• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Now announced (PS1/2/3 streaming to TVs/Tablets/Phones/PSes, Summer 2014)

Cartman86

Banned
no it wont... just like if you purchased a movie in Walmart 5 years ago, you wont be able to download it over itunes for free, or Watch it over Hulu or Netflix.

You're probably right but I think if I bought God of War 3 (a Sony game) then I should be able to play that for "free" on a Sony service.

MrBS

Posted already?
mgqpke.gif

Source (thanks Wario)
Should be using Heavenly Sword to demo the tech.

Nokagi

Unconfirmed Member
Personally have no interest in renting or subscribing to a laggy streaming service(and with my connection it will definitely be laggy) but hey good for Sony.

The amount of bashing is fuckin disgusting!
What's the point of all this shit trying to prove it's not gonna work?? You geniuses did the same with Vita Remote play and guess what? It works pretty fine for most people! Not perfect but it's totally fine, and what's perfect in the first place?

WiiU streams an 854*480 picture locally with dedicated hardware and picture quality is utter shit even on the small gamepad screen, how can this thing work acceptably over the net?

Puru

So it doesn't work if i already own the games on the psn... not interested then.

Seems to work decently enough as long as it's not a precise game like a fighter or hard as hell plateformer though, and it might get better and better as times goes on.

Mung

Correct speed

ibsDEXKPjzdcTK.gif

Meh. Not interested in laggy streamed games tbh.

Looks better than I expected. But yeah, servers are nearby. Might be clunky at first, but will be interesting to see how responsive it becomes over the next 5+ years.

edit: also if it runs close to how remote play is, it would be acceptable for me. Remote play worked out better than I thought it would.

Frolow

Banned
What's the point of all this shit trying to prove it's not gonna work?? You geniuses did the same with Vita Remote play and guess what? It works pretty fine for most people! Not perfect but it's totally fine, and what's perfect in the first place?

Having a discussion about the flaws of a service is "disgusting?" You're acting like the people here have a personal vendetta against Sony.

ramuh

You're probably right but I think if I bought God of War 3 (a Sony game) then I should be able to play that for "free" on a Sony service.

Actually any service other than the one you originally bought the game for (playing on a physical PS3 console) shouldn't be "free" by Sony. It's an additional service you can pay a "convenience" fee to play older games. Now if Sony bricks all current PS3's to make you get this service to play older games then Sony would be required to compensate you somehow.

Having a discussion about the flaws of a service is "disgusting?" You're acting like the people here have a personal vendetta against Sony.

What I know as a discussion involves both bros and cons not just trying to undermine the whole thing before anybody here has the chance to put his hands on the damn thing!

Jinko

Only thing I need. Probably the only thing we won't get.

If this comes for PC, I won't need to buy a piece of Sony hardware again.

I suppose an android tablet with a gamepad would work as an alternative :D

No doubt Sony will release their own streaming box later down the road, cheap next gen gaming.

Vibranium

Banned
Oh man, I hope Sony get this to Canada as soon as it launches in the U.S.....

And Europe too, I haven't forgotten about you gaffers :p

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights

I'm sure there was a lot of network traffic.

Yea.....glad someone bought that up. Its like trying to remote play with my Vita on my PS3 out in the streets on Internet vs doing it in my home on Local. Even using my smartphone....I use an app fall Wifi Analyzer to help select the more open router channel in my apt. Too many times ppl are using the same channel....that might even cause issues.

With streaming gaming, a decent, above average, great router may be needed. Those that use Ethernet...might not even matter. Found out a few years ago I had to get a new wifi router when I kept losing signal in another room.

Dont some TV's have a Game Mode to address game lag? Might need to actually use it for streaming games.

One post of a beta service demo...and ppl are already dismissing it. Welcome to the Internet I guess...

Bert

If I buy a DVD from Tesco I can't stream it on BlinkBox.

Streaming costs money, especially streaming games, as OnLive found out.

Personally, as someone who'd like to subscribe to this, I hope they don't offer free play too much as those server costs will have to be clawed back by paying subscribers.

Jinko

Dont some TV's have a Game Mode to address game lag? Might need to actually use it for streaming games.

You won't be able to make up the difference so easily lol.

One post of a beta service demo...and ppl are already dismissing it. Welcome to the Internet I guess...

For a lot of us this isn't the first time seeing a game steaming service, there is good reason to be cynical.

Latency is latency and there isn't a great deal you can do about it over the internet unless you live next-door to the server.

Not to be a shitte, but I REALLY wish VITA had more buttons!

