• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR Launch Thread: Welcome to The Real World

Status
Not open for further replies.

dakun

i really can't believe it.
i bought the PSVR not expecting it to outshine my HTC Vive. Yes graphically I'm able to do much more with my Vive and the tracking on the controllers is way better with the basestations.
But when it comes to functionality and ease of use. The PSVR is absolutely miles ahead.
Also i have a dominant eye which alot of time made playing with the Vive somewhat blurry. I don't know what magic they did with this but i have absolutely no vision problem on the PSVR. That alone for me is a reason i'll probably play more games on the PSVR than i originally thought. Another thing i find interesting is that even though it's not running as high a resolution as the Vive, it actually looks better to me. (not graphically i mean the screen)

The only thing lacking right now are games. But it's launch day so that's not a surprise.

I started ignoring my PS4 the last couple of months but this brought me right back in. I'm actually looking forward to get a PS4 Pro.

I'm surprised at the reactions I'm seeing. I thought it would be a mixed bag of 'so-so' and 'good' but it appears people are being blown away by it. Jesus, now I need to start saving.

I am actually preferring PSVR to my Oculus Rift, which is a bit of a surprise considering the Rift is technically better. I'm not sure what it is. Maybe it's just comfort but the games are a lot of fun as well. I am really digging this.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
I'm surprised at the reactions I'm seeing. I thought it would be a mixed bag of 'so-so' and 'good' but it appears people are being blown away by it. Jesus, now I need to start saving.
Reading/hearing/watching people's first reactions/impression in decent VR gives me life! I feed on that ish mang.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Giant bomb is not having tracking issues today and they confirmed they moved the Camera below the TV and moved the couch a little closer.

giphy.gif

Nydus

Color banding looks like this:

Camera-profile-066-duo.jpg

Look at the background behind the girl on the left, that's color banding.

If you don't see a difference it could be one of many things.

1) You just can't tell the difference

2) Your TV doesn't support it

3) You don't have it enabled on the PS4

In any case, be glad you can't see the difference because if you do notice it, it can stand out.

I have a sony w802 and i have no bending. RGB is at full and the other stuff on automatic. I even tried the particle theme where it should be obvious. But what i have is very rarely some artifacts in the psvr or the tv (white little squares only some pixels wide). I think the included hdmi is just ultra shitty. Ill get a new one soon i think.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
I'm pretty annoyed with the poor design of the Processor Unit.
But wait, how can the 10bit issue affect me if I don't have HDR capable TV? Aren't the HDR TV only ones built with 10bit panels? I have LG 55EC9300 TV, and nowhere in specs I can find how many bits it supports.

Keinu

Wow, never tried VR before so when I got mine today it was my very first experience. It was really easy to set up and I've been having a blast trying all the different demoes available. The only real dissapointment was Driveclub VR which was way to blurry to really enjoy.

Thumper was the only game I bought today, but that was pretty amazing and what I played the most. Was tempted to buy Until Dawn: Rush of Blood as the demo impressed me quite a bit, but at the same time I'm worried it will be too scary in the long run :)

Quick question, does anyone have EVE: Valkyrie? I liked the look of it, but couldn't get used to the controls and didn't see anyway to change them. Is it possible in the full game to change the control layout in any way?

Edit: Oh. and the tracking was excellent. Both the headset and the controller tracked a lot better than I feared it would.

Moreche

Been using PSVR for the past few hours and I'm totally blown away. Looking down when in the Ocean Descent demo is a feeling I've never felt before in all of my gaming years.
I know it's a game and it's not real but for as few seconds there's a strange feeling I've never been experienced before in all of my 40 gaming years.
I am now totally convinced that VR needs to stay, I just hope Sony keeps the momentum going because its games and experiences that'll stop it being put back into its box.
Also the expression on my sons face when sitting n a car in driveclub is priceless.

Arkam

I've been playing for hours today and not felt queasy once which is fantastic news.

I am jealous of your fortitude. I kept playing the Eve demo until I became a real ace... that was about when my stomach wouldn't hang. Was the only demo to get me like that. But the again it was the only demo where I was doing a series 180 degree turns :p

So far pretty happy.

But wait, how can the 10bit issue affect me if I don't have HDR capable TV? Aren't the HDR TV only ones built with 10bit panels? I have LG 55EC9300 TV, and nowhere in specs I can find how many bits it supports.

It's kind of a different thing. The PS3 and PS4 both support Deep Color. You can see a setting in the OS. Many standard HDTVs support this too. It has nothing to do with HDR.

Justified

Anything Im missing with getting the headset Mic to work? Doesnt seem to be picking up, not even when I do a mic test in the PS4's settings

DavidDesu

Hmm so been playing about for a while, and unfortunately my headset (and controller) tracking is fucked.

Run through the calibration procedure but can I ask everyone else, see when you do that do you see a clear image from the camera, like it normally shows in the PS Camera settings? When I calibrate the VR tracking lights the image on screen is completely washed out and purple and the lights from the headset are barely visible. If this is what the camera is seeing when trying to track the lights then no wonder I have issues.

As I said though when I go into just the PS camera settings the image is fine from the camera. Thinking my camera maybe fucked? Maybe the other lens that's not used normally is fucked so when it tries to use both for VR it does this. I basically keep getting stuttering and the tracking floats away. Even when staying still it's stuttering into different positions.

First thing I did was VR Worlds and the shooting gallery and all was working pretty well. Now I've sat down, tried to get everything right, sitting the right distance away and getting good lighting and it's just not working for anything.

EDIT: Oh and the image is pretty damn good but at certain points and in certain games there's a sorry of fairy dust effect, lol, lots of sparkling pixels. In VR Worlds demo, the first thing I tried it was present in the menu screen and I honestly thought it was supposed to be sparkling bits of dust, but it appeared in different places and in black screen in between experiences. Anyone else got this. It's off in lots of things too though! Weird.

Moff

so am I doing something wrong or is this pretty blurry depending on the game?
Batman for instance, right at the beginning the pictures on the piano, they are blurry no matter how I look at them.
if I watch the tv screen they are ok

do I need to adjust something?

Really enjoying PSVR. No tracking issues, rocking back and forth or anything.

My only issue is The Kitchen. The game refuses to recognize that PSVR is in the zone it's supposed to be in. I've tried everything but nope. Only game that doesn't work so far.

SeanR1221

So what's the deal with availability? Why did stores get so few and pre orders dried up quickly but then GameStop, amazon and Best Buy had plenty of online stock earlier today (you can still easily get the 399.99 bundle)

I feel like a dummy waiting for the midnight launch last night without a pre order.

Damn dogs rubbing up against my legs while in VR making me jump.
That VR Worlds intro/main menu. Holy Shit!
Is there a VR section in the store? I haven't looked.

Why oh why is there no dedicated game that involves the various kinds of balls in the menu screens of VR Worlds?

Those things are amazing to knock around the rooms in their various forms..... There really should be a dedicated game in which they're used.

Played for about 3 and a half hours before work. Holy shit this is amazing! I'm a believer now. Haven't had any issues like Giant Bomb, though move controllers can bug out sometimes and the dual shock tracking in virtual space is doing that moving on its own thing. Overall well worth the 500. Rigs didn't even make me sick

BriGuy

I've been desperately hoping for the next Mario 64 moment for 20 years.

This isn't it.

I've only fucked around with it for a little while so maybe I haven't found that killer experience yet, but I don't think the PS4 and PSVR are up to the task. I feel like I'm reliving the Sega CD (in no small part to screen door-o-vision); you kind of get what they're going for, but the technology isn't quite there yet.

I have a sony w802 and i have no bending. RGB is at full and the other stuff on automatic. I even tried the particle theme where it should be obvious. But what i have is very rarely some artifacts in the psvr or the tv (white little squares only some pixels wide). I think the included hdmi is just ultra shitty. Ill get a new one soon i think.

dark10x is usually very accurate about these things. I'm still waiting to go home to hook mine up so I haven't seen it one way or the other. I do know we have, or at least used to have, the same HDTV so it'll be interesting to see if I get the same results.

phant0m

this is a shot in the dark but does anyone know the weight of the launch bundle box and the dimensions?

Box is 18x10.5x8" and weighs just under 10 lbs.

Been having a blast with mine. Thumper is awesome and the gf has enjoyed the VR Worlds content. On the fence about buying Batman.

Justified

Anything Im missing with getting the headset Mic to work? Doesnt seem to be picking up, not even when I do a mic test in the PS4's settings

Nevermind I fixed it.

I just unplugged then re-plugged the triangle/circle cable between the headset, and extension cable

Fisty

Hmm so been playing about for a while, and unfortunately my headset (and controller) tracking is fucked.

Run through the calibration procedure but can I ask everyone else, see when you do that do you see a clear image from the camera, like it normally shows in the PS Camera settings? When I calibrate the VR tracking lights the image on screen is completely washed out and purple and the lights from the headset are barely visible. If this is what the camera is seeing when trying to track the lights then no wonder I have issues.

As I said though when I go into just the PS camera settings the image is fine from the camera. Thinking my camera maybe fucked? Maybe the other lens that's not used normally is fucked so when it tries to use both for VR it does this. I basically keep getting stuttering and the tracking floats away. Even when staying still it's stuttering into different positions.

First thing I did was VR Worlds and the shooting gallery and all was working pretty well. Now I've sat down, tried to get everything right, sitting the right distance away and getting good lighting and it's just not working for anything.

EDIT: Oh and the image is pretty damn good but at certain points and in certain games there's a sorry of fairy dust effect, lol, lots of sparkling pixels. In VR Worlds demo, the first thing I tried it was present in the menu screen and I honestly thought it was supposed to be sparkling bits of dust, but it appeared in different places and in black screen in between experiences. Anyone else got this. It's off in lots of things too though! Weird.

Yes that washed out image is what I had too, but I had no tracking issues. I think there's a full config process under the PS4 settings that goes way more in depth with the setup so try that if you haven't already

RoyalFool

Banned
Oh shit, I went to put my move controllers down on a table so i could pick up the main controller to get out of the job sim demo.

But of course, it was a table in a virtual game - so I placed them and let go, followed by the thud of them hitting the real life floor. At least they are robust, no damage done.

VR is incredible, really getting that next-gen wow factor from all this; something graphics alone haven't done for me in the last few hardware gens.

Paradox96

Neo Member
Played through Until Dawn Rush of Blood, Worlds, demo disc, and had no motion sickness...Until I played "Here They Lie"

I don't know what it is but the walking made me sick within minutes. I hope to develop resilience. It's a creepy game.

I still need to play "Loading Human"

Qassim

Oh shit, I went to put my move controllers down on a table so i could pick up the main controller to get out of the job sim demo.

But of course, it was a table in a virtual game - so I placed them and let go, followed by the thud of them hitting the real life floor. At least they are robust, no damage done.

VR is incredible, really getting that next-gen wow factor from all this; something graphics alone haven't done for me in the last few hardware gens.

Haha yep, had the exact same reaction when playing Job Simulator on the Vive. Also have leaned on virtual walls in Budget Cuts when standing up.

The Kitchen demo is fantastic. I flinched at one point and smacked myself in the face.

I let my father have a go and he couldn't finish it and he doesn't scare easily.

I liked Driveclub and Until dawn too but not enough to buy them. Will have to wait for more games to come out.

Mendrox

Got my headset too and I don't regret a single cent. Thing is fucking amazing even though I already played two games before. Just having the time to test everything and how easy everything works makes this worthwhile. Hopefuly there will be some good games in the future too. RIGS is really awesome and blew my mind. Felt like I was the pilot.

Everything works so god damn well and feels so good that the little blips in tracking with the headset or when you go out of range are utterly heartbreaking. I'm crazy impressed but it would be fab if this thing had tracking that was just a TINY bit better. For the price though it's insane how good this is.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Anyone disappointed about the volume of sound from the breakout box?

Nope. The supplied earphones are plenty loud. What are you using?

I am actually preferring PSVR to my Oculus Rift, which is a bit of a surprise considering the Rift is technically better. I'm not sure what it is. Maybe it's just comfort but the games are a lot of fun as well. I am really digging this.

I'm not surprised. I've got a DK2 and the overall experience is much better on the PSVR.

NeoRausch

Happy PSVR launch everybody :)

I'm feeling stoked, because we got our little game in at practically the 11th hour in time for launch. Woke up this morning to see it featured in the "PSVR compatible" area in the north American PSN store, and that was just cool, and some new 'media vouchers' in ouir mailbox.

So, to celebrate, I'm handing out these vouchers here. Quote this post to reveal. Each code will grant you a copy of the game's complete bundle. There are codes for North America and Europe, and I think they are all for the bundle.

post the number of the code you grab. and if you have time in the deluge of games to give it a try, let us know if you dig it :)
also, NeoGAF references ahoy

All euro codes gone... Dawwww!
Now I need to buy it!

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital

Reading/hearing/watching people's first reactions/impression in decent VR gives me life! I feed on that ish mang.

The Kitchen demo reaction I saw earlier in the thread needs to go viral. Can you imagine how many of these headsets are going to be sold simply because of people inviting their friends round to experience this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YV3G7hn0gto

ZehDon

Damn, sorry to hear that David. When I calibrate my camera, the screen goes green, and I can clearly see the blue lights on the headset - they're the only thing in the image that isn't green. If you're not seeing the lights nice and clear, I suspect that's your tracking issue. Are you using a launch day camera that's been sitting around? If you have a friend who's snagged one, maybe try their camera out, see if it makes a difference? I can turn the lights off in my media room, or leave them on; seems to have little impact on what I'm seeing in the calibration screen, though the walls are a dark grey.

When you sparkling pixels, you mean rapidly changing brightness? I haven't see that. When I put the PSVR on, I can see the subtle light variations between each pixel - looks like a very subtle film grain effect if I look around. I believe that's just the nature of the screen. If I sit static, the pixels don't sparkle - they stay the same colour and brightness. But if yours are actually sparkling, that might be a hardware issue?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom