• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer: announcement this week

Astray

After finishing the Duke podcast I'm pretty much sure that Microsoft NEEDS to go third party right now. The Activision buyout literally destroyed the brand, ironically
That podcast was so good tbh, one of their best episodes, and I thought Matty and Cog didn't go into delusion mode, they were very upfront about where they see the brand going.

At this point, I’m convinced they did that early 360 push with Japanese games and then went “ok we got them, now they can’t afford to skip us” and didn’t bother anymore. Then the PS3 started its redemption arc, and the PS4 then completed that arc.
I think it's the opposite, they expected FF numbers out of like, Lost Odyssey, and when that didn't happen, they just ignored the market. It's very weird tbh.

Zheph

the japanese push on 360 probably did cost them a fortune and the unit sales were likely very far from it. Those games might be popular on a gaming forum but I don't think the general public was interested especially in the US

Sanepar

I phil sorry for phil, i find him an honest gamer trying do his best for this industry, proof of pudding in how he turned around xbox one ship

I think its this niceness, wokeness even, that people around him are taking advantage and not delivering on their promises or leaking stories

It’s sad that these days, companies have “wait for it” events are usually hype beasts, announcing weeks before, with catchy theme names.

Phil having to organise this ad hoc event to damage control looks bad on his cv, he wont be around next year
If u believe on that. U believe in anything in life. He is a fanboy clown. Nothing more.

Last edited:

Sanepar

WJoI13p.jpg

Found a funny on Reset about these rumors before heading to bed. They mad-mad about this, probably upset the rumors started here and not on their purple forum 😁

Never mind all the official signs all but verifying some aspects of the rumors, others who have corroborated them, or Phil Spencer's own tweet coming out and indirectly referring to the rumors without even debunking them when he's debunked many other rumors about Xbox almost immediately.

Nah, we gotta question the source because they're not from our forum. A special type of copium.

Welp, anyway. 'nite 🤣

There is no 'internal fight' or civil war. Everything's already been decided. You don't have a 'business update' on a whim; you do that after higher-ups have decided things weeks or even months in advance. Whatever battle there's happening on the inside (if any), it's over. It's been over.

This isn't some SEGA of America/SEGA of Japan infighting nonsense. Phil and Microsoft Gaming got stripped of their autonomy and now have to comply with whatever their superiors have deemed fit for the gaming brand going forward.

What that actually is, we'll see (or start to see) next week. But there's a 100% chance at least some of these rumors are true, given more recent circumstantial evidence. IMO they're 100% true, but we probably won't hear confirmation on most of it in a few days and certain parts would take a long time to implement, probably.

You're giving him too much credit.
I understand why he thinks that since resetera became the den for xbox fanboys even between mods and admins.

Mr.Phoenix

I get what you're saying, and I agree. This could end up helping Game Pass, in the way you describe. I'd add that releasing on PS also takes the console warrioring out of the equation, which does play a role in a game's reception at times. That might help a bit, too. If this shift in strategy would somehow clear the way for them to get GP on Playstation, that would help a lot. Sony will resist that, though.

I don't think a boost to GP would result in better console sales, though. That's where my focus was -- the impact of all this on the Xbox console and the brand itself.
I agree that a boost to gamepass will not necessarily result in better console sales. I honestly expect the opposite. What it does do though is result in a different kinda console sales. I have said already (dunno if it was in this thread or another) that I can see Xbox sales dropping to Steam deck levels. Meaning that Xbox as a console ends up selling on average around 4-5M consoles per year. And that those consoles could very well come from different OEMs not just Microsoft.

You can have dual-booting laptops with an "Xbox OS", or Bluray players with a built-in "Xbox S", or whatever... but the focus shifts from selling hardware to the few that likely want the cheapest and most convenient way to get on gamepass.

As for gamepass on PS? I wouldn't write that off. It just wouldn't be coming in its current form, nor at its current price. Let's not forget that you can subscribe to EA Access on the PlayStation. Absolutely nothing stops MS from having a gamepass sub service on PlayStation, if they are willing to cut out every non-xbox owned game from the service. So I can see a world where for $5-$7/month you can pay for a version of gamepass that gives you access to games published by MS and nothing else on a PlayStation. And Sony still gets their 30% off that. No different from what is being done with EA. Or a new version of gamepass Ultimate for $20/month that gives you a key which when redeemed on your PS account gives you access to all MS-published games on the PlayStation. And every such redemption means that s long as the key is active Sony gets like $5/month from MS or something for that user.

Lots of ways they can make that work if that is the direction MS chooses to go.
That's not exactly true. Sony put one year old 1st party games like Horizon Forbidden West on PS+ Extra and immediately HFW sales dropped. HZD was a steady seller for years on the PS4, but sales of its successor have plateaud prematurely. I wonder if the Sony execs are really happy about gaining PS+ sales at the expense of software sales. My guess is that Sony knows PS+ Extra/Premium is a bad idea, but they have to have a game sub service in order to compete with another even worse idea: Xbox Game Pass.
I feel Sony did stuff like that simply because they are trying to grow the service. I don't think its a bad idea though, especially in an all-digital world. Believe it or not, the time is coming when a used game market wouldn't really exist, it will be more akin to a collectors market than a used game market. Or a time will come when the only physical release you will see of games would be literal "collectors/limited editions" and even those will come with a digital key in addition to the physical disc and probably cost over $200 minimum.

Having these services to give you cheap access to games you wouldn't have otherwise bought, is a good thing.
Today on CNBC they're talking Disney & Epic Games plus Microsoft "Console Wars", future of Xbox, etc. (Skip to 3:56 if you just want to hear about Xbox).

Pretty much the same thing I said.

Mr.Phoenix

There is no 'internal fight' or civil war. Everything's already been decided. You don't have a 'business update' on a whim; you do that after higher-ups have decided things weeks or even months in advance. Whatever battle there's happening on the inside (if any), it's over. It's been over.

This isn't some SEGA of America/SEGA of Japan infighting nonsense. Phil and Microsoft Gaming got stripped of their autonomy and now have to comply with whatever their superiors have deemed fit for the gaming brand going forward.

What that actually is, we'll see (or start to see) next week. But there's a 100% chance at least some of these rumors are true, given more recent circumstantial evidence. IMO they're 100% true, but we probably won't hear confirmation on most of it in a few days and certain parts would take a long time to implement, probably.
Exactly. These decisions are never spur-of-the-moment things. Hell, at the start of the current fiscal year, there would have been targets set on Phil that Xbox would have to hit or not the shift to what is about to happen would happen. That shit would have been written in stone since March 2023.

At this point, its all about how best to go about the messaging in the least embarrassing or damaging way possible. And to at least hold out a bone to everyone that did go out and buy an Xbox. And like James Sawyer Ford James Sawyer Ford said... I also expect them to offer some carrots to soften the blow of the stick.

No one spends almost $80B on a platform and not expect a ROI. Or at the very least some clear pathway to one. Some idiots actually thought MS could spend that kinda money and let Xbox keep trudging along as it has been doing for the last few years.

M0G

I don't get why you have to wait until next week to make an announcement while the rumours are way out of hand. I guess they're still inking deals and formulating bullshit they think will spin. If there are outright losers in the "console war" then everybody loses.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
So I watched this and it was pretty good

It had one great point that I haven't seen anyone mention in this thread:
Colin mentioned about how these acquisitions were the things fanboys championed but completely failed to account for the fact that it made Xbox that much bigger such that the beancounters couldn't ignore the Xbox division and started crunching the numbers realizing that there was no way they could justify leaving all that money on the table by not going 3rd party.

what happened today? just sitting down with my coffee.

Pretty sure just this chaos that seems like nothingburger:

But also interesting that Ubisoft even comment:

But the day has barely begun! Patience!

So crazy they don't just get in front of whatever it is instead of letting it all fester absolutely wildly. But it makes for amazing times in a gaming forum.

Humdinger

Gold Member
I agree that a boost to gamepass will not necessarily result in better console sales. I honestly expect the opposite. What it does do though is result in a different kinda console sales. I have said already (dunno if it was in this thread or another) that I can see Xbox sales dropping to Steam deck levels. Meaning that Xbox as a console ends up selling on average around 4-5M consoles per year. And that those consoles could very well come from different OEMs not just Microsoft.

You can have dual-booting laptops with an "Xbox OS", or Bluray players with a built-in "Xbox S", or whatever... but the focus shifts from selling hardware to the few that likely want the cheapest and most convenient way to get on gamepass.

If that happens, it seems to me that the Xbox console brand is effectively dead. I mean, it's one thing to be at those levels when you are Steam Deck, just entering the market, but it's another to fall from 80 million (360 era) to 4. That's a 5% shadow of their former selves/sales. And if different manufacturers are putting out these "GP boxes," it further dilutes things.

All of that detaches GP from the Xbox. And it lets Xbox (the console and brand) fade into obscurity.

I guess the upside is that there will be no more console wars. It makes what remains of Xbox into a freestanding app. People aren't going to engage in app wars. At least I hope not...

As for gamepass on PS? I wouldn't write that off. It just wouldn't be coming in its current form, nor at its current price. Let's not forget that you can subscribe to EA Access on the PlayStation. Absolutely nothing stops MS from having a gamepass sub service on PlayStation, if they are willing to cut out every non-xbox owned game from the service. So I can see a world where for $5-$7/month you can pay for a version of gamepass that gives you access to games published by MS and nothing else on a PlayStation. And Sony still gets their 30% off that. No different from what is being done with EA. Or a new version of gamepass Ultimate for $20/month that gives you a key which when redeemed on your PS account gives you access to all MS-published games on the PlayStation. And every such redemption means that s long as the key is active Sony gets like $5/month from MS or something for that user.

Lots of ways they can make that work if that is the direction MS chooses to go.

Yes, I can see a possibility for a stripped down, customized version of GP appearing on PS in the future. Good point about EA Access. I was just referring to Sony's historic resistance to GP on their platform. But once MS implements these strategy changes, the landscape will have changed. Maybe Sony will view them as much less of a threat and allow GP on their platform.

Last edited:

Mr.Phoenix

Agree.
A good gaming PC makes more sense than ever, as the main place to get access to almost everything, in the best possible way, with the most freedom.
I mean.. the "high end" consoles struggles to offer stable 60fps in lower resolutions in many games..
:messenger_pouting:

I hate... I cannot stress this enough... hate posts like these. It's so much blind bias it becomes irritating.

Ok... I am not gonna get too into it. But can you, or people who think like you, point out how well a $400 "good gaming PC" plays these games?

Because that right there is what you guys just keep on missing, why compare how a $400 gaming console plays games to a $1000+ gaming PC??????? How does that even make sense? And you guys just talk like it's the exact same thing. Like everyone in the world that has only $500 to invest in a gaming platform, would be able to say, well yh I can get a good gaming PC for that price.

Here is the reality of that situation, a current-gen console at its cost of entry... will ALWAYs outperform a gaming PC if you can only spend that same amount of money. You cannot justify buying a gaming PC over a console without inherently, moving the posts.

Humdinger

Gold Member

Colin mentioned about how these acquisitions were the things fanboys championed but completely failed to account for the fact that it made Xbox that much bigger such that the beancounters couldn't ignore the Xbox division and started crunching the numbers realizing that there was no way they could justify leaving all that money on the table by not going 3rd party.

Yeah, it's kind of ironic. The thing a lot of Xbox gamers were happy about -- and some were gloating about -- ended up biting them in the ass. No big surprise, though. You start spending 80 billion dollars, and you are going to start attracting the attention of "bean counters." I wouldn't even call them bean counters. They are just people trying to enforce some kind of financial accountability.

DJ12

I don't get why you have to wait until next week to make an announcement while the rumours are way out of hand. I guess they're still inking deals and formulating bullshit they think will spin. If there are outright losers in the "console war" then everybody loses.
They are hoping the rumour gets so bad that when they actually reveal what's happening it will seem the lesser of two evils.

radewagon

\Yes, I can see a possibility for a stripped down, customized version of GP appearing on PS in the future. Good point about EA Access. I was just referring to Sony's historic resistance to GP on their platform. But once MS implements these strategy changes, the landscape will have changed. Maybe Sony will view them as much less of a threat and allow GP on their platform.
Don't forget money. They'll have to give Sony a healthy cut of that gamepass revenue. I'm sure that, along with them exiting the console space, will soften the blow considerably.

The real question right now is if MS can even survive as a publisher. They have some huge studios under their belt and haven't been able to release a steady stream of exclusive content. They haven't had a DOOM release since the buyout. Seriously. Who does that? Where were their priorities? At this point, I'm not really sure they can eve properly manage being a large bloated games publisher.

Lots of comments about Microsoft making more money by going third party.

Consider that Xbox has roughly 50 million customers. Every time one of those 50 million customers buy something, Microsoft makes money ( from 30% to 100%).

Going third party gives them access to say 100 million Sony customers. Microsoft goes from 50 million customers that had to spend money in the Xbox ecosystem to 100 million customers that can spend money on anything.

50 million guaranteed customers (even if it’s only gamepass subs) to 100 million potential customers….

Mr.Phoenix

If that happens, it seems to me that the Xbox console brand is effectively dead. I mean, it's one thing to be at those levels when you are Steam Deck, just entering the market, but it's another to fall from 80 million (360 era) to 4. That's a 5% shadow of their former selves/sales. And if different manufacturers are putting out these "GP boxes," it further dilutes things.

All of that detaches GP from the Xbox. And it lets Xbox (the console and brand) fade into obscurity.

I guess the upside is that there will be no more console wars. It makes what remains of Xbox into a freestanding app. People aren't going to engage in app wars. At least I hope not...
I think that is what this shift is all about. Microsft will just not care. They will start treating Xbox no differently than they treat their Surface line. Xbox can even become this premium, ultra-high-end gaming PC platform. They just wouldn't care.

And it would be for the better for them, especially if/when "Microsoft Gamepass" and "Microsoft Game Studios" go onto make more money for them than Xbox as a division ever made for them in any single year since its inception.

That is the problem that Microsoft and Xbox face, Microsft will just be so much better off if they just restructured Xbox. It's like Xbox is preventing them from being all they can be in the gaming space. And the more it keeps doing poorly regardless of everything they have thrown at it; the harder it becomes to make a case for Xbox even within Microsoft.
Yes, I can see a possibility for a stripped down, customized version of GP appearing on PS in the future. Good point about EA Access. I was just referring to Sony's historic resistance to GP on their platform. But once MS implements these strategy changes, the landscape will have changed. Maybe Sony will view them as much less of a threat and allow GP on their platform.
Sony would naturally resist gamepass, or any service like it in its current form. But there is absolutely nothing wrong with a stripped-down version of such a service. And that service likely wouldn't even have day 1 releases, maybe day 14 or 30 lol.

LordCBH

Lots of comments about Microsoft making more money by going third party.

Consider that Xbox has roughly 50 million customers. Every time one of those 50 million customers buy something, Microsoft makes money ( from 30% to 100%).

Going third party gives them access to say 100 million Sony customers. Microsoft goes from 50 million customers that had to spend money in the Xbox ecosystem to 100 million customers that can spend money on anything.

50 million guaranteed customers (even if it’s only gamepass subs) to 100 million potential customers….

That’s the thing though, with last gen being (finally) phased out, Xbox doesn’t have 50 million customers for Series S|X titles, they have maybe 25 million.

pasterpl

I expect them to announce that moving forward all GaaS and mainly MP games will be multi platform day 1 - more players in these = more money for MS. Expect games that were being developed as multi platform before MS acquired studio might get same treatment - Bethesda spend money on developing hifirush. Starfield, redfall as multi platform games, so probably almost finished versions of these games exist in these studios = low additional investment to complete these and release = easy money for MS.

hardware strategy - no more generations, new Xbox that will launch this new hw approach to release in 2026 (it will be hybrid, upgradable), also outside MS Xbox they will license it to other manufacturers - Razer Xbox with upgradable ram and e gpu, all will run on Xbox os/custom windows version so devs don’t have to develop specifically for Xbox as it will run same version of the game as pc. All oem Xboxes come with gamepass requirement. Console/PC hybrid.

DJ12

Yeah, it's kind of ironic. The thing a lot of Xbox gamers were happy about -- and some were gloating about -- ended up biting them in the ass. No big surprise, though. You start spending 80 billion dollars, and you are going to start attracting the attention of "bean counters." I wouldn't even call them bean counters. They are just people trying to enforce some kind of financial accountability.
You know who else would be all on this, shareholders.

Hohenheim

:messenger_pouting:

I hate... I cannot stress this enough... hate posts like these. It's so much blind bias it becomes irritating.

Ok... I am not gonna get too into it. But can you, or people who think like you, point out how well a $400 "good gaming PC" plays these games?

Because that right there is what you guys just keep on missing, why compare how a $400 gaming console plays games to a $1000+ gaming PC??????? How does that even make sense? And you guys just talk like it's the exact same thing. Like everyone in the world that has only $500 to invest in a gaming platform, would be able to say, well yh I can get a good gaming PC for that price.

Here is the reality of that situation, a current-gen console at its cost of entry... will ALWAYs outperform a gaming PC if you can only spend that same amount of money. You cannot justify buying a gaming PC over a console without inherently, moving the posts.
Sorry for triggering you, dude. A console will easily outperform a PC if the budget is 500 bucks.
I should have added "If you can afford" at the start of my post.
If the budget is 500 dollars, then PC is not a good option, that's for sure.

But I don't believe the majority of console players have a max budget of 500 bucks every 6-7 year for their hobby. Certanly doesn't look like it based on all the "show your setup" posts on this forum!

Killjoy-NL

Sorry for triggering you, dude. A console will easily outperform a PC if the budget is 500 bucks.

But I don't believe the majority of console players have a max budget of 500 bucks every 6-7 year for their hobby. Certanly doesn't look like it based on all the "show your setup" posts on this forum!
Or consoles have a very different demographic that doesn't think the benefits of PC-gaming are worth the cost.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
It was also mentioned that the money people probably looked at how much money 3rd party games were bringing in and realized that was too much money to leave on the table to trust in a division that can't sell consoles.

I'm calling it now. There is no way in hell that the yearly Call of Duty will end up on Gamepass. That will be a day and date for everybody.

These are beard ass man.

cd679a22f1d306d06e15039d03241279.gif

Hohenheim

gaming forums are absolutely not representative of the average gamer
Definitly! But my post was for the people on here. I totally understand that getting a hi-end gaming PC is not an option for lots of people who like to play video games.
And I also understand that the classic "just get a PC" is not as easy as it sounds, if that PC is meant to play modern videogames in their full glory.

The fact they could allow all this to fester until, potentially, the latter part of next week is nothing short of crazy.

I don't believe it's "the end of Xbox", but damned if they aren't allowing things to just burn up.

Doesn't make sense. Must be really hard at work to make some vernacular that softens as many blows as possible.

Reficul

I've been watching this whole mess unfold from a distance.
To me it seems like 12 TFlops < half a dozen PRFlops.
It's such a shame.

Hope everybody is alright out there. Time to go home and pet my PS5.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Honest truth, is if you were to pitch the situation to a straight businessperson who does not give a shit about games, the course of action is beyond obvious.

Q: What's the value of "beating" Sony and Nintendo?
A: We get to take their market share and customers to enlarge our business.

Rebuttal: So why not just sell direct to that marketplace without all the overheads involved in running our own hardware platform? Especially when we have hardware-agnostic software platform already up and running that can perform all the same functions?

And yeah, if we're out of the hardware business, long-term how are these companies going to argue against us implementing our own services and storefronts on their internet connected hardware?

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
After finishing the Duke podcast I'm pretty much sure that Microsoft NEEDS to go third party right now. The Activision buyout literally destroyed the brand, ironically
Going 'third party' means releasing games right? Well that hasn't happened rally in 10 years....nor does it look like it will.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Whatever Phil says I’m expecting part of it to be no more day one Game Pass offerings on new first party games.

It was always a stupid move that cannibalized potential sales, despite their lies that it increased them.

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Honest truth, is if you were to pitch the situation to a straight businessperson who does not give a shit about games, the course of action is beyond obvious.

Q: What's the value of "beating" Sony and Nintendo?
A: We get to take their market share and customers to enlarge our business.

Rebuttal: So why not just sell direct to that marketplace without all the overheads involved in running our own hardware platform? Especially when we have hardware-agnostic software platform already up and running that can perform all the same functions?

And yeah, if we're out of the hardware business, long-term how are these companies going to argue against us implementing our own services and storefronts on their internet connected hardware?
Actually, there is a valid counterargument to that, i.e., "If we put our games to their platforms and abandon our own closed ecosystem, then we also lose billions of dollars that we get from third-party software sales share."

^ This is why Nintendo and PlayStation haven't followed this path. And why Xbox didn't follow this path even after failing for 10+ years consecutively.

The only problem/reason why this counterargument does not work for Xbox anymore is because their userbase doesn't buy games as much. They don't sell as many first-party games (100% revenue) or third-party games (30% revenue). A lot of their userbase also don't buy their subscription service at full price either.

So the potential revenue they can earn on other platforms turns out to be more than the revenue they'd lose if they maintain their own platform.

IlGialloMondadori

Gold Member
ypIYwDI.png

Mr.Phoenix

No worries, its just something I see a lot and at times on here. And I expect with all this Xbox talk its a narrative that starts getting pushed even more. My issue with it is how untrue it generally is. And you will always find that its never spoken about just on the merits of the pricing, because it is impossible to make a case for PC gaming if that is all you do, what tends to happen is that people start, as I said, trying to move the posts and throw in all these other considerations to justify the price discrepancy.
Those show me your setup things are mostly pandering to people that feel they have something to "show off". You should know that. A lot of people just have a decent $4-600 60-65" 4K TV and have one console plugged into it. And that is perfectly ok. And make no mistake about it, even within the PC space, you can see that budget is a thing. Just look at Steam, thankfully they do a great job at tracking these things.

You can see what percentage of PC gamers game at 1080p/1440p/4K, with a $400 GPU, $600 GPU, $1000+ GPU, 6, 8,12 core CPU.....etc. Its all right there.

The second you take a cursory glance at that data, two things will quickly become apparent to you, its either that PC gamers and/or the PC gaming media is full of blatant hypocrites, or its that nearly 95% of all the PC gaming advocates/media outlets we have or we come across, consists of the like 3-5% of the PC gamers that can actually afford those systems that can run games the way they seem to demand or expect games to run at those Ultra settings and high framerates. Which would make them the loudest minority in the history of loud minorities.

Its just not real. And the sooner people accept that there are a LOT of people that really take gaming as a hobby and see no reason why they spend more than $500 on a gaming device every 5-7 years, and or just do not like gaming on PC, and that this has been the case since gaming consoles existed... the better for everyone.

Actually, there is a valid counterargument to that, i.e., "If we put our games to their platforms and abandon our own closed ecosystem, then we also lose billions of dollars that we get from third-party software sales share."

^ This is why Nintendo and PlayStation haven't followed this path. And why Xbox didn't follow this path even after failing for 10+ years consecutively.

The only problem/reason why this counterargument does not work for Xbox anymore is because their userbase doesn't buy games as much. They don't sell as many first-party games (100% revenue) or third-party games (30% revenue). A lot of their userbase also don't buy their subscription service at full price either.

So the potential revenue they can earn on other platforms turns out to be more than the revenue they'd lose if they maintain their own platform.

Right on point

If software sales were higher on the Xbox Store, they wouldn't need to go third party... That's the final nail in the coffin

That's also why it didn't make any sense to me why they allowed their games to be sold via Steam on PC

Last edited:
Top Bottom