• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer: You can share your Xbox One games with any 10 people

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flayer

The issue I have with this is basically Microsoft saying 1 person can purchase a game that then 10 people have full access to. Sounds like an amazing too good to be true feature right? If it actually works like why haven't MS been touting this from the roof tops?

I'm just a little suspicious because MS have not clarified exactly what it means and it's been a while since the XBone reveal.

Sydle

The issue I have with this is basically Microsoft saying 1 person can purchase a game that then 10 people have full access to. Sounds like an amazing too good to be true feature right? If it actually works like why haven't MS been touting this from the roof tops?

I'm just a little suspicious because MS have not clarified exactly what it means and it's been a while since the XBone reveal.

Because it's not full access by all 10 people. Read the wording carefully, it states that a person on your family list can access your shared library at a given time. If one of your friends on your family list is in your library then your other 9 friends cannot access anything in your library.

There are also suspicions that the "at a given time" means there will be some kind of time constraint placed on it, but it's only speculation at this point.

Because it's not full access by all 10 people. Read the wording carefully, it states that a person on your family list can access your shared library at a given time. If one of your friends on your family list is in your library then your other 9 friends cannot access anything in your library.

Oof, that's a hell of a catch.

Still could be a cool feature, but that massively cuts down the usefulness of it.

quickwhips

There are also suspicions that the "at a given time" means there will be some kind of time constraint placed on it, but it's only speculation at this point.

Dude your wrong. Read the post at the top of this page. Just because you want it to be true doesn't mean it is.

Flayer

Nobody knows exactly how the family thing works, that's the problem. People are arguing over subtle variations in wording which mean jack squat because it seems like even MS don't know what's up.

Ocaso

There are two reasons MS would not be making a huge fuss of this policy: 1) They don't actually want people to use it. This makes sense, since in the best case scenario this policy exists to quiet down naysayers somewhat but is something neither publishers or retailers are going to benefit from. The fewer people that use it, the better. But if that's the case, why even bother implementing it? Or 2) it's nowhere near as generous as it sounds to be. When it was first announced, all I took it to mean was that ten family members could share content across a single console. It made sense. I know some have now said that this sharing can occur across 3000 miles, but given that they also said MGSV was exclusive and have endeavored to mislead people by touting how powerful the "cloud" makes them, I remain skeptical.

It does sound too good to be true, I do not believe it will actually be as generous as it sounds, and I would not purchase the console under the expectation that this will actually pan out as promised.

Zoe

When it was first announced, all I took it to mean was that ten family members could share content across a single console. It made sense. I know some have now said that this sharing can occur across 3000 miles, but given that they also said MGSV was exclusive and have endeavored to mislead people by touting how powerful the "cloud" makes them, I remain skeptical.
Family sharing is different from console sharing.

Liberty4all

Banned
Xbone is poison at this point (to me). Alot of people no longer care if Microsoft explains their complicated policies or not ... The decision has already been made not to buy one. I know that's where I'm at.

CAVE343

This sounds awesome, so as my brother and I always buy two copies of a game to play together, with Xbone only one of us has to purchase a game; like we will never have to buy two copies of the same game since we can share, right??

Xbudz

I want the option to 'opt-out' of Family Sharing and regain my offline gaming as long as the disc is in the drive.

Justin

I want the option to 'opt-out' of Family Sharing and regain my offline gaming as long as the disc is in the drive.

Sorry you will have no choice. If you do not designate 10 people of whom are your family members and share you games with them Microsoft will choose a new family for you and you will have no say.

Also family share should be renamed Xbudz.

This sounds awesome, so as my brother and I always buy two copies of a game to play together, with Xbone only one of us has to purchase a game; like we will never have to buy two copies of the same game since we can share, right??

Yup, from what we've heard, that is totally possible.

Me and my brother are getting Xbox's to do just that. He lives 2,000 miles away but we can share the same library as if we were still living with each other. It's going to be sweet. Can't wait to see the blog post from Major Nelson to get all of the details.

Sorry you will have no choice. If you do not designate 10 people of whom are your family members and share you games with them Microsoft will choose a new family for you and you will have no say.

Also family share should be renamed Xbudz.

It will scan your bodytype race and other parts via always on and connected kinect.
To find the best matches for your new family.

ooh yeah scary kinect shit from 4chan.
rEvo9LZ.jpg

Ocaso

When someone designates a console as their primary console, all of the other accounts can use their gold privileges and games.

There has to be a catch beyond one person playing at a time, I guarantee it. Perhaps the 10 people sharing must also have an account on the primary console, or sharing is time-limited or can be restricted by publishers. I don't think the other shoe will drop before launch date, but as I said, I wouldn't count on this being as generous as it sounds.

Dai101

Banned
It will scan your bodytype race and other parts via always on and connected kinect.
To find the best matches for your new family.

ooh yeah scary kinect shit from 4chan.
rEvo9LZ.jpg

The stories and information posted here are artistic works of fiction and falsehood.
Only a fool would take anything posted here as fact.

Also, don't forget your tinfoil hat when playing.

params7

Banned
So apparently the members on the plan can play the game simultaneously from their own Xbox One's? If this is true, its really fucking good specially for me and my bro who are planning to get a console each but set it up in the same room. Though I'm thinking we should be able to do with the same thing on the PS4 as long as we buy digital. You can activate 5 PS3's per PSN account, and once installed any number of PSN accounts can access the game on the machine.

Hopefully this system carries over to the PS4.

MogCakes

so by that definition Steam is anti consumer and digital games on PSN or X360 are anti-consumer

so is iTunes and such as we own a license for all of that intellectual property not the content

The XB1 uses discs, so under his definition with physical discs (he is referring to physical with his statement as deduced by the current law of first sale doctrine), it is anti-consumer, whereas Steam and other digital platforms aren't. Being digital =/= anti-consumer, preventing people from being able to exercise first sale doctrine with the physical discs they bought = anti-consumer. The term 'anti-consumer' itself is used as an adjective, and though it doesn't have a dictionary definition, the context in which he uses it gives it meaning, in this case 'restrictive' and 'against the consumer' or 'against consumer interests'.

If you want to argue semantics of the term 'anti-consumer', you'll need to provide your own definition - but since there's no official definition to use as a base, it's all very subjective save for the popular definition of the word as stated above. In fewer words: no one can force their definition of it onto others so long as no official definition exists, and you can't tell someone not to use the term just because it doesn't fit with your personal definition of what 'anti-consumer' means. As is apparent all over the place, there is a popular definition of the term, which is what people refer to when they use 'anti-consumer'. To further the point, executives in the business world know exactly what someone means when they say something is anti-consumer, whether it's policy or actions.

Of course, I could be wrong about there not being an official definition and some business law textbook may have it defined in one of its many chapters - and I'm confident it wouldn't be so different from how people use it.

Clearly, we know:

1. you can have 10 people who are not related nor in your house on a "whitelist" on your machine to allow them access to SHARE all of your games.

Yep. Though whether it's 10 other people or 9 people + you needs to be clarified. I'm thinking the former.

2. those ten people can play a game from your list on their box (if they have gold) -so long as none of the other ten are playing one (to be confirmed, it might be more allowed at once)

Yep. Gold hasn't been clarified, but we're all assuming it's required.

3. As owners we can always be playing our games regardless who on the list is playing

Yep.

4. It is possible we can both be playing the same game concurrently (like in a multiplayer match)

This part needs to be clarified, it seems to have caused the most confusion.

5. those ten Sharing names can be changed out (all we do not know is how often
Yep, don't see why they couldn't be switched out. We need info on the specifics of how the changing out happens as well, and if there are any conditions.

6. The 10 friends/family need to be on our friends list for 30 days prior to activation of sharing

Did it say this? I thought they could be added at any time. Would make sense if it were this way though.

7. up to 3000 miles away people can share our games (to be determined is whether they can cross regions)

Yep, that's how I interpreted it as well.

So apparently the members on the plan can play the game simultaneously from their own Xbox One's? If this is true, its really fucking good specially for me and my bro who are planning to get a console each but set it up in the same room. Though I'm thinking we should be able to do with the same thing on the PS4 as long as we buy digital. You can activate 5 PS3's per PSN account, and once installed any number of PSN accounts can access the game on the machine.

Hopefully this system carries over to the PS4.

Bold: we aren't sure. MS needs to clarify this part as it's very vague.

tafer

There are two reasons MS would not be making a huge fuss of this policy: 1) They don't actually want people to use it. This makes sense, since in the best case scenario this policy exists to quiet down naysayers somewhat but is something neither publishers or retailers are going to benefit from. The fewer people that use it, the better. But if that's the case, why even bother implementing it? Or 2) it's nowhere near as generous as it sounds to be. When it was first announced, all I took it to mean was that ten family members could share content across a single console. It made sense. I know some have now said that this sharing can occur across 3000 miles, but given that they also said MGSV was exclusive and have endeavored to mislead people by touting how powerful the "cloud" makes them, I remain skeptical.

