• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer: Some reviewers give games low scores to get more clicks

FelipeMGM

Yeah, I dont think its out of context either. In general, he is saying some outlets score games badly to get clicks, and thats not cool

Bad Phil

Scrawnton

It was totally in context.

No it wasn't. In the Gamestop edited interview they make it look like he said people scored Recore low for hits. In the actual full interview the only thing he said about recore was that he thought reviewers were harsh on it and the one 4/10 forza horizon 3 score was done for hits, which I agree with.

So there's the context. Gamestop skewed his words and this thread is just perpetuating that twist.

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
I'm not saying that this applies to the ReCore reviews, but he's absolutely correct that some reviews are so completely against the grain that you have to assume it's for traffic.

Then some of them are just badly reviewed - like that guy who reviewed FH3 who clearly didn't like racing games.

Zedark

Phil sounds [actually not quite] a bit like Donald Trump: "the media is against me". Hope the "perhaps some of them should shut down" part is not in his plans.

Really salty and ridiculous statement. Sometimes games just don't pan out and/or are only appealing to a very specific audience, it happens.

Edit: On second thought, the Trump statement is not really applicable. He still is salty and ridiculous here, though.

Chobel

If you actually read the paragraph, it's obvious that he switched focus from ReCore to FH3.

Nope, he's talking about the 3s and 4s of Recore too.

Three or four… I mean somebody gave Forza Horizon 3 a four. I think there's certain reviews that are written more to get clicked on than they are to actually accurately reflect the quality of the game, and that kind of bums me out.

Unless you want me to believe his mind zoned out, and forget to complete the sentence of "Three or four"

I mean it's plausible. Game is fun but I've barely played it.

Some reviewers may do this, but it is probably an extreme minority. Game was mostly reviewed negatively for technical issues and repetitive gameplay. IMO.

LordRaptor

If you actually read the paragraph, it's obvious that he switched focus from ReCore to FH3.

No, he is saying; (paraphrased)
Look at Recores scores, yeah, 7s 8s and 9s, thats all good, it totally deserves that, but four out of ten?
Thats clickbait bullshit.
Can you believe someone even gave forza horizon 3 a 4 out of 10? FORZA HORIZON! There is literally no way anyone could possibly give forza horizon 3 a 4 out of 10 legitimately.
Fucking bullshit from the MS haters

Chobel

No it wasn't. In the Gamestop edited interview they make it look like he said people scored Recore low for hits. In the actual full interview the only thing he said about recore was that he thought reviewers were harsh on it and the one 4/10 forza horizon 3 score was done for hits, which I agree with.

So there's the context. Gamestop skewed his words and this thread is just perpetuating that twist.

Maybe you want to actually read the interview. But fuck it, I'll quote it again for you
Three or four… I mean somebody gave Forza Horizon 3 a four. I think there's certain reviews that are written more to get clicked on than they are to actually accurately reflect the quality of the game, and that kind of bums me out.

He's still talking about Recore here.

Nope, he's talking about the 3s and 4s of Recore too.

Unless you want me to believe his mind zoned out, and forget to complete the sentence of "Three or four"

Yeah it's really deceiving that someone cut that quote starting from "3 or 4?" Because that wasn't even referencing FH3. It was about Recore but snipping it that way makes it seem like that entire paragraph is about Horizon when it is not.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
OléGunner;219244694 said:
Errrm what lol?
Dude I don't think you can't see the forest through the trees.

It's a review and Phil just needed to recognise it as an opinion, that's it.

Edit: you added more to your post.
Doesn't matter if one review gave a 4, why knuckle down on that?

TLoU was given a 7 (or was it 6) by Polygon in the face of Universal acclaim.
Did you see Shu going on about that in interviews? Just leave it, and get a grip yourself mate.
BVEPbEn.png

https://twitter.com/yosp/status/344995962776862721

Rappy

No he wasn't. People are only snipping from the forza mention and on for some reason. If you read the paragraph above that, it's fairly clear he's talking about mostly Recore and is pretty much saying that 4s for either game are clickbait.
It was totally in context.

He's not just saying it for either game, he's pretty much saying it for ALL games which is why he brings up Forza, a seemingly unrelated game. You see it in this thread. When people in this thread bring up the issue (controversial opinion/headline for clicks), they do not refer to it as something that happened or did not happen to ReCore alone. Putting it in the context of this happened specifically to ReCore makes the statement worse than it actually was.

Now saying something like that at all is probably not the best thing to do and it is just an excuse. Personally, I believe it does happen as well as with high review scores. People do anything for clicks these days.

panda-zebra

Those guys didn't give a low score just to generate clicks - their real motive was to give Uncle Phil the chance to speak out in order to facilitate yet another "Phil Said..." GAF thread.

Bravo, click-baiters!

It sold about 7k since release in xboxes second best territory, unless the game cost 100k to make, it aint selling well.

Is that 7k total or in launch week? Where are you getting this number from?!

Maybe it did well digitally, maybe did well worldwide, maybe their target is not making money but drive more MAU?
The boss is happy with it, job well done?

I mean, to be fair MS always say they're happy with game sales so I'm not sure how much we should read into that.

He's not just saying it for either game, he's pretty much saying it for ALL games which is why he brings up Forza, a seemingly unrelated game. You see it in this thread. When people in this thread bring up the issue (controversial opinion/headline for clicks), they do not refer to it as something that happened or did not happen to ReCore alone. Putting it in the context of this happened specifically to ReCore makes the statement worse than it actually was.

Now saying something like that at all is probably not the best thing to do and it is just an excuse. Personally, I believe it does happen as well as with high review scores. People do anything for clicks these days.

Yeah he's pretty much suggesting that if any games he perceives to be "good" gets a 3 or 4 from someone it's for the clicks.

In any case I think maybe having a more complete quote would be good for people:

"On the reviews, honestly I thought some of the reviews were a little harsh in terms of their view on the game. But for us, inside, again I feel really proud to have the character, the story, the gameplay style, and the partnership with Armature and Inafune-san as part of our portfolio.

I didn't try to tell anybody that it was a ten. I think we knew, as with any games, that there are certain things… if we started from the beginning and we knew what we'd get, there's a couple of things we would've done slightly differently. But we're very proud of how the game ended up. And I think seven, eight, nine, like anywhere in there is fine. Three or four… I mean somebody gave Forza Horizon 3 a four. I think there's certain reviews that are written more to get clicked on than they are to actually accurately reflect the quality of the game, and that kind of bums me out."

LordRaptor

I'd still agree with the paraphrased bit on FH3 though, lol.

It's a bad look for someone in his position to be complaining about.

MS benefit just as much as they lose from petty fanboy outlets (and fanboyism is just as likely a culprit for outlier scores as being desperate for hits)

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
I don't think you have to be defensive or have a high opinion of the gaming media to see how such comments are petty. For a person in a position of responsibility for a product/team/service/brand/whatever, it is never good form to throw shade when you underperform. Football managers talking shit about referees, Olympians suggesting that opponents are drug cheats, film directors saying critics are out to get them, etc. These are all petty excuses. Is there possibly truth in some of these statements? Sure. But you let other people and other outlets defend your record or point out inconsistencies, doing it yourself especially when there is no evidence reeks of deflection and it is always frowned upon.

You can't just discount an opinion as petty because someone has a vested interest one way or the other. You can use that argument on pretty much everything, a salient example in this case being the fact that there is a financial benefit to content that draws page-clicks.

Opinions are opinions, Phil's opinion is as valid as any reviewer/youtuber/forum-poster. Just because his position makes it self-evident that his impartiality on Xbox product is questionable, is no reason to gag him from expressing a view on that topic.

Sorry, I just don't buy into the "shut up and take it" angle, first and foremost because everyone should have the ability to express their view, not just a self-selected "special group" who's position alone gives their perspective validity and primacy above the people and works they choose to discuss.

You can't just discount an opinion as petty because someone has a vested interest one way or the other. You can use that argument on pretty much everything, a salient example in this case being the fact that there is a financial benefit to content that draws page-clicks.

Opinions are opinions, Phil's opinion is as valid as any reviewer/youtuber/forum-poster. Just because his position makes it self-evident that his impartiality on Xbox product is questionable, is no reason to gag him from expressing a view on that topic.

Sorry, I just don't buy into the "shut up and take it" angle, first and foremost because everyone should have the ability to express their view, not just a self-selected "special group" who's position alone gives their perspective validity and primacy above the people and works they choose to discuss.

I don't think anyone's "gagging" anyone. Just as Phil is free to disparage "certain reviewers" for their opinions and "dismiss" them as clickbait, we are free to disparage Phil's opinions and "dismiss" them as petty.

Synth

It's a bad look for someone in his position to be complaining about.

MS benefit just as much as they lose from petty fanboy outlets (and fanboyism is just as likely a culprit for outlier scores as being desperate for hits)

Oh yea, for sure. He shouldn't be saying any shit like this even if fucking Halo CE scored a 2/10 back in the day.

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
On the whole I think the score inflation and homogeneous review writers make reviews a lot less interesting to read.

You guys know Kollar and Shu are good friends right? I mean if you read that full twitter conversation they're doing that whole thing tongue in cheek...

I mean Phil even mentioned Shu purposefully in the first tweet to get his attention.

N7.Angel

I disagree as a all, sure some reviews are definitely click baited but its something like 2 or 3 review score at best, I think it's compensation for big website that overrated games or for Xbox/PlayStation/Nintendo website that give ridiculous score...

I think review scores are more accurate now that they were years ago, some games are still overrated because of their name though, Halo and Uncharted series for example.

Synth

I disagree as a all, sure some reviews are definitely click baited but its something like 2 or 3 review score at best, I think it's compensation for big website that overrated games or for Xbox/PlayStation/Nintendo website that give ridiculous score...

I think review scores are more accurate now that they were years ago, some games are still overrated because of their name though, Halo and Uncharted series for example.

Yea, I think that whilst it all "balances out" in regards to review scores overall, it's not really the case for any individual game. The hype and expectation cycle means that bigger name AAA games basically have to fuck up royally to score anything under about a 75, whilst smaller, less hyped games have to excel in order to break 80. In some cases, entire genres seem to struggle to put up scores on the higher end, such as racers where going back to 2005, only the Forza series has managed to hit a 90, despite how many racers hit last gen that are pretty much regarded as classics today.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
"Well my Mum said she liked the game...."

*Kicks the ground*

Top Bottom