• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer: Some reviewers give games low scores to get more clicks

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Game is amazing. Don't believe me? Ask everyone else that is also playing.
That is demonstrably false though.

Even if we accept there is click bait reviewers, you can't possible posit that everyone that isn't saying it's amazing either didn't play it or is lying for clicks.

Chobel

It's like entering an art competition and the judges saying your painting is crap.
Then you say,

"My painting is crap?? Well some people say the Mona Lisa is crap!"

And thinking I am talking about the judges opinion of the Mona Lisa.

This comparison doesn't make any sense.

I agree that's why I don't think he should have said anything at all, because it's hard to tell if something is clickbait or his honest opinion in 99.9% of cases even if it does seem extremely obvious you never actually know. I'm just saying I think the response & it would look much worse if he said Recore and not FH3, just look at how this thread started out or compare the reactions to the 4/10 in FH3 review thread to the 4/10s in Recore thread.

He's talking about Recore too though.

I just burst out laughing.

It's not that hard to understand. He is probably pointing out that there are certain flaws that stand out but don't detract from the overall experience too much but are just annoying. This is why I feel like my comparison to Fallout 4 is apt especially in the context of reviews. It's of course still a great experience, but I bet you can find a half dozen reviews that call it something 'buggy but beautiful' right in the first paragraph. I know I did when I just googled a few reviews for the hell of it.

To throw out an even more random analogy, one of the most prized diamonds in the world, the Koh-i-Noor, is actually very far from perfect and has plenty of flaws thanks to the Royal Family constantly meddling with the cut.

Something cab be absolutely amazing and still have flaws.

Donos

I would say it's rather possible with huge AAA like Halo/Uncharted/Zelda/Whatever since a low score will bring out the huge fanbase/haters. But with non AAA i really doubt that.

NEO0MJ

Phil has been spending too much time on GAF. This is the excuse fanboys use when sacred cows like Uncharted and Zelda are given low scores.

Mexen

Wow. Unbelievable. You went and ignored the whole interview where he made really great points to make a thread that makes him sound bad? Unbelievable.

There is context behind his words that led to what he said. Just, wow. Unbelievable.

amdb00mer

I liked what I played. I need to finish Forza Horizon 2 so I can work on Recore and then pick up Forza Horizon 3.

I think his comment is more about Forza Horizon 3. There was that one site that gave it a 2/5. Even if you hate racing games there is no way your going to play FH3 and say it's a 2/5.

LordRaptor

The irony, all these people talking about "context" are missing the actual context.

Its like looking at the number after a bunch of words and deciding the number means the words must be clickbait, regardless of what the words actually say

le.phat

That's poor form, coming from a leader in the industry. Stop making excuses and try harder. We decide if your games deserve a better score.

STEaMkb

The irony, all these people talking about "context" are missing the actual context.

Yes, his meaning is pretty clear. Phil expected a spread of 7-9s for Recore. He adduces the FH3 outlier to buttress his suggestion that people only gave Recore low scores for clicks.

moai

so in offtopic i see this kind of argument in movie threads all the time and many people seem to agree, some sites do it for the clicks. am i missing something here?

Scrawnton

so in offtopic i see this kind of argument in movie threads all the time and many people seem to agree, some sites do it for the clicks. am i missing something here?
But but but you can't do that when your an executive....

... I don't get why people are acting like Phil is way out of line here. People need to remember that he is trying to sell a product in the end. What do you expect him to say? "Yea recore sucked, don't buy it."

A lot of high and mighty people in this thread.

A) He is right, some reviewers post low scores for clicks
B) He is a salesmen trying to sell products and defend a product that just came out.
C) Everyone on GAF talks trash of click bait all the time but an executive can't?

Synth

... I don't get why people are acting like Phil is way out of line here. People need to remember that he is trying to sell a product in the end. What do you expect him to say? "Yea recore sucked, don't buy it."

There's quite a bit of space between "our game is crap" and "it was scored low for clicks".

That is demonstrably false though.

Even if we accept there is click bait reviewers, you can't possible posit that everyone that isn't saying it's amazing either didn't play it or is lying for clicks.

You are not presentating a very convincing argument..

There are more detailed impressions on the OT or even the review thread from me if you would like to see more detailed thoughts on this game from me.

But really, the game has REALLY tight controls, amazingly well made level design and platforming, the combat while never getting really super challenging can be very intense requiring fast reflexes. And the dungeons are truly something else, you have a good challenge, that you have to do it fast, finding hidden stuff and still never gets cheap.

I could go on, but just look at that:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R02nxT4XeZU

His reactions are pretty much the same I had while playing. How is that not amazing?

Edit: So yeah, I think it's warranted to call out reviews that crashed the end game for instance because the only reason they got stuck was because they avoided dungeons like that and said the game was a grind fest for having to explore and complete dungeons to get the cores.

"Next time we'll work harder, the game is still very fun and I encourage others to still try it for themselves. I'm sure the team will take the criticisms and apply it to their next game"

pastrami

"But we're very proud of how The Order: 1886 ended up. And I think seven, eight, nine, like anywhere in there is fine. Three or four… I mean somebody gave Uncharted 4 a four. I think there's certain reviews that are written more to get clicked on than they are to actually accurately reflect the quality of the game, and that kind of bums me out."

- Shuhei Yoshida, totally not salty about The Order: 1886 scores because he is talking about Uncharted 4

Overall a decent interview, but the review score point, as well as the jab about PlayStation fans and Twitter seemed uncharacteristic of Phil.

barit

Wow. Unbelievable. You went and ignored the whole interview where he made really great points to make a thread that makes him sound bad? Unbelievable.

There is context behind his words that led to what he said. Just, wow. Unbelievable.

If the interview was so good I expect several threads around it in the next few days so don't worry

Hermii

I dont know about this game in particular, but I do believe there is some truth to that in general. I know I am much more likely to click on the low scoring review that stands out.

amdb00mer

Oh come on, not this crap.

Yes, this crap as well as your response. How about instead of jumping in with that response you say something constructive. I know, that's a novel idea, but hey, give it a shot. You might surprise yourself.

OT: We could all just say reviews and scores are subjective, but there have been many game review scores given for all the wrong reasons. Some may have been given as click-bait as Phil suggested, but there are others where sites push reviewers to give higher scores because they may have some sort of advertising deal with the publisher. In my personal opinion I think nobody should really buy a game based off a review score. I think every game should be required to offer a demo or trial so a gamer can test the game out for themselves. I know that does not sound practical, but it I think it would be the best option. I also think that's why they released the 30 minute Recore trial so gamers could try the game out for themselves and make a decision based on their own opinion.

Scrawnton

There's quite a bit of space between "our game is crap" and "it was scored low for clicks".

Enlighten me then? So many people on GAF complain about the games media and review threads are littered with people calling out BS on reviewers and certain sites, but the moment an executive mirrors some of those ideas we find that people are really for the games media and crap on Phil for this comment that they themselves have said many many times.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
It's like entering an art competition and the judges saying your painting is crap.
Then you say,

"My painting is crap?? Well some people say the Mona Lisa is crap!"

And thinking I am talking about the judges opinion of the Mona Lisa.

I dont think this is a good example. You went from from judges to some ppl. And these judges never said the Mona Lisa was crap, just your painting.

Phil made it clear it was about review scores, not scores and also other ppl's opinions.

And its not about the judges opinion about the Mona Lisa, its that you care about those saying its crap. Or you thinking those saying its crap have an agenda.

This comparison doesn't make any sense.

lol, Glad I'm not alone. It took some time for me to attempt to respond to it. I still dont think I could...

Furthermore, a person should be allowed to think that 'Mona Lisa is crap.'

Bottom line, this is the entire point.

Yes, this crap as well as your response. How about instead of jumping in with that response you say something constructive. I know, that's a novel idea, but hey, give it a shot. You might surprise yourself.

OT: We could all just say reviews and scores are subjective, but there have been many game review scores given for all the wrong reasons. Some may have been given as click-bait as Phil suggested, but there are others where sites push reviewers to give higher scores because they may have some sort of advertising deal with the publisher. In my personal opinion I think nobody should really buy a game based off a review score. I think every game should be required to offer a demo or trial so a gamer test the game out for themselves. I know that does not sound practical, but it I think it would be the best option. i also think that's why they releases the 30 minute Recore trial so gamers could try the game out for themselves and make a decision based on their own opinion.

Hi

black070

"But we're very proud of how The Order: 1886 ended up. And I think seven, eight, nine, like anywhere in there is fine. Three or four… I mean somebody gave Uncharted 4 a four. I think there's certain reviews that are written more to get clicked on than they are to actually accurately reflect the quality of the game, and that kind of bums me out."

- Shuhei Yoshida, totally not salty about The Order: 1886 scores because he is talking about Uncharted 4

Overall a decent interview, but the review score point, as well as the jab about PlayStation fans and Twitter seemed uncharacteristic of Phil.

Odds are, everyone defending Phil would be jumping on Shuhei's ass if the roles were reversed, hell it's already happened lol.

ReBurn

Gold Member
I don't have a problem with what he said.

There are a lot of outlets that post contrary scores and reviews for clicks. People go and see what the fuss is about, which generates clicks and drives up revenue. Then they come back here and dump on the review or website because it doesn't feed the hype for their sacred cow.

ethomaz

Banned
You reached Greenberg levels...

It is better accept the game have flaws enough that some reviews scored it lower.

But of course I expect some fans to try to defense Phil here :D

Scrawnton

You reached Greenberg levels...

It is better accept the game have flaws enough that some reviews scored it lower.

But of course I expect some fans to try to defense Phil here :D

In my opinion, I don't care if people thinks what he said is wrong or not. I'm personally glad he said it because in a way, he is right and it's something that people here discuss all the time.

Chobel

There are more detailed impressions on the OT or even the review thread from me if you would like to see more detailed thoughts on this game from me.

But really, the game has REALLY tight controls, amazingly well made level design and platforming, the combat while never getting really super challenging can be very intense requiring fast reflexes. And the dungeons are truly something else, you have a good challenge, that you have to do it fast, finding hidden stuff and still never gets cheap.

I could go on, but just look at that:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R02nxT4XeZU

His reactions are pretty much the same I had while playing. How is that not amazing?

Edit: So yeah, I think it's warranted to call out reviews that crashed the end game for instance because the only reason they got stuck was because they avoided dungeons like that and said the game was a grind fest for having to explore and complete dungeons to get the cores.

Is this a parody or you linked the wrong video?

Terrible summary.

Two full paragraph quotes setting out exactly what Phil said followed by a badly paraphrased summary of what Phil "suggested" and a link to the full article.

He said:

But we're very proud of how the game ended up. And I think seven, eight, nine, like anywhere in there is fine. Three or four… I mean somebody gave Forza Horizon 3 a four. I think there's certain reviews that are written more to get clicked on than they are to actually accurately reflect the quality of the game, and that kind of bums me out.

Linking his comment to Forza Horizon's 3 gives it meaning.

Top Bottom