• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR Launch Thread: Welcome to The Real World

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wollan

Nothing on the level of Rez, or now, RE7 and you know it.
It released mere 3 months ago. There's over 50 titles available right now.
Compare that to i.e Nintendo Switch which has 80 titles in development.

Many high quality games like Headmaster, Battlezone, Tethered, Rush of Blood, Thumper...

BriGuy

I tried to play Batman yesterday and the set up was aggravating as all hell.

"Stand on the bat symbol."
"Stand on the bat symbol"
"Out of range"
"Adjust head position so visor is in this box"
"Out of range"
"Grow two feet taller so visor is positioned in this box"
"Out of range"

I got as far as having the utility belt strapped on across my field of vision because I couldn't properly calibrate everything and said fuck it. I gotta be honest, aside from Thumper and that free platformer in the playroom demo, I think I hate VR.

DjRalford

Many high quality games like Headmaster, Battlezone, Tethered, Rush of Blood, Thumper...

Yup, plenty of games, for all types of players too.

I've not even started werewolves within yet, and still need to complete tethered which is a completely charming game.

I'd say for something that is still very much in its infancy it has a fantastic selection, just because something isnt releasing every week it doesn't mean its been dumped.

"Out of range"
"Out of range"
"Out of range"

I got as far as having the utility belt strapped on across my field of vision because I couldn't properly calibrate everything and said fuck it. I gotta be honest, aside from Thumper and that free platformer in the playroom demo, I think I hate VR.

Sounds to me like you need to reposition and setup the camera properly for your plaing space.

Fisty

"Out of range"
"Out of range"
"Out of range"

Sounds like you need to move your camera and possibly stand further away from it. Try messing with the calibration and take those distance disclaimers seriously

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
So, I've been out of the VR scene for a while.
Now, I love the PSVR, but as Sony is want to do, I felt they abandoned this thing quicker than anything they've ever done before. Heck, I honestly forgot I even owned one until my wife's nephew came over and asked if he could play the Kitchen demo.

Now with RE7 supposedly being amazing and even better with VR, I'm totally back on board. So yeah, what's new? I haven't used it at all since about a month after it came out, so there's that.

Also, I have PS4 Pro, but that's in the bedroom where the 4K TV is while my base PS4 is in the living room where the bigger television is, as well as the space to do VR properly. Now, is the upgrade from base to Pro that much of a difference with the PSVR or is it negligible at best? The only reason I ask is it's kind of a hassle to move the Pro from the bedroom to the living room and then back all so I could play a handful of games, if that.

They never abandoned PSVR. The thing just came out 3 months ago lol.

Picked up one of these to hopefully help with the marathon sessions... sweaty VR sucks

00000003503207_A01.jpg

Yes it looks stupid and unwieldy, but hey that's VR right now lol

Will report my findings after RE7 marathon tonight

Dude. This is ridiculous. How do you even breathe through your nose?

Why not go for something like this instead?

pqpfszjzmjblticul7dg.jpg

To be fair, I don't know if this is available yet, but it seems way more efficient than something that covers most of your head lol

sinkfla87

Picked up one of these to hopefully help with the marathon sessions... sweaty VR sucks

00000003503207_A01.jpg

Yes it looks stupid and unwieldy, but hey that's VR right now lol

Will report my findings after RE7 marathon tonight

Hahaha, it looks like you're trying to rob a pawn shop in VR. I feel your pain though, I get sweaty if I play too long but that might be associated with the nausea as well :(. I have GCU and still am too broke currently for RE7.

Fellow GCU/best buy shoppers, are your local stores doing a midnight release for RE7?

ryushe

Check out I Expect You to Die, Surgeon Simulator, and Werewolves Within. I have positive experiences with the first two, and people have been loving Werewolves quite a bit
Thanks a lot you two.

almost all of which has been launch games...

That's ridiculous. Not every game needs to be AAA.
Sony have done a great job supplying software for this platform.
Nor am I saying they need to be, but Sony has NOT been putting their best foot forward in regards to the PSVR.

Listen, I'm not hating or trying to argue. I love the PSVR and its potential, but I feel like Sony has been kind of radio silent with this thing and I'm worried Sony's going to Vita this thing.

Fisty

Dude. This is ridiculous. How do you even breathe through your nose?

Why not go for something like this instead?

pqpfszjzmjblticul7dg.jpg

To be fair, I don't know if this is available yet, but it seems way more efficient than something that covers most of your head lol

I am going to modify it to not cover the nostrils, you can easily breathe through the material, but it does catch some of your exhale and hold it close to your face, which can cause the screen to fog up. Not breathing into the fabric should fix that. The issue with big bulky things would be that it would be even more of a pain in the ass to seat properly on your face to get the image to look clear. This face sock thing works well in keeping the rubber off your face and also putting a little extra cover to keep down light bleed.

Trust me I realize how ridiculous it is and stuff, it was really just a whim that I purchased it with credit from a refund to see if it would work out. Tonight will be the true test.

Listen, I'm not hating. I love the PSVR and its potential, but I feel like Sony has been kind of radio silent with this thing and I'm worried Sony's going to Vita this thing.

They might do that but at this point in time to think the whole radio silence thing is Sony doing a Vita is really damn peculiar, especially when this is norm for all hardware releases. It is far worse on the Rift and Vive at the moment where it is pretty much entirely supported by small companies with Oculus and Valve saying very little especially on software coming from them (they are both noisy about hardware though). One thing people should never expect in a first year is lots of noise about content, and those that do make lots of noise often have very little substance, just looking at what games have been canceled which were announced in launch years is ridiculous and for devs to pull stuff out of their ass costs money, which isn't going to be spent on PR for fledgling hardware when the dev costs are going to be restricted.

I am going to modify it to not cover the nostrils, you can easily breathe through the material, but it does catch some of your exhale and hold it close to your face, which can cause the screen to fog up. Not breathing into the fabric should fix that. The issue with big bulky things would be that it would be even more of a pain in the ass to seat properly on your face to get the image to look clear. This face sock thing works well in keeping the rubber off your face and also putting a little extra cover to keep down light bleed.

Trust me I realize how ridiculous it is and stuff, it was really just a whim that I purchased it with credit from a refund to see if it would work out. Tonight will be the true test.

Keep us updated! And feel free to provide pics. haha

gamerMan

Check out I Expect You to Die, Surgeon Simulator, and Werewolves Within. I have positive experiences with the first two, and people have been loving Werewolves quite a bit

Does Surgeon Simulator work good now? I heard that it was broken.

Fisty

Does Surgeon Simulator work good now? I heard that it was broken.

Yep, it actually wasn't broken before, they just doubled the distance you moved to make twice the speed/distance relative to your movements. They now have "absolute" mode and it's the default. It's much better now, had a blast with it

can somebod y that has played RE 7 on PSVR post the best settings for comfort (RE7 menu settings?) I will get my game tomorrow, and would like to start right away. thanks

I don't have the full game, but the Midnight update to the Beginning Hour demo had a room where you could check out your VR settings before starting the game.

I assume they've got something similar in the full game.

They never abandoned PSVR. The thing just came out 3 months ago lol.

This needs to be borne in mind. I (foolishly) posted in the "PSVR only has vapourware" thread, but was drowned out by the "PSVR haz no gaemz", "it's Move, Vita, 3D all over again" echo chamber stuff.

Not everything that comes out is good; there's some crap, but as hardware launches go I feel like there's been a lot of choice and variety. There was a lot of day 1 content, and a sustained flow for quite a while, but that can't continue indefinitely. A lot of those games were pent-up supply aiming for release window.

We've had the launch glut, and a steady stream (Eagle Flight, IEYTD, Werewolves, X-WING, Jackal, Robinson, etc.), now we're getting RE7 this week and Star Trek in March. I don't see an immediate cause for concern.

Maybe in the future Sony ditch PSVR, but there isn't evidence of it yet. It's just too soon to call it, however tempting it may be.

I've tried to avoid comparing the PSVR launch lineup with the Switch, for fear of the backlash. But it is telling the apparent enthusiasm for a 5 game lineup (including cross-gen and 'party games') vs the FUD around PSVR's library of, what, 40 games? Anyone think Nintendo is sending the Switch out to die because of its library?

Tiktaalik

I was on the bubble of getting PSVR at launch, but decided last minute to wait. Now with this talk of RE7 having a fantastic VR mode, I'm interested again.

The one thing that gives me pause is the future though. What is on the horizon that I should be excited about? I recall there was that thread a few days ago that suggested that a lot of PSVR titles seemed to be vaporware. I recognize though that we're in the weird post launch glut. Before E3 it's really a bit too early to make hard claims about support.

I was on the bubble of getting PSVR at launch, but decided last minute to wait. Now with this talk of RE7 having a fantastic VR mode, I'm interested again.

The one thing that gives me pause is the future though. What is on the horizon that I should be excited about? I recall there was that thread a few days ago that suggested that a lot of PSVR titles seemed to be vaporware. I recognize though that we're in the weird post launch glut. Before E3 it's really a bit too early to make hard claims about support.

The main games I'm waiting for are RE7, Dirt Rally (February) and Star Trek (March).

I'm holding out hope for Elite: Dangerous in VR, and Farpoint.

DjRalford

The main games I'm waiting for are RE7, Dirt Rally (February) and Star Trek (March).

I'm holding out hope for Elite: Dangerous in VR, and Farpoint.

I played Elite in VR on my PC with the PSVR the other day, awesome awesome experience, everything makes you feel so damn tiny but i foud it far easier to fly as you can judge distances etc better and track the other ships round your canopy windows rather than relying just on the radar.

alienator

Heres 5 minutes of psvr pro footage from my living room.. obviously spoiler'ish if u havent played it yet.. just +/- 20 minutes in the game. i dont know if i can finish this in vr.. its too much. and yet i want to keep on playing it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6dHURPRvR5U

my gameshop had a pre-order bonus containing a diaper..

well. its full now.

16179792_10155897616626164_8507599148026254049_o.jpg

somme

There are a tonne of quality games out for PSVR already. I think people are also forgetting, or not realising, that short titles are a lot more fun in VR than they would normally be.

Jimmy_liv

Heres 5 minutes of psvr pro footage from my living room.. obviously spoiler'ish if u havent played it yet.. just +/- 20 minutes in the game. i dont know if i can finish this in vr.. its too much. and yet i want to keep on playing it.

well. its full now.

That looks absolutely terrifying. Harsher than I could ever have imagined.
Jesus fookin Christ!

I so want to play this in VR but honestly not sure if I can. Might try to get the wife to sit with me.
I'm 40 years old, it's a bloody game! But man that has honestly put the shits up me.

bumpkin

well. its full now.

Hahaha... I want this game!

Without giving too much away, what is putting it over the edge for you? Do blood and guts movies make you sick?

Worse than Rush of Blood? That game made me jump and left me with sweaty palms by the end of the session more than once. Love it though!

Rush of blood will feel like childs play after playing the RE7 demo, not sure about the full game.

I was in the same boat as you with until dawn but going back to it just feels like playing a fun shooting gallery now that ive played he RE7 demo.

There are a tonne of quality games out for PSVR already. I think people are also forgetting, or not realising, that short titles are a lot more fun in VR than they would normally be.

Exactly. Many of the digital only games are amazing and rich in content for like 10-20$.

I'm really happy for you horror guys which are about to play RE7 in VR. I just can't handle it because I'm a pussy when it comes to that genre, so I hope you're in for a treat.

gamerMan

So, I've been out of the VR scene for a while.
Now, I love the PSVR, but as Sony is want to do, I felt they abandoned this thing quicker than anything they've ever done before. Heck, I honestly forgot I even owned one until my wife's nephew came over and asked if he could play the Kitchen demo.

Sony doesn't have much first party support for it. Let's face it, Sony has never been consistent with first party stuff even on the PS4. It launched the PS4 with Killzone and Knack and didn't have a first party game for months.

Sony's lifeblood has been strong 3rd party support. Some of the digital only games have been great, but the problem with the PSVR is there hasn't been any big 3rd parties supporting it. I think we should wait until E3 to see whether it will be viable. Like the Switch, I don't think 3rd party will jump on board until the install base is higher. Resident Evil 7 is a start but it is not an exclusive VR game so it minimizes the risk a bit.

At any rate, I feel like I have already gotten my money's worth. While VR is the coolest thing in gaming right now, I feel it is not ready for the mainstream. The games that work the best are the ones where you are stationary.

With any game where you are moving around, you are going to get really nauseous. I can't wait to try Resident Evil, but I know it's going to make me feel very sick. I don't want to play with the limited movement option because that's not as cool. While it's in its infancy, I hope more people pick it up when it becomes available, because that means we will get more games from 3rd parties.

bumpkin

Rush of blood will feel like childs play after playing the RE7 demo, not sure about the full game.

I was in the same boat as you with until dawn but going back to it just feels like playing a fun shooting gallery now that ive played he RE7 demo.
One particular boss who gets a parting shot (don't want to spoil anything for anyone), that shit gave me the heebie jeebies. I was cringing and squirming, full-on NOPE mode. So much freaking fun though.

Bebpo

Banned

"Out of range"
"Out of range"
"Out of range"

I had the same experience but I just ignored all the calibration and it worked fine. Can totally relate with the grow two feet taller to fit in box thing. It's like they think VR is only for 8 feet tall people wtf

sn00zer

"Out of range"
"Out of range"
"Out of range"

Rotate the camera?

gogojira

I had no issues with Batman. I was skeptical of paying $20 for such a short experience but thought it was 100 percent worth it in the end.

Burglekutt

I just finished Until Dawn ROB today and the last level is some surreal shit. I was totally blown away by it. We need more of that in VR. On a separate note, Fuck GIANT SPIDERS.

I had no issues with Batman. I was skeptical of paying $20 for such a short experience but thought it was 100 percent worth it in the end.

Yeah its well worth the money I thought. Incredibly polished and one of the best experiences on PSVR. Looks so fucking great. Everyone should buy it and support the rocksteady.

alienator

Hahaha... I want this game!

Without giving too much away, what is putting it over the edge for you? Do blood and guts movies make you sick?

No, im a huge (41y old) horror movie freak, ive seen it all.

Its the tension and the feeling of being right there in the house, and absolutely not knowing whats next.. the sound design with all the stumbling noises, and the claustrophobic design of the house..
That beginning part where u have to go thru the water with only your head sticking out and the ceiling right above u... i knew a body would pop up.. the bubbles.. even the waves of the water.. god forbid there is a section ala 'The Descent' in this... crawling thru a real small tunnel.. :D

Kalentan

As I said in the other thread. Resident Evil 7's VR will be a testing point for many VR users. It is the first experience I can say that will test players to see how much they can handle in VR. I'm bursting at my limits and I'm not even an hour in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom