• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer "I honestly don't goal the team on how many units Sony sells"

stryke

And I find gamers easily forgave Sony for the PS3 mistakes very fast, while people are not willing to forgive MS.

If there were any forgiveness during last gen then there was very little of it. Playstation's performance continued business as usual everywhere except US and UK where they got slaughtered and never gained back any ground. Only now is Playstation getting back on its feet in these territories.

truth411

PS4 has 3 great games that are not available on X1 in the last month only, Galak Z, Rocket League and Everybody Gone to the rapture

The way these titles are ignored here is baffling to me. Sony is not resting at all giving their historic E3 and pushing Morpheous while allowing more games to their platform, PS4 is selling better because it has more games, more exclusives, better indie support and better performing console multiplat in addition to great OS features (SP and RP).
You haven't heard? Only western AAA Retail exclusive games during the Holiday season counts. :p

He does have a bit of a point on the remaster quality though. I mean you have Halo and Gears and Rare's collection being done incredibly well, with multiple games and improvements, and supplemented by backwards compatibility titles and the Uncharted collection being the only other comparable package on the PS4. TLOU, GOW on PS4 are just a single game, which while done quite well, is not the same "value" as a whole suite of games in one. Think we could get a Killzone, Ratchet, Resistance, Infamous collections and so forth where you could have multiple top games bundled together in nice smooth packages to catch players up to PS4 games in the same series.

I'm not getting dragged into list wars mate.

Nesther

This. So much this.

Of course they have targets and numbers they wish to reach. As long as they reach them, they probably don't care too much how many consoles Sony are selling.

It's not like the CEOs from MS and Sony meet up and have their own list wars.

Oh man, the thought of that is just absolutely hilarious.

nib95

Banned
It counts on one side apparently.

He was being facetious. The point being that if you accept those games count for the Xbox One (keeping it from otherwise having a completely baron first 3/4's of a year), then by the same token, about 40+ console exclusives so far already released on the PS4 this year, should count as well, completely eviscerating the notion that there haven't been enough exclusives released on the console.

Lmao at some of these clowns and their shitposting. How many times are people going to omit things to suit their preferred piece of plastic?

Xbox one has been doing great so far. Great game line-up this year and the next. Sony is doing a little to no effort when it comes to first party games. Uncharted 4 and Horizon are the only noticeable exclusives. Remastered games that are a rip-off compared to MS offers, and rely heavily on third party partnership. They are doing great sales-wise, but really lacking exclusives games.

whatever it is you smokin' , gimme sum a dat

but in all seriousness, in regards to the bolded, is there any remaster on ps4 that is anywhere as bad as the MCC?

please do tell

The turn-around for Xbox has been steering in the positive, it's something they should of done from the start. They're always going to have an uphill battle to win their audience back after the mess that is pre-launch XB1.

Catching up to Sony at this point is almost impossible especially when it comes to certain markets that want nothing to do with the Xbox, Phil sees it and just wants to focus on games, which should be a good thing.

The Playstation brand made a comeback towards the end of last gen, and while I do suffer from PSenvy from time to time, there's really nothing on the console that's coming out that says "buy me!" right now. Maybe SFV and Uncharted 4, but that's 2016.

Xbox one has been doing great so far. Great game line-up this year and the next. Sony is doing a little to no effort when it comes to first party games. Uncharted 4 and Horizon are the only noticeable exclusives. Remastered games that are a rip-off compared to MS offers, and rely heavily on third party partnership. They are doing great sales-wise, but really lacking exclusives games.

7Fnv2A9.gif

watership

whatever it is you smokin' , gimme sum a dat

but in all seriousness, in regards to the bolded, is there any remaster on ps4 that is anywhere as bad as the MCC?

please do tell

There is no remaster that was that broken... ever. He should have just said, "I'll take new games over remasters". That I agree with. This gen is gone full remaster stupid.

hipbabboom

Huh? What did I say? Did I screw up again? :(
HOLY SHIT GUYS! This damned guy sounds so salty. This is seriously embarrassing... I mean fucking LOL on the delusion factor here. Like OP said, he wants to win but as though he ever could! He set himself up to be revealed as a fraud the instance he made that statement a year ago. MS was never honest about wanting second place and are trying to deceive people into thinking they could ever be first and now he's pulling another Xbox 180 all over again... and I'm like "What year is this?" You would never hear honest companies ever state they wanted to take first place when there's a clear deficit between them and the market leader. You always hear companies trying to dodge their real feelings saying things like "Its a marathon, not a sprint"... bullshit salty asses! So you don't want first place now Phil? You think you can beat Sony? Sure... go ahead and tell your team to make a game that can sell infinity and see if that will get you any closer to the king. You can't sell greatness Phil... you missed that boat now STFU and stop spreading fud! Fucking LOL!

Elios83

He starts to sound a bit salty.
He clearly isn't getting the sales he'd like to see and he definetly cares about how many units Sony sells, also things aren't going their way with third party support.

Sakujou

Banned

i didnt know that i have become this infamous ㅠ.ㅠ

anyway, ffxv and kh3 arent exclusives anymore (or the series in general).

shenmue 3 and ff7r arent "exclusives" (only timed ones).

iam interested in games such as cuphead and d4. original games, no successors, remakes, hd ports.

as much as everyone (ms and sony) are thriving into multis and remakes over and over again i like the approach of having an exclusive selection of videogames on a system (like nintendo). buying multigames is not the reason for buying a system.

and i feel that phil spencer is doing good but he clearly has seen how don mattrick and that other dude have fucked up x1 beyond repair.

its rarely the stuff sony brings which is innovative, ms clearly showed in the past how the gaming way has to be paved.

joecanada

Didn't Sony lay-off a lot of Sucker Punch, Sony Santa Monica and Evolution? They also don't seem like to partner up with RAD after The Order bombed.

Sony as a whole isn't doing well anyway but let's wait and see. Hope they come up with something.

LOL they came up with something alright ... you may have heard of the ps4 recently? sold about 20 million??? No? Oh ok, that explains a lot.

Walpurgis

Banned
Didn't Sony lay-off a lot of Sucker Punch, Sony Santa Monica and Evolution? They also don't seem like to partner up with RAD after The Order bombed.

Sony as a whole isn't doing well anyway but let's wait and see. Hope they come up with something.

I didn't mention Evolution or Ready at Dawn since they just released games. Sucker Punch received layoffs for some reason (Second Son was a success) but it doesn't make a difference. They're still making games. There's no reason to think that they aren't. From what we know Santa Monica was working on a new God of War and a new IP. The new IP was cancelled and that team was fired. God of War is still being made. Things really aren't as bad for Sony as you're making them out to be.

Do you not see the difference between the resources of the two companies?

joecanada

its rarely the stuff sony brings which is innovative, ms clearly showed in the past how the gaming way has to be paved.

LOL this thread is gold. Gold Jerry Gold!!

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Cool beans. I hope the release of Quantum Break actually means that MS will start releasing big titles on a regular basis throughout the year.

Emedan

It's pretty annoying to see people using the argument "MS doesn't care about PS4 sales", "MS are doing great" and so on, it's simply not true.

Of course taking the most market share is top priority, every sold PS4 is a potential lost sale for MS since most consumers doesn't buy both. It's about making the maximum amount of money, not settling. How would you explain that to stock holders?

- "No no we don't want to sell as much as we can, were happy with seeing our market share shrink considerably since last generation, oh and by the way we also recieve less profit per system sold"

Also the XBO is not doing great, in relative or absolute terms it's doing shit. No way MS is happy where XBO is today sales wise, they thought this thing would be in every living room in the world more or less. So stop this nonsense. Doing better than the Wii U doesn't mean shit. It's a business.

The XBO is a monumental failure, it's as simple as that.

iam interested in games such as cuphead and d4. original games, no successors, remakes, hd ports.

as much as everyone (ms and sony) are thriving into multis and remakes over and over again i like the approach of having an exclusive selection of videogames on a system (like nintendo). buying multigames is not the reason for buying a system.

and i feel that phil spencer is doing good but he clearly has seen how don mattrick and that other dude have fucked up x1 beyond repair.

So PlayStation doesn't have new exclusives? Well, I guess horizon, dreams, bloodborne, tales of berseria, last gaurdian and all of the unannounced first party sony games like the one from bend don't exist right?

DannyButtermen

Neo Member
It's pretty annoying to see people using the argument "MS doesn't care about PS4 sales", "MS are doing great" and so on, it's simply not true.

Of course taking the most market share is top priority, every sold PS4 is a potential lost sale for MS since most consumers doesn't buy both. It's about making the maximum amount of money, not settling. How would you explain that to stock holders?

- "No no we don't want to sell as much as we can, were happy with seeing our market share shrink considerably since last generation, oh and by the way we also recieve less profit per system sold"

Also the XBO is not doing great, in relative or absolute terms it's doing shit. No way MS is happy where XBO is today sales wise, they thought this thing would be in every living room in the world more or less. So stop this nonsense. Doing better than the Wii U doesn't mean shit. It's a business.

trevino-head-shake.gif

Sakujou

Banned

i thought the xbo has done better than 360 if you compare the timeperiod from back then and what the xbo has dont till now?

and i think the competition has changed completely. back then no one had a media center as a living room. i think it has changed drastically since now you have to compete against of other things.

Shenmue

Banned

Ooh source on the Shenmue 3 timed exclusive? I'm glad it'll be on more places as this game needs to do well! I must have missed this news.

Phil should be concerned with making a console that players want to buy, and he should be concerned with competition if players are buying that instead.

Your lack of business sense is astounding.

hipbabboom

I think we did good guys. See you in the next thread when Phil Spencer tries to say some shit.

Sakujou

Banned
Ooh source on the Shenmue 3 timed exclusive? I'm glad it'll be on more places as this game needs to do well! I must have missed this news.

asssuming from your name you might know more than me, but the last thing i heard is that this game will hit ps4 first, after a timed exclusivity this game will hit other platforms. i thought this means pc and maaaaaybe xbox but i suppose thats up to suzuki and the contractors.

Phil should be concerned with making a console that players want to buy, and he should be concerned with competition if players are buying that instead.
the companies should make the best videogamesystem. instead we get a serious fucked up pc.
i dont want tv/recording features/music/VOD.
but this is what the majority likes and wants. as much as ms propagated that this is what most people enjoy on their playstation/xbox system.
:/

HOLY SHIT GUYS! This damned guy sounds so salty. This is seriously embarrassing... I mean fucking LOL on the delusion factor here. Like OP said, he wants to win but as though he ever could! He set himself up to be revealed as a fraud the instance he made that statement a year ago. MS was never honest about wanting second place and are trying to deceive people into thinking they could ever be first and now he's pulling another Xbox 180 all over again... and I'm like "What year is this?" You would never hear honest companies ever state they wanted to take first place when there's a clear deficit between them and the market leader. You always hear companies trying to dodge their real feelings saying things like "Its a marathon, not a sprint"... bullshit salty asses! So you don't want first place now Phil? You think you can beat Sony? Sure... go ahead and tell your team to make a game that can sell infinity and see if that will get you any closer to the king. You can't sell greatness Phil... you missed that boat now STFU and stop spreading fud! Fucking LOL!

Calm down bro.

etta

my hard graphic balls
Why doesn't Screamride, Ori and the Blind Forest, State of Decay, Happy Wars or Rare Replay, count?
Exactly what I was thinking.

mother-of-god-o.gif

Best. thread. ever.

Wynnebeck

Banned
Ok then, do you agree that NBA 2K should try to change based on NBA Live (if NBA Live was selling better, not necessarily being the better game) instead of focusing on how to make NBA 2K better?

Well considering that NBA 2K/NBA Live are humorously enough almost in the same type of position the PS4 and Xbone are in, I'll say this. When you have similar products, comparisons are made and one product will be deemed superior. While this does not mean that the 2nd place product should completely abandon their vision and their identity as a product, you better damn believe that the 2nd product is going to take a look at what makes the 1st product sell so much better and factor that into making their own product better while keeping their original identity.

MS has their own games and own agenda separate from Sony and that's perfectly fine. However, you would be naive to think that MS isn't looking into the reason why the sales gap between Xbone and PS4 is so huge and what can they incorporate from Sony's success into theirs and make their own console better for consumers. For example, do you think BC was something done out of the goodness of MS's heart? Not at all. They knew fans wanted BC and they saw that Sony had no plans for hardware level BC so they seized the opportunity to get one over on Sony. It's true competition and something that I feel MS realizes now that they can't compete with this generation, but are going to try and push as much as they can before it ends.

CoG

So PlayStation doesn't have new exclusives? Well, I guess horizon, dreams, bloodborne, tales of berseria, last gaurdian and all of the unannounced first party sony games like the one from bend don't exist right?

Don't forget that the sleeper hit of the year, Rocket League, is only on PS4 because of Microsoft's stupid policies.

Shenmue

Banned
asssuming from your name you might know more than me, but the last thing i heard is that this game will hit ps4 first, after a timed exclusivity this game will hit other platforms. i thought this means pc and maaaaaybe xbox but i suppose thats up to suzuki and the contractors.

Hmmm I think maybe that was old news and has since changed? PC and PS4 should release simultaneously as us backers will be able to pick either PC or PS4. Xbox hasn't been ruled out but I haven't heard anything about timed exclusivity. Hopefully it does hit more consoles later though. NX too!

Ray Down

Banned
Hmmm I think maybe that was old news and has since changed? PC and PS4 should release simultaneously as us backers will be able to pick either PC or PS4. Xbox hasn't been ruled out but I haven't heard anything about timed exclusivity. Hopefully it does hit more consoles later though. NX too!

There been no word on anything on Shenmue hitting other platforms outside of PS4 and PC or timed exclusivity. Plus with Sony helping in some ways I wouldn't be surprised if there is a clause about it being console exclusive.

Marceles

More at source: Source

I thought it was a very interesting contrast to the interview Phil Spencer's gave almost one year ago to the day when he said "I want to win this generation."

Actually here is the contrasting interview from a year ago where he talks about winning sales: I want to win this generation

What a difference a year makes. He sounds less confident than he did a in the older interview I posted. Perhaps he understands the potential of PS4's eventual "limited edition" Battlefront and BOPS3 bundles in the same season.

Sell me for less if old.

I don't know about him sounding less confident, but I think both companies have found that taking the humble, subtle approach brings them less backlash if any disappointment from hype they didn't expect arises.

Walpurgis

Banned

hipbabboom
(Today, 11:36 AM)
Yes, you did.

Melchiah

So we look at what released earlier this year and ignore what's coming.

Ok

And vice versa, if all the months preceding the brief holiday period are ignored. Not to mention the downloadable titles, that are often being excluded for one reason or another.

Top Bottom