something that is hard to translate from a traditional Seiyuu where women playing young men is a fairly common occurrence to the American audience where it's not. It was always going to be hard to do and I think they overall did a passable job at making it at least believable that the characters would not know, even if you can tell right away.

LowParry

We sure are early for reviews on P5. Man, if the Nier review thread is any indication of drama, P5's is gonna be special.

bigjig

Not to derail the thread, but the story really isn't that grounded. It goes to much crazier heights than P4 could even dream of hitting.

This is a conversation for another thread though. Probably in about four weeks' time.

Wow, really disagree. The story deals with a lot of real world issues facing Japanese society (and elsewhere) that you don't see in the previous games in the series. I agree this is probably a discussion for another time though

I understand it's not technically out in Western countries, but using future tense to refer to something that's existed and does exist and can be played right now, is weird.

For those who played the Japanese version, how it compares to P4G in terms of difficulty?

Haven't finished it yet, but it feels easier to exploit if you were so inclined. I'd say it's probably a bit easier on normal. It's been a while since I last played P4G though...

LowParry

For those who played the Japanese version, how it compares to P4G in terms of difficulty?

I think the better question is, are dungeons more fun that P4? Or is it another easy mode playthrough just to get the boring dungeon out of the way.

D

Deleted member 518609

Unconfirmed Member
I think the better question is, are dungeons more fun that P4? Or is it another easy mode playthrough just to get the boring dungeon out of the way.

They are so much better it's not even funny.

Xypher

Dungeons are far more fun than in the previous games, and they are more meaty than in the previous entries, as they were actually designed this time instead of just being randomized.

Raven117

Gold Member
I mean...come on....While FFXV may have ended be marginally surprising in terms "better than most people thought it would be"

The beginning of 2017 is really showing just how far behind Final Fantasy is in design.

Yakuza 0 (Crazy Story)
Nioh (butter smooth combat and refining of the "souls" formula)
Horizon Zero Dawn (Great combat in an open world and grahical powerhouse)
Zelda Breath of the Wild (Execution and "special sauce" of Nintendo and brings interaction to an open world RPG to another level)
Nier Automata: Unflicnhing in creativity and story.

FFXV...quite simply...isn't any of those things. It was a game that probably should have come out in 2011 or 2012,,,,but by todays standards...As just shown above...gaming, might be starting to take another big step.

sublimit

Banned
Haven't finished it yet, but it feels easier to exploit if you were so inclined. I'd say it's probably a bit easier on normal. It's been a while since I last played P4G though...

Well that's good news to me since i got stuck (hopefully temporarily) at a certain boss in P4G.

The dungeons make the dungeons from P3/4 look like a joke, it's impressive how much they improved in this area.

You think Persona 5 might receive a 99 MC score?

That would certainly be something.

Dantis

It's a lot harder. P4G nerfed P4's difficulty a lot. P5 brings back the old one-turns game overs of previous SMT games.

Infinitely better. Not even worth comparing. P5's dungeons are largely tremendous.

Xypher

Well that's good news to me since i got stuck (hopefully temporarily) at a certain boss in P4G.
While I generally got through P4G pretty easily, I actually got stuck pretty late in P5 on normal, because I just didn't want to do much dungeon crawling outside of what was needed. I had to lower the difficulty in the end, but if you put some time into the dungeon crawling and not just try to rush through all dungeons, you should be fine.

It's a lot harder. P4G nerfed P4's difficulty a lot. P5 brings back the old one-turns game overs of previous SMT games.

Infinitely better. Not even worth comparing. P5's dungeons are largely tremendous.

Damn. This likely means it already surpasses P3/4 for me. I consider the quality of dungeon crawling (pretty much a joke compared to SMT or EO) in both those games (and other Personas in fact) to be pretty significant flaws considering how much time you spend in them. I can't wait for P5.

SaniOYOYOY

No, the real, real question will be which game will have the better OST between Persona 5 and Nier.

the real goty battle of 2017
rooting for nier

With all of the hate that FFXV gets, I'm amazed that it actually made it into NeoGAF's top ten games of 2016, over games like Dishonored 2. I would have thought that 90% of the board hated the game or something. Anyways, I'm sure Persona 5 is a better game than Final Fantasy XV, I'm definitely more of a Persona fan than a Final Fantasy one, and everything that I've seen from 5 looks incredible. I can't wait to dive back in to the world of Persona.

well at this point anyone that just flat out said ffxv sux is probably just trollin/didnt play the game. almost everyone i know that actually played it said that it was good game with story problem

Wha exactly is the cause of Japan's comeback?

Don't think they really went anywhere. I just think there was a market shift to western games and western games really put out some quality stuff while the Japanese flavor wasn't as sought after outside of Japan for a bit. I think they've put out some pretty quality stuff that flew under the radar the past decade and a half.

Edit: Also as SolidSnakex mentioned below me, the handheld market is HUGE in Japan so a lot of their best efforts went to the PSP and 3/DS.

Mr. Hyde

My wife thinks this game will change the dynamic of our relationship because I've talked about my need of it for years and she doesn't know how I will be when I finally have it in my hands. My most anticipated game in years despite finally playing the last guardian and now going through breath of the wild.

Consider a typical well designed dungeon level, and now add persona style flair on top of that. There, you now have P5 dungeons. Gone are the repetitive linear hallways of P4.

My wife thinks this game will change the dynamic of our relationship because I've talked about my need of it for years and she doesn't know how I will be when I finally have it in my hands. My most anticipated game in years despite finally playing the last guardian and now going through breath of the wild.

Same here with my girlfriend. Always been my favorite series and it's been my most anticipated game since I started dating her. I basically warned her that I probably won't be getting up to do anything once this drops until I beat it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom