• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Network Thread | September 2015

I have been blind for so long even though some of you here have been preaching this from the top of your lounges for a very long time.

It all started whith how much I enjoyed watching the demo of exist archive that they showed yesterday.

Reading in comments on different blog articles how fans of the valkyria series was saying how similar exist archive looked I had to look it up (valkyrie profiles 2)and they sure wasn't wrong. I was really impressed with how beautiful it was, but the game was very blurry (being an old PS2 game).

I then remembered how rumors of PS4 getting PS2 clasics have started to circulate the last couple of weeks and decided to see if I could find any footage from the game being played in an emulator on PC and my god does the game look better in higher resolution. The next game I had to see was Final Fantasy XII and now I can't stop thinking of all the great PS2 games that I haven't played in a long time or that I missed completely at the time.

All this time when people have been talking about how great it would be to be able to play all their favorite PS2 games on their PS4 I haven't been thinking of the possibility for them to make the emulator let us play all the games in a higher resolution and framerate.

Whith all this new knowledge I also don't understand why they kept the resolution and framerate of PSX and PSP games for the Vita, it should be able to play them at higher quality than the original, right?

I have also lived with the illusion that games are getting more beautiful and smarter/more complex, but when I look back at older PSX/PS2 games I realize that the handheld and smartphone revolution have made me not realize that I in some ways are living in a games dystopia.

Rarely did a game lack textures on the PS2 and PSX era, but today we live in a time where only using colours is considered an artstyle.

TOTPR: Hope for the PS2 on PS4 and Xcom on vita rumors to be true, look forward to games like exist archive, Liege, world end eclipse and give games like Natural Doctrine, Frozen Synapse:prime, oreshika and Tokyo twilight ghost hunters a try.

RK128

I have been blind for so long even though some of you here have been preaching this from the top of your lounges for a very long time.

It all started whith how much I enjoyed watching the demo of exist archive that they showed yesterday.

Reading in comments on different blog articles how fans of the valkyria series was saying how similar exist archive looked I had to look it up (valkyrie profiles 2)and they sure wasn't wrong. I was really impressed with how beautiful it was, but the game was very blurry (being an old PS2 game).

I then remembered how rumors of PS4 getting PS2 clasics have started to circulate the last couple of weeks and decided to see if I could find any footage from the game being played in an emulator on PC and my god does the game look better in higher resolution. The next game I had to see was Final Fantasy XII and now I can't stop thinking of all the great PS2 games that I haven't played in a long time or that I missed completely at the time.

All this time when people have been talking about how great it would be to be able to play all their favorite PS2 games on their PS4 I haven't been thinking of the possibility for them to make the emulator let us play all the games in a higher resolution and framerate.

Whith all this new knowledge I also don't understand why they kept the resolution and framerate of PSX and PSP games for the Vita, it should be able to play them at higher quality than the original, right?

I have also lived with the illusion that games are getting more beautiful and smarter/more complex, but when I look back at older PSX/PS2 games I realize that the handheld and smartphone revolution have made me not realize that I in some ways are living in a games dystopia.

Rarely did a game lack textures on the PS2 and PSX era, but today only using colours is considered an artstyle.

Regarding the PS1 and PSP classics on Vita, they are using using the PSP OS for those; the PS1 classics are being emulated using a PSP emulator built inside the Vita OS.

So, it isn't really going to use the extra power of the Vita due to ensuring stable performance of the PSP emulator; any extra features not currently in the menu options might make the games have lower frame rates or even crash.

PS4 emulation though, expect that to play with the higher horsepower of the PS4. They can't thrown the PS2 Classics from PS3 on PS4 and call it a day; they need to make a new emulator that ensure games upscale to 720p/1080p alongside working with the PS4 OS (so remote play, streaming, ect work on the classics.

That could be why we haven't got PS2 Classics on PS4 for so long already; they are making a new emulator from scratch and with recent rumors of a number of first party PS2 Classics coming to PS4 (Ape Escape 2, Dark Cloud 2, Twisted Metal Black) alongside the PS2 Star Wars games coming to PS4 this fall....PS2 emulation is coming :).

Saphirax

Rarely did a game lack textures on the PS2 and PSX era, but today we live in a time where only using colours is considered an artstyle.

I hope Sony managed to work out how to include trophies with ps1/ps2 games (and psp pls) and puts more ps1/ps2 classics on the store. Would love to replay some of those games, but don't really have any incentive currently :p.

RK128

I hope Sony managed to work out how to include trophies with ps1/ps2 games (and psp pls) and puts more ps1/ps2 classics on the store. Would love to replay some of those games, but don't really have any incentive currently :p.

I don't know about trophies, but I can easily see more classics coming out more frequently if the emulator is top-quality; that made the PS2 Classics process a lot more slower due to the emulator not being perfect (preventing a lot of games landing on the platform).

Also bolds well that a number of big first party games are being the first wave of PS2 Classics on PS4; Ape Escape 2, Dark Could 2 and Twisted Metal Black are big games, so hopefully that pushes other PS2 games coming to PS4 (Parappa the Rapper 2, Amplitude, ect).

RK128

TGS has been spectacular so far, I've gotten everything I wanted and a lot more

A lot seems to be coming and its nice a healthy amount of that is coming to Vita :).

Hopefully when stuff comes over it get localized for Vita in the west but I'm not holding my breath about anything.

If this TGS told me anything, is that my decision to pick up a PS4 this fall/early 2016 will be rewarded with a lot of great JP games from third parties, so I am looking forward to games like KH2.8 :D.

I might even get over GR2 not coming to Vita by the time I get a PS4...though I don't expect that :l.

I am really excited about hearing more about the Neptuina games for next year; both Vita spin-offs are titles I am excited for :D! Sega Hard Girls Vs. Neptuina might was well be another ReBirth game from the looks of it, so very excited to see gameplay of it :).

TGS has been spectacular so far, I've gotten everything I wanted and a lot more

If you understand japanese and saw the world end eclipse demo I'd love to hear about the systems in that game. How does the town building mechanics work, are there micro transactions (the yellow plus button at the top) in the game, how does items work, are there a skills progression system in the game?

RK128

I'm so glad I didn't stay up for the Atlus TGS stream, that was a big pile of nothing.

The only thing announced was the new release date for Persona 5, the theme song with vocals and the new trailer, right?

If so....that is disappointing but at least we know when the game is coming out now instead of a blank '2015' year drop; early 2016 should be when the game launches (worldwide hopefully) now.

Saphirax

The only thing announced was the new release date for Persona 5, the theme song with vocals and the new trailer, right?

If so....that is disappointing but at least we know when the game is coming out now instead of a blank '2015' year drop; early 2016 should be when the game launches (worldwide hopefully) now.

They announced an anime as well, I believe.

And worldwide is doubtful. Maybe Fall for US and definitely 2017 for EU (lol).

RK128

They announced an anime as well, I believe.

And worldwide is doubtful. Maybe Fall for US and definitely 2017 for EU (lol).

The game can't be THAT far off; they originally were going to launch it 2015.

My bet is this:
-Early 2016: JP release
-Mid-Summer 2016 (after E3 2016): US Release
-Late Summer 2016 (before Sept.): EU Release

They don't want to be over-shadowed by FFXV and KH 2.8 (if the former comes out at all next year), so it would be wise to launch it before the other JRPGs come out.

Persona is huge and will be a hit regardless, but to make the most out of everything, it would be best to launch the game before other JP publisher release their big JRPGs on PS4 next year.

Saphirax

The game can't be THAT far off; they originally were going to launch it 2015.

My bet is this:
-Early 2016: JP release
-Mid-Summer 2016 (after E3 2016): US Release
-Late Summer 2016 (before Sept.): EU Release

They don't want to be over-shadowed by FFXV and KH 2.8 (if the former comes out at all next year), so it would be wise to launch it before the other JRPGs come out.

Persona is huge and will be a hit regardless, but to make the most out of everything, it would be best to launch the game before other JP publisher release their big JRPGs on PS4 next year.

Summer 2016 is the release date for Japan. FFXV will most likely be a late 2016 release.

autoduelist

I don't know about trophies, but I can easily see more classics coming out more frequently if the emulator is top-quality; that made the PS2 Classics process a lot more slower due to the emulator not being perfect (preventing a lot of games landing on the platform).

Also bolds well that a number of big first party games are being the first wave of PS2 Classics on PS4; Ape Escape 2, Dark Could 2 and Twisted Metal Black are big games, so hopefully that pushes other PS2 games coming to PS4 (Parappa the Rapper 2, Amplitude, ect).

I think it's going to be at PSX. I hope it is, so we can finally put the 'PSNow means we'll never be able to buy classic games again' crowd on mute.

I wonder at trophies. i know they patented a way to implement trophies, but at the same time, putting hooks into each game for well designed trophies (vs something simply like 'bronze for playing! gold for winning!') would be an intensive process. Someone would need to figure out what and which, then implement, then QA...

If they tried to do that, I think trophies would need to roll out over time... which might be a nightmare, since you already have an odd set of classics available/being released, and now some having trophies, some not would add even more wrinkles.

Shizuka

Okay, so the US Release will be late summer while the EU release will be October/November....

No, Sonic. August 2016 for Japan. Holidays 2016 for NA. 2017 for EU. I'd rather be called pessimist than dig that "Winter 2014" image for the first release window Atlus shared.

RK128

No, Sonic. August 2016 for Japan. Holidays 2016 for NA. 2017 for EU. I'd rather be called pessimist than dig that "Winter 2014" image for the first release window Atlus shared.

I guess the game will come out whenever it comes then :l.

Vanethyr

Is psn down? Can't play online or access the ps store.

I'm struggling to get on too. Trying to access the store just took me to a blank blue page at first, but I'm now getting a message saying the PSN is undergoing maintenance.

Edit: Looks like I can get onto the store now, Destiny's still a no-go though.

Edit Edit: Everything seems to be back up and running again!

Yasumi

Banned
Ban finally over. TGS was awesome, so much good stuff. Looking forward to P4D coming out in a little over a week.

Went onto the PSN store tonight to buy the DriveClub bundle and Sony keeps giving me an "unable to process order" error. I go to my account and try to manually add funds using my saved credit card (which I've used to buy all my PS4 content so far) and it says my credit card info is invalid, which it obviously isn't. Googling I see this is a longstanding problem, with no clear fix. Ahhh...

Soo... after 2 days of trying to purchase the Driveclub bundle, I finally got a chance to call up PlayStation support. After a bunch of jazz hands I was told the server had been acting up, and because I tried several attempts to purchase during that time, my account has been locked out for 72 hours. I was also told that "for security reasons" no one at Sony could unlock my account, and that I should purchase a PlayStation Card if I want to purchase right away. This is one of the most anti-customer policies I've ever had to deal with – punishing customers because your servers aren't stable. So then I asked to speak with a manager. Manager does some verbal jazz hands about it's the "system not us", and when I say that I'm in shock that there's threads on this subject going back years and it hasn't been addressed, he hung up on me. Literally hung up.

This is actually the first time I've had to deal with Sony support since the first PlayStation, and I'm just sort of shocked at the incompetence and unprofessionalism.

autoduelist

Soo... after 2 days of trying to purchase the Driveclub bundle, I finally got a chance to call up PlayStation support. After a bunch of jazz hands I was told the server had been acting up, and because I tried several attempts to purchase during that time, my account has been locked out for 72 hours. I was also told that "for security reasons" no one at Sony could unlock my account, and that I should purchase a PlayStation Card if I want to purchase right away. This is one of the most anti-customer policies I've ever had to deal with – punishing customers because your servers aren't stable. So then I asked to speak with a manager. Manager does some verbal jazz hands about it's the "system not us", and when I say that I'm in shock that there's threads on this subject going back years and it hasn't been addressed, he hung up on me. Literally hung up.

This is actually the first time I've had to deal with Sony support since the first PlayStation, and I'm just sort of shocked at the incompetence and unprofessionalism.

It's not really anti-consumer at all -- you're just the victim of a rare set of circumstances. It's certainly not incompetence or unprofessionalism.

You set off fraud protection software (most likely third party, just like nearly everyone else) and it locked down your account in case it was hijacked. They are prevented from undoing this for 72 hours because of the nature of fraud prevention - it's not an uncommon policy to prevent someone using social engineering to get an account unlocked. It's absolutely commonplace, and the answers you were getting "it's the system, not us" and "for security reasons" are absolutely correct. Just because they aren't the answers you wanted to hear doesn't make them bad answers.

That your issue was set off by glitches in their system is immaterial; it could have just as easily been glitches in your bank/cc's API [or you accidentally spamming them, or actual fraud, or a glitch at the 3rd party fraud servers, etc]. So yes, it sucks they can't just 'fix' it for you, but understand it's due to them being secure, not because they're 'anti-consumer'. It's an unfortunate fact that no matter how good of fraud protection you have in place, there will be false positives and those people will need to wait and/or jump through hoops.

having just finished steins;gate i got goose bumps when they showed the steins;gate 0 opening! :D

Edit:and odin sphere HD looks amazing.

Edit 2:next up is DQ builders!

DQBuilders has me so hyped. I love sandbox games, and this one is looking crazy polished. Anxious to see vita footage.

Yes it looks really good, but I really hope that they don't forget about the RPG part (skills, equipment, magic etc.)

It looks so charming but early in production IMO, I really hope for them to not rush the development it. It seems to have so much potential.

Edit: I just finished watching the horizon :zero dawn live demo, that game looks so good and I understand why they choosed to show a perfect playthrough the first time. That made me appreciate the TGS live demo so much more.

To the people that didn't watch it the person completely missed the jump between the rocks in the chase scene at the beginning of the fight (that I thought was scripted).
They also told us that the big monster has 12 different attacks, but that we'll only see 4 in the demo.

I also saw a crazy intense demo of the bloodbourne DLC (haven't played BB so I can't say much about it).

It's not really anti-consumer at all -- you're just the victim of a rare set of circumstances. It's certainly not incompetence or unprofessionalism.

You set off fraud protection software (most likely third party, just like nearly everyone else) and it locked down your account in case it was hijacked. They are prevented from undoing this for 72 hours because of the nature of fraud prevention - it's not an uncommon policy to prevent someone using social engineering to get an account unlocked. It's absolutely commonplace, and the answers you were getting "it's the system, not us" and "for security reasons" are absolutely correct. Just because they aren't the answers you wanted to hear doesn't make them bad answers.

That your issue was set off by glitches in their system is immaterial; it could have just as easily been glitches in your bank/cc's API [or you accidentally spamming them, or actual fraud, or a glitch at the 3rd party fraud servers, etc]. So yes, it sucks they can't just 'fix' it for you, but understand it's due to them being secure, not because they're 'anti-consumer'. It's an unfortunate fact that no matter how good of fraud protection you have in place, there will be false positives and those people will need to wait and/or jump through hoops.

Glitches in their system? No. Their billing system (according to the tech, which may or may not be true) was down. The code path shouldn't have even gotten to t he point of tripping a fraud protection system. It's pure incompetence, but this is still the Sony that allowed the PS3-era PSN hack, and the same Sony that allowed North Korean hackers to steal all their secrets. If they wanted to be secure, they should mandate two-factor auth for every transaction instead of using an outdated five-alarm fire alert system every time their servers break.

And I called out their unprofessionalism because the manager hung up on me. That's unacceptable behavior.

Yes it looks really good, but I really hope that they don't forget about the RPG part (skills, equipment, magic etc.)

It looks so charming but early in production IMO, I really hope for them to not rush the development it. It seems to have so much potential.
Actually, I'd say it looks relatively far in to development, but I suppose it depends on where they want to go with it.

If they're focusing on the sandbox stuff and town building, then the game is probably pretty close to done.

On the other hand, if the RPG elements are going to be more substantial (which, as of right now, we have no reason to believe afaik) then the game does seem pretty early. I'd like to see a greater sense of progression in the game, as well, but honestly I'm just happy to have a DQ sandbox.

Also seriously, vita footage please.

We've 'known' about that one for a while:

http://www.siliconera.com/2015/07/09/the-witch-and-the-hundred-knight-revival-is-coming-westward/

I still kinda feel like it could be later this year, but regardless, it's bizarre we still don't have any NISA games announced for next year yet. Normally they pack a lot of stuff into Q1 but so far they have 0 games announced.

Sure hope they're holding a meaty press conference soon.

Saphirax

We've 'known' about that one for a while:

http://www.siliconera.com/2015/07/09/the-witch-and-the-hundred-knight-revival-is-coming-westward/

I still kinda feel like it could be later this year, but regardless, it's bizarre we still don't have any NISA games announced for next year yet. Normally they pack a lot of stuff into Q1 but so far they have 0 games announced.

Sure hope they're holding a meaty press conference soon.

While they may be having difficulties with other games, I'm not sure what's stopping them from actually saying that The Witch and the Hundred Knight Revival is coming over. The only reason I can think of is, as you said, they may want to do a complete press release/conference with all the games planned.

While they may be having difficulties with other games, I'm not sure what's stopping them from actually saying that The Witch and the Hundred Knight Revival is coming over. The only reason I can think of is, as you said, they may want to do a complete press release/conference with all the games planned.

They seem to be having problems with Rodea, but that shouldn't stop them announcing other stuff aye. Unless you mean they're having problems acquiring games?

But they've certainly got plenty to choose from. A load of NIS-interally developed titles are releasing over the coming months, and their new partners like Experience/Kadokawa/Spike Chunsoft have stuff coming they could pick up too.

Last year they announced Operation Abyss in December without any other games at the same time, so it's certainly possible.

I'm hopeful anyway.

Saphirax

They seem to be having problems with Rodea, but that shouldn't stop them announcing other stuff aye. Unless you mean they're having problems acquiring games?

But they've certainly got plenty to choose from. A load of NIS-interally developed titles are releasing over the coming months, and their new partners like Experience/Kadokawa/Spike Chunsoft have stuff coming they could pick up too.

Last year they announced Operation Abyss in December without any other games at the same time, so it's certainly possible.

I'm hopeful anyway.

They mentioned at AX that they did have games to announce, it was just too soon. If one of their games is Stranger of Sword City it could be that MS and Experience have some sort of a deal for the X1 version and NISA just can't talk about the game yet. Whatever it is, I hope they announce new games soon!

How easily would I be able to get into Disgaea 4 if I have pretty limited experience with the series?

The Vita port is on sale and I really liked Z.H.P. on PSP.

Tizoc

How easily would I be able to get into Disgaea 4 if I have pretty limited experience with the series?

The Vita port is on sale and I really liked Z.H.P. on PSP.

Like D3 I do believe it has a tutorial mode to let you learn the game's basics, so if you enjoyed ZHP you're likely to enjoy D4 too.

They mentioned at AX that they did have games to announce, it was just too soon. If one of their games is Stranger of Sword City it could be that MS and Experience have some sort of a deal for the X1 version and NISA just can't talk about the game yet. Whatever it is, I hope they announce new games soon!

Yeh, I think there's probably something weird going on with that game and that was one of the ones they weren't ready to show.

My suspicion is that NISA are translating & releasing the Vita version, but then Exp. Inc are going to use that translation to do a digital-only XB1 release later in the year.

I kinda hope they pick up Operation Babel though, would be a shame to leave the series hanging without bringing across the next game.

My real hope is that they bring over Hero Must Die, but it's probably a bit early to announce that yet.

(I had been holding out hope for Ukiyo no Roushi, but that looks long gone now. I'm also hopeful someone picks up Exist Archive, but that strikes me as more of an XSEED/Aksys game than NISA).

Saphirax

Yeh, I think there's probably something weird going on with that game and that was one of the ones they weren't ready to show.

My suspicion is that NISA are translating & releasing the Vita version, but then Exp. Inc are going to use that translation to do a digital-only XB1 release later in the year.

I kinda hope they pick up Operation Babel though, would be a shame to leave the series hanging without bringing across the next game.

My real hope is that they bring over Hero Must Die, but it's probably a bit early to announce that yet.

(I had been holding out hope for Ukiyo no Roushi, but that looks long gone now. I'm also hopeful someone picks up Exist Archive, but that strikes me as more of an XSEED/Aksys game than NISA).

Man, I want all of those as well :p. Although, I don't think Operation Abyss sold that well :(. It would take a miracle to get UnR though, which is a shame since the game looks good.

That game was pretty much a given or else they would not have done a PS4 version. Still no idea why they went and did that as its not like the game was all that good in particular.

I'd say they clearly want to make another brand out of this. They don't seem to have much success in doing that outside of Disgaea.

The first sold decently from what I can tell, it was just them going horribly over budget that crippled the project.

As someone who doesn't understand japanese the hero must die showing was the biggest disappointment of all TGS. The only footage we got was a character running from one side of the screen to the other (unless I missed someting).

As someone who doesn't understand japanese the hero must die showing was the biggest disappointment of all TGS. The only footage we got was a character running from one side of the screen to the other (unless I missed someting).

I didn't even know there was new footage shown at TGS, link?

I'm just going off the premise; the screenshots and the fact it's a somewhat traditional RPG.

Top Bottom