• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Now announced (PS1/2/3 streaming to TVs/Tablets/Phones/PSes, Summer 2014)

How can you even say that? Onlive has like... what, 200 subscribers? This is gonna have 5 million subs on day 1. There's no network engineer alive that can predict what that's gonna be like in this new area of streaming. You literally have to judge it once it happens in a live setting.

Who said PS Now will have the same infrastructure and implementation of OnLive? I said it would at least be comparable, not to mention it'll have Sony's backing and budget.

Septimius

You would never own anything on this service, so I don't get why "the cost of a game" is relevant. Especially when it's Sony's own games.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Oh, Sony is pushing hard the always online future. If this service is a hit i can see the end of the Sony dedicated hardware for playing games. I can't say i'm very excited about this...

You would be the one to spin this negatively. No one is doing anything right now. If anything they are tying more to their ecosystem. One which pretty much blows away both MSFT and Nintendo when counting the devices and services provided on their platforms.

plainr_

Wonderful announcement.

Can't believe they got PS3 streaming to work. I'm really interested to see how the gaikai server works.

T

TrueMenace

Unconfirmed Member
This was like one of my top 3 reasons why I bought a PS4. I really hope they have an extensive PS3 library since I only owned a 360 before. I missed out on all the Naughty Dog Games, God of War series, and Tales games. I REALLY hope they include the Tales games to be streamed! I'm so pumped for this!

Oh, Sony is pushing hard the always online future. If this service is a hit i can see the end of the Sony dedicated hardware for playing games. I can't say i'm very excited about this...

Network technology isn't even close to the point where this would be viable as a primary means of content delivery rather than an ancillary revenue stream, though.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Nothing is more important in a videogame than the connection of the player to the game. Adding latency to that connection is always shitty.

Some people accept lots of shitty things every day, so some people will be ok with this, but anyone who cares about gameplay will find the input lag unacceptable.

Then you've got the compressed image, which adds more shitty to the experience.

I too worry about input lag but the reviewers have said that the lag is minimal. I think the home experience might be at best variable. I guess we will see.

Sera O

Banned
Holy mother of god. If I could play DDS 1 and 2, FFXII, and Shadow Hearts series on my vita, I would be so happy. There are so many PS2 games I would love to play on vita. I really hope the library they offer is a broad one.

starmud

im good with streaming to my vita or a ps4 (when i get one), tablet/phones will be interesting to see... asking the player to purchase an add on controller will be odd. im still wrapping my mind around that one.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Polygon impressions.

http://www.polygon.com/2014/1/7/5285014/hands-on-with-playstation-now-sony-game-streaming-service

Performance in games like The Last of Us and God of War: Ascension was impressive. Lag input was noticeable, seemingly more so on Vita when moving The Last of Us' Joel and waiting a beat for him to respond, but more than playable. Even the higher frame rate, faster paced action of Ascension was playable, though compression artifacts and more muted colors were present.

But the technology is striking, to say the least; these are capable, playable versions of PS3 games without the need for a dedicated console. Despite the small amount of latency, PlayStation Now already feels like a viable game-streaming option.

They peppered reps with questions about third party titles, the hardware running the games etc. but mostly got no answers. Although they say 'it sounds like' third party games will be available at launch.

Papytendo

Android Emulator on PC + Playstation Now = RDR, GTA V, Demon's Souls on PC

This is what I assume, I haven't looked into this at all.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Android Emulator on PC + Playstation Now = RDR, GTA V, Demon's Souls on PC

This is what I assume, I haven't looked into this at all.

I've very little doubt that eventually you'll be able to play these games from a PC web browser.

coldfoot

Banned
I've very little doubt that eventually you'll be able to play these games from a PC web browser.
They can make one RT app and take care of all Win8 + Windows Tablet users.

Come to think of it, I wonder if they'll make one for the Xbone, paywalled behind gold :)

Just realised that patent from the other day allows them to insert trophies into the old games...

That...is wonderful.

Wait... what? They have a way to insert NEW trophies into old games that didn't have trophies? So I could get trophies for PS1 games, for example? WHAT THE FUCK

Is there a thread about this?

Nerdkiller

Membeur
Still not convinced about lag and macroblocking artifacts.
I know. I experience that by simply being on remote play.

As for this service itself, cloud gaming never rocked my boat, mainly because you're playing a worse version (input and visual wise) of a game that runs on a native platform. Not to mention network requirements, and so on. It's probably already discussed in this thread, but that's just my two cents on the matter.

kiriin

Gaikai ≠ OnLive. If you used Gaikai before the Sony purchase, you would know that. Both quality and latency was much better on Gaikai.

I never said it was but the concept of cloud gaming is still the same, just skeptical that Sony has the infrastructure to pull it off.

rjinaz

Holy mother of god. If I could play DDS 1 and 2, FFXII, and Shadow Hearts series on my vita, I would be so happy. There are so many PS2 games I would love to play on vita. I really hope the library they offer is a broad one.

I know. I haven't played FF XII or DQ VIII in years. The prospect of being able to play them with Now sound wonderful.

Honestly, this is pretty cool. I thought for sure they'd limit streaming to the PS4, however, the support their proposing is amazing. Not to knock the Xbox One anymore, but this is MUCH cooler than an HDMI-in. And the streaming tech here can only get better (one hopes).

Good job, Sony.

Nice impressions from Polygon, I think Sony can pull this off. Gakai already had positive impressions from people before it was bought by Sony.

keit4

Banned
You would be the one to spin this negatively. No one is doing anything right now. If anything they are tying more to their ecosystem. One which pretty much blows away both MSFT and Nintendo when counting the devices and services provided on their platforms.

I'm not spinning things. Videogames as a service are already a thing, PS Now is just the next level, not only games but the entire gaming platform. I know that the network infrastructures are piss poor in a lot of countries, but i'm not saying that this transition is happening tomorrow. This is the future we are heading to in the next 10 years.

In that case Sony can release a regular windows app or make it work from a web browser and there is nothing that MS can do to block it.

Yes, for desktop OS. I meant more for RT/Windows Phones. iOS and Android may see PS streaming, but I doubt Windows devices (aside from PC) will ever see it.

I never said it was but the concept of cloud gaming is still the same, just skeptical that Sony has the infrastructure to pull it off.

I see. I was just trying to make sure you weren't equating Gaikai's service to Onlive's. Gaikai's infrastructure was always better, even from the start. The beta will probably slowly roll out to more and more users to ease Sony in. It could still all crash and burn, but post-PS3 Sony has me cautiously optimistic.

Personally I have zero interest in this.

I got every available game of my interest on all Playstations, and I am accustomed to play them at their best on my plasma or my crt in rgb quality for ps1 and ps2.

I seriously doubt I will put up with lag and degraded picture quality. Not to say I should pay for something I already own.

Top Bottom