• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Network Thread (Vita/PS4/PS3) | March 2015

Massa

Looks like Share Play is now 60fps on 2.50 beta (via Wario64 twitter). I wonder if this means Remote Play can also do 60fps...

bobohoro

So in summary, if I want the whole story (having done P3 + P4):
I have to play both Arena games in order
I can play P4Q at any time - even at the same time as Arena games.

Correct?

Edit: Just saw the antibolo's post about the story DLC. That might be the way to go. As long as I can do P4Q at the same time.

If you want to play Arena Ultimax for the story, I'm not really sure I can recommend that. I mean it's downright shit. There is no real additional character development apart from seeing some slightly older versions of the characters and hearing some tiniy details of what they did in the meantime. The story itself is pretty underwhelming, the antagonist is meh and...naw, I really think it's not worth the effort.

It's a pretty awesome fighting game though, so if you're interested in those, get it.

autoduelist

I don't think killing retail is a great idea either though. NISA originally wasn't planning on a retail release of firefly diary, then they sold out of their allotment before launch and there's still people insisting they won't buy without physical. I wouldn't mind more single-store online-only sales like Firefly diary, the physical copy of Retro City Rampage. Just don't use Gamestop.

Retail is far more intensive than most people realize, I think. I used to work for a company that sold books... retailers would often take around 55% of MSRP as their cut. They'd also be able to 'return' unsold goods at our expense or simply write them off entirely -- yes, that means we'd get massive amounts of books returned and have to pay postage on them, then figure out something to do with all that unsold inventory. Or, we could tell them to keep them, which is essentially what happens when you see 'remainder sales' at bookstores where there is no cover... none of the profits of those sales go back to the publisher, but those low prices undercut any real purchases. Then there is the cost of printing, distribution, and everything else...

Then there are digital sales... where we would get a huge cut, and have -zero- issues. It was low risk (printing up lots of copies of books is expensive, and I can only imagine the manufacturing required for games is even more expensive) with high rewards and no chance of getting completely burnt if something didn't do well.

I know every industry is slightly different in the details, but ultimately the digital age is the best thing that has happened to publishers... sure, there are growing pains, and kinks to work out... but it's so much easier to release a digital only product than a retail release, with less risk and higher profit, that it's here to stay.

I realize some of you want/demand physical releases. I can understand that. But don't take it personal when a game goes digital only -- I'm guessing in most cases (ie, 99%) it's that or nothing. If I was a publisher I wouldn't touch physical releases for anything but known quantities like Uncharted or massively hyped games like Destiny. Oreshika? Digital all the way, any day. Going retail is more likely to result in heavy losses than profit.

SerTapTap

Retail is far more intensive than most people realize, I think. I used to work for a company that sold books... retailers would often take around 55% of MSRP as their cut. They'd also be able to 'return' unsold goods at our expense or simply write them off entirely -- yes, that means we'd get massive amounts of books returned and have to pay postage on them, then figure out something to do with all that unsold inventory. Or, we could tell them to keep them, which is essentially what happens when you see 'remainder sales' at bookstores where there is no cover... none of the profits of those sales go back to the publisher, but those low prices undercut any real purchases. Then there is the cost of printing, distribution, and everything else...

I know retail has traditionally been a huge pain in the ass, but certain PS4 indies have a suspiciously easy time making retail print runs, not sure of the trick to it; Stick It To The Man and Retro City Rampage already did it, apparently Tower of guns will do it as well. RCR's dev is fucking crazy (in a good way) but ToG's dev doing it makes me think something might have changed, that or he's got a pub doing work for him?

If you don't actually distribute to brick and mortar stores it seems like a lot of the fuckery would be lessened, no? That's why I suggested one, online, retailer, like NISA did for Firefly. The internet is no longer optional so I think it's kind of silly for a lot of stuff to focus so hard on retail anyway. I've been in game stores two times in the last 4 years, and not because I don't buy lots of games.

And I'm not saying digital only is terrible or anything, but there are a lot of fussy people who do think that, and I will prefer physical where I can get it. If physical releases can be made sane by cutting out the actual brick and mortar retailers I'm all for it. I'm sure it's not quite that easy, but I suspect Sony's made things a bit easier somehow?

Shizuka

My PSTV became my La-Mulana EX machine, at least I have a good purpose for it now. Beat the second boss earlier today.

SerTapTap

I've never played God Eater (well, I played an hour of tutorials), is this character cool? I can get her for like $30 and she's cute and has cool guns and stuff. I have good priorities

511%2BFE73L8L.jpg

SerTapTap

Update is sounding too good to be true. 60 FPS Shareplay? Button mapping?? Megatons if true

You should always buy a Nendoroid when it's as cheap as $30, bro.

That's pretty much my logic, just seeing if anyone would dissuade me. Man I need a display case for these...

autoduelist

I know retail has traditionally been a huge pain in the ass, but certain PS4 indies have a suspiciously easy time making retail print runs, not sure of the trick to it; Stick It To The Man and Retro City Rampage already did it, apparently Tower of guns will do it as well. RCR's dev is fucking crazy (in a good way) but ToG's dev doing it makes me think something might have changed, that or he's got a pub doing work for him?

If you don't actually distribute to brick and mortar stores it seems like a lot of the fuckery would be lessened, no? That's why I suggested one, online, retailer, like NISA did for Firefly. The internet is no longer optional so I think it's kind of silly for a lot of stuff to focus so hard on retail anyway. I've been in game stores two times in the last 4 years, and not because I don't buy lots of games.

And I'm not saying digital only is terrible or anything, but there are a lot of fussy people who do think that, and I will prefer physical where I can get it. If physical releases can be made sane by cutting out the actual brick and mortar retailers I'm all for it. I'm sure it's not quite that easy, but I suspect Sony's made things a bit easier somehow?

Well, ultimately it comes down to a math problem. How much added profit might the retail release bring, versus how much risk if it all goes south and doesn't sell to expectation?

Releasing retail, even to only 1 store, means you're adding on work. Product design, ISBNs, manufacturing, distribution to your single retailer. Your retailer has their own costs - inventory storage, customer service, dealing with returns, order management, web presence, credit card processing, etc. They hopefully have some of that already if they're established, but inventory storage is no joke, especially if something doesn't sell to expectations.

Adding all that work and cost to your project will let you reach one specific group of people -- those that strictly purchase retail only and will never, ever buy a digital product. Now, that's a very small number of people, because most will break down and buy something (like, say, Oreshika) digitally if they really want it and/or the price is right.

Everyone not in that group may mutter if they 'prefer' retail, but will ultimately buy your game digitally if the price is right.

You also need to put up money upfront to print copies. A print run of 10k or 20k does not come cheap [and micro print runs aren't cheap either due to economies of scale, and the more you pay per copy the less you see on the other end]. That's money that could be used to fund other projects, or simply pay the electricity bill. And that's money you never see back if a game doesn't sell to expectations.

Plus you have the fickle nature of reviewers and customer base that may reward one game, or banish another to hell because someone doesn't like its story, or its graphics, or thinks there is too little this or too much that, or that it is too hard or too easy, or whatever.

And that doesn't even get into the benefits of completely removing the used market for your product.

deadfolk

Looks like remote play on 2.50 requires a Vita FW update, so most likely that means 60fps on Vita too.

Dualshock 4 on remote play, please Sony.

If you want to play Arena Ultimax for the story, I'm not really sure I can recommend that. I mean it's downright shit. There is no real additional character development apart from seeing some slightly older versions of the characters and hearing some tiniy details of what they did in the meantime. The story itself is pretty underwhelming, the antagonist is meh and...naw, I really think it's not worth the effort.

It's a pretty awesome fighting game though, so if you're interested in those, get it.

Well I'm not expecting much. I just want to be up to speed for DAN. But psn gaf recommended P4A(U) a little while ago when I was asking about fighting games, so when I find a reasonably priced EU copy I might bite.

ZeroAKA

I forgot to pack my Vita for my spring break trip. No Vita for me for the next week and a half. :(

My plane ride feels so wrong without being able to play Miku.

antibolo

Banned
Personally I'm baffled that retail Vita games in the West are even still a thing, I have a hard time imagining how they could possibly be profitable in any way. But I guess they must be to some extent, or else NISA, Xseed, etc. would have stopped doing them by now.

Shizuka

Personally I'm baffled that retail Vita games in the West are even still a thing, I have a hard time imagining how they could possibly be profitable in any way. But I guess they must be to some extent, or else NISA, Xseed, etc. would have stopped doing them by now.

Aksys will likely be the last to drop retail Vita releases. If other companies are still doing it, I think we're in for a couple until 2017.

Producer

Last year, Koei Tecmo released 3 retail vita games in the span of like a month. That was legitly amazing to me.

But they probably wont be doing that again lol.

amazon.jp. The red beret undercleavage girl is there too (she also has cool weapons so I'll buy her too). You need to order a lot to get the most out of shipping though since you're shipping from Japan (at least I think I'm getting a discount...1 item is $11 to ship, six items is $27)

So I would have to make a JP account right? would I have to use a VPN or a JP address?

SerTapTap

So I would have to make a JP account right? would I have to use a VPN or a JP address?

It's super easy, no JP address needed even. No IP block. Just be sure to only get items that ship overseas (I could only find this option in the Hobby section). Then you add an international address to ship to. You can use a credit card and even pay in dollars. It's a separate account, but you can use the same email you use for US amazon if you want. The selection is limited but there's a modest variety of stuff that ships to us (possible elsewhere, it is "global" after all)

Did you guys notice the PSP turns 10 in March 24th?

I'm so old *rusts away*

wilflare

I forgot to pack my Vita for my spring break trip. No Vita for me for the next week and a half. :(

My plane ride feels so wrong without being able to play Miku.

but you packed your new3DS XL with Pokemon right?

GET OUT
I still love you though

----

so based on @Wario64's tweets

PS4 2.5 Firmware BETA Details Leaked
- Suspend/Resume IN supposed working "perfectly" and "awesome"
- Button Mapping IN - you can now remap your "X" and "O"s
- Share Play 60FPS IN
- Delete Trophies with 0% IN
- Search Trophies Details on Internet IN
- Screenshots of Scenes w/Trophies IN
- Share Trophy Details and Screenshots IN

such a big update but only 2.5? lol thought it would be 3.0
3.0 would save PS4 in Japan and Vita in the West
#believe

I'm looking forward to this

Shizuka

If I want to sell my Vita, what should I do with it first? Reset to factory settings? Format the memory card? How do I remove the access from my account?

Chuy

If I want to sell my Vita, what should I do with it first? Reset to factory settings? Format the memory card? How do I remove the access from my account?
Delete account information from the memory card/system and then factory reset it.

autoduelist

what? you're leaving us? or buying a new one?
there's no way you're skipping Operation Abyss so i'm just going to assume this post means nothing.

Deactivate it (Settings > PSN > System Activation - go through all the options and deactivate so you aren't using any of your Vita "slots".)

Format the Vita (Restore to factory settings) and format the memory card.

Voila.

It's super easy, no JP address needed even. No IP block. Just be sure to only get items that ship overseas (I could only find this option in the Hobby section). Then you add an international address to ship to. You can use a credit card and even pay in dollars. It's a separate account, but you can use the same email you use for US amazon if you want. The selection is limited but there's a modest variety of stuff that ships to us (possible elsewhere, it is "global" after all)

Wow thanks man ^__^ I thought it would be a lot more complicated than that.

Maid

Banned
I've never played God Eater (well, I played an hour of tutorials), is this character cool? I can get her for like $30 and she's cute and has cool guns and stuff. I have good priorities

She's a energetic type of girl, eat a lot and wield a rocket hammer. I can't see how it's not cool.

v1perz53

Oh thank god if true (suspend/resume coming soon on PS4). I was just about to make a post how after going back and playing more of P3/P4 on Vita, that I am not sure if I would be able to enjoy P5 on anything but Vita. And that mostly came down to suspend/resume being so absolutely perfect for taking a break at any moment in a game that has notoriously long sections between being able to save.

Though to be honest I realize I am not exactly sure what people mean when they say suspend/resume is in for PS4. Do they mean you can put the console in rest mode and then come back to your game? Or can you hot swap between games without losing progress? Either of those would work for me, but obviously the latter would be way cooler.

Top Bottom