• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer "I honestly don't goal the team on how many units Sony sells"

Killer

Banned
Xbox one has been doing great so far. Great game line-up this year and the next. Sony is doing a little to no effort when it comes to first party games. Uncharted 4 and Horizon are the only noticeable exclusives. Remastered games that are a rip-off compared to MS offers, and rely heavily on third party partnership. They are doing great sales-wise, but really lacking exclusives games.

I think the most important metric to the Xbox team is probably the number of paying Xbox Live consumers. That's the most important internal benchmark.

driver116

Xbox one has been doing great so far. Great game line-up this year and the next. Sony is doing a little to no effort when it comes to first party games. Uncharted 4 and Horizon are the only noticeable exclusives. Remastered games that are a rip-off compared to MS offers, and rely heavily on third party partnership. They are doing great sales-wise, but really lacking exclusives games.

Full of no facts as usual killer.

Walpurgis

Banned
That's just ridiculous.

The Kutaragi damage wasn't too great for the PS3 to overcome, there's no reason the Xbox One will be forever bound to Mattrick's mistakes.

Ignoring all the great strides the console has done in the past year and a half is borderline fanatical fanboyism.

Yes, the Xbox One will never be the worldwide sales leader. That doesn't mean it cannot be a very successful console.

Phil Spencer isn't innocent. He was very much a part of the "Mattrick mistakes". It's clear to anyone that the xbone has improved from those days but I wouldn't be surprised if Xbox revisited those ideas in the future.

snoop.png

watership

That's just ridiculous.

The Kutaragi damage wasn't too great for the PS3 to overcome, there's no reason the Xbox One will be forever bound to Mattrick's mistakes.

Ignoring all the great strides the console has done in the past year and a half is borderline fanatical fanboyism.

Yes, the Xbox One will never be the worldwide sales leader. That doesn't mean it cannot be a very successful console.

It can be, but perception is a hell of thing to overcome. I think it will sell pretty well by the end of the generation, depending on the global economy. Yet the ability to catch up as fast as the PS3 will be limited. I know people who still think the X1 has DRM issues. And I find gamers easily forgave Sony for the PS3 mistakes very fast, while people are not willing to forgive MS. You have people saying they will NEVER buy a MS product. I don't see that sort of willfull statement about a Sony or Nintendo product often.

Hmmm...joke post?

Both companies are doing re masters and putting out exclusives.

It can be, but perception is a hell of thing to overcome. I think it will sell pretty well by the end of the generation, depending on the global economy. Yet the ability to catch up as fast as the PS3 will be limited. I know people who still think the X1 has DRM issues. And I find gamers easily forgave Sony for the PS3 mistakes very fast, while people are not willing to forgive MS. You have people saying they will NEVER buy a MS product. I don't see that sort of willfull statement about a Sony or Nintendo product often.

There have been people making those proclamations since the original Xbox came out. If you dig a little deeper, I bet most of the people that claim that they would "never purchase a MS product" have been singing the same tune for years.

Tunavi

Banned
Yeah, I always hated the "you are a failure if you are not the number 1 selling console" way of thinking, it is simply not how companies are run. If the xbox one sells enough units to be profitable, it will be considered successful. A little disappointing maybe, but still successful.
If you are a global comglomerate and there are only two other consoles, 2nd place seems pretty bad.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Hmmm...joke post?

Both companies are doing re masters and putting out exclusives.

He does have a bit of a point on the remaster quality though. I mean you have Halo and Gears and Rare's collection being done incredibly well, with multiple games and improvements, and supplemented by backwards compatibility titles and the Uncharted collection being the only other comparable package on the PS4. TLOU, GOW on PS4 are just a single game, which while done quite well, is not the same "value" as a whole suite of games in one. Think we could get a Killzone, Ratchet, Resistance, Infamous collections and so forth where you could have multiple top games bundled together in nice smooth packages to catch players up to PS4 games in the same series.

I think it's a reasonably smart move on their part. Rather than trying and failing to catch the PS4, they should be concentrating on making themselves a good value alternative while both pleasing their dedicated customer base and offering a unique alternative to the PS4's library.

I just hope they knock it off with the third party exclussivity nonesense, and concentrate on padding out their first and second party portfolio.

Certainly, I've gone from thinking they'll be lucky to get a 40m install base by generations end, to at least 50-60m, so I definitely think they're on the right track.

truth411

Joke post? M.S. haven't released anything all year! Are folks still using the same old bogus argument that only western AAA retail games during the holidays count?

Ray Down

Banned

MqucJvw.gif

Yup, killer and his shit posts are back.

Blobbers

Tell me otherwise. It's true.

Some PS4 games I'm personally interested in: Everybody's Gone to the Rapture, Until Dawn, Disgaea 5, Dragon Quest Heroes, Persona 5, Uncharted 4, Tearaway Unfolded, The Last Guardian, Horizon, I don't know if Nier 2 and Wild and The Witness set in stone for 2016, but those too. I think they're doing pretty good.
And obviously Gravity Rush 2 with 1 remastered which will surely be announced at TGS.

Then again, I don't know what your definition of "a great line-up for this year and next" is.

truth411

He does have a bit of a point on the remaster quality though. I mean you have Halo and Gears and Rare's collection being done incredibly well, with multiple games and improvements, and supplemented by backwards compatibility titles and the Uncharted collection being the only other comparable package on the PS4. TLOU, GOW on PS4 are just a single game, which while done quite well, is not the same "value" as a whole suite of games in one. Think we could get a Killzone, Ratchet, Resistance, Infamous collections and so forth where you could have multiple top games bundled together in nice smooth packages to catch players up to PS4 games in the same series.
Halo MCC done incredibly well? Lol.
BTW you forgot GOW3 remastered, honesty there are too many remasters imo.

Smokey

He shouldnt care at this point. There's slim chance they will catch Sony and they know that. However they can still make money. The strategy of finally adopting Windows as a gaming platform is one that is long overdue. They've been pushed into this situation and may emerge better for it. Not a bad thing. Learn from mistakes and apply them in the next generation ala PS3->PS4.

Sephzilla

His first goal should be to make sure the Xbox One is profitable, so yeah, he shouldn't be gunning for the #1 spot by default. I can't disagree with his logic there.

That being said, I don't think this mindset is entirely by choice. Even they probably know it's a long uphill battle if they want to catch Sony right now.

Skii

The E3 stuff is your opinion. Both companies had good showings and neither of them showed me anything that's close enough to really look forward to so it was all just posturing to me, as is usually the case with E3 (look at this game you'll be able to play in 2 years! we promise it'll be great! *the internet goes wild for no good reason* ). I was more excited for Sony's stuff if I'm going on record though.

It's a moot point anyways given the conversation is really about does MS care. Yes I'd say they do. Each console generation keeps getting longer and longer. This is an 8-10 year fight. Do you really think they're throwing in the towel less than 2 years in?

It's not just my opinion. It's the opinion of a lot of people, arguably the majority on Neogaf and the casual doesn't care for E3 so that's that.

I never said Microsoft have given up, I just think they don't care for the console war or beating Sony anymore. Think it's more important they improve public opinion.

No, you really don't.

So you think Microsoft are thinking they can still beat Sony?

Walpurgis

Banned

This isn't a Sony thread but since you asked for it....

I think it's worth mentioning that Sony has quite a few studios that are MIA. We don't know what Quantic Dream is doing, we don't know what Sucker Punch is doing, we don't know what Sony Japan (their largest studio rumoured to be making several large RPGs) is doing, we don't know what Sony Santa Monica is doing, we don't know what Polyphony Digital is doing, we don't know what Sony Bend is doing, etc. Right now, we have Media Molecule's Dreams (this will be huge), Horizon, Uncharted, The Last Guardian, Wild and tons of random 3rd party exclusives from Japan, big and small.

Microsoft has 343 with Halo, The Coalition with Gears, Lionhead with Fable, Turn 10/Playground with Forza, Rare with Sea of Thieves, Remedy with Quantum Break, Armature with Recore, Platinum with Scalebound and ReAgent with Crackdown. The only thing we don't know is what else Rare is working on.

The point that I am making is that this is not like the PS3 last gen. Sony had tons of first parties to help them climb back up. This gen Microsoft doesn't. And it seems that Phil Spencer has realised that.

Xbox one has been doing great so far. Great game line-up this year and the next. Sony is doing a little to no effort when it comes to first party games.
Uncharted 4 and Horizon are the only noticeable exclusives. Remastered games that are a rip-off compared to MS offers, and rely heavily on third party partnership. They are doing great sales-wise, but really lacking exclusives games.

This type of post is what Sony get for spreading their releases throughout the year and having a large number of downloadable titles. Also learned today Uncharted 4 and Horizon are the only noticeable exclusives, take that Persona 5, Bloodborne, The Last Guardian and The Tomorrow Children.

watership

There have been people making those proclamations since the original Xbox came out. If you dig a little deeper, I bet most of the people that claim that they would "never purchase a MS product" have been singing the same tune for years.

That's completely true. There is an old guard that holds a hard line on stuff like this.

MS should do what Google just did. It's incredibly smart. Take the core technology company and make it a sub-company. If Google bought a movie studio tomorrow, people would be very sceptical, just as if MS did the same thing. Now if Alphabet Inc. wants to buy a movie studio, or do biotech, no one would feel remotely uneasy about it.

oldergamer

This type of post is what Sony get for spreading their releases throughout the year and having a large number of downloadable titles. Also learned today Uncharted 4 and Horizon are the only noticeable exclusives, take that Persona 5, Bloodborne, The Last Guardian and The Tomorrow Children.

I don't think Horizon or the last guardian are coming out next year. I'm fully expecting both to be pushed to 2017.

That's completely true. There is an old guard that holds a hard line on stuff like this.

MS should do what Google just did. It's incredibly smart. Take the core technology company and make it a sub-company. If Google bought a movie studio tomorrow, people would be very sceptical, just as if MS did the same thing. Now if Alphabet Inc. wants to buy a movie studio, or do biotech, no one would feel remotely uneasy about it.

Investors will still be skeptical. Just because you change the corporate umbrella doesn't mean that the big players won't be less influential. The board of directors will question why they are making huge investment in movies when they could be returning cash to shareholders. At the end of the day, there will be a person from Google Inc, sitting in on the Alphabet meetings throwing their weight around because they are the 800 pound gorilla that feeds the beast.

Chris1

Joke post? M.S. haven't released anything all year! Are folks still using the same old bogus argument that only western AAA retail games during the holidays count?

Why doesn't Screamride, Ori and the Blind Forest, State of Decay, Happy Wars or Rare Replay, count?

mrklaw

MrArseFace

what was the last game MS released? Rare Replay - bunch of remakes of old stuff

What is the next game MS will release? Gears of War Ultimate - remaster of old game.

BONDO

More at source: Source

I thought it was a very interesting contrast to the interview Phil Spencer's gave almost one year ago to the day when he said "I want to win this generation."

Actually here is the contrasting interview from a year ago where he talks about winning sales: I want to win this generation

What a difference a year makes. He sounds less confident than he did a in the older interview I posted. Perhaps he understands the potential of PS4's eventual "limited edition" Battlefront and BOPS3 bundles in the same season.

Sell me for less if old.

Has this been hinted at? I know it makes sense to release one but i need some info dammit!

watership

Investors will still be skeptical. Just because you change the corporate umbrella doesn't mean that the big players won't be less influential. The board of directors will question why they are making huge investment in movies when they could be returning cash to shareholders. At the end of the day, there will be a person from Google Inc, sitting in on the Alphabet meetings throwing their weight around because they are the 800 pound gorilla that feeds the beast.

But the perception of the smaller groups will get a boost. Sony pictures has has had trouble making ends meets for a decade. Yet the reason it stays is that it gives them power in the entertainment industry and presence in peoples minds. Having Sony not only make hardware gives the image of the company a more humanizing view. IBM suffered from this when they tried to branch out into more consumer areas. They made good products but didn't sell as well as they wanted too. IBM sold their Laptop business to Lenovo, and within a year, making practically the same product, the sales doubled.

I firmly believe that if MS had a holding company called "Fluffy Bunny Rabbit" and Xbox, Windows, Office and various other sub companies were under it, the perception of most of what they do would be changed within a year. While in reality, it would be the same control structure. Because, we're all easily fooled. :)

Killer

Banned
This isn't a Sony thread but since you asked for it....

I think it's worth mentioning that Sony has quite a few studios that are MIA. We don't know what Quantic Dream is doing, we don't know what Sucker Punch is doing, we don't know what Sony Japan (their largest studio rumoured to be making several large RPGs) is doing, we don't know what Sony Santa Monica is doing, we don't know what Polyphony Digital is doing, we don't know what Sony Bend is doing, etc. Right now, we have Media Molecule's Dreams (this will be huge), Horizon, Uncharted, The Last Guardian, Wild and tons of random 3rd party exclusives from Japan, big and small.

Microsoft has 343 with Halo, The Coalition with Gears, Lionhead with Fable, Turn 10/Playground with Forza, Rare with Sea of Thieves, Remedy with Quantum Break, Armature with Recore, Platinum with Scalebound and ReAgent with Crackdown. The only thing we don't know is what else Rare is working on.

The point that I am making is that this is not like the PS3 last gen. Sony had tons of first parties to help them climb back up. This gen Microsoft doesn't. And it seems that Phil Spencer has realised that.

Didn't Sony lay-off a lot of Sucker Punch, Sony Santa Monica and Evolution? They also don't seem like to partner up with RAD after The Order bombed.

Sony as a whole isn't doing well anyway but let's wait and see. Hope they come up with something.

Phil, please you are not fooling anyone.

Didn't Sony lay-off a lot of Sucker Punch, Sony Santa Monica and Evolution? They also don't seem like to partner up with RAD after The Order bombed.

Sony as a whole isn't doing well anyway but let's wait and see. Hope they come up with something.
Sony as a whole not doing well is entirely irrelevant to the conversation and mentioning it only serves to make your intent transparent.

Melchiah

It took years for the PS3 to get rid off the stigma, and their screw-ups became memes that lived on for the best part of the last generation. I think the turning point for the PS3 was in 2009, when the slim edition was released. That's nearly three years after the initial launch. The media and public reception towards the XBO has already turned more positive this early on. In that context, MS has gotten off pretty easily, considering the anti-consumer DRM issues which the PS3 never had.

Killer

Banned
what was the last game MS released? Rare Replay - bunch of remakes of old stuff

What is the next game MS will release? Gears of War Ultimate - remaster of old game.

Comare to Sony's remaster, GOW 3 which it didn't need one since it looks great to begin with and sell it for $40. Not even including previous games.Compare that to GoW:UE. Full REMAKE, include all previous titles for $40.

Rare Replay is an incredible value for what you get. 30 games for $30 and some of them from X360.

There's no comparison really.

Moobabe

What games have Microsoft released this year? It's all well and good having a stacked holiday where each and every one of your games will get outsold by third party efforts - but Sony are pretty good at releasing games over 12 months, not just 3.

I just hope that MS sticks with X1 for the long haul. They at least have the ability to push Sony and vice versa, as Nintendo doesn't seem interested in directly competing any more in the hard core game space. If Sony wasn't trouncing MS right now, we would not be getting great games and features on the X1, so competition is great. I only fear that the MS shareholders start crying louder and louder on X1 and MS pulls out of the industry as Xbox always seems more like a side project for MS rather than apart of their core business. Given the restructuring within Sony, PlayStation is basically now their core business so they have a more vested interest in its success. A cocky front funner is bad for the videogame market , so its great that we have MS and Sony keeping each other honest at least.

harSon

Banned

Bruh, you don't have to distort reality to show Microsoft's improvement since Spencer took the reigns. Both Sony and Microsoft are doing great things at the moment. There's nothing wrong with leaving it at that, and ultimately, it's good for the health of the industry.

Killer

Banned
No thanks I'd rather not waste my time. Why don't you go look at the list of games released this year and coming up yourself.

So we look at what released earlier this year and ignore what's coming.

Ok

Bruh, you don't have to distort reality to show Microsoft's improvement since Spencer took the reigns. Both Sony and Microsoft are doing great things at the moment. There's nothing wrong with leaving it at that, and ultimately, it's good for the health of the industry.

I'm not distorting reality, but i agree both are doing good and industry is moving forward.

nib95

Banned

Just popped in to the thread, only to immediately find you're doing it here as well? Wow.

Aceofspades

Banned

PS4 has 3 great games that are not available on X1 in the last month only, Galak Z, Rocket League and Everybody Gone to the rapture

The way these titles are ignored here is baffling to me. Sony is not resting at all giving their historic E3 and pushing Morpheous while allowing more games to their platform, PS4 is selling better because it has more games, more exclusives, better indie support and better performing console multiplat in addition to great OS features (SP and RP).

omonimo

Banned
I honestly don't goal the team on how many units Sony sells. I think about what we're going to do, and how many Xbox customers we have across 360, Xbox One and Windows - thinking about the combined community of people on Xbox and playing those games, and that number's never been bigger.
I want to hear him repeat the same thing when xbone will dominate the NPD chart.

Top Bottom