• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer: Some reviewers give games low scores to get more clicks

Blobbers

Even if Phil was specifically talking about the ibtimes review (he wasn't), is that supposed to paint him in any better light? So he's accusing reviewers of clickbait for this totally different first-party game? The only caveat is we get to pile on Raylan, for being a shifty fellow. And possibly steer the thread in a million new directions, such as "that anti-phil bias".

Kinda funny how the new thread title still gives off an impression of a salty phil.

DrD

Ah, ok. So in your version Yoshida was asking who he was and why he was even worth responding to first. Then after that, he made a statement.

Context.
Not sure why I'm showing up in your quote but yes, Yoshida and the Polygon guys are clearly playing around. I don't know how anyone could read that conversation as being serious.

RulkezX

If you really thinking marketing budget is irrelevant I have a bridge to sell you in Brooklyn.

Indie games are a different beast, but most of the ones you are thinking of probably did have either a huge grass roots following such as Undertale or did have a fairly big marketing budget such as is the case with stuff that is co-published such as Journey or No Man's Sky.

Most indie games are lucky to even have enough reviews within the first few months to even accrue a metacritic aggregate score. Some of the best indie games out there usually aren't even reviewed by most of the top hitters in the gaming media unless they have something to the above situations.

So is just a conspiracy against your game ? And if you had a bigger marketing budget everyone would ignore how bad ReCore is ?

Why have AAA scores dropped off a bridge this gen ?
Your petty dig at Fallout 4 is hilarious given you got stage time at 2 E3's.....that's something most studios would kill for

pants

If 0 is no outrage and 10 is full outrage, my bar is set at about a three or a four.

Yet somehow you see this thread as 'outrage'. No one is calling for anything to be done, people are just talking about a thing a guy said. No one has even used profanity but it's an outrage? lol This thread is people who'll forget this all in 20 minutes being mildly annoyed.

EDIT: I dont know if i'm reading you incorrectly, but It occurs to me your bar being set at 3 out of 10 clicks on the outrage detector would mean you perceive outrage much earlier than most.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
How are people possibly interpreting the "clicks" comment to only apply to the Forza review?

Its madness.

That part of the interview started off about Recore. Phil just mentioned Forza also.

I mean you can even look at Metacritic reviews for Recore and see some are as low as 4.

Looking at FH3 now....yea a boatload of 80 - 100 and those 2 low scores.

I wouldnt even bring up FH3 if I was him.

On the reviews, honestly I thought some of the reviews were a little harsh in terms of their view on the game. But for us, inside, again I feel really proud to have the character, the story, the gameplay style, and the partnership with Armature and Inafune-san as part of our portfolio.

I didn't try to tell anybody that it was a ten. I think we knew, as with any games, that there are certain things… if we started from the beginning and we knew what we'd get, there's a couple of things we would've done slightly differently. But we're very proud of how the game ended up. And I think seven, eight, nine, like anywhere in there is fine. Three or four… I mean somebody gave Forza Horizon 3 a four. I think there's certain reviews that are written more to get clicked on than they are to actually accurately reflect the quality of the game, and that kind of bums me out.

nynt9

Reviews that don't align with my viewpoint are click bait, those that do are amazing well written reviews.

If you read the review, the author doesn't say one positive comment about the game.

A critique should include some positive aspects, even if the overall opinion is negative.
Just like I'd expect a positive review to acknowledge the shortcomings.

Exactly. This is why i don't read or click on reviews articles anymore. Last one I read was halo3. There are certain sites that are OK if you like that sort of stuff, like the big ones, ign etc. You know you'll get something more fair, but even then they don't wanna be too hash cause they get exclusives from these people. So you get a somewhat honest review. The whole system sucks cause it relies on people being honest and fair. And a lot of people are not.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Reviews that don't align with my viewpoint are click bait, those that do are amazing well written reviews.
I find it hard to believe that even in some hypothetical sarcastic alternative world there are well written video game reviews.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
They were clearly joking, though I'm sure you already knew that, you were just shitting up the thread with your trolling.

Show me where he said he's explicitly joking after that tweet.

I'm giving him as much rope as you're giving Phil with regards to statements that a lot of you were more than happy to pile on before I showed that tweet.

All I saw was a lot of you suddenly care about context and past history.

So is just a conspiracy against your game ? And if you had a bigger marketing budget everyone would ignore how bad ReCore is ?

Why have AAA scores dropped off a bridge this gen ?
Your petty dig at Fallout 4 is hilarious given you got stage time at 2 E3's.....that's something most studios would kill for

First of all, it wasn't a petty dig at Fallout 4. Just pointing out the hilarious fact that plenty of reviews will post about how it is buggy, technical issues abound, etc. and still score it a 9 and usually cite 'well it's Fallout so that's expected.'

Not sure why they would get a free pass on their fourth (numbered!) outing with technical issues but a small budget, lower priced new IP is somehow held up to a higher standard.

Some seriously bad reading comprehension here! He is plainly saying that ReCore was a good game undeserving of scores of 3 or 4, and as an example gave another well-regarded game (FH3) that got a score of 3 or 4.

GHG

No it doesn't. This is Forza Horizon 3 we're talking about here. :p

It's my personal game of the generation so far but if somebody else has played it and they happen to dislike it then that's their opinion and they are entitled to it. I will simply continue to play and enjoy it. Other people disliking something I enjoy doesn't dampen my own enjoyment of it.

I would have thought Phil was above rubbish like this but apparently not. I would have also thought he should know it's actually better to keep all members of the gaming press on side rather than make enemies like this.

jdmonmou

Here's the problem with what Phil suggests...not enough critics will put out a troll review to matter. FH 3 still has a 91 metacritc score despite that IB Times review. Recore has a 63 metacritic because it was genuinely mediocre. The greater community will silence the troll reviews, so Phil is complaining about something that doesn't really matter.

While I don't think he should have said it at all even if he thinks it, I don't think it's worse. For Recore that just makes you look salty as hell when every outlet is giving it roughly around the average you're basically saying "Your opinion is wrong even though most others agree with you and you're only doing it for clickbait". With FH3 you've got 1 4/10 and every other 9-10, you actually have a case there. Obviously context of the review is key so scores aren't everything, but yeah. Yeah you're targetting 1 reviewer with FH3 but I think you'd find it hard to find someone that'd argue that review wasn't clickbait, that's not the case for Recore.

Who gets to decide whether it's clickbait or the reviewer's genuine opinion? You? Phil Spencer? I disagree with plenty of reviews but you know what I do? I shrug them off because I'm comfortable with my own opinions.

And regardless, it doesn't matter even if it is clickbait, it's absurdly unprofessional for a major executive (let alone the head of one of the console manufacturers) to accuse any reviewer of that.

I'm giving him as much rope as you're giving Phil with regards to statements that a lot of you were more than happy to pile on before I showed that tweet.

Quadrupling down huh? That's a strategy I guess.

Chobel

I've stated that several times. He's talking about FH3. If you disagree with that, that's cool.

I just want to know how you explain that the first sentence ended mid sentence? Phil Spencer is well known spokesman, so it's highly unlikely he mess up his talk like that.

jayu26

I find it hard to believe that even in some hypothetical sarcastic alternative world there are well written video game reviews.
Hey now, don't you remember that classic review writteb by [insert name here when we have a classic review]?

There have been some good video reviews, specially for bad games. Check out video reviews for Big Rigs.
Here's the problem with what Phil suggests...not enough critics will put out a troll review to matter. FH 3 still has a 91 metacritc score despite that IB Times review. Recore has a 63 metacritic because it was genuinely mediocre. The greater community will silence the troll reviews, so Phil is complaining about something that doesn't really matter.
And for Internet to be what it is, we have take bad with the good. That means putting up with the trolls sometimes.

barit

Now you know how Evolution with Driveclub felt Phil. If it's really that FH3 score that bothers him.

People can be mean and probably will always been mean.

black070

The context is clear in both cases though, lol.

Clueless. It has absolutely nothing to do with that. Like that Forza Horizon 3 review. That game is not a 4/10. I don't care how much people don't like racing games and if they dont, why are they reviewing this one? For forza Horizon3 to get a 4/10 from anyone shows that the system is flawed. Reviews are supposed to be a fair critique of the game not an opinion from someone who clearly doesn't like racing games. You are allowed to not like something, or have something not be your thing but you should also be able to appreciate what it does well and be able to critique it fairly. He was incapable of that which is the entire problem.

This sentence is definitely true these days.
Any examples? Because I can't think of a reputable website or magazine doing this.

There might be the small blog or Youtube channel doing that stuff, but hardly any larger media outlets.

If anything, the industry finally grew up a little and we see a bit more variation in scores, where one might give a 5 and another an 8. Something that has been the case for decades with movies and music already.

I just want to know how you explain that the first sentence ended mid sentence? Phil Spencer is well known spokesman, so it's highly unlikely he mess up his talk like that.

It's like entering an art competition and the judges saying your painting is crap.
Then you say,

"My painting is crap?? Well some people say the Mona Lisa is crap!"

And thinking I am talking about the judges opinion of the Mona Lisa.

The persistent cries of 'out of context quote!' really come across as desperate attempts to dismiss discussion/derail the thread considering there's nothing in the interview that is actually at odds with the thread's topic of discussion.

The ones who have actually played the game.

I've played the game and on average reviews for it have been more than fair.

LordRaptor

Its madness.

That part of the interview started off about Recore. Phil just mentioned Forza also.

I mean you can even look at Metacritic reviews for Recore and see some are as low as 4.

Looking at FH3 now....yea a boatload of 80 - 100 and those 2 low scores.

I wouldnt even bring up FH3 if I was him.

Yes, its obviously his stream of consciousness, as is part of natural conversation.

Talking about how Recore has been critically received -> some scores lower than he thinks it deserves - > including a 4 out of 10 -> on the subject of 4/10, FH3 also got a 4/10

Even if you choose for whatever reason that his comments about clickbaitz is solely about FH3, its still a stupid thing to imply there is zero possibility that any reviewer could possibly give FH3 anything less than 7/10 legitimately.

Synth

It's my personal game of the generation so far but if somebody else has played it and they happen to dislike it then that's their opinion and they are entitled to it. I will simply continue to play and enjoy it. Other people disliking something I enjoy doesn't dampen my own enjoyment of it.

I would have thought Phil was above rubbish like this but apparently not. I would have also thought he should know it's actually better to keep all members of the gaming press on side rather than make enemies like this.

See now I'm worried that when I make a post like that, it's actually being read as serious, lol.

I could totally see someone scoring the PC version a 4/10 though in its current state.

jayu26

It's like entering an art competition and the judges saying your painting is crap.
Then you say,

"My painting is crap?? Well some people say the Mona Lisa is crap!"

And thinking I am talking about the judges opinion of the Mona Lisa.
Furthermore, a person should be allowed to think that 'Mona Lisa is crap.'

I don't know what was the reason, but Record was definitely trashed way beyond what the game deserves. It scored like a really bad game that you should avoid at all costs, when in fact it's one of the best games on this generation, that has many glaring flaws that you wouldn't expect from a game of this quality.

Theorry

Dont think it happened with Recore really. But there are some reviews this gen where i think. Thats really different from the pack (Horizon 3 for example) But opinions offcourse.

I do see a trend lately of insane good previews with hype titles. Like the "its Zelda for Xbox" and Xbox's Last of Us. And then that site reviews the game and its suddenly a really bad game.

But dont think Phil should be bothered with saying this. If he said it. That "Suggested" is abit vague.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Even if what he's saying is true....thats usually something us forum folks debate, argue, fight about.

I wouldnt expect that to come from someone in his position.

Like Ice Cube did interviews about Straight Outta Compton and was asked about the lack of nominees or awards.

http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Ice-...Straight-Outta-Compton-Oscar-Snub-106217.html

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articl...oscar-boycott-talk-is-getting-ridiculous.html

The last link I posted is definitely how folks in Phil position should respond.

GHG

I don't know what was the reason, but Record was definitely trashed way beyond what the game deserves. It scored like a really bad game that you should avoid at all costs, when in fact it's one of the best games on this generation, that has many glaring flaws that you wouldn't expect from a game of this quality.

I just burst out laughing.

Yes, its obviously his stream of consciousness, as is part of natural conversation.

Talking about how Recore has been critically received -> some scores lower than he thinks it deserves - > including a 4 out of 10 -> on the subject of 4/10, FH3 also got a 4/10

Even if you choose for whatever reason that his comments about clickbaitz is solely about FH3, its still a stupid thing to imply there is zero possibility that any reviewer could possibly give FH3 anything less than 7/10 legitimately.

Of course it's possible to give a 4/10 legitimately, but it also happens that the site that gave this review did jack shit to justify its score, rather than he having a feeling playground was tired of working on the game, because so.

ShapeGSX

I think I'd give gamespot's paraphrasing of Phil Spencer a low review score.

Why have an article that paraphrases (incorrectly) another article on your site? Probably to drive more clicks. :p

theDeeDubs

Didn't he go on to talk about how someone gave Forza a 4? Context is important here. I don't think his answer is that out of line. Contrarians exist. They can even be reviewers.

No, I'm not going to waste my time 'showing you'. You're seeing what you want to see and nothing more. They're two different situations, one an interview and the other a Twitter conversation between two friends who are clearly joking around. If everyone else can see that, why can't you?

Chris1

Who gets to decide whether it's clickbait or the reviewer's genuine opinion? You? Phil Spencer? I disagree with plenty of reviews but you know what I do? I shrug them off because I'm comfortable with my own opinions.

And regardless, it doesn't matter even if it is clickbait, it's absurdly unprofessional for a major executive (let alone the head of one of the console manufacturers) to accuse any reviewer of that.

I agree that's why I don't think he should have said anything at all, because it's hard to tell if something is clickbait or his honest opinion in 99.9% of cases even if it does seem extremely obvious you never actually know. I'm just saying I think the response & it would look much worse if he said Recore and not FH3, just look at how this thread started out or compare the reactions to the 4/10 in FH3 review thread to the 4/10s in Recore thread. In this case he sided with the majority so it looks "better" than the alternative, but it still doesn't look good.

TaterTots

Banned
I can believe it. Review sites come and go and the ones that typically give ridiculously low scores have terrible articles.

Top Bottom