• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Now announced (PS1/2/3 streaming to TVs/Tablets/Phones/PSes, Summer 2014)

Mung

It's not about being perfect but about being much worse compared to what we are used to. Not everyone of is happy to compromise the gaming experience. Instead of getting great new stuff and innovative gaming technology we get shit to play old games in a worse condition. Greatness awaits.

Wow you have had a hands on already? Any pics?

Septimius

Correct speed

ibsDEXKPjzdcTK.gif

Meh. Not interested in laggy streamed games tbh.

Oh wow. The first one posted was slowed down way more than I thought. I don't like that whoever posted it decided to slow it down.

Will be interesting to see if I'll be able to carry on my The Last of Us game on my PS4 from my PS+ saved file from where I left off. Plus able to play the DLC of the game with my characters saved attributes.
I've kept my PS3 (in storage) especially for the DLC of this one game, so if this works, I'll sell the PS3 console.

What's the chances you reckon?

emko

Yeah this is pretty much onlive's problem too. It's fine for some games but something like a racing game will be unplayable. Just gotta hope cable/telecom companies pick up the pace which may be a few years off.

i don't think latency can be improved much from what we get today unless we have a direct connection to these servers the routing is whats slowing down the ping, best latency we can get i think would be with radio towers that would be faster then fiber optic but i dont think that's something anyone would want to do when most people dont really care for latency.

Ricker

Yeah it is unfortunately. They said they're working hard on getting it ready for EU, but knowing SCEE that could mean it'll be ready in 10 years.

I hope it's North America,since I am in Canada...so I gather if it's not in the OT yet they didn't announce any pricing or if it's part of Plus or what...?

QaaQer

The amount of bashing is fuckin disgusting!
What's the point of all this shit trying to prove it's not gonna work?? You geniuses did the same with Vita Remote play and guess what? It works pretty fine for most people! Not perfect but it's totally fine, and what's perfect in the first place?

I cannot game unless it is 144Hz with less than 2ms of lag. I have the eyes of a fly and the reaction time of a Trap Jaw Ant's mandible.

emko

i wonder how they are running these games? emulation or dedicated hardware?

why not make ps4 be able to run ps1 discs? i know its capable of emulating a ps1. Anyone know if PS4 would be able to emulate a PS2? so far on PC it requires lots of CPU speed so i am guessing the ps4 is not able to do it.

Slime

Banned
I hope it's North America,since I am in Canada...so I gather if it's not in the OT yet they didn't announce any pricing or if it's part of Plus or what...?

I'm not getting my hopes up about this coming to Canada. We didn't get the PSN video store for ages, we still don't have the Live Events app, and they don't let you enter a Canadian postal code on the website. Not looking good. :(

spwolf

It's not about being perfect but about being much worse compared to what we are used to. Not everyone of is happy to compromise the gaming experience. Instead of getting great new stuff and innovative gaming technology we get shit to play old games in a worse condition. Greatness awaits.

i dont get it, are they going to make game streaming mandatory and stop selling PS3/PS4, disable all current games?

if you are real gamer and have money and care about gaming then sure, you will buy PS4 or PC or XB1 or WiiU and buy $60 game.

If you just want to check out few games without investing $500 to start, or if you want better games for your tablet, phone or TV, then you will be able to play few games for $10 per month, without any extra commitment.

It is just like the Netflix - no, playing Netflix SD stream on 40" chinese TV is nothing like watching a movie in Imax or BluRay @ 85" 4K TV, but it is not "shit" and people love it.

Way most people watch Netflix is far bigger compromise than streaming PS3 games on Bravia TV.

To really make this work, Sony needs to release a grip and OS support for the Vita that adds real buttons for R2, L2, R3, L3. This is the single biggest hurdle. Some games play well (AC4, Knack), but others are really hurt by the lack of buttons (KZ:SF).

Very true. If PSNow works well, and they release a vita tablet with all the necessary buttons, I would consider rebuying the machine.

Damn MS keep it competitive. When Sony's first party devs get off their asses and release what the people want it might be a blood bath. I just don't get MS...how in the hell do you hype all this cloud shit and have Sony beat you to it. Tighten up MS

I don't have a source for this but someone in this thread mentioned that Canada is not included in the Beta, and it will release at a different time in Canada (not Summer). I think he got that information from the playstation blog.

spwolf

Yeah it is unfortunately. They said they're working hard on getting it ready for EU, but knowing SCEE that could mean it'll be ready in 10 years.

Infrastructure is not that big of a problem, it is just a lot of work at the same time... both setting it up and marketing it.

Sony is not going to build their own data centers. Heck they might not even host their own servers. There are hundreds of companies providing great infrastructure for internet services such as this.

Once USA is working reasonably well, they will start working on getting it working in Europe. Since most of the Europe is close by, you can cover many countries with same infrastructure.

People love dedicated servers for multiplayer, swear by them and then same people think that somehow this will have huge latency... no, it will not, it will be less than your average dedicated server multiplayer gaming experience on consoles. Due to higher fees, they can provide better infrastructure (more server farms = less latency as chance is that they will be closer to you).

Vibranium

Banned
I don't have a source for this but someone in this thread mentioned that Canada is not included in the Beta, and it will release at a different time in Canada (not Summer). I think he got that information from the playstation blog.

Ok, at least they have plans to release it Canada, I can wait.

But I will have to see what the input lag and quality is like, hopefully they get it in good shape. Pricing is important too.

Nags

Banned
And here I thought at least PS1 classics would just use traditional emulation on PS4.
Well, sounds good for anyone interested. I kept all my playstation gaming devices through the years so I most likely won't have a need for it.

sono

Are they any details on the pricing plans for this, I have some questions

what about games you already own
will there be pricing for a number of games by type
a number per month, per year
by platform game is from
age of game
will PS+ get further discounts

Thrakier

i dont get it, are they going to make game streaming mandatory and stop selling PS3/PS4, disable all current games?

if you are real gamer and have money and care about gaming then sure, you will buy PS4 or PC or XB1 or WiiU and buy $60 game.

If you just want to check out few games without investing $500 to start, or if you want better games for your tablet, phone or TV, then you will be able to play few games for $10 per month, without any extra commitment.

It is just like the Netflix - no, playing Netflix SD stream on 40" chinese TV is nothing like watching a movie in Imax or BluRay @ 85" 4K TV, but it is not "shit" and people love it.

Way most people watch Netflix is far bigger compromise than streaming PS3 games on Bravia TV.

The impact on experience while streaming a movie is not nearly as big as while streaming a game. Your comparison is off.

Also, I don't care about "people". I care about me. What I want. I want is break through technology, VR, great new technology, responsive games with high framerates, great graphics, superb gameplay. This is the technology I am waiting for, this is what I want invest my money, and far mor important, my lifetime in.

Playing my old games again in a laggy lowres version? No, thank you. Why it still affects me? Because Sony clearly decided to put a lot of money in it which is always missing in another research area. It was rumored we'll see new VR technology. Instead - we got this. Congrats.

Top Bottom