• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pics that don't make you laugh but are still cool

DD

j1DWGOB.jpg

"A rainy night in Tokyo"

I love this type of photos.

Melchiah

08_22_2012_fractal-lie1ot1.gif

Zooming in with an electron microscope: Life on life on life!

The final stop of this zoom, which spans multiple orders of magnitude, is a little bacterium. That bacterium is resting on a diatom, a class of algae that are known for their silica shells. The diatom is, in turn, sitting on an amphipod, a type of shell-less crustacean.

Via Smithsonian Magazine, Image Credit: James Tyrwhitt-Drake

Melchiah

INa3K9z.jpg

Neuschwanstein Castle in Bavaria, Germany
Initially built at the behest of reclusive King Ludwig II as a private retreat, Neuschwanstein today is one of the most popular of palaces and castles in all of Europe. It's easy to see why: majestically built, the castle sits atop a cliff ridge and has ornate, historic rooms. Look familiar? Sleeping Beauty Castle at Disneyland Park is based on this very fortress.

n2oTIdy.jpg

Hohenzollern Castle in Hohenzollern, Germany
Situated atop a 768-ft. bluff in the foothills of the Swabian Alps, this picturesque castle is more than just nice to look at: With its many towers and fortifications, it's considered a relic of 19th-century military architecture, too.

More here:
http://www.cntraveler.com/galleries/2015-12-29/the-10-most-beautiful-snow-castles-in-the-world

Irminsul

Fun fact: I grew up in the near vicinity of the Hohenzollern Castle. It sits on a rather isolated and prominent hill (it's not really a mountain by alpine standards), which just adds to its beauty and striking sight.

The description you quoted isn't really correct, however. In contrast to Neuschwanstein, Hohenzollern Castle does have parts that are much older, i.e., proper 12th-15th century Gothic architecture in contrast to the 19th century Gothic revival that was added later (and, again in contrast to Neuschwanstein, was a more "faithful" reconstruction of what an old castle actually looked like). Alas, the old parts are mostly part of the foundation, so what you actually see is the "new" stuff. And no, it never was "19th-century military architecture", that's a stupid idea. It's a romanticised version of the "ideal" medieval castle.

Melchiah

Fun fact: I grew up in the near vicinity of the Hohenzollern Castle. It sits on a rather isolated and prominent hill (it's not really a mountain by alpine standards), which just adds to its beauty and striking sight.

The description you quoted isn't really correct, however. In contrast to Neuschwanstein, Hohenzollern Castle does have parts that are much older, i.e., proper 12th-15th century Gothic architecture in contrast to the 19th century Gothic revival that was added later (and, again in contrast to Neuschwanstein, was a more "faithful" reconstruction of what an old castle actually looked like). Alas, the old parts are mostly part of the foundation, so what you actually see is the "new" stuff. And no, it never was "19th-century military architecture", that's a stupid idea. It's a romanticised version of the "ideal" medieval castle.

Ah, thanks for correcting the errors I took from the source. I've visited many of the castles along the Rhine river in my childhood, but I don't think I've ever been to that castle. I'd really like to revisit them at some point.

EDIT:
YNoTIQJ.gif

Yeah, jokes aside, if you can't see it... er, well I don't know. Make sure the image is full size (and probably not viewed on mobile), and just look around the image. It should ripple and wobble.

It's extremely effective for me, very obvious warping and breathing.

Melchiah

Übermatik;192148262 said:
Yeah, jokes aside, if you can't see it... er, well I don't know. Make sure the image is full size (and probably not viewed on mobile), and just look around the image. It should ripple and wobble.

It's extremely effective for me, very obvious warping and breathing.

I can definitely see that.

Melchiah

http://www.ignant.de/2016/01/14/a-house-with-a-rooftop-infinity-pool/
A House With A Rooftop Infinity Pool

Kois Associated Architects designed a panoramic house with an infinity pool as the roof located on the Greek island of Tinos.

The one-story ‘Mirage’ house is nestled into the island’s rugged landscape and offers stunning views over the Aegean Sea. Using local techniques like dry wall construction, the structure was also made of local materials such as retained earth. Speaking of the inspiration behind the concept, the architects say: “We wanted to make a house fused with its surroundings, an invisible oasis hidden from unsuspecting eyes. “We wanted to make a house fused with its surroundings, an invisible oasis hidden from unsuspecting eyes.” The house is acts almost like an observation point as it clings to the rocks and oversees the dramatic cascading landscape.”
More images in the link.

uaFZ1sv.jpg

9wCCGTJ.jpg

Real life clipping:

20070920_von-hinten.jpg

dCIKCZD.jpg

Real life screen tearing:

glitch_two.jpg

glitch_one.jpg

Real life bad UV mapping:

Dny1OWhh.jpg

Real life poor displacement mapping:

tumblr_mvyjqhUYsS1sl913vo1_1280.jpg

Real life view distance/poor world generation

7fbkEHn.jpg

j1DWGOB.jpg

"A rainy night in Tokyo"
These are incredible...

Is there a way to download them? They would make great wallpapers. I saw the author disabled downloads, but is there a savvy way to get past that and still get the photo in its original res? Nothing comes to mind except print-screening.

Top Bottom