• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pizza Hut to test selling pizza by the slice in select locations

Status
Not open for further replies.

RoadDogg

I pay $10 for a medium pan pizza, bread sticks, and cinnasticks. Going by that value a single slice would cost $0.63 (rounding up) so they can't charge more than $1 and expect to sell anything.

Accoun

In 99 I remember going in a Pizza Hut location with my family and we each ordered a slice, I even got an Episode 1 Yoda Toy from there. Maybe this store just did their own thing then? I didn't think this was a new thing.

No, I'm sure as hell there was a per-slice takeaway in Pizza Hut here in Poland for as long as I can remember, which is like, 10-15 years (never really understood buying single slices, though). Where are you from? Someone from Germany said something about already having that, so maybe it's an European (or at least non-American) thing?

Harpuia

I just occured to me that pizza hut pies are tiny...I guess the price for a pie seems about right for it. They taste ok... albeit, a bit cheaper than if I were to buy an actual 14 inch pie a block from where I live. 2 bucks for one of their tiny slices seems like I'm getting jipped.

joelseph

No, I'm sure as hell there was a per-slice takeaway in Pizza Hut here in Poland for as long as I can remember, which is like, 10-15 years (never really understood buying single slices, though). Where are you from? Someone from Germany said something about already having that, so maybe it's an European (or at least non-American) thing?

Come on now.

Long ago there was the Pizza Hut reading program called Book-It. American kids would receive a Book-It button, and for every book you finished you would get a star to put on the button. Once that button was filled you could take it to a Pizza Hut and get a free personal pan pizza. This was only a side attraction for the arcade machine that was shoved in the corner of every Pizza Hut at the time. What started off as Superman eventually became Super Mario 3. Can you imagine your mind, after having spent plenty of your parents quarters on the first board of Super Mario 3 in the fucking Pizza Hut Arcade, to then go watch The Wizard in the theater and witness Fred Savage get the warp whistle? I feel sorry for youngsters.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Pretty sure Pizza Hut in the UK used to have takeaway windows at some branches where you could just buy a slice I a little cardboard tray. That must have been 15-20 years ago.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Come on now.

Long ago there was the Pizza Hut reading program called Book-It. American kids would receive a Book-It button, and for every book you finished you would get a star to put on the button. Once that button was filled you could take it to a Pizza Hut and get a free personal pan pizza. This was only a side attraction for the arcade machine that was shoved in the corner of every Pizza Hut at the time. What started off as Superman eventually became Super Mario 3. Can you imagine your mind, after having spent plenty of your parents quarters on the first board of Super Mario 3 in the fucking Pizza Hut Arcade, to then go watch The Wizard in the theater and watch Fred Savage get the warp whistle? I feel sorry for youngsters.

Shit man, you just brought back so many memories on so many levels. I was a rock star with that reading program.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
LOL exactly. I think Pizza Hut is being to think their pizza taste good and authentic.

I love pizza hut pizza. I know it gets a lot of haters, but I love it. I don't get it often because there are so many other places for Pizza in NYC, but I do have a soft spot for Pizza Hut when I see it.

Mindwipe

Pretty sure Pizza Hut in the UK used to have takeaway windows at some branches where you could just buy a slice I a little cardboard tray. That must have been 15-20 years ago.

They still do. There's one in Leicester Square for example. It's been there for twenty years.

Camp Lo

Banned
I love pizza hut pizza. I know it gets a lot of haters, but I love it. I don't get it often because there are so many other places for Pizza in NYC, but I do have a soft spot for Pizza Hut when I see it.

Nostalgia. You, like me, got hooked during that Book It program with the personal pan pizzas. Once I got some real I never looked back
except for the occasional stuffed crust

Kemal86

I live in central Illinois and the Pizza Hut 3 blocks from my apartment has been selling slices for ~6 months. Just from 1PM-4PM during the week though.

jediyoshi

Come on now.

Long ago there was the Pizza Hut reading program called Book-It. American kids would receive a Book-It button, and for every book you finished you would get a star to put on the button. Once that button was filled you could take it to a Pizza Hut and get a free personal pan pizza.

Ugh crazy flashback. Our chain here Round Table Pizza used to have this program. Think I eventually got to a point where even as a kid I got sick of pizza.

krae_man

Not only is this wrong as fuck, what does this have to do with anything?

I'm sorry but I'm going to have to agree. pineapple on pizza is just terrible. You can't even pick them off because the taste still remains and you're likely to miss some as they are the same color as the cheese.

A cheap slice will run you almost $4 in Canada. Little Ceasers hot and ready's are mediums not large and $5.55. We haven't had $1 slices in, man I don't remember every having $1 slices.

char0n

$3 a slice is crazy, especially for pizza hut pizza. They should just do what normal places do and have pizzas kept warm under a heat lamp/heated tray and sell it for $1 a slice on demand (no microwaving necessary). That's the ONLY way I can think of them trying to justify $3 is that employees actually have to take the time/effort to microwave individual slices which is really a terrible waste of time/resources.

Troy_laughing.gif

I can get a whole pizza for $5 at domino's.

That's exactly what I was thinking; no point in paying $3 for a slice. This is going to fail.

Slizz

I pay 3.75 for a slice of pizza from a 24" pie and a coke. Throw on another 1.50 and get a half dozen garlic rolls.

5.75 for 2 slices and a coke. I love it, they know me and remember me.

Isn't the Pizza Hut buffet a way better deal if you are going to actually visit a Pizza Hut?

SegaShack

I'm from America actually. It is a distinct memory, not something that I'm fooling myself on. Maybe at that point it varied by store?

If you have a Pizza Hut that still does a buffet, their pizza buffet is pretty nice for an occasional hog out session.

Got much better places for pizza by the slice though and that's in West Virginia. Can't imagine people were clamoring for this in NY.

That price is ridiculous. Then again I saw a Sbarro's at the mall charging I think 3.99 for a slice and a drink.

Pizza Hut tastes pretty good to me, except I feel like I gain about 20lbs of fat with each bite. Love the crust, especially the stuffed crust. I actually prefer Donato's these days.

I think I ate pizza twice in 2013. I've been slowly cleaning up my eating habits the past couple of years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom