• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer: announcement this week

LordCBH

GF8ZY78a4AA-HCk

I will sell my PS5 in a fit of UNBIRDLED RAGE if Redfall comes to PS5.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
At no point in any of this has anyone seriously suggested that they will stop making consoles... not any time soon, anyway. This is classic deflection strategy, but it's poorly done.

'Don't worry, this thing you've been worried about isn't happening!'

'That's not the thing we're worried about. What about that?'

'Wait until next week!'

Yeesh.
Yes. Well said.

The "Xbox console will go away" is considered more of a long-term repercussions of their announcements next week, not the main announcement next week.

The rumors are about Xbox putting some of their games on PlayStation and Nintendo, paving the way for potential future releases as well. If the next business update has that (and even nothing else), it means the OG rumors were true.

Hero of Spielberg

Gold Member
Jeff Gerstman had a good point. Microsofts biggest games, COD and Minecraft, are already third party.

And looking at the numbers both these games make so much more money being multi platform so it makes sense to put all the games multi platform.

If you a Xbox console die hard you can still play there.
Gerstman is basically a recluse streaming from his bedroom at this point. Not sure how much insight/ credibility he has left

Gerstman is basically a recluse streaming from his bedroom at this point. Not sure how much insight/ credibility he has left

Gerstman is one of the more reasonable/credible journalists in this space, far moreso than the toxic xbox twitter crowd that delusionally believe Xbox will never be held to any kind of ROI and that MS is willing to throw money out the window to appease the Xbox hardcore loyalists forever

Last edited:

Hero of Spielberg

Gold Member
Gerstman is one of the more reasonable/credible journalists in this space, far moreso than the toxic xbox twitter crowd that delusionally believe Xbox will never be held to any kind of ROI and that MS is willing to throw money out the window to appease the Xbox hardcore loyalists forever
Anyone looks credible compared to wackos on Twitter

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism

I think that's a fair assessment.

I am onboard with what Tom Warren said. Only a few very high-level Microsoft execs actually know what's happening. It's not an "Xbox only" thing anymore, so only a select few people would be aware of what's going on. Not even all of Xbox leadership would know.

Everything else that most folks are saying -- positive or negative -- is either speculation or false information.

Last edited:

RoboEight

I mean it depends what would be going to other platforms and in some instances it makes sense. A game like Sea of Thieves could use a player boost and as a service game it makes sense, hell even Halo Infinite f2p multiplayer would make sense and if anything would be a nice boost for the community in terms of numbers which haven't been that great. I dunno I don't see the issue with these types of things and if they wanna keep it exclusive for a year or a few months and then release it elsewhere who cares if anything it makes the dev studios more money to fund other projects the game pass cheque can only stretch so far. MS is not gonna be a major contender and hasn't been for awhile so if MS bring some games to other platforms it only makes sense and is a smart business move from them because they will only benefit from it. It is obvious imo that MS are definitely going all in with digital and their cloud services and judging by the potential leaked console it pretty much looks that way. They will most likely rely heavily on GP still and market it as a "play free on GP or spend $70 elsewhere" type deal. I'm really like my XSX so I hope it isn't much worse but if it is then so be it I mean people acting like them going third party will leave Sony to dominate when they already do I doubt much would change.

pasterpl

So, I really doubt this is all confined to SoT and Hi Fi Rush.
Sot, Minecraft, CoD, Warzone, Elders scrolls online, state of decay (that wouldn’t surprise me), overwatch, Diablo, quake, if they do it - candy crush Console edition ;) etc. i wouldnt be surprised that this list is even longer. Don’t expect Halo(maybe on MP element), Forza, Gears, Fable and any other SP game (unless game was in development for PS and/or switch as well, before MS acquisition of a company (hifirush, starfield). If ms acquire palworld I expect this to be on all platforms.
Multi-device means.....platform agnostic, no?
Not this same. Reminder MS already publish games on Xbox, pc (incl. steam), steam deck, mobile (xcloud) + remember ubisoft got cloud agreement with MS and Ubisoft is platform agnostic, Nintendo and Sony got their own agreements with MS re ABK that covers next 10 years.

Last edited:

Bernardougf

Gold Member
Ahhh so is just people friendly chating about bringing Gears of War or Starfield or whatever to Playstation.... nobody know whats happening... Im pretty sure in Sony's HQ is the same thing, people walking and friendly chating everyday about maybe bringing Last of Us or God of War to xbox. Just another day in the office. Nothing to see here.

buenoblue

Lol true🤣 it's still a fact though that microsofts two biggest earners are multiplatform. Just something I hadn't considered.

If they are seeing how much money games make multi platform compared to exclusive I guarantee the math makes sense.

Oh and I bet bet Jeff is making more money than he has in his life 🤷‍♂️ and that he knows more about gaming than 99% of people out there. Jeff Gerstman is still a threat!

DJ12

Now i get the feeling that they saw everyone panicking and they are using this week to re plan everything. A final push/chance for "Team Exclusives" inside Xbox?
Cope?

You think Nadella gives a shit about some twatter and YouTube idiots being up in arms?

This is purely about the numbers, and the lack of profit.

Pandering to those people won't change the situation.

These people won't ever pay full price fro games or even gamepass.

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Cope?

You think Nadella gives a shit about some twatter and YouTube idiots being up in arms?

This is purely about the numbers, and the lack of profit.

Pandering to those people won't change the situation.

These people won't ever pay full price fro games or even gamepass.
[BREAKING] - Satya cancels multiplatform plans and the Business Update event.

"Timdog has already left us. I don't care about money; I just can't see them like this anymore. My people are suffering. All games to remain exclusive, and Game Pass will be free!"

Miguel Herrera Win GIF

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Not really, Nate just jumped in for 'I knew too' brags when in reality he didn't and still doesn't know anything.
That is true. Also, it's so messy because almost each game's rumor has come from a different source lol.
  • Hi-Fi Rush = NatetheHate
  • Sea of Thieves = Jeff Grubb
  • Starfield = Xbox Era
  • Indiana Jones = Tom Warren
  • Gears of War = Jeff Grubb

The fundamental issue is that Xbox console just does not sell. And with increasing game development prices Game Pass is becoming a money pit where they burn money without receiving much in return. I think it is profitable, but margins are probably low.

You have games that need 6m in sales to break even and then you release them Day 1 in Game Pass. And for what? Considering that users don't buy consoles.

Im pretty sure in Sony's HQ is the same thing, people walking and friendly chating everyday about maybe bringing Last of Us or God of War to xbox
I am pretty sure there are discussions internally about Day 1 releases on PC at least. It is just that nothing leaks from Sony due to lack of connections.

Last edited:

Elios83

So are they going to announce when this business update event exactly is?
Or are they going to drop it as a PR in a random moment next week, or is it a video with Phil trying to explain why going multiplatform is a victory for Xbox? :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
So are they going to announce when this business update event exactly is?
Or are they going to drop it as a PR in a random moment next week, or is it a video with Phil trying to explain why going multiplatform is a victory for Xbox? :messenger_grinning_sweat:
Most likely a shadow drop. I believe this event is primarily for shareholders, not the Xbox community / gamers, so no point in letting them know in advance.

We may get leaks from folks like Tom Warren about the date and timing of the event though.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Most likely a shadow drop. I believe this event is primarily for shareholders, not the Xbox community / gamers, so no point in letting them know in advance.

We may get leaks from folks like Tom Warren about the date and timing of the event though.

"Shadow drop", it's not a games show :p

It's probably either gonna be a detailed blog post or maybe a 10 minute pre-recorded video message / youtube clip.

Cyborg

At this point I wouldn't be surprised if nothing changes. Phill we state we will decide per game if it's multi or exclusive

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
At this point I wouldn't be surprised if nothing changes. Phill we state we will decide per game if it's multi or exclusive
That's going to be the most likely response anyway. "We will decide case by case." Except then, we will see 9/10 games going multiplatform.

They would want to diffuse the tension now. The best way is to give something semi-positive and then postpone the reality to the future. They aren't going to port everything together anyway. Ports/releases are always spread out, to spread out the revenue and avoid cannibalization. So no point in saying it now that everything will be multiplatform.

They will start with a couple of titles at first (As Dusk Falls, Hi-Fi Rush, Sea of Thieves, etc.). And they'd hope that people would be used to the idea by the time they get to titles like Gears of War, Starfield, Indiana Jones, Halo, etc.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Last edited:

That's like saying that sooner or later all will be multi...

That's not a real answer, it's avoiding to answer the question

Last edited:

Elios83

That's their current position already though, at least relatively to Bethesda and Activision stuff. So while it is an appealing option to hide behind PR-fluff it's a card they already played and hence does not warrant a "business update about their future vision".

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I bet this thing will end up being a pretty boring standard message and they get panned for it not being a big showcase next.

I don't think this is going to be a Developer Direct style thing if that's what you're saying.

No but a discussion about games will be in it. I wouldn't be surprised if they announced which ones are going to other platforms. Assuming the rumors are true of course. Plus a shadow drop of titles on those platforms could be possible.

Well, you also think it'll be the most likely line so context is kinda irrelevant here :p

This dude is such a salty bitch. He made a tweet the other day about FF7R-2 and the "Power of EXCLUSIVITY".

And? It's not on Sony that they've made smart decisions and capitalized on Microsoft's missteps when it comes to JRPGs, etc.

It's not on Sony that the exclusives they've chosen have been much more quality titles than what Microsoft bought out and then shat out(Redfall). It's not on Sony that Halo is a former shadow, or Fable is still lost in the wilderness.

He's been sour grapes from the moment people fought the ABK deal, then when it passed it was all great, until they kicked almost 2000 people to the curb.

He's ridiculous.

Top Bottom