• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pics that don't make you laugh but are still cool

Although it didn't work out in the end, this is still very impressive.
I'm really happy at these private corps pushing hard for progress in space travel.

Aye, a really unfortunate failure , so close! I'm excited at the possibilities private companies will realise.

KSjzu7d.gif

Alx

Although it didn't work out in the end, this is still very impressive.
I'm really happy at these private corps pushing hard for progress in space travel.

Why are they even trying to land on a hard floor ? Wouldn't the same approach done over a large pool reduce the risk of that scenario ?

Donos

Why are they even trying to land on a hard floor ? Wouldn't the same approach done over a large pool reduce the risk of that scenario ?
Costs, safety, speed, reuseability.

SpaceX has ample reasons to keep trying to perfect this landing-at-sea technique, despite the immense technical difficulties of trying to slow a rocket traveling roughly 5,000 mph and land it on a bobbing platform. Foremost among them: Spacecraft returning from lunar orbit, Mars, and other deep reaches of the solar system fly at much higher speeds than those in low-earth orbit, such as NASA's space shuttle.

Landing on ship at sea offers a greater safety margin, especially as SpaceX ventures farther into space, said Scott Pace, director of the Space Policy Institute at George Washington University. “If you are coming back at higher speed, a small error can mean a large miss distance,” he said. “For safety purposes, you have a wider area to work with with a drone ship.”

A drone ship also offers SpaceX greater flexibility for landings, given the potential for land-based space ports to become crowded, he said. For Sunday’s launch, there’s another, even more practical consideration: SpaceX does not have a landing pad at Vandenberg. In the successful Dec. 21 rocket landing, SpaceX’s Falcon 9 booster came to rest less than 10 minutes after launch at a location about six miles south of the Cape Canaveral launch pad.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...ex-needs-to-land-a-rocket-on-a-floating-drone

missile

With a hard floor you get the same repulsion force from the ground, which can
be controlled much better than landing on an unsteady one. Going by the video,
the same blow-up would have happend on any other ground. The rocket lands in
a bang-bang maneuver style, i.e. full thrust applied to deaccelerate the rocket
up until touching ground where the booster shuts down immediately. However,
from the video it can be seen that the weight of the rocket isn't fully
carried by the ground as the booster shuts off leading to a shock accelerating
the rocket downwards again. With the rocket not full centered an angular
momentum develops starting to rotate the rocket which couldn't be countered
by the landing frame.

With a hard floor you get the same repulsion force from the ground, which can
be controlled much better than landing on an unsteady one. Going by the video,
the same blow-up would have happend on any other ground. The rocket lands in
a bang-bang maneuver style, i.e. full thrust applied to deaccelerate the rocket
up until touching ground where the booster shuts down immediately. However,
from the video it can be seen that the weight of the rocket isn't fully
carried by the ground as the booster shuts off leading to a shock accelerating
the rocket downwards again. With the rocket not full centered an angular
momentum develops starting to rotate the rocket which couldn't be countered
by the landing frame.
The leg didn't lock.

Looks like it. But it seems that there is too much load on the legs the moment
the booster goes off, a lil too early? Is it know that the leg didn't lock?
Yes. Elon Musk tweeted that
it was potentially condensation buildup
from the excess fog on the day
of launch.

Melchiah

Took this pic today, when I was walking around the local cemetery with my girlfriend. I think the surname made it pretty cool.

3OA5H9p.jpg

Iranian skiers are reflected in the goggles of a skier at Dizin Ski Resort, 45 miles (72 kilometers) north of the capital Tehran; Ebrahim Noroozi

main_1500.jpg

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.

Melchiah

1pUHyZm.jpg

re8ZpLZ.jpg

http://architizer.com/blog/brutalism-in-ruins/
Brutalism in Ruins: Exploring Casa Sperimentale, Italy’s Lost Architectural Relic

As far back as the 18th century, people have been fascinated with ruins as picturesque compositions, but our collective obsession with the shells of forgotten architecture is not limited to quaint abbeys, run-down warehouses, and rural cottages.

In the town of Fregene on the outskirts of Rome, Italy, photographer and urban explorer Oliver Astrologo has been documenting a very different kind of deteriorated building: architect Giuseppe Perugini’s ‘Casa Sperimentale’ (experimental house), a wild, eclectic ode to Brutalism that is slowly crumbling away on a wooded plot near the coast.

The architect built the house in the late 1960s as a way to explore ideas pertaining to form and space at a 1:1 scale. Perugini passed away in 1995, and, for the past 20 years, the house has been left to deteriorate, steadily overwhelmed by plant life, and vandalized with graffiti.

The home is a striking, Frankenstein-like amalgamation of volumes that possess dashes of Paul Rudolph’s Brutalism and Le Corbusier’s Modernism. There are even echoes of Casa Sperimentale present within contemporary experiments by Moshe Safdie (see Habitat 67) and Rem Koolhaas (check out OMA’s Maison à Bordeaux). But Perugini’s house is far less famous than those architects’ radical residences. Astrologo’s new images provide a fresh view of this neglected curiosity and help tell its story to a new generation of architects.

The photographer places models within this melancholy but eerily beautiful setting to add a sense of scale and emphasize the contrasting textures of metal, glass, and concrete present within Perugini’s cacophony of brutalist gestures. From the cascade of glazed cubes to a gargantuan concrete sphere complete with a circular portal, the building, now, appears as an architectural playground where the original rules of program no longer apply.
More images in the link.

ToD_

Übermatik;194221580 said:
L2HLQW8.jpg

Dune 45 in Sossusvlei, Namibia

Übermatik;195468524 said:
Sulamani Temple, Bagan, Myanmar.

24934797502_154c1a0306_h.jpg

I recommend checking out the film Samsara if you like the above two images. It's a beautifully shot documentary (no narrative), which features both of the above scenes and much more. The Blu-Ray of this is one of the best looking I have seen.

You can find a PDF here listing the locations in the film with images and shared experiences.

I recommend checking out the film Samsara if you like the above two images. It's a beautifully shot documentary (no narrative), which features both of the above scenes and much more. The Blu-Ray of this is one of the best looking I have seen.

You can find a PDF here listing the locations in the film with images and shared experiences.

Aye I've seen it before! Beautiful footage. I can recommend Baraka too.

Top Bottom