• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Network Thread | June 2015

RK128

For me it's less about the actual games, or how the specific announcements were done, but more about what Square-Enix said. It really feels like the "good old days" are coming back and many people definitely feel the same. There is a bigger support for and faith in these projects from the relevant parties now than in a looong time.

After years and years of everyone totally ignoring that part of the audience, taking absolutely zero risks and many japanese developers comletely changing or disappearing, it now seems like so many of them are coming back! Even if you personally don't care for it at all, you have to be able to see, objectively, why this would be such a huge thing for people. Can we just be happy for video games as a whole for this week at least?

I guess people are preparing themselves for waiting a very long time for these newly announced games I suppose :l. While it is amazing to have the three 'Dream' games being announce back to back to back, they took a very long time to become a reality and the other two 'Dream' games of FFXV and KH3 are taking a while to make (though FFXV should release sometime next year hopefully, with KH3 not long after :)). Point is, these games take a while to make and people are being cynical to prepare for the long wait for these tittles.

But, I don't think they will be taking that long to become a final product. Going through everything, we have the following:
-FFXV re-started development around 2012 and as of right now, the game is 60-70% complete with a demo in the hands of gamers on PS4 and X1. Many expect this to come out sometime next year.
-KH3 got announced in 2013, with two gameplay demos being shown off across both TGS 2013 and this years E3. Between switching to UE4 and having a team with singular focus (no more remasters or ports), the game should be on track for a release sometime either late 2016 or early 2017 :D.
-Last Guardian is fully explained; the game got moved to the PS4 due to hardware constraints in the PS3 build and after completion of Puppeteer, Gravity Rush, Rain and Knack, Studio Japan got back into focusing development on the project and if Sony is correct, the game will come out 2016.
-Shenmue 3 just got announced and after getting fully funded from both Kickstarter at 2 million and Sony stating that they will be funding the rest of the game, the development can fully start now. The Kickstarter states it will be 'delivered' in 2017 but it would be safe to assume that it will be coming in 2018.
-FFVII Remake has been in the works for at least a year if rumors are correct, so development of the project has some progress done on it. I believe this will come to us a lot faster then we are expecting; this is a HUGE game for not just Square Enix but to Sony as well; both parties will be very aggressive in getting the game out the door as fast as they can in a big push in reviving the PS4 in Japan. I expect this to launch in 2017 after KH3 comes out and it to have a demo shown off at TGS this year :).

Those 'dream' games are real and have firm roots in reality. They are coming and they will be a lot sooner then we are all expecting. Its fantastic to be a gamer this week, as hope is back man :D!

Ponn

Banned
Yeah, absolutely, and those who were chatting with me during the conferences will testify to the fact that I was pretty positive about the whole thing. I'm not saying "don't be excited about these things", I'm saying that I am not excited, and I think I have some damn good reasons not to be excited. If you disagree, that's totally up to you.

As far as SE's conference, I actually agree that their show was interesting and -- as you said -- reminiscent of a time when JRPGs were less niche. I have been very pumped about SE's new JRPG initiatives since they were announced, but that doesn't change the fact that I don't have total faith in their ability to actually produce.

To reiterate: I'm largely happy with E3. I am largely happy with the upcoming JRPGs. I am not happy with the 'megaton' games at the sony conference, nor am I excited by NieR because -- frankly -- I have never played the first and impressions do not seem to coincide with games that I typically enjoy.

I outlined my reasons pretty explicitly, so I'm assuming you're not talking about me.

Ok. So why not say this in the Sony conference thread and instead pitch a fit when people in the playstation community thread disagree with you? Whar do you want?

Ok. So why not say this in the Sony conference thread and instead pitch a fit when people in the playstation community thread disagree with you? Whar do you want?

I'm not pitching a fit. I'm rather blunt but I don't think anything I said comes off as pitching a fit.

Are you also going to complain about every other post that relates to the conferences? Literally every thread I follow outside of retroGAF is discussing the conferences. This started because me and someone else disagreed about how much excitement we think is appropriate for given announcements, and that's always what it has been.

I want to have interesting discussions and to listen to other peoples' opinions as well as share my own. Same thing I've wanted since I started browsing this thread a year ago. I don't think that's out of line.

**Not to mention we were talking about the Sony conference in a Playstation community thread.

These are all true sayings though, and he isn't saying the Vita is dead. I don't get why people are so upset?

What irritates me is that he's still rabbiting on about AAA. I don't even really get what a handheld AAA game is. Killzone & Uncharted were, but what else really? Was Gravity Rush? Tearaway? Sly 4? Oreshika 2? Hot Shots Golf? Porting PlayStation All-Stars? Porting God of War Collection? Porting Borderlands 2?

Because in there you've got a vast range of games with a vast range of budgets. They're not all AAA. And I can understand why Sony doesn't want to sink a massive load of money into something like Uncharted or Killzone again, beacuse those are series that use spectacle and budget a lot anyway which is less appropriate on a handheld.

But whenever Yoshida talks about games, in the past few years it's always been AAA or indie. And it never used to be like that - in 2012 they had a lot of mid-range stuff in the pipes like Puppeteer and Sly 4.

I can understand why they wouldn't want to make loads of stuff like that for Vita, because like it or not, the platform is a failure. But to have indie as the lowest bar of stuff you want to make for Vita is pretty disappointing (aside from having some cheap European studios make some cheap kid-friendly games).

At least Gio Corsi's team seem to be working somewhat independently of Yoshida's nonsense, Borderlands 2 then Resi Revelations 2 is more the level I was hoping they'd be able to support it.

And aside from all that, I'm getting a little tired of Yoshida reminding us every year that Sony aren't developing for Vita anymore.

Greddleok

You're really not going to find them much cheaper than that. Even the 32GB cards typically retail for £40-50 so expecting a 64GB for less than that isn't going to happen really, especially when any 64GBs are imports as they're not officially available here which just invites seller markups.

I ordered my last one from Nippon Yasan and they're at ~£49 atm but then you have shipping on top of that.

Bleh, that sucks. It's a lot of money to drop on something really boring.

Tizoc

Just got DmC DE (PS4) for $7.50 after trading in a few games =3

Pre-ordered DMC4SE Asia PS4 ver. off Play-asia just now too

Grabbing $100 PSN cash code to renew my ps plus sub and get Skullgirls 2nd Encore for Vita+PS4 (PS3 ver. is not crossbuy but they deserve it IMO ;P)

AsfaeksBR

Not much for me in this sale, only got Hotline Miami.
If there's a flash sale on friday, then maybe I'll do the $100+$15 thingy.

Tomorrow, if everything goes as planned, will start Chrono Trigger. Never played it before.
Then, if I like it, maybe I'll get FF Tactics or FF VI.

And does FF VII runs well on the Vita?

Ohnonono

Not much for me in this sale, only got Hotline Miami.
If there's a flash sale on friday, then maybe I'll do the $100+$15 thingy.

Tomorrow, if everything goes as planned, will start Chrono Trigger. Never played it before.
Then, if I like it, maybe I'll get FF Tactics or FF VI.

And does FF VII runs well on the Vita?

FFVII runs great.

Sondar

Ooh!

VitaLounge2_zpspt2otdlq.jpg

kafiend

Bleh, that sucks. It's a lot of money to drop on something really boring.

Yeah boring, so boring in fact that you forget everything that pissed you off about tiny memory cards very quickly. You forget about game shuffling between devices, you forget about worrying about file sizes and decisions about what beloved game to delete next.

In fact the only time it ever becomes not boring is when you see a post complaining about tiny memory cards and remember that your own 64gb card is fucking epic :)

eFKac

What irritates me is that he's still rabbiting on about AAA. I don't even really get what a handheld AAA game is. Killzone & Uncharted were, but what else really? Was Gravity Rush? Tearaway? Sly 4? Oreshika 2? Hot Shots Golf? Porting PlayStation All-Stars? Porting God of War Collection? Porting Borderlands 2?

Because in there you've got a vast range of games with a vast range of budgets. They're not all AAA. And I can understand why Sony doesn't want to sink a massive load of money into something like Uncharted or Killzone again, beacuse those are series that use spectacle and budget a lot anyway which is less appropriate on a handheld.

But whenever Yoshida talks about games, in the past few years it's always been AAA or indie. And it never used to be like that - in 2012 they had a lot of mid-range stuff in the pipes like Puppeteer and Sly 4.

I can understand why they wouldn't want to make loads of stuff like that for Vita, because like it or not, the platform is a failure. But to have indie as the lowest bar of stuff you want to make for Vita is pretty disappointing (aside from having some cheap European studios make some cheap kid-friendly games).

At least Gio Corsi's team seem to be working somewhat independently of Yoshida's nonsense, Borderlands 2 then Resi Revelations 2 is more the level I was hoping they'd be able to support it.

And aside from all that, I'm getting a little tired of Yoshida reminding us every year that Sony aren't developing for Vita anymore.

I wouldn't hold all of that against Yoshida.

I'm sure SCE execs would love to forget Vita ever happened and stop talking about it entirely, but when Yoshida is asked about the Vita what is he supposed to say? You're a reasonable guy Kres so you acknowledge why Sony is not developing on the Vita, so all he can say is no comment or, no we're not developing AAA titles for the Vita anymore we're commited to supporting the platform with indie software.

And I would focus also on actions not only words. While he doesn't talk about the mid tier development per se, Sony has quite a few of those games in the pipeline:
- Everybody's Gone to the Rapture
- Teraway Unfolded
- Ratchet and Clank (it's a toss up between AA and AAA for me)
- Rime
- Wild
- The Tomorrow's Children
- Drawn to Death
- Rigs for Morpheus

They're just not on the Vita, but the PS4, the difference between them and a lot of the games from 2012 is that a lot of current games don't see retail releases, but the marketplace is rapidly changing and digital is more viable than ever.
I think those games fit the mid tier criteria, I wouldn't call them indie in the traditional sense of the word, nor AAA definitely.

And I'm glad those games are happening, the market is getting divided to the extreme indie/AAA distinction for the most part, with just a few smaller publishers investing in the mid tier games (and I guess Nintendo but I'm no expert on that), and I like those AA games.

SerTapTap

Is Oneechanbara (import) supposed to be good? I guess I could ask for a review copy. I like Senran Kagura and don't mind fan service but I've heard much less positive things about this series than SK, at least for prior games

Chipotle

EU store has updated for me. Don't see anything about an E3 sale but the update might not be finished and I'm on mobile so might have missed it.

I wouldn't hold all of that against Yoshida.

I'm sure SCE execs would love to forget Vita ever happened and stop talking about it entirely, but when Yoshida is asked about the Vita what is he supposed to say? You're a reasonable guy Kres so you acknowledge why Sony is not developing on the Vita, so all he can say is no comment or, no we're not developing AAA titles for the Vita anymore we're commited to supporting the platform with indie software.

Ha, hello.

I suppose Yoshida does have to acknowledge it in some way, but it's been constant since 2013 that he's been saying "no more AAA on Vita", followed by "but you can have indies and remote play", just gets a little tiring.

He gets asked about it every year. Maybe just try another couple of non-AAA-non-indie games. I'm sure it doesn't cost that much to pay Sanzaru to port another couple of HD Collections.

And I'm glad those games are happening, the market is getting divided to the extreme indie/AAA distinction for the most part, with just a few smaller publishers investing in the mid tier games (and I guess Nintendo but I'm no expert on that), and I like those AA games.

I kinda feel like Sony still feels like those games are indie - aside from Tearaway, which is just a relic of the old way of thinking that they're porting around for whatever reason, and Ratchet which is being pushed towards the production values of an AAA game (and is having a bigger marketing push with the film, clearly). Morpheus is a whole other kettle of fish.

Meh. I don't expect anything from Sony for Vita anymore, especially not at E3, but still.

Tapejara

What do you guys think the chances are for Taiko no Tatsujin V to get localized? I have a copy pre-ordered, but I'm thinking of cancelling it. I think Namco's the publisher, so it could go both ways.

maouvin

What do you guys think the chances are for Taiko no Tatsujin V to get localized? I have a copy pre-ordered, but I'm thinking of cancelling it. I think Namco's the publisher, so it could go both ways.

We only got one entry localized ever, and most of the songs were scraped out, so... none. Zilch. Nenhuma.
And if something comes over, I'd bet a 3DS release would make it before the Vita one.

Takao

Banned

Next to 0 percent of that being released in North America and Europe. Only one Taiko game has hit those markets and that was 10 years ago on PS2 with a significantly different track list.

The game is getting localized into Chinese, so an English release in Asia isn't entirely impossible, I guess.

Tapejara

We only got one entry localized ever, and most of the songs were scraped out, so... none. Zilch. Nenhuma.
And if something comes over, I'd bet a 3DS release would make it before the Vita one.

Next to 0 percent of that being released in North America and Europe. Only one Taiko game has hit those markets and that was 10 years ago on PS2 with a significantly different track list.

The game is getting localized into Chinese, so an English release in Asia isn't entirely impossible, I guess.

Alright, thanks for the info, guys. Might just hold off and see if an English Asia release happens.

Shizuka

God damn it Sony. Seriously, what the eff.

Edit: Shizuka is there any way to get this and the extra memory for the Vita information out to other news sources beside Vita Lounge and Had? Perhaps if more outlets reported on this Sony will say something OR at least more studios will get this information and continue to support the Vita.

I'm afraid I can't share that info I have, since it was an informal conversation and I don't want to see this publisher harassed by people, even if they have the best intentions. Regarding the extra memory, that info is old and any publisher that wanted to share that has already done it by now.

Salz01

Anybody have any issues preordering games on the store? It let me preorder batman but keeps throwing an error on everything else. US PSN store.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Anybody have any issues preordering games on the store? It let me preorder batman but keeps throwing an error on everything else. US PSN store.

If it's a day ending in Y then the PSN store is probably having intermittent problems. Just try again later.

Tapejara

uhhh why is Corpse party almost $90 on Amazon :S

http://www.amazon.ca/dp/B00YMIQTII/

Is it because Canada? Or what? This is too rich for my blood guys. Guess I won't be going physical anymore.

I think this is a pricing error. Best Buy Canada has it for $59.99 http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product...spx?path=a895648f8314d286aa20541e0af40190en02

Still ridiculous, but this is becoming the norm for Vita games up here (See Persona 4: DAN and World of Final Fantasy).

Man God

Non-Canon Member
30 extra, even in Canadian funny money, for a soundtrack and artbook is ridiculous, unless that soundtrack is complete/near complete or the artbook extensive.

It comes with a soundtrack and artbook. Hardly "ridiculous".

The Witcher came with a bunch of stuff too for my home console, free DLC weekly and 100s of hours of play and only cost me $69. This is what I mean when I say it's too rich for my blood. I don't mind paying $80 if it's something that I love, but goddamn as much as I love Corpse Party I definitely don't see it as something that is worth that price, no offence to any of the fans or even XSeed.

Ventara

It comes with a soundtrack and artbook. Hardly "ridiculous".

For $45 above what a Vita game would normally cost? It's ridiculous. Even if you factor in the conversion, it's clearly overpriced.

I suspect this is a mistake on Amazon's part, though. XSEED is pretty good about pricing their games.

Edit: And like I said, most Vita games are hitting the $59.99 price point up here due to the exchange rate.

More like $50. Very few games are $60, and I think the ones that are are Atlus published games.

Tapejara

For $45 above what a Vita game would normally cost? It's ridiculous. Even if you factor in the conversion, it's clearly overpriced.

I suspect this is a mistake on Amazon's part, though. XSEED is pretty good about pricing their games.

More like $50. Very few games are $60, and I think the ones that are are Atlus published games.

Yeah true, many more are hovering around $50. (Which I'm still going to use the word ridiculous for lol).

Tapejara

What? The game is not $90. You can buy it on VGP for 60 CAD, which is 50 USD. That's the price I was referring to.
Ever other game is either 45 or 50 CAD, unless it's ATLUS

https://www.videogamesplus.ca/pre-orders-vita-c-370_588.html

Yeah, my problem is the $10 difference (which I'm not blaming XSEED for, I love them, and I don't expect them to lose money). Ridiculous was a bit hyperbolic, but when I made that statement I was thinking the game was $39.99 in the States, compared to $59.99 up here.

I'm assuming this is also in response to my post?

Edit, never mind, I see this was more directed at Ventara and names, but I still felt like clarifying myself lol.

Yeah, my problem is the $10 difference (which I'm not blaming XSEED for, I love them, and I don't expect them to lose money). Ridiculous was a bit hyperbolic, but when I made that statement I was thinking the game was $39.99 in the States, compared to $59.99 up here.

I'm assuming this is also in response to my post?

It's in response to all three posts that quoted and misunderstood me. The $10 difference (which is no difference at all) is due to your weak currency. Blame your government.

Tapejara

It's in response to all three posts that quoted and misunderstood me. The $10 difference (which is no difference at all) is due to your weak currency. Blame your government.

I do. Like I said, I don't blame XSEED at all, just venting my frustration at the weak dollar.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
Hey guys, was Digimon Cyber Sleuth ever announce a localization? Because a PS4 listing for it just showed up on Amazon.ca
If the (new)ps4 version will be the only one being localized(like i feared but never said to avoid giving bad ideas to bamco) then there must be a riot!

Ventara

If the (new)ps4 version will be the only one being localized(like i feared but never said to avoid giving bad ideas to bamco) then there must be a riot!

If that is the case, I definitely will be upset. It'll be Type-0 all over again.

Vita fans beg for game > it gets announced.... for another console

Top Bottom