• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Network Thread (Vita/PS4/PS3) | March 2015

Massa

I don't know if this is the best place to ask,
but on the PS4, is there a way to download updates from a PC and install them via USB like there is on the PS3? I'm getting mine next week and I don't want to have to wait for the update to download.

Yep, it's pretty much the same as PS3. You can download it from Sony's website.

don't overlook Hotline Miami 2!

Same here, Helldivers and HM2 for me this month, wouldn't mind CouterSpy and Hohokum at a good discount finally.

I started playing Hotline Miami last week on PS4 and didn't really like it. I will go back to it at some point but perhaps its just not my thing. I'll save my money towards Shovel Knight perhaps or other stuff thats on sale

AsfaeksBR

Had no idea Dragon Ball came out.
Haven't watched a single episode since 2005 ('06 the latter).
Haven't played a decent fighting game since Naruto Ultimate Ninja 4 (really good game, I reckon)
And yet, I really want to play. Looks so gooooooood!

pariah164

Anyone ever play Vagrant Story? The game came up in a stream I watched yesterday, and it's dirt cheap on PSN, so... How good is it?

bobohoro

Anyone ever play Vagrant Story? The game came up in a stream I watched yesterday, and it's dirt cheap on PSN, so... How good is it?

One of the best RPGs on PSone, just a hella lot confusing in terms of customisation/weapon building and the battle system takes some getting used to. But awesome story, very interesting atmosphere and all around high quality. Don't know how well it will hold up though.

TomShoe

Banned
Going to be busy this week, last one before Spring break. I have a test on the 3rd, so hopefully I can get some Helldivers action in that night. I haven't played a classic top-down shooter in a long time, it might scratch that itch.

Download code

Nice, will be scanning eBay for download codes.

SerTapTap

Great icon, Zero.

Axiom Verge review codes going out the third. I gotta finish some stuff before then, lol

Oh, hey, chapter 3 of Monpiece!

Aaand all the enemies are handing me my ass.

My main strategies are
1) Monocolor deck. If you don't have enough cards, two colors. Red and Yellow seem to be the best for how I play (IE ignore buffs). Blue is probably the worst since it's almost entirely buffs/healing and basically forces a dualcolor deck
2) Plunk down a healer then a melee unit in front of it. You can substitute ranged for the melee, but their stats tend to be worse and range is less valid for frontline. Try and get a live set of 2 cards on each row to force the AI to multitask--they start with good cards so it's very hard to win without putting them on defense. Then, use the same card type "stack" ability if needed for an emergency heal/power up (once per card). Your cards will naturally power up every 3 turns so focus on keeping them alive (if a tough card is coming, toss on a stacked card to help them survive the blow)
3) Added to the above, mobile 3+ range Ranged units can be put after the first healer to add extra damage, but these aren't super common cards. Alternately, you can just stack a second pair of healer/melee as a backup.
4) Keep an eye on how enemies will advance and try to place your cards so that you hit your enemy first not the other way around.
5) The only items you need are the money/rub points + items. Try to use both in every battle, just before winning. You can use some as "cheat codes" in some of the harder battles if you must but don't depend on 'em

Lol, love the PS Plus section in the OP

Was Tearaway free with Plus at some point? Trying to figure out why it's in my download list when I bought it physical ;p

pariah164

One of the best RPGs on PSone, just a hella lot confusing in terms of customisation/weapon building and the battle system takes some getting used to. But awesome story, very interesting atmosphere and all around high quality. Don't know how well it will hold up though.
Thanks. May snag it, then.

My main strategies are
1) Monocolor deck. If you don't have enough cards, two colors. Red and Yellow seem to be the best for how I play (IE ignore buffs). Blue is probably the worst since it's almost entirely buffs/healing and basically forces a dualcolor deck
2) Plunk down a healer then a melee unit in front of it. You can substitute ranged for the melee, but their stats tend to be worse and range is less valid for frontline. Try and get a live set of 2 cards on each row to force the AI to multitask--they start with good cards so it's very hard to win without putting them on defense. Then, use the same card type "stack" ability if needed for an emergency heal/power up (once per card). Your cards will naturally power up every 3 turns so focus on keeping them alive (if a tough card is coming, toss on a stacked card to help them survive the blow)
3) Added to the above, mobile 3+ range Ranged units can be put after the first healer to add extra damage, but these aren't super common cards. Alternately, you can just stack a second pair of healer/melee as a backup.
4) Keep an eye on how enemies will advance and try to place your cards so that you hit your enemy first not the other way around.
5) The only items you need are the money/rub points + items. Try to use both in every battle, just before winning. You can use some as "cheat codes" in some of the harder battles if you must but don't depend on 'em
Awesome tips. Will definitely keep these in mind.

Tizoc

Dang did you never grow up with a PSX :p
There's an OT for Vagrant Story, read it for some useless tips on how to play the game
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=423164&highlight=vagrant+story

SerTapTap

Oh, one last thing, try to keep a median mana cost of around 3. With a mono color deck you'll be getting the large mana bonuses often so you get 4 extra mana total every 3 turns (with a duo you can usually but not always get it), so you can place SOME cards with high cost, but I like to focus on cards with 3-4 cost primarily. Don't forget you can plop down a card with a 3 cost and, if it survives, toss a much more expensive card of the same type. So you can "rush" to get all 3 lanes occupied with cheap cards then focus on upgrading those cards.

If you stack too many 4+ mana cards in your deck, you may be forced to lose a turn (ideally at the start of the game, that's not so bad). Against the AI it's not a huge deal but it can make you lose a close match against a human.

Tizoc

I did have a PSOne, I just never played Vagrant Story. Thanks for the OT link.

The game is well revered here on GAF so I'm surprised you'd ask about ;3

Just follow the guide in the thread and stick to it, the game can be a hassle when you don't know some of its mechanics.

deadfolk

Lol, love the PS Plus section in the OP

Was Tearaway free with Plus at some point? Trying to figure out why it's in my download list when I bought it physical ;p

It is probably the demo. I think it's one of those games where you just buy an unlock for the demo when you get it from psn. I'm pretty sure it was always in my download list even before I bought it.

Minecraft is the same, iirc.

It certainly wasn't, might have been on sale or something

Hrm, maybe the demo is mislabeled or something. I know I downloaded that.

It is probably the demo. I think it's one of those games where you just buy an unlock for the demo when you get it from psn. I'm pretty sure it was always in my download list even before I bought it.

Minecraft is the same, iirc.

Yeah, gotta be it then.

RK128

As a huge metroid fan from back in the day, I am so excited to play this.

That's coming out so soon?! Man, lost track of the release dates XD! Can't wait to try this out :). Like I said a while back, the last Metorid game came out in 2007, so its been quite a while since I played a game like that (maybe Guacamelee and some PS1 classics like SoTN). Looking forward to when it comes out, as I liked what I played of the demo at the Gamestop PS4 station.

SerTapTap

BTW fun fact: apparently games for review get added to PSN on tuesday updates too. Dan Adelman said they got their codes early, but the game still won't go live until tuesday. Doesn't seem like a very flexible system...

Hrm, maybe the demo is mislabeled or something. I know I downloaded that.

Yeah, gotta be it then.

Ah! Yes, it is the demo, it's one of those weird ones where the demo is the full game but locked and buying the main game gives you a 100kb unlock code. It even says "trial and unlock" on the bubble for the full version annoyingly enough

That's coming out so soon?! Man, lost track of the release dates XD! Can't wait to try this out :). Like I said a while back, the last Metorid game came out in 2007, so its been quite a while since I played a game like that (maybe Guacamelee and some PS1 classics like SoTN). Looking forward to when it comes out, as I liked what I played of the demo at the Gamestop PS4 station.

My last Metroid if I remember correctly was Fusion on the GBA, which I bought while on a vacation to Mayorca when I was a kid. I remember playing the shit out of it ahaha

RK128

My last Metroid if I remember correctly was Fusion on the GBA, which I bought while on a vacation to Mayorca when I was a kid. I remember playing the shit out of it ahaha

No the last one was Prime 3 back in 2007 and I think the Prime Trilogy pack in 2008/2009.

Other M doesn't count as Metorid game, but this isn't the place to talk about that train-wreck....

It is a fantastic series so while it is a shame its been so long since we got another one, it is great to see more and more indie developers make Metroid and Metroid-like games :).

No the last one was Prime 3 back in 2007 and I think the Prime Trilogy pack in 2008/2009.

Other M doesn't count as Metorid game, but this isn't the place to talk about that train-wreck....

It is a fantastic series so while it is a shame its been so long since we got another one, it is great to see more and more indie developers make Metroid and Metroid-like games :).

Yes but Fusion was my last game, I never played the Wii ones since I didn't own the system. And I'll be honest no game thus far has managed to capture the metroid feel yet for me. Velocity 2x KINDA gets it, but not really, it only shares a few elements from it. Axiom Verge on the other hand seems to literally pay homage to the series with all the exploration, the weapons, the design and sprites... It's beautiful lol.

RK128

Yes but Fusion was my last game, I never played the Wii ones since I didn't own the system. And I'll be honest no game thus far has managed to capture the metroid feel yet for me. Velocity 2x KINDA gets it, but not really, it only shares a few elements from it. Axiom Verge on the other hand seems to literally pay homage to the series with all the exploration, the weapons, the design and sprites... It's beautiful lol.

Sorry man, got a bit confused on what you said. Played little of Fusion, but I really enjoyed what I did play of it; great level design and despite its linear nature compared to other games (Zero Mission and Super Metroid), it is a fantastic game.

I hear you on Velocity 2x scratching that Metroid itch a bit; great female main character, fun gameplay and a fantastic game feel (if that makes sense). It isn't really a Metroid game at all (I personally consider it to be a what-if type deal with Sonic mixed with a shooting game like Metal Slug or something) but it still is a great game.

Axiom Verge just has that Metroid look and vibe all over; the demo I played on the GS PS4 Demo Station was beautiful to look at and the game controlled very well. Looking forward to it :).

Producer

Senran Kagura SV. Fun game, but the fan service is extremely over board and no way to avoid the clothing rip mechanic. This is coming from someone that just came from DOA5.

well, thats the main draw of the game after all. lol

RK128

well, thats the main draw of the game after all. lol

It looks like a fun game though, as the combat from the gameplay looks quite fun and well done, even if the fan-service for the game is a bit extreme for my liking (not dissing the game, still consider it a fun action game despite that :)).

Edit: Found this in the PS+ Thread:
gUjVyCJ.jpg

Apparently people are linking this saying this is what's coming for PS+ due to a leak.

This looks to be the PS4 games for Plus this month....not bad picks in the slightest :D. Lego Marvel is a great game while Octodad is such a wacky and creative game on the PS4, so seeing both on Plus is really nice :).

Jingx found the picture on 4Chain, so who knows if this is right or not, but I hope it is :); both would be great games for the month.

VLiberty

Lego is usually the filler.
Lego batman was iin place of some game unreleased in germany
Lego LOTR was in place of NLKS, which was legitly leaked but didn't come until tge next month.
Lego Batman 2 and Harry Potter were in place of the Vanillaware games as those had been given away before in europe.

Therefore I'm guessing that Lego Marvel is in place of some game that was due to be given this month but isn't gonna be anymore, wwhich would explain the late announcement.
I'm gonna be pissed if it's Olliollli 2.

RK128

I think OlliOlli2 and Crimsonland are very likely, if you ask me.

I think that is a good point; both are coming out the same day that PS+ is supposed to update, so it is likely they will be landing on Plus :).

My final bet for Plus with all the news is the following:
PS4: Lego Marvel, Octodad
PS3: Crimsonland, RE Revelations 1
Vita: La Mulana EX, OilOil2

That sounds like a great month in my eyes :).

carlos

I'm not sure where to ask this, but I'm sure one of you gents knows the answer:

When ordering a Playstation store $20 card from the sony rewards site, do they send a physical card, or is it a code through email?

thanks in advance

SerTapTap

It's gonna look glorious on my Vita when I remote play it.

Vita version is coming too. Just a month or two down the line. I'm sure it'll look great on Vita, the PC press preview was already running at Vita res (1/4th of 1080p for easy scaling for PS4/1080p pc too)

And yeah, some people complain about how similar Axiom Verge is to Metroid based on looks alone, but once you play it/see more of it, it's just so masterfully crafted I'm totally fine with it taking a ton of inspiration. It's not like they're ripped sprites, they just do an amazing job of making a more modern but still pixel art metroid-ish world. And the subject matter is much darker (from what I've seen) than anything you'd see in Metroid too.

RK128

I'm not sure where to ask this, but I'm sure one of you gents knows the answer:

When ordering a Playstation store $20 card from the sony rewards site, do they send a physical card, or is it a code through email?

thanks in advance

Both, though you get the code a lot faster then the card (it comes within 1-3 days normally). Hope this helps :).

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
Damn it's already March...
At least this time i can finally vote for the GOTM if Oreshika deserves it.

Imo IGC games are still unannounced because there's some problem with one of them so they are searching for a substitute or for a solution.

Can I play Monster Monpiece without sexually harassing my Vita, or is that mini-game mandatory?

You can, for example i don't rub anything(i did it only few times just to try or to see the illustrations) because most of the times i don't like the result, i just buy new cards, usually between them there are better or upgraded cards.

yella

I asked in the previous thread, but I'm not sure if anyone saw it, so I'll ask again:

I bought a PSN card to get some items from the Vita Birthday Sale, but when I tried to reedeem it, it said it was invalid or already reedeemed. The place that sold it to me told me to contact Sony; but when I did, they are telling me to go to the place who sold it to me. However, the card they gave me was brand new.

Any tips on getting this resolved? Who's in the wong? I really just wanna get Tales of Hearts R before the sale is over ;_;

Massa

I asked in the previous thread, but I'm not sure if anyone saw it, so I'll ask again:

I bought a PSN card to get some items from the Vita Birthday Sale, but when I tried to reedeem it, it said it was invalid or already reedeemed. The place that sold it to me told me to contact Sony; but when I did, they are telling me to go to the place who sold it to me. However, the card they gave me was brand new.

Any tips on getting this resolved? Who's in the wong? I really just wanna get Tales of Hearts R before the sale is over ;_;

The place you bought it from needs to provide you a valid code, if they don't demand your money back.

Ponn

Banned
Hey since I don't think there is an OT for monster monpiece I will ask here. I think i'm on chapter 9 or 10 and I have pretty good decks so far but i'm wondering some things.

1) I have two decks, one green/yellow and blue/red. Are these good combos?

2) Am I crazy or is it preferable not to raise every cards levels. I know some gain potentials or skills and lose hp but some of the skills or potentials aren't worth the attack or hp loss in my opinion.

3) Why the hell am I all of a sudden losing mana during battles??? I can't figure it out, I don't see the enemy using any specific skills and my normal strategy of passing a couple turns to build up mana isn't working.

4) If this is going to keep happening what are some good low level cards to keep in the deck?

5) Is the Neptunia card only the two versions? Am I wrong or if you rub it does it just go back and forth between nep nep and purple heart right?

Thanks in advance. Now I need to go ice my arm from all the rubbing.

SerTapTap

Anyone know much about Neptunia merch? Looks like the anime was only released in english digitally? And the manga wasn't at all? I found some cheap-ish manga sets on Ebay I might buy if Japanese is the only physical option anyway.

Hope IFI takes over that stuff too. US Neptunia merch is seriously lacking.

Hey since I don't think there is an OT for monster monpiece I will ask here. I think i'm on chapter 9 or 10 and I have pretty good decks so far but i'm wondering some things.

1) I prefer monocolor decks. Any color is fine really, there are certain skills that target certain colors of cards but generally speaking the only thing that matters regarding color is that you chain cards of the same color for mana. They're not remotely as relevant as elements in Pokemon TGC or anything.

2) Rubbing makes cards different, not uniquely better. Don't think of it as an upgrade. I try to always keep 3 of the base card when rubbing, and rub in groups to waste less time. Cards can change in almost any way, higher stats, same cost, higher stats higher cost, new skills, lower stats lower cost, lower stats new skills.

3) The AI, especially late game, loves to spam Mana Attack skill cards. You should see a skill activation when it happens. There's usually only a few per deck and they usually play them RIGHT at the start. It's totally not cheating right.

4) There's tons of decent 2 and 3 mana cards. Try and keep like half your deck at that threshold really, if you're not placing a card every turn (and completing a large mana bonus every 3 turns!) you're at a pretty major disadvantage.

5) Yes that's what the Neptune card seems to do. You only get one so they do it so you don't "ruin" it I guess.

Top Bottom