It does sound too good to be true, I do not believe it will actually be as generous as it sounds, and I would not purchase the console under the expectation that this will actually pan out as promised.

3) It's not written on stone yet. The details, restrictions, etc. are being negotiated with the different parties involved.

Alx

I don't think the 3000 miles thing is a restriction, it's just an example how there's no distance limitation, while distance makes traditional sharing more difficult.
I also think we can safely assume that sharing isn't possible cross-region. Since it is basically giving a friend a special license to use a game, you cannot have that user get a license for a product that is not available in his area.

Grimhammer

Neo Member
I'm so sure that there's a catch willing to tell you what it is!

-besides the obvious, that only one person can play a single game including the owner. (And I'm sure he'll be able to kick family(friends) off.
-the ToS says Xbox One games....I think this is MS being sneaky....I bet it's just 1st party games. And just because it says "accessing the shared games library" doesn't mean every game will be enable to be put into the shared games library!
-pubs would not enable this....it's complete counter to their used game sake argument. Imagine - say MS sells 2,000,000 consoles in holiday season.....that's 200,000 potential lost sales!
-it's also obviously tied to ones good membership. If I share halo 5 to 10 friends.....then my gold membership expires, glitches or gets banned....my 10 friends lose access to halo 5. This game sharing smells of Trojans!

Hawk269

What really pisses me off about all of this is how bad MS has been in selling their policies.

they have really stunk up the joint. This policy was around for a while why not justify some of the DRM policies through this.

example.

you will be able to share your games with up to 10 people in something we call your Xbox family. No longer will you need to give out your discs or endure playing with your friends in a split screen environment. Now everything is done digitally and across the Xbox network.

now for this policy to be in place we also need to put in some security measures to curb any abuse of this system. Your Xbox will need to check in every 24hrs to validate your library of games, also if you are playing a shared game you will need to remain online. We believe this is a small price to pay in order for us to be able to offer this great new way of sharing and playing with your friends.

I'm sure this can be massaged even better since I just wrote all that from the hip.

Good post man. This is pretty simplified. But the part about having to be on-line to allow sharing I would think won't need to happen since the X1 is always in a low power state. So if it is completely shut off from power it wont work, but as long as it is in low power state or on you can share. Only reason I say this is that people will not want to leave their X1 in full "ON" mode to allow someone with a 3 hours time difference to play their games. But if it would still work in low power mode then that would be good.

As I posted in the another thread, MS really needs to have a meeting and get with the PR department to figure out a time and way to come out and talk about these things in detail and tell people why they are doing what they are doing.

params7

Banned
Xbox Support twitter confirms that simultaneous play is available, whereas Xbox Chief Marketing and Strategy Officer Yusuf Mehdi confirms only one person in the plan can play the shared game at a time.

I'll go with the latter for now. MS needs to get their policy announcements straight.

Walshicus

Xbox Support twitter confirms that simultaneous play is available, whereas Xbox Chief Marketing and Strategy Officer Yusuf Mehdi confirms only one person in the plan can play the shared game at a time.

I'll go with the latter for now. MS needs to get their policy announcements straight.
That's not what Mehdi said though, was it?

Let's just wait for Major Nelson to post the official clarification. Then we'll know for sure. I hope they don't put too much restrictions on it...

cluderi

I'm waiting to hear about country restrictions, I live in a different country to my family/friends and we just got an 18 rating (and they're still a little shaky about some stuff)

Justin

Yes, his library-analogy is pretty much unambiguous. One person (no matter if it is the owner or not) can play one game at a time.

He also mentions a "family plan". Could that imply costs for sharing?

I am pretty sure it is one share copy at a time since the Xbox site says " You can always play your games, and any one of your family members can be playing from your shared library at a given time".

He uploaded a second part where he talks about some stuff that he was told after the interview but doesn't mention his source. Some of the stuff he mentions contradicts what official sources have said.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=OPC4XzyE3Gc#t=219s

So I guess Major Nelson finally gave us some info?

Two players can play at the same time, but only single player games, and the rest of your family can play the other games, correct?

So I guess Major Nelson finally gave us some info?

Two players can play at the same time, but only single player games, and the rest of your family can play the other games, correct?

I don't think anyone that's given an answer really knows the exact specifics. What makes sense to me is:

1. The original owner of a game can always play his/her games no matter what.
2. Anyone in his family circle may check out any game from the owners library, so long as it has not already been check out by another family member.

Mechazawa

How in the world do you check for the former with so many games having multiplayer or online half-steps? Do they have to be offline? Is it based on whether the game pulls your gamertag for anything?

Still need clarity on it.

THE:MILKMAN

Can't be right that you and a friend can play one game and the other 8 play 8 other games at the same time!?

The licensing page says:

Microsoft said:
Just like today, a family member can play your copy of Forza Motorsport at a friend’s house. Only now, they will see not just Forza, but all of your shared games. You can always play your games, and any one of your family members can be playing from your shared library at a given time.

I bolded the important bits.

Can't wait for the clarification....this is another big mess.

Shingro

Really? Because it makes me worry we haven't heard the last of this, and things I thought I figured out might not be right >_>

I suspect we're only REALLY going to know how this system works once it's released... besides, they already said loaning and sharing won't be available at release... so presumably this thing won't work either(?)

Justin

Really? Because it makes me worry we haven't heard the last of this, and thing I thought I figured out might not be right >_>

I suspect we're only REALLY going to know how this system works once it's released... besides, they already said loaning and sharing won't be available at release... so presumably this thing won't work either(?)

No they didn't. They said loaning (physical disks) and renting wouldn't be available at release.

smerfy

Banned
I know we are all confused about the details of this policy, and I hope this doesn't add any more confusion...I'm cross-posting this from another thread because it MAY answer some of the questions that are circulating in this thread. I went to the Microsoft store today and pre-ordered. There was a Microsoft representative there, since it's in Bellevue, so I decided to talk to him about some of the concerns and hopefully clarify a few things. I summarized what he said, but it was about a 20 minute convo and I asked him a bunch of different scenarios to try to nail down some specifics. Here's the points that I posted in the Hype thread:

I talked to the 'on-site' Microsoft representative there about some of the issues, here's a rundown of some of the interesting things he said:

1. In the family/friend circle, concurrent play is allowed on the same game. Say I get battlefield 4 and put it in my share. 1 person can play it with me, single player and/or multiplayer.

2. The other 9 people no longer have access to my shared library until that person is done playing.

3. Every person within the group can make their shared games available, so if 5 people in the group buy battlefield 4, the other 5 can play concurrently through other 'shared libraries' in the group. This way, everyone gets to play.

4. (this one tidbit was REALLY interesting) Let's say you have battlefield 4 in your family share circle, and you pick up halo 5 when it drops. no one in that circle is really interested at all in that game. you can have OTHER circles that you can share games with. You CANNOT have the same game in multiple circles, however. So if you put Halo 5 in one, it cannot be in another unless you remove it from that circle. No word on how many circles you can have, however.

5. The trade-off with this system, as I know a lot of people on GAF were saying there HAD to be one, is already known. It's the 24-hour check. In order to make sure that this system isn't exploitable, they needed a way to ensure that games weren't being passed around physically to be pirated/exploited. So that's the trade-off, to get this type of sharing system between friends/family and keep devs/pubs happy.

There were other things, but I got stuck in traffic and this is all that I one-noted. If I explained something in a way that you don't get, I'll try to rephrase it for you. I'm paraphrasing most of this because our conversation was probably 20 minutes and I had to go through MULTIPLE scenarios and analogies to get exact info from him.

I'm still looking forward to Major Nelson laying it out in plain english, but there were some good tidbits. This is what the Microsoft stores are being trained with from the reps, so take that as you will.

I know we are all confused about the details of this policy, and I hope this doesn't add any more confusion...I'm cross-posting this from another thread because it MAY answer some of the questions that are circulating in this thread. I went to the Microsoft store today and pre-ordered. There was a Microsoft representative there, since it's in Bellevue, so I decided to talk to him about some of the concerns and hopefully clarify a few things. I summarized what he said, but it was about a 20 minute convo and I asked him a bunch of different scenarios to try to nail down some specifics. Here's the points that I posted in the Hype thread:

I'm still looking forward to Major Nelson laying it out in plain english, but there were some good tidbits. This is what the Microsoft stores are being trained with from the reps, so take that as you will.

Nope, thanks Smerfy - that is helpful.

Pop

Don't you still have to wait for them to be on your friends list for 30 days before you can begin sharing?

If so...that's unfortunate for Xbone buyers.

Justin

Don't you still have to wait for them to be on your friends list for 30 days before you can begin sharing?

If so...that's unfortunate for Xbone buyers.

It hasn't been announced yet but it will probably be the case. The 30 days thing was for transferring a game license to another person, not for sharing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom