• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Plasma, LCD, OLED, LED, best tv for next gen

Plasma's have a half life of about 100,00 hours.

aka longer than any average TV will realistically last.

People confuse image burn in (permanent) with image retention (temporary). Burn in is pretty hard to get.

A lot of Plasmas will get you far better motion clarity, deeper blacks, overall far better picture quality. Higher end plasmas also do not suffer from glare thanks to superior filters and panels.

Low end Plasmas can look pretty cruddy, but midrange to high end will vary from best value to best TV period.

Nice, very to the point! Is there a brand that's considered mid to high end? I'm seeing for example an Insignia, a brand I've never heard of going for just under 600, whereas a Samsung for the same size going for 1,200. Is that what you meant by the difference in quality?

Dead

well not really...yet
Panasonic offer the best value, and the best overall TV

ST series is the best value TV. Great picture quality for a reasonable price, outperforms LEDs that cost far more. A 50" typically goes for about $950-$1000 depending on where you buy.

VT and ZT series offer pretty much the best picture on any available TV. If you have the money ($2000 to $4000) no other TVs offer a picture as good as these.

Difference in quality meaning performance/image quality. Higher end models have higher end panels and filters netting you deeper black levels, even in bright rooms for example.

Experienced a 55inch 4K TV up close and personal. My reaction

tumblr_inline_mkqiysbwp61qz4rgp.gif

senahorse

Looking for a gaming only TV. I currently have a Kuro and an ST50 but I want something a bit bigger which will be just used for gaming.

I am considering a Panasonic S60 (60") and it will be used in my gaming room which has blackout curtains and I usually (when by myself) play with the lights out. Considering I am only going to be gaming on it, is it worth me spending more on something else? It seems if I want low input lag but decent picture quality I have to spend more than double of what an S60 goes for. Coming from a Kuro is the PQ going to be THAT noticeable when just used for games?

amar212

Looking for a gaming only TV. I currently have a Kuro and an ST50 but I want something a bit bigger which will be just used for gaming.

I am considering a Panasonic S60 (60") and it will be used in my gaming room which has blackout curtains and I usually (when by myself) play with the lights out. Considering I am only going to be gaming on it, is it worth me spending more on something else? It seems if I want low input lag but decent picture quality I have to spend more than double of what an S60 goes for. Coming from a Kuro is the PQ going to be THAT noticeable when just used for games?

2012 Panasonic model 65"ST50 looks like your perfect new TV.

GlamFM

Banned
Panasonic offer the best value, and the best overall TV

ST series is the best value TV. Great picture quality for a reasonable price, outperforms LEDs that cost far more. A 50" typically goes for about $950-$1000 depending on where you buy.

VT and ZT series offer pretty much the best picture on any available TV. If you have the money ($2000 to $4000) no other TVs offer a picture as good as these.

Difference in quality meaning performance/image quality. Higher end models have higher end panels and filters netting you deeper black levels, even in bright rooms for example.

So the Panasonic TX-P55STW60 would be a good choice?

mr stroke

Got our 65" ZT60 up and mounted today-

Absolutely mind blowing picture quality. The best picture I have ever seen on any display, (having had last years Samsung LED and even a previous Kuro) and no noticeable lag or IR/Burn in so far with playing the TLOU.

Anyone considering a new TV, do not skip Panasonic's 2013 60 sieres.

Boss Man

So what are the chances of a plasma getting burn-in problems an what can you do to avoid it?

That was my main fear when I got an LCD at the beginning of this generation.

Arment

I've been between the P50S60 and the P50ST50 for a while. $300 dollar difference and it seems like for that I get half the input lag and 3D, so I'm definitely leaning towards the ST50 now. Just a little bit more saving,

codhand

finally got some IR marathoning inFamous, it was the small circle from the Karma hud, and went away after about 20 minutes....

Bamihap

Good at being the bigger man
So what are the chances of a plasma getting burn-in problems an what can you do to avoid it?

Burn in: Not very likely.
Image retention: Yes, this will happen. BUT It'll only happen temporarily (for example, your hud might leave a ghost image for 10 minutes after playing X hours.

I love my Panasonic plasma 50vt50. It's image quality is amazing.

I game for hours on my plasma and i never got burn in before. I remember falling asleep for about an hour playing Mass Effect 2 with the menu displayed. I woke up thinking the menu bars would be burned into the screen. But all it had was a ghost image of it. I put on a white color slide for a few minutes and it was gone.

I have a 151 kuro elite. They were suppose to be the best at it but i'm sure the newer plasmas are just as good.

garath

I'm looking for a reasonably priced TV to play some PS4, blu-rays, etc on and was very happy to find the Panasonic plasma S60 only to find out it only has 2 HDMI inputs on the back. Ugh.

I was hoping to move away from my HDMI switcher as it's a pita even with my logitech harmony one.

Overall it seems like the best option for the money though. Low input lag and decent picture quality.

MarkusRJR

I love my 48" HD rear projection CRT, but the over scan is pretty annoying in some situations (it's 3% on the sides and 5% on the top and bottom). Love the picture quality despite the overscan. My LCD has basically become my main TV though, since it has zero overscan. It's a shame though since the picture quality is much worse and has input lag.

Got our 65" ZT60 up and mounted today-

Absolutely mind blowing picture quality. The best picture I have ever seen on any display, (having had last years Samsung LED and even a previous Kuro) and no noticeable lag or IR/Burn in so far with playing the TLOU.

Anyone considering a new TV, do not skip Panasonic's 2013 60 sieres.

Very nice! I'm considering redoing my entertainment set up and going with a BDI stand and wall mounting my ZT, as it is currently mounted to a stand with integrated mount. Not sure if you are getting yours professionally calibrated but as I posted in teh owners thread I have some settings you can try if you want.

Even though settings don't really transfer over from display to display you're more then welcome to them. I have a few different ones I have with different calibration techniques I tried. All with the calibration report and the report is solid.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Got our 65" ZT60 up and mounted today

Maaaaan I am jealous. But yeesh it sure doesn't look 65" in that image, it looks smaller than my 50". Clearly some kind of scale illusion going on in my head.

Great to hear about the input lag tho, that's something I was worried about. Just the idea of spending 3K+ on a TV and "whups sucks for games lol."

Won't be in the market for a new TV for another year or so, once we finally get out of our apartment and into a proper house, but I will totally be on board for this set, or a 2014 equivalent (hoping Panasonic still has one more year left in 'em before bailing on the business.).

I prefer OLED, even LED tv's over Plasma because plasma tv's have hideous glare, and the screen is too dark, whereas you don't have those problems with either OLED or LED tv's.

Whenever i go to an electronic shop, i can always tell wich ones are the plasmas... the ones with the dark image and crazy ass glare.

SystemsGo

Banned
Got the Panasonic ST50 (TC-P55ST50) and holy shit it's so gorgeous. As thin, if not thinner, than many LEDs out there. Great reviews across the board on the internets if you don't believe me.

I've been between the P50S60 and the P50ST50 for a while. $300 dollar difference and it seems like for that I get half the input lag and 3D, so I'm definitely leaning towards the ST50 now. Just a little bit more saving,

Skip the S60 and check out the UT50 if you don't want to go for the ST50, it's almost the same picture quality except it doesn't have the filter which maintains the deep blacks in a bright room. I've seen it go for around $600 at various retailers.

Got the Panasonic ST50 (TC-P55ST50) and holy shit it's so gorgeous. As thin, if not thinner, than many LEDs out there. Great reviews across the board on the internets if you don't believe me.

Had this for a week and returned it. Dithering, IR after five minutes, cheap bezel/stand, and ads built in to the set. Online reviewers do not seem to value the same things I value.

iNvid02

Uhm, does anyone know any review or user opinions on this TV? I can't find much :(

sony-kdl-42w655a_iph3w18165667.jpg

Sony KDL-42W655A

got the 42W653 recently, i think its the same model as above but renamed for different countries.

anyway, i just wanted a solid gaming set without 3D that had minimal input lag. this is the midrange in sony's 2013 line but seemed to fit the bill and offered some nice features like usb recording and built in wifi (no dongle) as well as the usual playing files from usb, picture in picture or picture by picture, and dlna support. sony's top 2013 models (non 4k) come with a triluminos panel, local dimming, nfc, active 3D, and an extra 600hz of motionflow etc but i didnt need most of that.

design is very slick overall, everything from the tiny bezel to the stand (also acts as a wall mount so need to buy extra shit). its really light too if you want practice your deadlift?! the sony logo acts as ir receiver for the remote and lights up... ui wise its pretty simple (not the XMB thankfully), i prefer this to samsung's compacted interface.

pressing the SEN button brings up a list of all the on demand services, it supports most of the major video services and also has social media (facebook, twitter) and skype (webcam accessory required). browsing youtube on TVs has come a long way since i last checked, typing still sucks with a remote but it suggests what letter you might want next which saves a lot of time. bravia sync tech comes with most sony stuff and allows you to control devices with the TV remote, you can run through the XMB on a PS3, control certain audio systems etc - if you have a lot of sony devices it might be nice.

i'd say its a good all rounder for sure at a reasonable price. here is a thread over at av discussing this particular range

got the 42W653 recently, i think its the same model as above but renamed for different countries.

anyway, i just wanted a solid gaming set without 3D that had minimal input lag. this is the midrange in sony's 2013 line but seemed to fit the bill and offered some nice features like usb recording and built in wifi (no dongle) as well as the usual playing files from usb, picture in picture or picture by picture, and dlna support. sony's top 2013 models (non 4k) come with a triluminos panel, local dimming, nfc, active 3D, and an extra 600hz of motionflow etc but i didnt need most of that.

design is very slick overall, everything from the tiny bezel to the stand (also acts as a wall mount so need to buy extra shit). its really light too if you want practice your deadlift?! the sony logo acts as ir receiver for the remote and lights up... ui wise its pretty simple (not the XMB thankfully), i prefer this to samsung's compacted interface.

pressing the SEN button brings up a list of all the on demand services, it supports most of the major video services and also has social media (facebook, twitter) and skype (webcam accessory required). browsing youtube on TVs has come a long way since i last checked, typing still sucks with a remote but it suggests what letter you might want next which saves a lot of time. bravia sync tech comes with most sony stuff and allows you to control devices with the TV remote, you can run through the XMB on a PS3, control certain audio systems etc - if you have a lot of sony devices it might be nice.

i'd say its a good all rounder for sure at a reasonable price. here is a thread over at av discussing this particular range

Thank you, man!

Yeah it has the things I need too. Don't care about 3D or 1000Hz tv either, lol.

mr stroke

Very nice! I'm considering redoing my entertainment set up and going with a BDI stand and wall mounting my ZT, as it is currently mounted to a stand with integrated mount. Not sure if you are getting yours professionally calibrated but as I posted in teh owners thread I have some settings you can try if you want.

Even though settings don't really transfer over from display to display you're more then welcome to them. I have a few different ones I have with different calibration techniques I tried. All with the calibration report and the report is solid.

Currently using the pre set THX setting and its pretty amazing right out of the box. I don't know if its worth it spending the $300 to have an ISF calibrator come over.

vivftp

I would like to buy a new panel for the ps4.

Would like to go between vizio, Sony or Samsung. Also 70" +.

Leaning towards Sony

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00AWKBZKC/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Second place vizio for the price and third Samsung because they seem to review well.

Any recommendations?

I have the 50" version of that Sony TV sitting right beside me. Absolutely no problems with it and the image looks great! Active 3D doesn't really work well with my eyes, but the passive 3D from this thing is great! Image quality doesn't give me any reasons to complain. The internet functions look nice and all, but I have my PC hooked up to it as well, so I don't really use them

mr stroke

I would like to buy a new panel for the ps4.

Would like to go between vizio, Sony or Samsung. Also 70" +.

Leaning towards Sony

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00AWKBZKC/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Second place vizio for the price and third Samsung because they seem to review well.

Any recommendations?

I considered the Sony 550 70" sieres and wasn't at all impressed by the picture quality, it seems as if Sony tried to cram a budget screen into a 70" panel and it shows. Very poor viewing angles and color reproduction.

If your looking for a 70"+ I would suggest the Samsung UN75ES9000 if money is no object, it really is the best 70+ screen you can get outside of a massive 100" plasma or 85" 4k TV.

If your on a budget then the Sharp LC-70LE857 is about the best you will get at that size and price range...

Currently using the pre set THX setting and its pretty amazing right out of the box. I don't know if its worth it spending the $300 to have an ISF calibrator come over.

Yeah out of the box it is pretty nice. I saw a greenish hue to THX though. I learned how to ISF calibrate a few years ago because I go through too many displays to always pay someone to come out and calibrate.

Started with a good starter meter and HCFR and as I got better got a nice midrange meter, some licensed software (calman and chromapure) software, control cal, and various patterns and test disc.

Well worth the time and effort if you like tinkering and a calibrated picture

Eiolon

I don't know if this is a good deal or not, but we just got this TV in at my work yesterday and it is AMAZING. Of course, I only have a 42 in Samsung at home that's about 3 years old but the colors are extremely vibrant. The black levels look really nice and I love that it is simple looking (no large bezel and branding).

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CBQNB7K/?tag=neogaf0e-20

The only complaint so far is its very reflective so when watching in bright rooms isn't the best. We dimmed the lights and/or turned them off and it improved a lot.

zoukka

I prefer OLED, even LED tv's over Plasma because plasma tv's have hideous glare, and the screen is too dark, whereas you don't have those problems with either OLED or LED tv's.

Whenever i go to an electronic shop, i can always tell wich ones are the plasmas... the ones with the dark image and crazy ass glare.

Maybe set up the tv at your home better so you don't have to crank up the image too bright while losing any semblence of good image quality. Just sayin.

so guys I have about $1700 to spend on a new tv, obviously gaming is my number one use. Looking for a tv from 55"-65" more then likely going for a 55" or 60" model over a larger 65". Smart tv functions arent important as I will have my xbox one and ps4 for that. 3D isnt a must have either. Although I know a lot of Gaffers love their plasmas, I am not a fan. I work 3rd shift and often find myself falling asleep with the tv on, image retention even though temporary is a pretty big turn off for me. Also the buzzing I have heard from 2 friends that have panny plasmas was irritating though im sure with use you get used to it.

Last summer I bought a 55" LG led lcd from amazon, the first set arrived with a cracked panel but no other issues. The replacement unit had very bad uniformity issues, needless to say I expected much more in $1600 set. Will be wall mounting in a lower level room but a room that typically has a lot of natural lighting.

RedAssedApe

Banned
Nice, very to the point! Is there a brand that's considered mid to high end? I'm seeing for example an Insignia, a brand I've never heard of going for just under 600, whereas a Samsung for the same size going for 1,200. Is that what you meant by the difference in quality?

well there are certain brands that are considered to be better than others but within brands themselves there are usually quality tiers as well. so you'd have to provide the model numbers for anyone to accurately tell you how those two sets might compare and what might account for the big disparity in pricing.

i believe samsung and panasonic are considered to be the best plasmas (not counting the discontinued pioneers) atm.

GlamFM

Banned
Can somebody recommend a good 55-60" Plasma?

I was looking into the Panasonics by they have high latency apparently.

Lima

Can somebody recommend a good 55-60" Plasma?

I was looking into the Panasonics by they have high latency apparently.

They still have the lowest latency of any plasma on the market. Buy a 55/60 VT60 and be happy. 40ms is nothing to worry about if you are not a hardcore(read Evo tourney player) Street Fighter player.

GlamFM

Banned
They still have the lowest latency of any plasma on the market. Buy a 55/60 VT60 and be happy. 40ms is nothing to worry about if you are not a hardcore(read Evo tourney player) Street Fighter player.

Very well. That´s what I will do. Thank you.

iMax

Seriously tempted to get a VT60. Just weighing it up with the DT60 LED. Not sure which side to go down.

Lima

Seriously tempted to get a VT60. Just weighing it up with the DT60 LED. Not sure which side to go down.

If you go LED, go Sony this year. I don't know where you are from (since Sony TV's used to be called differently in US) but Sony W805 and W905 are top notch gaming displays. They look good for being an edge lit LCD and are the fastest TV's on the market with 17 and 19 ms input lag.

GlamFM

Banned
If you go LED, go Sony this year. I don't know where you are from (since Sony TV's used to be called differently in US) but Sony W805 and W905 are top notch gaming displays. They look good for being an edge lit LCD and are the fastest TV's on the market with 17 and 19 ms input lag.

Would you pick one of them over a Panasonic Plasma for gaming or in general?

Lima

Would you pick one of them over a Panasonic Plasma for gaming or in general?

If ALL you do is gaming, yeah. I would pick the Sony 55W905.
You don't have to worry about IR and you get unnoticeable input lag of just a single frame.

Too bad they don't offer a 65" though.

Panasonic S64 50" from Costco is $629. Pretty much impossible to beat PQ for the price. Anti-reflective filter on an S60 panel. 34 ms response time.

Not quite at the VT60 level, but then again its like a quarter of the price.

Top Bottom