• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Plasma, LCD, OLED, LED, best tv for next gen

uzit88

I'm currently playing Last of Us on a LG 32" 1080p TV and that jaggies are so bad! Areas of the game where its dark, its hardly playable :/ Bad/cheap TV? Got it for £250 2 years ago so it maybe a budget model...

taoofjord

I picked up the brand new Sony KDL-55W900A and I'm just loving it. Last I saw it dropped to about $2,200 so it's pretty much the best bet for high-end LEDs right now. The lag is non-existent, too.

I'm so glad I returned the panny plasma for this. I never liked plasma's ABR. it makes some games look like crap and its obnoxious as a computer monitor. And dark scenes look damn good on my new tv.

SGRX

Plasma until OLED is affordable.

The 65" Panasonic S64 is probably the best value overall (thanks to the ST60's input lag being so high). The AR filter makes a noticeable difference in rooms with a lot of ambient light, where the S60 would be like looking into a mirror. I replaced my 4 year old Samsung plasma with a 65VT60 and hope to have it last me until I can pick up a 70"+ OLED for <5K.

I purchased a 60'' GT 50 this past december and i love it, I am ready for this next-gen and i was wondering if i had made a mistake not waiting for this last model they are releasing.

I have 4 HDMI inputs and i found out 2013 model only has 3? Why would they do that?

I had planned to buy it if the picture was really the best thing since Kuro.

I have all 4 inputs occupied and i wonder why they put so few in the TV?? Any ideas?

Great TV though.

Amagon

Does anybody have any recommendation on cleaning a 3D lcd screen. I am using this
VIwsSUQ.jpg

but I am seeing streaks when wiping the screen. :/

amrod

I purchased a 60'' GT 50 this past december and i love it, I am ready for this next-gen and i was wondering if i had made a mistake not waiting for this last model they are releasing.

I have 4 HDMI inputs and i found out 2013 model only has 3? Why would they do that?

I had planned to buy it if the picture was really the best thing since Kuro.

I have all 4 inputs occupied and i wonder why they put so few in the TV?? Any ideas?

Great TV though.

Get a onkyo amp, they got 7 HDMI inputs :)

xJavonta

Banned
Hey guys, I want a new TV and think its time to move on from my 720p set. It's been a godsend this gen, but since next gen is here I should grab a new one. Here's what I want

- 1080p
- 32" (it's staying in my bedroom)
- 4 HDMI inputs (more than that is better but idk if that exists)
- $500 (I can go higher, but please no outrageously priced sets)

If anyone could find me a good set at this price range I'd be eternally grateful. Thanks!

Arlen777

Can someone advise on a good 65 inch tv for gaming with low input lag under $3000?

I have Samsung 55 und8000 in the living room and I never noticed bad input lag, until I started googling it and found out that it has about 40ms input lag in game mode. It got even worse when i started researching and found out that a good gaming TVA are around 20ms input lag

MANGOD

Banned
Only new tv worth having if you are only interested in input lag is the sonys. Panasonics have went up to over 40ms which for a hardcore gamer is to much and whatever you do stay the fuck away from the latest Samsung and lg sets.

SJRB

Gold Member
I've been using a 23" LCD from Samsung for about 7 years now. But last year I moved to a bigger place and now the tv is so far away I can't even read HUD indicators or anything while gaming. So I hardly play console games anymore.

Combined with the upcoming GTAV and of course the new consoles I decided it's time for an upgrade. I've done some research, but it's incredibly hard so find some decent reviews [if any] of most tv's. Also, the sheer amount of tv's is insane, it's impossible to make a solid choice based on anything other than price and size.

Anyway, I'm looking at a Philips 47PFL4007H, a 47" LED tv. It's fucking HUGE but I figured that if I'm going to upgrade I might as well do it good.

I just need some basic pointers as to what I should be looking out for, if any. I mean, with all those different tv's, would it really matter?

Groof

This question might be out of place since this thread is about TVs, but I use my PS3 with my computer monitor and it only supports 720p through HDMI. Are there any suggestions for good PC monitors that support the full 1080p? Would also help for my future PS4.

ACH1LL3US

Can someone advise on a good 65 inch tv for gaming with low input lag under $3000?

I have Samsung 55 und8000 in the living room and I never noticed bad input lag, until I started googling it and found out that it has about 40ms input lag in game mode. It got even worse when i started researching and found out that a good gaming TVA are around 20ms input lag

Thats the difference between 1 and 2 frames of lag basically. I have a Sony hx909 that was claimed at 30 ms input lag vs a crt and i also just picked up a Samsung 55f7100 that has 38ms of input lag with the leo bodner (sp?) test.

I have come to the conclusion that the sony has more input lag then the samsung, the sony with the new testing method would be around 70ms (4 frames). I can tell a difference from two frames (samsung f7100) and 4 frames (sony hx909). I also have a samsung d5000 that is rated at less the. One frame. I cant tell a difference between 1 and 2 frames but can tell a difference between 2 and 4 frames.

If the tv has 2 frames or less of input lag i feel you can fully enjoy the games. At 4 frames its still playable but you feel alittle disconnected , i play stuff like sf3 3rd strike, sf4 and gt5.

I would highly recommend the samsung f7100 series, it has 2 frames of lag and to me the most annoying issue with all flat panel tvs (had pio elite kuros and many other tvs) that had verical banding, the sony hx909 is the worst i have ever seen with this and i am not surprised as it is a sharp panel.

The samsung 55f7100 has NO vertical banding and to me that helps me to get more engrossed in the game bc vertical banding really is a distraction to me.

daxter01

8/8/2010 Blackace was here
Just bought a Samsung PN51E550 plasma tv.is this thing supposed to make some noise from its back or my panel is broken or something?

dropbear

Banned
I know these threads are full of TV advice as is, but if anyone could provide some guidance it would be appreciated. That said, I'm looking for a great 40-inch TV for gaming that isn't plasma (have my own reasons for this preference). I'm fine with LCD or LED but haven't been able to make a decision after considerable research. Budget is flexible, I just want to get the best 40-inch non-plasma gaming TV I can.

Again, thanks in advance for any advice.

I know these threads are full of TV advice as is, but if anyone could provide some guidance it would be appreciated. That said, I'm looking for a great 40-inch TV for gaming that isn't plasma (have my own reasons for this preference). I'm fine with LCD or LED but haven't been able to make a decision after considerable research. Budget is flexible, I just want to get the best 40-inch non-plasma gaming TV I can.

Again, thanks in advance for any advice.

Display Lag rated this TV at 21 ms, which means it'll have about half a frame or less of display lag over a CRT: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BCGRXI8/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Not sure if it's the best choice for you, though. It depends on what your needs are.

jmro

I have a 46 inch Samsung LED LCD, one of those super thin ones. ES6003

The picture bothered me for quite a while until I turned on PC mode, which disabled all the garbage post processing and greatly reduced lag as well.

Anyone with a Samsung LCD, I recommend PC mode. It is sort of hidden, you have to use HDMI 1 and set the input name to PC.

Pretty sure it has less lag than game mode and a better picture too. Works great with PC, 360, PC3 and WiiU

I don't really notice the lag increase from my Asus VH236H monitor for SF4, although I'm sure there is a minor one.

ACH1LL3US

I have a 46 inch Samsung LED LCD, one of those super thin ones. ES6003

The picture bothered me for quite a while until I turned on PC mode, which disabled all the garbage post processing and greatly reduced lag as well.

Anyone with a Samsung LCD, I recommend PC mode. It is sort of hidden, you have to use HDMI 1 and set the input name to PC.

Pretty sure it has less lag than game mode and a better picture too. Works great with PC, 360, PC3 and WiiU

I don't really notice the lag increase from my Asus VH236H monitor for SF4, although I'm sure there is a minor one.

Yes!!! Pc mode is better then game mode on my samsung f7100!! It allows 4:4:4 chroma and has the lowest input lag possible on the tv.

JJD

I'm getting a KDL-55W900A.

This set has one of the shortest input lag registered over the last few years at 8ms.

I'm tired of my Plasmas dying on me.

In 2 years I've had one top of the line Samsung and a 65 inch VT50 dying on me out of nowhere.

Island

So my 42 in Toshiba HDMI ports packed it in (they just jitter like crazy). Component looks fine but need to upgrade for new consoles anyways.

What's a good 55 in gaming (and movie watching tv) for under $1000...

Sounds like plasma might be the way to go.... Though there was nice 3D Led at Costco for 750 that seemed nice...

ACH1LL3US

This set has one of the shortest input lag registered over the last few years at 8ms.

In 2 years I've had one top of the line Samsung and a 65 inch VT50 dying on me out of nowhere.

Let us know how the set is! I cant find a best buy that has it on display.

Halvie

Banned

Mine showed up yesterday. Think you will like it a lot.

dropbear

Banned
Display Lag rated this TV at 21 ms, which means it'll have about half a frame or less of display lag over a CRT: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BCGRXI8/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Not sure if it's the best choice for you, though. It depends on what your needs are.

This seems to be a great fit, though I have one question (I'm not a videophile by any means, so please excuse my ignorance) - should I be aiming for for 120hz for next-gen? The TV you linked is 60hz, and, while I've done a small amount of research, I'm not entirely sure how much of a difference this will make.

Halvie

Banned
Really? Aww man, that's great!

What kind of games you play?

Any word on motion blur? I heard that it is still a minor issue...

Honestly, not much at the moment. More for when the new consoles come out. So far only watched a couple movies and played some dota2, but it feels / looks great to me. Much better than the 3-4 year old Panny plasma it replaced.

This seems to be a great fit, though I have one question (I'm not a videophile by any means, so please excuse my ignorance) - should I be aiming for for 120hz for next-gen? The TV you linked is 60hz, and, while I've done a small amount of research, I'm not entirely sure how much of a difference this will make.

No current tvs can display a 120Hz signal. The 120Hz feature you see advertised is frame interpolation, which is awful for gaming.

Does anyone in here know a thing or two about home theater projectors?

You just need speakers, receiver, a screen or wall (if you're short on cash), and a projector to get started. A good subwoofer is crucial to add too so you can go low and feel it instead of just hear it. Then, there's maintenance over time with the bulbs. You need to be able to control the light otherwise you're going to have to spend more on a projector/screen that can do a decent job in a bright room.

bob page

I just bought a Panasonic TC-P42S60 two weeks ago and ran slides nearly the entire time. It has 34ms of lag (2 frames), and the picture on this TV jaw dropping after a calibration. I got it for 399 from Sears when it was on sale. I cannot recommend this TV enough.

I cannot recommend this TV enough. I'm tempted to cancel my ZT60 order and going ST64 and save 3k in the process, since it's mostly a for gaming and I don't care about 3D.

I got this same model when it was on sale for $399 and it's really one of the best deals I've ever gotten. Picture quality is amazing and blows every LCD I've seen out of the water. My room heats up a bit after it's been on for about a hour, but nothing uncomfortable or anything.

Aske

You just need speakers, receiver, a screen or wall (if you're short on cash), and a projector to get started. A good subwoofer is crucial to add too so you can go low and feel it instead of just hear it. Then, there's maintenance over time with the bulbs. You need to be able to control the light otherwise you're going to have to spend more on a projector/screen that can do a decent job in a bright room.

Is lag typically an issue with projectors? And how do DLP/LCD projectors compare to plasma panels in terms of upscaling? Any specific features I should look out for if I want good gaming performance?

Just wanted to add my 2 cents to the discussion and my feedback on the TC-P50S60 from Samsung.

My price range wasn't in the thousands, I needed the best picture possible for the best price. My research led me to the benefits of plasma sets, specifically Panasonic's excellent black levels and colour representation. On CNET, among the top rated plasma sets of 2013 was the S60 smart TV. Here's the review, http://reviews.cnet.com/2300-33665_7-10016598-3.html.

I went to my local shop and picked one up after extensively reading the reviews, and customer feedback. It was an excellent choice, my old LCD had terrible blacks that looked more grey/navy blue. This has excellent shadow and black and colour representation, on a big 50" screen for an amazing price well within my budget.

I'd easily recommend it to anyone looking for a nicely featured, great performing plasma provided you don't place it in a room bathed in sunlight, as that's where it loses performance with its mirror-like screen.

Top Bottom