• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer: announcement this week

DaGwaphics

Guys im a free agent now, any PS5 factions have some opens spots? I cant take being on the losing team anymore im wasting my prime here like Barry Sanders

That's no fun really. You want to be on the underdog team because it puts you in the weakest position to debate a fellow fighter from while at the same time increasing the likelihood of engagement since you are a natural contrarian to more of your peers. Basic rules man, basic rules. :messenger_winking_tongue:

Solarstrike

Gold Member
Fable IV?

Dave Vegetable GIF by Xbox

Mr.Phoenix

Then the rumors are mostly true. Otherwise there would be absolutely no reason whatsoever to let this shitstorm cause this much drama.
Well, there are only two reasons MS would let this continue or play out like it has.

1. The rumors are not just true, but not even as bad as it all really is. And they would kinda just let the thing self-destruct and become as chaotic as possible so when they come and talk, anything positive they say would have more significance because everything is shit already. Or...

2. Everything, and I mean everything that has been rumored is false. And its the exact opposite that is about to happen. And they announce that they are even buying new publishers and more exclusives, GTA6 timed exclusive to Xbox, price dropping XSX to $199, basically, Xbox Heaven is opening up next week.
Only two outcomes I can imagine to explain why MS has decided to allow the rumors to feed into themselves. When all this could have been dispelled with a simple post in under 120 words. This is the literal embodiment of the saying "silence is loud".

Killjoy-NL

Well, there are only two reasons MS would let this continue or play out like it has.

1. The rumors are not just true, but not even as bad as it all really is. And they would kinda just let the thing self-destruct and become as chaotic as possible so when they come and talk, anything positive they say would have more significance because everything is shit already. Or...

2. Everything, and I mean everything that has been rumored is false. And its the exact opposite that is about to happen. And they announce that they are even buying new publishers and more exclusives, GTA6 timed exclusive to Xbox, price dropping XSX to $199, basically, Xbox Heaven is opening up next week.
Only two outcomes I can imagine to explain why MS has decided to allow the rumors to feed into themselves. When all this could have been dispelled with a simple post in under 120 words. This is the literal embodiment of the saying "silence is loud".
I dunno. 1 is plausible.

2 is no option. There's far too much smoke and things are very bad already. All these rumors will only accelerate the decline for Xbox.

It's either 1. Or MS will discontinue Xbox, rebrand it and transition into full 3rd party.

King Dazzar

I think there will be a load of hollow reassurance around how important Xbox gamers and the console is, but that they want gamers to also enjoy their games on all systems, wherever they are. It'll be a load of positive spin, but the end reality result being that they want money from wherever and whatever platform they can get it and their own console is no longer the primary focus (I dont think it has been for some time now).

Astray

Glad you are not asking for specific info because I tried to get some and struck out :)
It's understandable given how sensitive this update is, this could set the tone for shareholders relations for YEARS. Whoever leaked the info earlier is probably nailed to the wall rn.
I THINK Phil says they are staying in the hardware business but talking about their handheld and saying something like they are deep into development of their next gen box
I agree on this, I would be super shocked if Phil doesn't say something to this effect. It would signal that his faction completely lost the internal fight.

I think the hardware leaks are kind of their way of saying "we were trying" to the community.

Some games will go multiplat but not all

Gamepass as we know could be in trouble
I agree on the gamepass part, but I think they will likely announce full multiplat. Mainly because going "we're porting Sea of Thieves and HiFi Rush" by itself (or some other random combination of games) is just gonna be confusing to shareholders that didn't really care about the gaming division pre-ABK.

leizzra

I think there is also other reason - some of the rumors are right. Then they couldn’t come and say that the rumors are fals but not all of them. Because Spencer didn’t denied it and said that they have something to say it suggests that the case is more complicated and simple yes or no won’t do.

The bad thing is that they are taking to long to prepare the announcement and the internet is boiling. Maybe they didn’t plan this or they deliberately wait this long so that the people will create the worse theories. In the end it won’t be as bad (at least for now) so the bad news will be better then people feared.

Anyway changes are coming.

I still don't get why send hifi over to make more money but keep doom and es6 to drown. They will eventually be doing it all.

This is my only issue about the "only some games go multiplat". No one is going to believe that. It's a waste of time and lost revenue and it does nothing for your ecosystem. How many people are going to stay with Xbox because "some exclusives are staying" and who the hell is going to believe them anyways?

If they go multiplat go all in or don't do it at all.

Last edited:
iN5jLAk.jpg

He's trying to walk back his part in spreading these rumors, but at this point it doesn't matter. Trying to peg a big overhaul "business update" to just late ports of HiFi Rush & Sea of Thieves at full price on other consoles, with Phil not only being cognizant of the rumors in his Monday tweet, but also doing nothing to debunk them in spite of the goodwill damage it's been doing to diehards the entire week...does not sound like a reasonable conclusion.

In fact it sounds like a complete cope IMHO. But on Nate's part, this could just be some reverse psychology or ginning themselves up to act surprised if/when next week's announcements are actually large changes that in part (or wholly) confirm the initial rumors (I'm referring to the Discord leak, not the stuff others were piggybacking off of).

I think making anything fair game after a year but still case by case, as a stalking horse to a non-exclusive future across the board, can maybe thread the needle for them.

It’s clear that exclusives are losing appeal to all sides to a varying degree, but you can’t really jump too far too soon on your own.

I feel like Microsoft are about to double down rather than exit, but they see (and want) a console less future (or at least a future where consoles are not the primary way to play).

I’m enjoying how the spin of ‘doesn’t matter what they say’ has started even before they say it. That’s a far cry from the heady exuberance and optimism of earlier in the week from those dancing on Xbox’s grave.

Xbox’s Mark Twain moment? Reports of their death have been greatly exaggerated?

Gudji

iN5jLAk.jpg

He's trying to walk back his part in spreading these rumors, but at this point it doesn't matter. Trying to peg a big overhaul "business update" to just late ports of HiFi Rush & Sea of Thieves at full price on other consoles, with Phil not only being cognizant of the rumors in his Monday tweet, but also doing nothing to debunk them in spite of the goodwill damage it's been doing to diehards the entire week...does not sound like a reasonable conclusion.

In fact it sounds like a complete cope IMHO. But on Nate's part, this could just be some reverse psychology or ginning themselves up to act surprised if/when next week's announcements are actually large changes that in part (or wholly) confirm the initial rumors (I'm referring to the Discord leak, not the stuff others were piggybacking off of).
Next on the NateDrake show: "Forget about 3rd party MS decided to buy Sony". Give it a couple more days.

Mr.Phoenix

This is my only issue about the "only some games go multiplat". No one is going to believe that. It's a waste of time and lost revenue and it does nothing for your ecosystem. How many people are going to stay with Xbox because "some exclusives are staying" and who the hell is going to believe them anyways?

If they go multiplat go all in or don't do it at all.
Personally, I think that is just bullshit. That whole only some games are coming is simply because saying everything is on PlayStation just sounds bad. The mere fact that they are even in a position where they need to put some stuff on PlayStation means that everything can/will come over eventually.

The only positive spin I see is that gamepass day 1 still remains a thing. But they won't say that may even get axed at some point either. At this point, their own platform clearly cant give them the kinda returns they want, I believe any game they feel can do well on other platforms will go to other platforms. But for now, they just announce like two or three games coming to other platforms and say everything else going forward will keep being exclusive and handled on a case-by-case basis.

Basically, our games are exclusive to Xbox until they arent.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
iN5jLAk.jpg

Why the hell would an 'insider' who leaks stuff for all platforms need to do reverse psychology in this case lol.

This new rumor, just like all the other ones before, is just as uncredible as any before it, unless officially confirmed.

Why the hell would an 'insider' who leaks stuff for all platforms need to do reverse psychology in this case lol.

This new rumor, just like all the other ones before, is just as uncredible as any before it, unless officially confirmed.

Nate flip-flops too much. He doesn't know anything(on this stuff) period.

If HeisenbergFX4 HeisenbergFX4 says friends in high places have no idea what the fuck is going on, Drake certainly doesn't have a damned clue.

He's looking for a bit of fame.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member

Or "officially denied". Fact is all this remains on Microsoft because they won't address it and are kicking the can into next week at some unannounced event. This has been going on for weeks now.

I think making anything fair game after a year but still case by case, as a stalking horse to a non-exclusive future across the board, can maybe thread the needle for them.

It’s clear that exclusives are losing appeal to all sides to a varying degree, but you can’t really jump too far too soon on your own.

I feel like Microsoft are about to double down rather than exit, but they see (and want) a console less future (or at least a future where consoles are not the primary way to play).

I’m enjoying how the spin of ‘doesn’t matter what they say’ has started even before they say it. That’s a far cry from the heady exuberance and optimism of earlier in the week from those dancing on Xbox’s grave.

Xbox’s Mark Twain moment? Reports of their death have been greatly exaggerated?

Yes, they're going to double down on a console that is losing them $100 - $200 per unit sold, thanks to its business model, and is pacing behind XBO, itself considered a failure commercially by many.

The only way MS can "double down" on Xbox is by removing Day 1 from Game Pass, Day 1 from PC, and potentially violating agreed-upon concessions set with regulators for the biggest acquired IP to make them exclusive immediately (or much sooner than agreed-upon dates).

Moving away from PC does a lot more harm for Microsoft in gaming than moving away from Xbox consoles (consoles in the strictest sense. Maybe they still keep hardware around but sold more like PC gaming devices).

Well IIRC, it was Nate, Grubb and others who were specifically naming games like Halo, Starfield etc. The original Discord leak/rumor didn't specify games beyond HiFi Rush and Sea of Thieves, to my knowledge, and the other contents were pertaining to macro-scale plans of change but not really specifics into them.

Everything else about that leak has happened, which is why it's the most credible. It really could have been a disgruntled former higher-up employee in the gaming division posting under an alias, who knows. But they weren't providing microscopic details like some of these other people have been doing to add onto it.

The reverse psychology bit...that could simply be for themselves. To numb shock in case the most drastic stuff ends up happening after all. Like a calm before the storm.

Although, ironically you have a point: if people like Nate didn't actually know what they were saying before, how are they suddenly knowing that the impending announcement is "no big deal"?

Last edited:

havoc00

How's your kid smoove boi? Whilst I dont wish people harm, I was quietly hoping he'd suffered permanent loss of his voice in all this. He does need to pay penance for that tune. How'd it go again? "gamepaaaass, gamepaaaass, I might need to always pee, but I like to play for free, game paaass, game paaaass, phil gives it to me in the ass, but he's real top class, gamepaaas gamepaaaas"
MLB for free ponies gotta pay a fee

havoc00

That's no fun really. You want to be on the underdog team because it puts you in the weakest position to debate a fellow fighter from while at the same time increasing the likelihood of engagement since you are a natural contrarian to more of your peers. Basic rules man, basic rules. :messenger_winking_tongue:
Fine I’ll run back to 3do and sega lol

Yes, they're going to double down on a console that is losing them $100 - $200 per unit sold, thanks to its business model, and is pacing behind XBO, itself considered a failure commercially by many.
I didn’t say double down on a console… Microsoft have not been focussed on a console for a while now - it’s part of their strategy yes, at least for now anyway because it remains a necessity at the moment, but not even close to half of it.

They have been open about this, but people don’t seem to have been listening.

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
MS has gotten scared and changed their minds multiple times in the past. For all the shit people give Xbox consumers for putting up with anything, they wrecked MS on the Live price hike, on the Xbone generally, and now this.

I don't believe anything they say at this point. Couldn't even answer a simple question about Blade. They are running scared, but everyone knows at this point - even if they supposedly change their mind.

DJ12

MS has gotten scared and changed their minds multiple times in the past. For all the shit people give Xbox consumers for putting up with anything, they wrecked MS on the Live price hike, on the Xbone generally, and now this.

I don't believe anything they say at this point. Couldn't even answer a simple question about Blade. They are running scared, but everyone knows at this point - even if they supposedly change their mind.
That was just Phil though, be surprise if Nadella gives a shit. These people aren't making him any money.

Yeah, that’s what it will be - they changed their minds… No chance that this was internet nobodies just making stuff up for clicks :messenger_tears_of_joy:

microsoft changing their decision on the fly based on social media response?
possible..........

This is supposedly a multi-billion dollar gaming division, by the way. But you'd never know it if they're letting reactions online fundamentally shape their biggest business decisions.

I didn’t say double down on a console… Microsoft have not been focussed on a console for a while now - it’s part of their strategy yes, at least for now anyway because it remains a necessity at the moment, but not even close to half of it.

They have been open about this, but people don’t seem to have been listening.

Console is what drives Game Pass growth, and Game Pass on console means nothing without exclusive games. Actual exclusives, I might add; the Day 1 PC stuff is counter-intuitive to that (especially when they have actual PC timed exclusives, like Ara 2).

So if they want a strategy that doesn't involve more fully publishing as a multiplat on Sony & Nintendo systems, one that boosts their (otherwise) main growth platform for endgame things like Game Pass...why would "double down" not suggest pushing exclusives to the console? Because that's how you achieve those other goals.

MS are probably weighing if it's worth the financial risk at this point to do so. Maybe they give 2024 one final push for the Xbox hardware, they hold back some of the big games from going to PC and Game Pass Day 1, they push perks for big games for Game Pass subs on the console, they get aggressive with marketing for games like COD etc. And if the 2024 numbers don't do well, then they go full steam ahead with a lot of what's suggested in those original rumors.

As to people questioning the validity of those rumors, well remember...didn't the first leaks about Series X and S specs come about in like early 2018? 2019? And in most aspects they were correct all along (like with the TF, for example)? It's not unusual for Xbox-related rumors for things happening later down the line, to leak very early and still end up more or less accurate. There's still more stock in that initial rumor leak than some of the backtracking a few are kind of trying to do now before we get to next week.

adamsapple

Next week is going to be great. :messenger_beaming:

Phil Spencer walks on stage

"We are proud to announce that the award winning Hi-Fi Rush is coming to Playstation 5 and Nintendo Switch"

Jim Ryan walks from the back and taps Phil on the shoulder

"There's another thing"

*trailer*

"You know Ellie, we really are the last of us .. on the Xbox consoles"

DJ12

The biggest problem is that there's just way too many insiders on twitter, every insider who has a podcast was rattling off different game names over the last week.

They have to get those views and clicks so their part in perpetuating unsubstantiated shit is not surprising.
Not true, jezza named gears of War, xbox era referencing a source at ms, probs butt hurt Aaron, dropped starfield into the chat and cannot remember who named hifi rush but we did have the data mined shirts or whatever.

So who exactly are all these leakers dropping names of games?

Gudji

Phil Spencer walks on stage

"We are proud to announce that the award winning Hi-Fi Rush is coming to Playstation 5 and Nintendo Switch"

Jim Ryan walks from the back and taps Phil on the shoulder

"There's another thing"

*trailer*

"You know Ellie, we really are the last of us .. on the Xbox consoles"
"We just bought Playstation suck it ponies"

Ass of Can Whooping Ass of Can Whooping goes into hiding for the rest of his life.

Console is what drives Game Pass growth, and Game Pass on console means nothing without exclusive games. Actual exclusives, I might add; the Day 1 PC stuff is counter-intuitive to that (especially when they have actual PC timed exclusives, like Ara 2).
Not saying you’re wrong, but am going to point out that’s your opinion, not fact.

Microsoft have been pretty clear that they believe console stifles Game Pass growth, so they would seem to disagree with you (as do I, but that’s just my opinion, not fact).

spons

Gold Member
Some good reads, thicc_girls_are_teh_best thicc_girls_are_teh_best .

I don't get the backtrack by Nate, but then again I do: it's all for the moment of fame.
He could've just waited it out and accept his loss after the event, but that would rob him of this.
Now he's basically "could be true, could be nonsense" and anything that's actually announced next week could be spun in his favor. I dislike that behavior to be honest.

adamsapple

Not true, jezza named gears of War, xbox era referencing a source at ms, probs butt hurt Aaron, dropped starfield into the chat and cannot remember who named hifi rush but we did have the data mined shirts or whatever.

So who exactly are all these leakers dropping names of games?

Jizz had a different game, Nick_shipel had a different game, Xboxera said Starfield is coming to PS5 etc. Now 2 different insiders are saying Starfield isn't coming to PS5 (for the time being at least).

I'd say Henderson is probably the most reliable insider of the bunch. Schreier has not broken much news about it, otherwise he's usually pretty spot-on too.

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
Yeah, that’s what it will be - they changed their minds… No chance that this was internet nobodies just making stuff up for clicks :messenger_tears_of_joy:
I mean, journalists had to go to Disney gaming head to ask what is going on with Blade and still didn't get an answer. Sorry but that's bullshit. It's a 1st party studio. Explain what is going on with your promised games or people will stop listening to the bullshit. Shady non-answers that mask what is happening is not going to cut it. We have actual evidence on As Dusk Falls, Hi-Fi Rush, they're now talking about Sea of Thieves, and what else? Blade probably, all with no comment. I'm losing count. Those are just the "credible" ones. Oh and physical games getting dropped with no official PR or comment. I'm forgetting what else. That's before we even get to the internet BS on top.

They actually have communicated very well for several years, up until about 6 months ago. Sorry, but I don't trust anything they're saying at this point. Just look at Larry Hyrb's tweets. He's literally spelling it out publicly.

And worst of all, they put cheap old shit like Resident Evil 3 on GP. I find that offensive.

Last edited:
Not saying you’re wrong, but am going to point out that’s your opinion, not fact.

Microsoft have been pretty clear that they believe console stifles Game Pass growth, so they would seem to disagree with you (as do I, but that’s just my opinion, not fact).

When did they say that? I know they've said growth stagnated on console, but that doesn't necessarily mean the same thing.

The only thing that supports the idea that console hampers Game Pass growth, is that Linkedn profile from an employee that said '10 million Xbox, 15 million PC Game Pass' (I'm paraphrasing). Even though revenue-wise, Xbox Game Pass would make up more of the share.

Honestly, IMO the thing that hampers Game Pass is the fact it's a subscription service. Multi-game sub services just seem to have an innate cap regardless of the platform availability. People don't consume games the same way they do (or can) movies, TV shows, books or music.

Some good reads, thicc_girls_are_teh_best thicc_girls_are_teh_best .

I don't get the backtrack by Nate, but then again I do: it's all for the moment of fame.
He could've just waited it out and accept his loss after the event, but that would rob him of this.
Now he's basically "could be true, could be nonsense" and anything that's actually announced next week could be spun in his favor. I dislike that behavior to be honest.

Sadly it comes with the territory for most insiders. Not many stand their ground ("hold the line", lel) when the rumors don't pan out. Either that, or they forget about the rumor altogether and move on to the next one.

But there are some who do admit when they were wrong. And most of the time, at some point the rumor may've been true but the source gave them a slip at a late timeframe so the info could've been outdated. There's only maybe two insiders/leakers who I know are complete BS & do it only for the attention, and they're both on Twitter, and I have them blocked.

Last edited:

DJ12

Jizz had a different game, Nick_shipel had a different game, Xboxera said Starfield is coming to PS5 etc. Now 2 different insiders are saying Starfield isn't coming to PS5 (for the time being at least).

I'd say Henderson is probably the most reliable insider of the bunch. Schreier has not broken much news about it, otherwise he's usually pretty spot-on too.
Sorry Adam, but your just saying that as its the most palletable outcome.

And it was jezza.

Top Bottom