• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PLAYERUNKNOWNS BATTLEGROUNDS Early Access Thread: This Is Battle Royale

JDB

Banned
I never understood this mentality. It is literally a last man standing game. I like to run around and stir up shit, but if I'm finding myself in the top 20, I pitch a tent with the best of 'em. Let everyone kill eachother off until its single digits and then its only shoot when I have to, down to the finals.

Bitching about camping in a last man standing game is absurd. Sure a guy like Grimmmz is going to want people to not do that, because he'll win 99% of every gun battle he's in just from skill.
That's streamers for ya. A lot of them complain about anything that isn't people rushing at them.

TheRed

That's streamers for ya. A lot of them complain about anything that isn't people rushing at them.
Yeah I love Grimmmz but every time he bitches about campers or prone slugs I have to tune him out. If he had his way this game would turn into a massive arena shooter. I hope the devs don't focus too much on what streamers say and keep on with the vision they clearly have for the game.

anyone else having sound issues? like if my camera is in the opposite direction of say the plane, i wont hear it at all unless i turn the camera. was never like that before the update.

piratethingy

Self professed bad raider
Also, they fixed something that was really bugging me. When you freelooked around and then snapped back to your fixed 3rd person view, your character would move. It was annoying when you were trying to be stealthy and stay completely still. Great patch.

Best change in an excellent update imo

JDB

Banned
Oh, there aren't even zombie specific attack animations or anything. And people talked about wasted resources lol

Just played my first game. 1 kill and 24# out of 91. Not bad.

It is definitely dropping some frames though, so I'm gonna look where I can change my settings.

Hylian7

This is based on the ArmA engine. I'm not sure if H1Z1 is, too.

If anything this game feels more like an ArmA mod. The way aiming works, the way movement works, etc.

PUBG and H1Z1 are most definitely not on the Arma engine. PUBG feels like it to a degree, but is not.

H1Z1 actually uses the same engine as Planetside 2.

Yeah, but the people he's playing against aren't there to make his stream entertaining.

Yeah, I think Grimmmz is an incredible player but to be honest, I have a hard time watching his stream. Maybe it's because I would tune in first thing in the morning my time, right about when he's wrapping up. He would either die super early game or win but when he died he always blamed it on the player campers. Same thing over and over and over again.

Oddly enough, I can watch Kongphan no problem, who approaches the game similarly and complains about campers as well but he does it with a sense of humor. Grimmmz just complains.

When your reaction time is unrivalled and you have pixel perfect aim, may be challenging everything that moves is a worthwhile strategy but the rest of us have to be a little more selective on how we engage.

I'm not a fan of super passive play, mainly because getting to the top 10 but dying in your first engagement is not satisfying at all for me, but I'm also not going to go on a hunting expedition to fight every player on the server.

Luck was definitely on my side last night. Won a squad match and then a few rounds later won a duos. The game is slowly deteriorating my heart

BearPawB

Banned
Yeah, I think Grimmmz is an incredible player but to be honest, I have a hard time watching his stream.

A lot of PUBG streamers fall into the same trap.

Grimmmz is better than I will ever be. But for me, camping is a valid strat and has won me some games. He might not LIKE it. But that is the game!

He and Ninja play a really agressive style that works really well for them. But that they expect everyone to want to play the same risky playstyle puts me off

Tagyhag

I can see why everyone goes to the school, lots of really good stuff in such a small space, even Pochinki is a crapshoot for loot with the new patch.

It's also a really great area if you just want to get better at firefights and aren't trying to win.

Hasney

I make my own cover

bvh9a5G.gif

I went prone then was instantly killed.

GodofWine

It is definitely dropping some frames though, so I'm gonna look where I can change my settings.

Shadows low, foliage low. AA as low as it goes but not off.

Yeah, but the people he's playing against aren't there to make his stream entertaining.

This. Once Im in the top 20, I become a bush until Im in the top 10. And then its about 50% luck where the circle goes. But top 10 is a stat and if its within easy reach, I take it. I also don't usually drop into busy places, I enjoy the 'try to be the last person' aspect of the game more than the combat.

JDB

Banned
I can see why everyone goes to the school, lots of really good stuff in such a small space, even Pochinki is a crapshoot for loot with the new patch.

It's also a really great area if you just want to get better at firefights and aren't trying to win.
I've never felt like the school was particularly good. Loot isn't amazing, it's a bit annoying to get around and if the plane is anywhere near it half the server lands nearby.

Poppy

5 games in a row spawn beside people who get a shotgun and blow me to bits. Haven't finished outside the top 90 in ages

just drop into nowheresville and camp regardless of what shitty guns you get, then slowly approach circles as the blue zone starts moving in. you wont win but practically guaranteed top 30 everytime!

LordAlu

I've never felt like the school was particularly good. Loot isn't amazing, it's a bit annoying to get around and if the plane is anywhere near it half the server lands nearby.
I agree - the two compounds to the west are generally similar loot wise, plus there's more likelihood of a vehicle so you can drive somewhere. I always find it funny to see like 10+ players heading towards the school and I just drop unopposed into those compounds and tool up.

Podge293

just drop into nowheresville and camp regardless of what shitty guns you get, then slowly approach circles as the blue zone starts moving in. you wont win but practically guaranteed top 30 everytime!

I usually do that. Just the last few games have been so frustrating.

Ah well I'll give it a rest till tomorrow

Bread

Banned
The school is great because there's always guns immediately available on the roof. If you get lucky and land on/near one, you should be able to kill someone. If you get unlucky, you scramble and/or die quickly and do it again! Plus it's even better now post-patch with the great response time on picking up items.

The school is great because there's always guns immediately available on the roof. If you get lucky and land on/near one, you should be able to kill someone. If you get unlucky, you scramble and/or die quickly and do it again! Plus it's even better now post-patch with the great response time on picking up items.

Wheres the school at?

Poppy

I don't get the people who wait outside the circle to kill people with no way of getting to the circle themselves...

i find its easy to get tunnelvision. a lot of the time i find myself holding a location and get distracted and before i know it the blue zone is on my ass and i am basically doomed. in those circumstances you might as well try and get a few more kills

other people i imagine simply think they can survive with boosters and first aid or they just dont care about anything but murder

There is nothing quite like finishing your looting and getting everything you need, and then die because you were in the second story of a building (not near windows) when the red zone hit.

So does custom keybinding not work in the early access? I can't rebind any of my controls, the Apply button doesn't light up and I can't click it :/

Nabs

So does custom keybinding not work in the early access? I can't rebind any of my controls, the Apply button doesn't light up and I can't click it :/

I think everything has to be filled in before it lets you hit apply. Look for any empty keybindings (-).

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Does anyone have a spare GMG code? My kids wanted to get me a game for my birthday, and I literally just discovered this today. Looks like a lot of fun!

Top Bottom