• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer: You can share your Xbox One games with any 10 people

Status
Not open for further replies.
Will the 24 hour DRM check require gold? Since everything is ALWAYS online now and you need gold to do anything useful online on 360 will the console even work without gold?

Of course not. If it's connected to the internet, that's all you need to do in terms of "checking-in". Doesn't matter if you're Gold or Silver.

Gold is something you will probably want to have on the box, but you aren't forced to get it. If all you play is single-player or local co-op games, you should be fine with Silver.

What's awesome is that if Microsoft actually goes through with this (no loop holes included) then Sony will respond eventually with something similar... everybody wins!

Alx

What's awesome is that if Microsoft actually goes through with this (no loop holes included) then Sony will respond eventually with something similar... everybody wins!

It's a possibility... but they'll also have to do whatever MS did to convince publishers to let users share games "for free".

Bgamer90

Banned

Hopefully. Can't see them doing it instantly though.

Seemingly, a feature like this needs to be built into the console for it to work smoothly. This will be on the Xbox One at launch.

I think that the PS4 would need a pretty significant online update to allow this. But who knows though.

Edit: On top of that, the PS4 allowing disc games to be shared/played freely may not allow Sony to put a similar feature on the PS4 due to publishers saying that the system will be too opened. If the PS4 ends up with its own family share plan then it would more than likely be more restrictive than what's (seemingly) going to happen with the Xbox One.

hijiwe

Isn't this better than loaning? You can instantly loan your game to a friend anywhere in the world for an unlimited amount of time.

The fact that they didn't use the above as the answer for loaning means that there is a catch some where.

"...and any one of your family members can be playing from your shared library at a given time."

You say "at a given time" after an amount to say how many things or how much of something is involved in one action, place, or group.

I'm guessing there will be a TIME LIMIT. The max amount of time a "family member" has access to a specific game title in the shared library will be decided by the publisher of said game title. The owner of the shared library can also adjust the time limit, but it can't exceed the max time limit set by the publisher. I doubt any publisher will give unlimited access to titles in the shared library. The norm will probably range from 1 hour to several hours, depending on what kind of game it is (MP shooter, SP RPG).

EDIT: A given time simply means "concurrently" although I wouldn't be surprised if publishers limit when lending can begin e.g. a month after release.

People need to stop posting tweets from Xbox support as if they know shit all beyond any information that's publicly available... :/
Seemingly, a feature like this needs to be built into the console for it to work smoothly. This will be on the Xbox One at launch.

I think that the PS4 would need a pretty significant online update to allow this. But who knows though.
All they would have to do to essentially match this in a workable manner is to carry forward the ability to activate your account on two systems to the PS4 and implement a system where retail purchases added the equivalent digital game to your download list. It wouldn't be difficult at all.

But it would be largely redundant, as from what is described the sole benefit right now is the ability to lend without physical interaction.

But it would be largely redundant, as from what is described the sole benefit right now is the ability to lend without physical interaction.

There is a fact that a large chunk of consumers have broadband internet, and a large percentage of those consumers are going to purchase their games digitally.
Especially since Xbox One has day 1 digital releases, and I would assume you can probably pre-load the games.
That is where this feature is a big bonus.

And if you can use the owner's DLC licenses, that would be a huge plus too over physical sharing.

Parapraxis

Okay...this has been said on twitter.
The 10 "Family Plan" members can all use 1 gold account
Can this be true?
It seems that this just makes it even more unbelievable/confusing.

jibTuRz.png

Nibiru

Banned
This is so contradictory with the other systems at work in the Xbone that it literally sounds like a bold faced lie to sell consoles.

No way is that true, it totally flies in the face of what the higher ups have been saying. How would the console limit it to 2 people if they are all the same profile?

MogCakes

Okay...this has been said on twitter.
The 10 "Family Plan" members can all use 1 gold account
Can this be true?
It seems that this just makes it even more unbelievable/confusing.

jibTuRz.png

Do NOT take the word of Xbox Support at face value. Their statements have a history of VERY BAD credibility. Wait for the post from Major Nelson. For now the best indicator of how the policy works is on the Xbox One site, and no other. People posted twitter comments from Xbox Support earlier and all it did was cause mass confusion and muck everything up.

Man, too damn much misinformation being spread around.

SPDIF

I thought it had already been confirmed that one Gold membership can be shared amongst multiple users on the same console?

HTupolev

I thought it had already been confirmed that one Gold membership can be shared amongst multiple users on the same console?
That's not the same thing as the 10-person game-sharing system. The support tweet makes it sound as though a single XBL Gold account can support 10 consoles at once.

bitoriginal

I can guarantee that this doesn't work if the person who owns the library is logged in. They're trying to spin this as some kind of awesome user friendly feature, but it completely contradicts the idea of the DRM they have created. Microsoft are not going to let players share libraries and play each others games without a catch.

Klocker

same console yes THAT is correct in the same house/ console yes GT all can use ONE gold purchase, this does not apply to the "family Sharing" of games on the outside of house and if it does, well that would be a mind bender if what they are saying about 10 people not having to be relatives or same house

I can guarantee that this doesn't work if the person who owns the library is logged in. They're trying to spin this as some kind of awesome user friendly feature, but it completely contradicts the idea of the DRM they have created. Microsoft are not going to let players share libraries and play each others games without a catch.

uh yes they are

because the DRM isn't there to piss people off it's to control the ownership of digital content and bring cool features like this and possibly digital rentals and subscriptions in the future

What?!?! You can split the cost of XBL Gold AND split the cost of games?

They specifically announced that at the reveal, but it may have been for a primary console (anyone who logs into your primary console gets Gold access). Not sure if it applies to this family sharing program though. Would be great if that was also a part of the deal.

I will admit this is a great idea. However I am confused because they allow this but they will not allow rentals or lending.

I think they are referring to going to a place like Blockbuster/GameFly and renting/loaning games. Probably would be a problem because how would BB add you to their family plan?

i bet the secondary account playing your game has the once every 1 hour online check enabled
This is a case where that's not such a big deal. I mean if you're taking advantage of online sharing then there's a certain expectation that you have the ability to be connected to the Internet.

Also this is a really cool feature that I don't understand why is getting so much negative press. Yeah you should be able to also just give someone a disk and have it work as well, but this is a cool feature either way. I mean I can't just hand a disk to my friend who moved to NC (I live in MA). I'd have to mail it to him. Now I can just give him access to my library. That's cool.

I wonder if the real reason for the DRM is so they can stream your Xbox games to your PC/tablet? In the Yukon leak they mention streaming games to PCs and tablets. If your game collection is stored in the cloud it should be possible.

Caja 117

They specifically announced that at the reveal, but it may have been for a primary console (anyone who logs into your primary console gets Gold access). Not sure if it applies to this family sharing program though. Would be great if that was also a part of the deal.

Or Maybe that is the deal, and that the "Family plan" that gives gold access to different child accounts and the "family" term used to share game libraries are one and the same, it is kind of weird they would use the same word for two totally different group of people.

I will admit this is a great idea. However I am confused because they allow this but they will not allow rentals or lending.
The reasoning behind DRM is unlikely Microsoft "wanting" to block people from renting or lending games..
They have to be able to control all the copies of games in order for publishers to back this kind of system.
They need to make sure there is little room for abuse, and that turns out to be DRM.

soldat7

And I still fail to see how this benefits the publishers in any way, shape, or form.

shpankey

not an idiot
Damn, this seals it for me. XBOne day one. I was off the band wagon too. I don't even care if only 1 person can play at 1 time. If their entire library opens up to me and vice versa. Holy crap. I can play games they bought years ago that I never got around to. Most people only play a few games at a time... lots of people spend all their time on their current game of choice. This would open up all their past games to me and when they move on from their current game, I'll play it. For free I can wait a few weeks/months/even years.

Holy shit this is a deal maker for me in a BIG BIG way! I can have access to 10 friends libraries at once. A lot of games will be doubled up with 10 people, so even if 1 person is playing the latest game, Joe Shmoe is at work and his version is there for me to play now.

I don't like DRM at all and online checks sucks. But to be completely honest, this would never ever cause a real issue for me. I've been online 100% of the time for years and years now. I don't like the idea, but it would not actually ever affect me in any way. At all. So it was more of a principle thing that made me jump out. But this 10 person family thing puts me in right now and in a HUGE way. This is fucking SWEET!

dmg04

#DEADWRONG
You do realize that if there was no DRM, you could lend out your game to an infinite amount of people or sell it at a retailer without any problems, right?

More like you can lend your game to a few gamers, one at a time, and eventually find out your disk is fucked. (worst case scenario)

Xbox will let multiple people download said game to their respective boxes and possibly have multiple people playing the same game at the same time.

The argument of 'you can lend it to infinite friends' is stomped on by 'one at a time', where this sharing plan gives you 10, multiple at one time.

As for selling the game; you will be able to sell the game back to gamestop or whatever. I don't understand where people are getting the idea we can't trade back in physical copies of things?

If you download the game to your HD from the internet, obviously you can't trade it in.

Klocker

I don't get how sharing xbox live gold will work? Are you guys sure about that? It doesn't make sense.

basically, in my house with my two step kids (or however many live in your home) on one Xbox One we can each have our own GT and use the Xbox as our own when logged in but the BOX only needs my one Gold license for everyone to use all the Gold features, MP etc... any content purchased on gold (all games etc) can be used by anyone in house under their tag

this is different than Family "game sharing" which we doubt has gold sharing a it could be a different Box in someone else's house so they would need their own gold

You do realize that if there was no DRM, you could lend out your game to an infinite amount of people or sell it at a retailer without any problems, right?

Yeah, like I really want to ship my games all around the country.

This new system makes it a lot easier for people who don't see each other all the time to share games.

MogCakes

Apparently we're listening to Xbox Support now!
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=590951
These rumors must be true!

Or maybe we only listen to them when it is bad news for Xbone?
Oh GAF hivemind, never change.

I don't trust Xbox Support on anything they say positive or negative. The person who made that thread apparently does. Don't lump everyone together, yeah? But of course it's easier for you to do that so you can differentiate yourself from 'the hivemind'.

I don't trust Xbox Support on anything they say positive or negative. The person who made that thread apparently does. Don't lump everyone together, yeah? But of course it's easier for you to do that so you can differentiate yourself from 'the hivemind'.

Hey, I am part of a hivemind too! Don't leave me out.
And I reworded my post because it was too critical, guess you refreshed your page inbetween :p

I agree both the positive stuff and the negative stuff they have said sound unbelievable. If what they said is true though it would be epic and scary at the same time lol. I so far trust the ARS article and the official Xbox news site. I believe only one person besides the owner can access a game at a time. 2 people can play the same game concurrently if one is the owner.

Daylight

This is how I understand it:

1) Every Gold Subscriber has their friends list, and then a family list.

2) If I put you on my family list, you can play any of my games, or the same game I'm playing, as long as no one else on my list is playing one of my shared games.

3) If I want to play your games, you have to put me on your family list. I don't have access to your shared games just because I put you on my family list.

Does that sound about right?

anyone still interested in actually buying this anti consumer product? I cant for the life of me understand why anyone would want to hand over their hard earned money to this anti consumer company.

tafer

Eh... I don't think it is a good idea to discard OFFICIAL communication channels. So far the countless contradictions and ambiguities only reinforce the idea that we should wait for a formal, concrete and official response before making any decision.

Walshicus

anyone still interested in actually buying this anti consumer product? I cant for the life of me understand why anyone would want to hand over their hard earned money to this anti consumer company.

Can we stop saying "anti consumer" when we actually mean "bad value proposition"?

Anti consumer implies that a company is misleading, changing the rules for existing customers or being otherwise duplicitous. None of that applies here - they've not launched the product and the reason you're here complaining about it is because they've informed you prior to purchase of the limitations imposed. You are not forced to buy this. You are an adult who can presumably weigh up the pros and cons of each purchase you make.

And to answer your question; yes. If this sharing mechanism works as per the official word to date, then yes many people will want to buy the Xbox One. You see a lot of people defend Steam because while there are no trade-ins, the value for money of the service is quite high. A large swathe of people here don't really care about "customer rights" - they care about value for money.

tafer

Can we stop saying "anti consumer" when we actually mean "bad value proposition"?

Anti consumer implies that a company is misleading, changing the rules for existing customers or being otherwise duplicitous. None of that applies here - they've not launched the product and the reason you're here complaining about it is because they've informed you prior to purchase of the limitations imposed. You are not forced to buy this. You are an adult who can presumably weigh up the pros and cons of each purchase you make.

Infinite power of the cloud PR?

Alx

I agree with that. That term is just inappropriate and doesn't help having good discussions.
A company offers a product/service with certain conditions. There are pros and cons to those conditions, it's the customer's choice to decide if it's worth it or not. Business as usual, both the consumer and the company are trying to make a deal, they're not fighting each other.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom