• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PLAYERUNKNOWNS BATTLEGROUNDS Early Access Thread: This Is Battle Royale

baby

I hate the new circle. I feel it's somewhat even more predictable, it just moves in one direction.

It's also very unfair, you're in the white circle, but next one can spawn right on the other side attached to the previous circle, you were on the wrong side! better luck next time.

The solution to the camping thing was easy, make the circle not zone into building areas, make people fight it out in the open. The new one is a mess and comes down to luck way too much.

not too sure thats the change, that used to happen anyway - i think it just meant that its less likely that you get the pochinki circle or the circle around the scrote of the island less often, which used to be like 90% of the rounds in my experience.

i doubt it was a 'solution' to camping as much as adding variety so youre not playing the same round over and over

patapuf

Yeah, i love the new circle, you aren't in the center of the map all the time anymore. Pochinky is a pretty boring part of the map to boot (for lategame).

You just have to watch how much time you have to loot and move early enough. One can always get stuff from the stragglers that come behind you.

I also doubt they want to eliminate camping. It's not like that's possible in this game.

Cc23830

The circle works fine, whats the point of eliminating camping? its part of the game, the adrenaline that pumps around when you can hear a car outside and you are camped behind a door. and I hate campers in other games like COD and battlefield.

Thanks! If you're running a FPS counter, what rates do you see on average spinning the camera around in the open near buildings?

Also, what's a decent price on that? It seems to be $600-700 right now and I'll probably hold off for the immediate future.

I have steam overlay currently off to try to get more performance, but i'll turn it on, or something similar to try to get you that fps reading later today.

Don't get me wrong, it's not running 60fps solid, especially in built up towns, spinning the mouse, yeah there are some drops/stutters at times. But overall it just feels a lot smoother while looking better. Could be just because I bumped the settings and took load off the CPU, I don't know.

Dunno prices, i'm not on $ here.

Alternatively I could have spent similar money (or more) on a complete CPU/MB/RAM upgrade, and kept my old GPU. In hindsight - I think I made the right decision now seeing it run, especially for 1440p. ( http://cpuboss.com/cpus/Intel-Core-i5-6600K-vs-Intel-Core-i5-3570K - same shit really, no?).

Blizzard

Banned
I have steam overlay currently off to try to get more performance, but i'll turn it on, or something similar to try to get you that fps reading later today.

Don't get me wrong, it's not running 60fps solid, especially in built up towns, spinning the mouse, yeah there are some drops/stutters at times. But overall it just feels a lot smoother while looking better. Could be just because I bumped the settings and took load off the CPU, I don't know.

Dunno prices, i'm not on $ here.

Alternatively I could have spent similar money (or more) on a complete CPU/MB/RAM upgrade, and kept my old GPU. In hindsight - I think I made the right decision now seeing it run, especially for 1440p. ( http://cpuboss.com/cpus/Intel-Core-i5-6600K-vs-Intel-Core-i5-3570K - same shit really, no?).
That's ok, you don't have to do too much work to check! Interesting point about the Steam overlay. I wonder if turning it off does give a little performance gain. I'll have to run that way a few games.

The new circle is great, spent the end of a match yesterday in the rocky coast around the sea, lead to a very interesting trade off that my squad unfortunately lost.

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
Only about 2.5 hours played so far I think, had my best rank last night as I made it to #10 (mostly through hiding, though not for a huge lack of trying!) only to discover the hard way that you die from falling if you jump out of a very fast moving car. Shit.

That's ok, you don't have to do too much work to check! Interesting point about the Steam overlay. I wonder if turning it off does give a little performance gain. I'll have to run that way a few games.

I also heard that disabling nvidia shadowplay, and windows xbox DVR (only possible to disable if you download the xbox app on windows store) helps fps a little bit. Could be myth, but since i was baseline CPU, i'm doing all I can.

Rhoc

Sorry, I'm late to the party. How is the performance on a i5 4690 + 970 lately?

You will be fine have the exact same setup. I play everything on low except textures on High. I get 70-110 fps so you can probably turn it up more if you want. For me it looks good enough on my settings

spineduke

Unconfirmed Member
I also heard that disabling nvidia shadowplay, and windows xbox DVR (only possible to disable if you download the xbox app on windows store) helps fps a little bit. Could be myth, but since i was baseline CPU, i'm doing all I can.

It definitely helps if you have a slow HDD, but you won't see much of a difference otherwise.

dk_

You will be fine have the exact same setup. I play everything on low except textures on High. I get 70-110 fps so you can probably turn it up more if you want. For me it looks good enough on my settings

Thanks mate.

Grassy

Did they remove the sunset weather setting from match rotation? Of the 10 or so matches I played yesterday, it didn't crop up once.

I've seen it a few times today. Weirdly though, I haven't had a match with rainy weather since the update on the Oceania server...

Edit: Of course the first match I had after posting this it was raining...

Cc23830

i have found another problem other than it being far too addictive and me being far to rubbish.

my wife is now starting to get angry at the hours im putting in. tried telling her im not an amateur. she is having none of it. :(

Ryde3

Sorry, I'm late to the party. How is the performance on a i5 4690 + 970 lately?

That's what I run with and with a mix of low, medium and ultra textures/draw distance, I get 60-90 fps at 1080p. The performance has really improved.

iosa

i have found another problem other than it being far too addictive and me being far to rubbish.

my wife is now starting to get angry at the hours im putting in. tried telling her im not an amateur. she is having none of it. :(

I don't have this problem as I usually end ud exhausted after a solid game. I legit almost fainted the other day.

Also I don't have a wife.

brentech

It's also the whole point of the game I'd say.
anigif_enhanced-11505-1473798267-6.gif

amanset

The game supposedly favors the person with higher ping. Also, if you're camping inside a door for 10 minutes you're probably bored to tears and alt-tabbed by the time someone opens it. I don't know how people can stay focused for 10-15 minutes looking at a blank wall.

If it is anything like me and my workmates we just chat and have minor panics when anyone hears anything that can remotely be a gunshot.

blacklotus

Übermatik;242476825 said:
Yes, just. Your GPU is going to struggle though, so whack everything on absolute low. Do you have an SSD?

So bought it, all on the lowest setting. Averaging like 25 fps's.

It's a bit shit playing like this, but i'm having fun.

Played two solo matches so far... #15 and #14. Killed some people. #14 match was going good but i died due to inexperience on timing with the deathzone or whatever is called.

Smidget

About 23 left and the circle ended up behind me.

I start crawling in the forest, go to look behind me and a guy with a shotgun, one shot dead. Should have been alt-ing!

This is the scariest horror game I've ever played, although I think it's bullshit that the devs keep spawning in NPCs with shotguns right behind me whenever I go to loot a house.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
What's the absolute cheapest you can get this game? Is it £23 from CDKeys?

Does anyone know if swimming on the water's surface is faster than going underwater? Or are they the same speed? It's really hard to tell.

I died to the blue out in the great blue... don't want that indignity to happen again.
This is the scariest horror game I've ever played, although I think it's bullshit that the devs keep spawning in NPCs with shotguns right behind me whenever I go to loot a house.

It gets worse. Every time you die to that it just encourages them.

Does anyone know if swimming on the water's surface is faster than going underwater? Or are they the same speed? It's really hard to tell.

I died to the blue out in the great blue... don't want that indignity to happen again.

It gets worse. Every time you die to that it just encourages them.

Underwater swimming is significantly faster and safer.

Swig_

My funniest moment so far has been landing right next to someone, fist fighting for a moment, then realizing that there was a crowbar on the ground nearby. I grabbed that and the guy I was fighting started running away. I chased him, both of us nearly naked, for about two minutes, crowbar in hand. Finally, he found a garage with a motorcycle inside and went for it. I was able to knock him on the head a couple of times, securing the kill as he started to drive away. The only thing that would have made that better would have been if it had been a pan instead of a crowbar.

brentech

Well, except when the game forces you to move. Still, come up those stairs, I dare you, haha.
I prefer to be the guy moving than the one standing still waiting. The game kind of favors it because of server desync. Probably win that scenario 70% of the time in my experience.

This is just a recent version of that event;
https://www.twitch.tv/videos/156228608

Don't get me wrong though. When I first got the game in March, I often camped a building and it's an easy top ten, but I never won a game that way. Would rather play the aggressor and be used to firing my weapons on that particular server. Nothing worse then only firing your weapon 25+ min into a game and realizing all your shots are delayed.

I prefer to be the guy moving than the one standing still waiting. The game kind of favors it because of server desync. Probably win that scenario 70% of the time in my experience.

This is just a recent version of that event;
https://www.twitch.tv/videos/156228608

Don't get me wrong though. When I first got the game in March, I often camped a building and it's an easy top ten, but I never won a game that way. Would rather play the aggressor and be used to firing my weapons on that particular server. Nothing worse then only firing your weapon 25+ min into a game and realizing all your shots are delayed.

I'm loath to admit that I've never won a game even after countless top tens, so you're probably right.

SomTervo

My funniest moment so far has been landing right next to someone, fist fighting for a moment, then realizing that there was a crowbar on the ground nearby. I grabbed that and the guy I was fighting started running away. I chased him, both of us nearly naked, for about two minutes, crowbar in hand. Finally, he found a garage with a motorcycle inside and went for it. I was able to knock him on the head a couple of times, securing the kill as he started to drive away. The only thing that would have made that better would have been if it had been a pan instead of a crowbar.

I had a very nightmarish un-funny version of this last week, where me and one other person landed in a town, he got lucky with a rifle in a warehouse immediately, and we had this horrific Terminator-style chase sequence where I was sprinting away from him for about five full minutes; around gardens, through houses, through garages, between shipping containers, etc – eventually I got into a big house, ran upstairs to hopefully secure a gun, blood pumping, and took a full shotty blast in the back.

No idea where or how he got that shotgun while still chasing me.

My favourite moments in the game are stealing someone's car while they're looting a building. It's too good.
I had a very nightmarish un-funny version of this last week, where me and one other person landed in a town, he got lucky with a rifle in a warehouse immediately, and we had this horrific Terminator-style chase sequence where I was sprinting away from him for about five full minutes; around gardens, through houses, through garages, between shipping containers, etc – eventually I got into a big house, ran upstairs to hopefully secure a gun, blood pumping, and took a full shotty blast in the back.

No idea where or how he got that shotgun while still chasing me.

Lmao, amazing.

As an aside, it's remarkable how many people try to drag out firefights when they're outside of the circle. I guess it's a lapse in judgement, which I've had myself. Because even if you do kill the person, you're dooming yourself to an azure grave.

Najaf

People complaining about camping in this game I think are playing the wrong genre. It's a last man standing game, not some arena shooter. If the best strategy to win for your style is to hide in a closet with a shotgun, knock yourself out.

The funny thing is that I see people complaining about camping when they are on the receiving end, but they throw those complaints out the window when it suits them to hold tight. Have you ever ambushed the bridge knowing people were needing to come from military? Camping... The circle drops on to a single rock or tree you position yourself on in an empty field and the last guys are forced to move to you and your hard cover? Camping...

I don't care if you hide the whole match and fire one shot to kill the last player from the same house you have been sitting in the whole game (circle prevents this), good on you. Enjoy your chicken.

Swig_

I'm loath to admit that I've never won a game even after countless top tens, so you're probably right.

I think the key is a combination of both. Being motionless and stealthy when you need to be and being aggressive when the time comes. My first solo win was like this. I was stealthy for most of the game, made a good decision in advance about where to camp when the circle became very small and was aggressive enough to kill the final two people when I needed to be aggressive. If you're too aggressive and move too much, you're easily seen and draw far too much attention to yourself.

Swig_

My favourite moments in the game are stealing someone's car while they're looting a building. It's too good.

This is one of my favorite things, too. I was in a squad game and we came up on a squad camping the second story of a house. They had a Jeep outside. We tossed some grenades and shot some covering fire while one of us took the Jeep and picked us up. I'm pretty sure they died outside of the ring, because it was quite a distance. We were frantically looking for a vehicle when we came up on that house.

rugioh

Banned
Is it just me or have the crate towns (George/Novo) been awful after the loot normalization? Doesn't feel worth it at all to drop there and scrap when the warehouses rarely have rifles in them anymore.

Ac30

Man, this game gives you such a rush. I tried to clean a smudge on my screen mid game, forgot it was a touch screen and I blasted off a round. Some dude heard it, starting trying to pick me off, and I domed him with a sweet 180• spin.

Needless to say, I need to disable my touchscreen.

Protein

Banned
Had one of those nightmarish 'Terminator scenarios' too. Same motorcycle guy chased me across the map in his vehicle for a long-ass time. He even killed another guy in the process, but he never stopped hunting me.

Only managed to get the last two minutes.

https://streamable.com/y6sqf

JDB

Banned
Is it just me or have the crate towns (George/Novo) been awful after the loot normalization? Doesn't feel worth it at all to drop there and scrap when the warehouses rarely have rifles in them anymore.
The one in Georgopol has never been worth it. The Novo one has still been good for me since the update, though.

Jebusman

Banned
I can't count the amount of times I've died (and killed people) trying to get into the Decia and accidentally getting into the passenger seat.

I feel like I never did this that often before. Did the interaction hitboxes change on the vehicles?

Hah, got my first win! Duo, my partner died, circle went down to a little wheat field. Let the last 10 pick eachother off then just let off a couple frags as a distraction and one landed on the last guy! Going prone really saved my ass.

brentech

Warehouses can be hit or miss, but there is always stuff on top of the crates.

Tagyhag

I've never had the terminator moment done to me, but I did chase someone with a frying pan for like 5 minutes. Eventually they decided to get in a building with a dude who had guns so that person could kill us both.

They ended up dying to that third person and I whacked that third guy with my frying pan while he was busy killing my original prey to steal his stuff lol.

Top Bottom