• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR Launch Thread: Welcome to The Real World

Status
Not open for further replies.

Belfast

As I said in the other thread. Resident Evil 7's VR will be a testing point for many VR users. It is the first experience I can say that will test players to see how much they can handle in VR. I'm bursting at my limits and I'm not even an hour in.

Because its scary or are you getting nausea? I've had good experiences with VR to date. Quick turning with the right stick can disorient me a little, usually when I start playing a game, but I have had zero sickness with RE7 so far. Makes me hopeful for more full-fledged games in this style.

RPS37

I tried out the Spotify/driveclub idea with the demo last night and it was a fantastic experience.
I plan on picking up Thumper, Driveclub, Star Wars, and RE7 over the next few days.

ffvorax

Yesterday I played again Robinson for 30m and then I had to stop... I think it is the most "nausea" inducing game I've played right now.. probably for the free movement and for the fact that I didn't played VR for some time lately... the game has some really nice Wow moments, but the puzzles are just so-so... overall i'm enjoyng it.

Grinchy

Banned
Wow, RE7 is just awesome so far. I had to stop playing after about an hour. It's just so intense in VR. I like how they changed things up from the demo so that even if you played the demo a ton and the beginning has the same areas, it still feels new and still puts you completely on edge.

Fox1304

Yeah, RE7 in VR is the real deal.
Controls are fine on default (my wife, who has trouble with FPS generally, had no issue moving through the game), no nausea or else.
Game is very immersive when it's dark, and scary as f**k. When your body freezes for seconds before going down some dark stairs, you know that the setup works well.
Played for about an hour, and some moments are pretty great, quite violent though.
Can't wait to descend more into madness!
Actually, I'll wait for my wife to play :D

Hope RE7 flies off the shelves and 99% of PSVR owners buy it! Gonna pick my copy up tomorrow, my body is ready!

Looking forward to E3, Sony needs to announce some new stuff from their own studios, because there's not much to look forward to.
We're not even sure if we can play all of GT Sport on PSVR.

wondermega

DRIVECLUBVR is good, it's a little on the low res but the action and immersion is one of the best, here's a race from last night with another gaffer DHC-Shannow

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=URGReOmHJLw

yeah I really was impressed by the demo. Picked up the disc tonight plus a driving wheel. Disclaimer, this was the last time I've used a console driving wheel so i am expecting something of an upgrade..

colecovision-wheel-controller.png

yeah I really was impressed by the demo. Picked up the disc tonight plus a driving wheel. Disclaimer, this was the last time I've used a console driving wheel so i am expecting something of an upgrade..

So you never witnessed force feedback before? Then you're in for a real treat!

You're going to love it, what wheel did you grab? I've the G29 and keep meaning to set it up.

Shannow has uploaded his view of the race so here they are side to side

http://youtubedoubler.com/?video1=URGReOmHJLw&start1=13&video2=kF5oxG8r65I&start2=5&authorName=3Way

wondermega

You're going to love it, what wheel did you grab? I've the G29 and keep meaning to set it up.

Shannow has uploaded his view of the race so here they are side to side

http://youtubedoubler.com/?video1=URGReOmHJLw&start1=13&video2=kF5oxG8r65I&start2=5&authorName=3Way

I got the Thrustmaster T150 from Best Buy. I wasn't really keen to spend more than 2 bills and the only other option they had was like 2X as much? Looks pretty nice though, I will give it a spin either tomorrow or over the weekend. Still very new to PSVR (and haven't been into much console gaming in years, honestly). Besides Drive Club I also picked up BattleZone and Rush of Blood (cheers to whoever posted about the Best Buy sale the other day!). Last week I got Pinball (I love it!) and Rez (I had to!) I think I am good with buying stuff for this thing for a little while... I'll see if anyone at work has anything I can borrow.

I really want to get my hand on some PC VR solution at some point this year to do some development.. right now I am just concentrating on enjoying what is out there in the mainstream consumer market, and this definitely seems like the way to go. Super digging it so far!

SonnyBoy

All,

Now that PSVR is back in stock, I think I'm ready to make the plunge. I have a launch console that I want to trade-in towards Pro model for the best VR fidelity.

Is there a way for me to transfer the PT demo to the new system? Or is that purely a lost cause? Thanks in advance.

All,

Now that PSVR is back in stock, I think I'm ready to make the plunge. I have a launch console that I want to trade-in towards Pro model for the best VR fidelity.

Is there a way for me to transfer the PT demo to the new system? Or is that purely a lost cause? Thanks in advance.

Two options, backup and restore, or download via proxy

https://twitter.com/DaveP2611/status/782209045369413633

Details in that tweet

All,

Remove ALL your games, you can download it again from the (web)store. It decreases the ps4 backup image size severely. Just don't remove P.T.
Then backup the system to a external drive and you're done. Ow, don't forget to sync your trophies if this isn't done automatically.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Jesus effing christ. RE7 is a PSVR killer app. Its a reason to buy a PSVR.

SonnyBoy

Remove ALL your games, you can download it again from the (web)store. It decreases the ps4 backup image size severely. Just don't remove P.T.
Then backup the system to a external drive and you're done. Ow, don't forget to sync your trophies if this isn't done automatically.

Two options, backup and restore, or download via proxy

https://twitter.com/DaveP2611/status/782209045369413633

Details in that tweet

Thank you both for the advice.

swnny

Today is the launch day for PSVR in my country (Bulgaria) and got my pre-ordered back in march unit.
Hooked it up to to PS4 Pro, installed the demo disk, dowloaded few more demos and I'm ready for tonight's party with few friends.
But from my hour or so testing, I couldn't managed to correctly adjust the focus/eye-to-eye/etc and still getting kind of a blurry (unfocused) image which gives me a headache... Any pro tips how to properly set it up and with what I can experiment for best results?

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Today is the launch day for PSVR in my country (Bulgaria) and got my pre-ordered back in march unit.
Hooked it up to to PS4 Pro, installed the demo disk, dowloaded few more demos and I'm ready for tonight's party with few friends.
But from my hour or so testing, I couldn't managed to correctly adjust the focus/eye-to-eye/etc and still getting kind of a blurry (unfocused) image which gives me a headache... Any pro tips how to properly set it up and with what I can experiment for best results?

Move up the back of the headset so that its not directly below your head. Thats how I get it to the shapest setup.

Wollan

For me the front-part seemed (against initial expectations) to go unusually high up and the back-end almost down to my neck. Now that I know it takes mere five seconds to adjust.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Are people standing up to play RE7 or sitting down?

I tried standing for the demo for max immersion but it got too tiring and the fear was REALLY fucking getting to me.

Okada

I tried standing for the demo for max immersion but it got too tiring and the fear was REALLY fucking getting to me.

Just came in to discuss this actually.

I find standing up increases the immersion massively and it's almost exclusively how I've been playing. However there are some quirks with it that all really surround where the game has you centered.

If you've physically turned around from the centered posotion while playing (which for me happens very naturally and works great even when facing the complete opposite direction to the camera) and a cutscene/predefined animation is about to happen, the game's camera will cut back to where you last centered and you're often left facing a weird angle until you hold options again. It also messes up the quick 180. Not a big deal but can be a bit annoying when you've been grabbed by a Baker or something and you end up staring through their arm etc.

I'm absolutely loving it though. I really hope we can get a few more of these full game experiences as soon as possible.

Toma

VR people...RE7...analog or digital turning?

You might as well try yourself, but 45° seems perfect, while analog leads to a good amount of queasiness for me. I really dont mind the 45° angle, as you can easily look around with head movements, so it doesnt feel very limiting.

For me:
Standing for the first 20 minutes to "walk on the spot" in sync with the movements of the character to get used to VR, then sitting down.

😳 RE7 is too intense in VR. I played a bit of it last night before I went to bed and I was too scared to move at times. Easily the most immersive experience I've had in all my years of gaming. Those with weak hearts should avoid this game in VR at all cost.

ffvorax

I hope all this "RE7 VR is so scary" it's not like the "Rush of blood" is so scary... 'cause I found RoB absolutely not scary.... so now my expectations on RE7 are incredibly high! :)

I'll try the demo as soon I finish Robinson...

I hope all this "RE7 VR is so scary" it's not like the "Rush of blood" is so scary... 'cause I found RoB absolutely not scary.... so now my expectations on RE7 are incredibly high! :)

RoB is child's play compared to RE7. I wasn't scared in RoB, it was a fun experience for me. RE7 on the other hand is pure nightmare fuel and unsettling. 😳Proceed at your own risk.

ffvorax

RoB is child's play compared to RE7. I wasn't scared in RoB, it was a fun experience for me. RE7 on the other hand is pure nightmare fuel and unsettling. 😳Proceed at your own risk.

I hope to have enough time to try it this weekend then... :\
I would love an Alien Isolation VR edition, that would be like... I don't know... it was fucking scary even on the tv... I can't imagine it on VR... best horror experience ever probably! :D

I appreciated RoB too, I just talked about the scaryness level! :)

Toma

I hope to have enough time to try it this weekend then... :\
I would love an Alien Isolation VR edition, that would be like... I don't know... it was fucking scary even on the tv... I can't imagine it on VR... best horror experience ever probably! :D

I appreciated RoB too, I just talked about the scaryness level! :)

Certain parts feel very comparable to Alien.

Mendrox

As I said, Rush of Blood is a game for kids in comparison. The sound in Resident Evil 7 is amazing and everything looks crazy good and is just pure horror. It's so good that I won't be able to complete this game in VR. I have no problems playing it in normal 2D, but as soon as I play it in VR my heart and brain go "get out now, save yourself" which I only experienced with real life danger.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
Was trying to use Jaunt VR and it asks me to delete it and redownload... it's up-to-date already.. so I did that.. and still says to delete and redownload.

Anyone else?

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
As I said, Rush of Blood is a game for kids in comparison. The sound in Resident Evil 7 is amazing and everything looks crazy good and is just pure horror. It's so good that I won't be able to complete this game in VR. I have no problems playing it in normal 2D, but as soon as I play it in VR my heart and brain go "get out now, save yourself" which I only experienced with real life danger.

Which is scarier RE7 in VR or PT?

bumpkin

Now RE7 has shown Capcom has the chops to do VR well, I'd give them cash monies to be able to play through the original again on PSVR.

This first person view test linked from an article on Eurogamer gives a taste of the awesomeness https://youtu.be/IjX6RFbicv0

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...-re-imagines-the-classic-game-in-first-person
I saw that clip yesterday, and yeah, I'd buy it at a high price too. I would quad dip - I already bought REmake on 'Cube, Wii and PS4 - in a heartbeat if they included a VR mode. Hell, even just release a paid patch (say, $9.99?) that adds a VR more to the HD Remaster and I'd bite.

D23

Everyone that owns psvr should go buy re7.. its the killer vr game IMO, and plus you are supporting capcom for being super amazing. I hope more devs will follow capcom when it comes to making a VR game

If you have bandwidth caps you might want to tread lightly and do a heavier backup of games.

Mendrox

Which is scarier RE7 in VR or PT?

Like normal PT?

You cannot compare it. I am not joking when I say that my body really wanted to just quit cause of the pressure. I was really afraid of my life here and there and not because of cheap jump scares like in other games. I am literally afraid. It's PT times 10?

I really really don't recommend Resident Evil VR for people that have weak hearts or heart problems. The game will fuck some people up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom