• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation Plus increasing in price to $59.99 usd/$69.99 cad starting Sept 22

TriEdgeFury

Neo Member
Thats a damn shame imo. Quality of games we've been getting as decreased as of lately. If I'm gonna have to pay more I want more AAA games and more exclusive features as well as discounts.

Allforce

I had no idea so many people on GAF paid MSRP for these subs. I haven't paid over 40 bucks for a year of Live or PS+ in probably 7 years.

Even my non-gaming family members with kids know you buy a card on eBay for cheap when it's time to renew. You can't go 48 hours without someone selling subs for cheap.

ironcreed

Banned
I gave in and subbed again back in June so I could get back into ESO. Thankfully I am good until next summer. Pretty shitty, though.

etta

my hard graphic balls
LOL!

If they had been giving good titles on PS+ then they could've justified it, but quality has only decreased from the PS3 days.

Haha this is hilarious.

TheFlow

Banned
like someone else here has said there are sales that will bring it back to 40-50 bucks. So I am not too worried.

and are you guys really planning to buy in bulk? like why

Venuspower

Is that for US and CAD only or did they announce that for EU too?

If they are going to give us AAA every month for PS4 I am totally fine with it.
If not... bye PS+.

EmiPrime

If you're smart and stock up when there are deals going on this shouldn't have any effect on you.

I got a year of PSN and £20 PSN credit for £36 total a few months ago.

Blobbers

Here we go with the hate train, SIIIIGH

Comparison between downloads with PSPlus and without PSPlus:

Without PSPlus
-start downloading game
-not max speed
-slows down to a crawl
-pause and resume (sometimes it works and the speed picks up and sometimes it doesn't)
-if it doesn't fret not for there is another trick
-turn standby mode on, then turn the PS4 back on
-rinse and repeat until the download is over
Conclusion: you basically have to babysit the download for majority of the time

With PSPlus
-start downloading game
-not max speed
-slows down to a crawl
-pause and resume (sometimes it works and the speed picks up and sometimes it doesn't)
-if it doesn't fret not for there is another trick
-turn standby mode on, then turn the PS4 back on
-rinse and repeat until the download is over
Conclusion: you basically have to babysit the download for majority of the time

so please keep these massive differences in mind the next time you decide to shit on GodStationPlus

Good going Sony

Also the "free" games mostly suck lol

PS Now included would be great, and be totally worth the increase.

It's never going to happen though.

Yeah, you'd hope they'd do something like 10 hours of game streaming a month or something like that, but there's no way it'll happen.

I don't mind the price increase, since it IS the first time they're doing it, but it does seem to me that, with equal pricing, Microsoft looks a bit better. I'm invested in PS4, but I think I'm going to make it a point to start saving for a One.

CrayToes

Fucking hell. They know they have us by the balls. Such absolute horse shit unless they're giving us something in return.

Bold One

Not like this, Sony

BXQH7Bx.gif

Damn, should have bought 2 years for $60 on eBay a few days back

I probably won't renew if the games are still struggling by June of 2017

Cocky Sony back 😎

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
#4thepayers

It always astounds me how little backlash Sony received for introducing the charge this gen.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
providing those blockbuster PS+ games and world-class account security and customer service aren't cheap

Nzyme32

Suppose it was only a matter of time really. I would say games wise, PS+ appears to me more valuable than XBL Gold imo

The new pricing reflects the current market conditions while enabling us to continue providing exceptional value to our members.

So is that a fancy way of saying there won't actually be a change in the "value" / stuff being given via PS+? And what of the UK sterling folk and other areas?

#4thepayers

It always astounds me how little backlash Sony received for introducing the charge this gen.

Well that depends on if they actually improve what is give via ps+, however that doesn't appear to be the case.

And on the second point, the charade of the whole response to MS was an easy mask for the issue. Not many people complained because that was still a far better offering that MS, which was ultimately the way most people were looking at the situation rather than comparison with other platforms

Petrae

When you're the top dog, you can rip off-- I mean, charge whatever you want for your online service. Microsoft did it when it was top dog late in Gen7, and now Sony is following suit.

A 20% price hike (along with continued game rental offerings that I have zero interest in) means that I'll be remaining a non-PS+ user. Been without the service for 5 months and haven't missed a thing.

I've since stopped subbing, but this is really not encouraging me to resub. I'll maybe buy a month when there's a sale with a bunch of games I want, idk.

BumRush

Eh, not that big of a deal to me. I have two 1-year cards bought already and I honestly don't mind the extra $0.80+ a month. PS+ has some months that don't blow me away personally, but I've discovered some of my absolute favorite games with it...games I never would have played otherwise (e.g. guacamelee, muramasa, valiant hearts, rocket league etc. are all games i NEVER would have played if it weren't for plus)

Dumb. Annoys existing customers. Higher barrier of entry for new customers. Just because you can doesn't mean you should.

I'm sure PSN will finally let me use my internet connection to near its fullest capabilities when I'm downloading stuff now though. /s

Meier

Absolute trash decision. They better offer retail games and other things to make up for it. If you're going to charge the same as XBL, the result better be on par.

Fewr

Is that for US and CAD only or did they announce that for EU too?

If they are going to give us AAA every month for PS4 I am totally fine with it.
If not... bye PS+.

Either this or PSNow.

At least they should have had a couple of really good months in a row to soften the blow.

Nyoro SF

Well this is my last year of PS Plus anyway and the last year of my membership thanks to that black friday sale from years ago. This just makes the decision a lot easier to quit.

Huh, guess i will try to complete Bloodbrone sooner rather than later before my PS plus lapse. Will not renew after that unless there is a huge promotion or something .

I don't get it. It's an extra $10 a year. Why are people thinking it's such a monumental deal here?

To many , the offerings have been mostly shit so far and paying $10 more does not help. I planned to not renew even before but this ensure that i better get the only online game i like to play out of the way since i have no intention of paying even more to play online lol.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
Thats a damn shame imo. Quality of games we've been getting as decreased as of lately. If I'm gonna have to pay more I want more AAA games and more exclusive features as well as discounts.
didnt we just get nba2k16 and furi? and a few flash sales?

I'm done paying for online, I'm waiting on my XBL sub to expire (barely even using it; I had stacked codes years ago for so little I'm still running on them). xD

I've not made use of online on PS4 for a very long time. So I think I'll just cancel auto-renewal and buy some sub-cards before the hike.

Dlacy13g

Hey here is your PS4 slim you all wanted... and a price hike for PSPlus you wanted too... I think Sony is sneaking out the price hike hoping it gets buried by all the news on the PS4 slim coming. The price hike would likely be the hot topic for weeks without the hardware news hitting.

Meh, this sucks but I stopped paying for it over a year ago anyways. This just cements it for me. Having both consoles I refuse to pay for two separate online subs as well. May let Gold expire this year too. The Division and Destiny are the only online games I play right now. Everything else is SP anyways.

Thabass

Gold Member
Wow. What's going on with Sony lately? They're really dropping the ball here. The quality of the free games have never been good for PS4 (maybe a few times it's been good) and now the price hike?

I really hope this means better quality titles in the future.

Top Bottom