Is there any reason why the sticks weren't made pressable? I can understand the trouble of jamming L2 and R2 on the device, but it just seems bizarre to leave out L3 and R3, especially with how important they are to FPS games, and how Sony likely intended to use VITA for PS3/PS4 games.

Eusis

It's more than just Netflix though. It's one thing for a server to process pre-recorded video content and stream it one-way to the consumer, but quite a different feat altogether when that server is basically a super computer that has to render, in real time, the video data that needs to be sent, all while receiving input commands from the user potentially thousands of miles away, all within a tiny fraction of a millisecond. Video skipping may be acceptable for watching films but many people wouldn't accept it for gaming. It's one of the reasons why OnLive has struggled up until now.
More importantly video skipping can be avoided with a large enough cache and bandwidth that can be dependent on to match or even exceed the speed at which the video's played. There's a lot of luxuries passive media gets that simply don't apply to something active like games, and it's probably the biggest reason going all streaming is more of a pipedream for games than it is movies, TV, or music. Nevermind that there's always going to be serious enough fans that want to OWN something as each of those have shown, especially TV given that was effectively "streaming only" for decades.
I can understand the trouble of jamming L2 and R2 on the device, but it just seems bizarre to leave out L3 and R3, especially with how important they are to FPS games, and how Sony likely intended to use VITA for PS3/PS4 games.
Easier to break on a portable device I assume, and replacing that's a lot costlier than replacing a stand alone controller.

I know it's still US only, but something like that would NEVER work here in Brazil. Although much better than 5 years before, internet quality here is comparable to some African countries.

Still good to see Sony trying to push it, though.

I know it's still US only, but something like that would NEVER work here in Brazil. Although much better than 5 years before, internet quality here is comparable to some African countries.

Still good to see Sony trying to push it, though.

you're basically also describing a good quarter of the US.

some rural areas are still stuck on dial up.

Cyberia

Being able to play God of War: Ascension on Vita was impressive, especially given how unreliable wi-fi can be at a conference as congested as CES. The novelty may have worn off for PS4 Remote Play users, but the ability to stream full console quality games to the handheld is nonetheless impressive.

PS4 Remote Play impressed me when I reviewed it late last year, but I noted that there was noticeable lag when it came to button inputs--and that's over a local wi-fi connection. Surprisingly, the demo I played at CES performed far better: it felt like there was mild lag while controlling Kratos, but I was able to play through an entire boss (QTEs and all) without a hitch. In terms of video quality, it is evident that the game isn't running natively on Vita. However, even with a little bit of artifacting, God of War was still quite the stunner running on Vita.

http://www.shacknews.com/article/82...view-hands-on-with-sonys-cloud-game-streaming

Chocolate & Vanilla

Fuck Strawberry
PS2/3 games on Vita is all the sales pitch I need. Fuck the US Sony, clearly the UK loves you more
on a per Capita basis
. Let me in on that closed beta lovefest

But what about all the people that bought all the PS1 and PS2 and their PS3 collections? Will there be a way they can play for free after checking to see they were purchased on that account??

V AA D E R

Neo Member
Wow this is absolutely incredible. I had really given up on hand held gaming but this may just justify a Vita purchase. Curious to see how robust the games library will be.

Ovid

no it wont... just like if you purchased a movie in Walmart 5 years ago, you wont be able to download it over itunes for free, or Watch it over Hulu or Netflix.
That sucks. That's one of the main reasons why I bought GTA 5 from the PS Store.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Way better than I expected. Very nice, a great way to really get games going through the whole house or on vacation.

QaaQer

They cannot overcome it completely, I don't care how good their tech is. Best case scenario is if they can get it under 100ms (and that value includes the TV's own input lag, which varies by TV model and calibration settings), assuming the end-user has a decent quality connection. That would be sufficient for most games.

CheapyD, who lives in Tokyo, has a ping time of 3ms. And no that is not missing a digit.

Thrakier

It's not about being perfect but about being much worse compared to what we are used to. Not everyone of is happy to compromise the gaming experience. Instead of getting great new stuff and innovative gaming technology we get shit to play old games in a worse condition. Greatness awaits.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
Yeah this is pretty much onlive's problem too. It's fine for some games but something like a racing game will be unplayable. Just gotta hope cable/telecom companies pick up the pace which may be a few years off.

fatter pipes can certainly improve the image quality, but at its core, the latency is a question of physics.

It's not about being perfect but about being much worse compared to what we are used to. Not everyone of is happy to compromise the gaming experience. Instead of getting great new stuff and innovative gaming technology we get shit to play old games in a worse condition. Greatness awaits.

Game streaming is not innovative gaming technology, got it.

Top Bottom