• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR Launch Thread: Welcome to The Real World

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm in the same boat. Really not sure how to fix it but all of a sudden I have to turn to the left or right to view the 'centre' of my view and holding options does next to nothing.

I just don't understand how it messes up so much when it has so many light points in the front.

Go through all the settings. To do this go to settings > devices > playstation VR. Doing that sorted everything for me and haven't had a single issue since. I also did the eye distance one as well as I found text to be slightly blurry when it was centred in the screen and doing that has made reading in VR nice and normal.

I think the most important one is to calibrate the headset lights.

ZehDon

Oh shit, think I've fixed it!

Had a lamp just behind and to the side of my tv. Gave off a soft light but seems that was enough to totally mess with it. Was in the Playroom crane game room and it was perfect versus my headset jittering about.!
Nice, really glad to hear it. I think that's a big tip for everyone: make sure there are no extra light sources around.

JonnyKong

Thank you guys for the feedback on my room layout. I may have to hold back on buying one for the mean time as sitting on the edge of my bed like that will destroy my back. :(

Any impressions from Vive owners?

The Vive floored me at my friend's place, and seemed like the way VR should be, but the PSVR seems to have stronger game support, on top of being comfortable and visually impressive even for the PS4 thanks to the money Sony is pumping into it. I gave into the hype and ordered an Amazon bundle, but I hope I won't be underwhelmed. I hope this will tide me over as I build my PC and wait on developments for the Vive 2.

Been playing the little adventure mode in tomb raider
Vr is really a game changer for adventure games

I want a vr mode in the new sherlock holmes or better a gabriel knight VR

Yeah. I really hope we see some fleshed out adventure games. I'm looking forward to trying the couple we're getting at launch and the others their demos, a couple of them look pretty detailed though others maybe short for being available so quickly.

And I am sold. I want to shit myself playing this thing. Can't wait for my next paycheck lol

Yeah, I think horror's going to be huge lol. I can barely do horror on a TV so I don't think I can do horror VR, but watching Tim freak out several times on the Kinda Funny play was hilarious.

Played uncharted 4 on the 120 inch screen. That resolution is the only reason I would go back to the TV instead of full time VR. The resolution is the only neg for the VR.

Can't wait to try this.

You guys didn't lie, the platformer of Playroom VR is amazing. Like a Ratchet and Clank game with (adorable) VR gimmicks.
Had a grin on my face the whole time, and loved having to move a bit to check behind the rocks above the camera or such.

Awesome. This seems to be getting a lot of positive vibes. Which of the islands is that? I'll probably check this out as one of the first things late tonight or tomorrow.

Nice, really glad to hear it. I think that's a big tip for everyone: make sure there are no extra light sources around.

Yeah, this seems to be one of the biggest bullet points.

Thank you guys for the feedback on my room layout. I may have to hold back on buying one for the mean time as sitting on the edge of my bed like that will destroy my back. :(

You could maybe position the camera on top of the clothes bin and play facing that way. Wouldn't that give you a bit more distance?

EDIT: Hivemind, lol.

Krejlooc

Banned

You don't have to face the TV. You can put the camera on your hamper, for example, and use the width of your room instead of the space between your bed and your TV.

JonnyKong

You could maybe position the camera on top of the clothes bin and play facing that way. Wouldn't that give you a bit more distance?

Hmm maybe, unfortunately there's no way of moving my bed as my bedroom isn't the biggest so the bed is pretty much locked into place there.

It's no biggy, I'm sure I can try think of something if I'm really that eager to get playing on one.

KORNdoggy

One of the best puchases i'm made in years and finally makes PS4 an exciting console. Hell, its made what i find quite a boring last 2 gens exciting again. I've had no jitter, drift, nausea, nothing, been on for 6 hours trying demo's and playing driveclub. The sense of presence is excellent. Kitchen demo scared me shitless, and even triggered my issues with personal space invaders...despite it being by far the worst looking thing i've played on PSVR.

Driveclub doesn't look near as bad as people were making out. And it really improved my driving. I cannot wait for the prospect of DiRT rally being ported to PSVR.

I love it. Next up. Rez, thumper, tumble and here they lie.

Krejlooc

Banned

Headset is comfy, games are about as fun as most other early VR tech demos, IQ is precisely what I'd come to expect. I guess it's hard to give an impression, because I very much understood what the tech would be, and my expectations were always in check. I'll just say -- it's what I expected. It certainly isn't bad, not for first-gen console VR. But I don't see myself using it for much outside of exclusives. If the same game is available on the Vive, I'll obviously pick it up there instead.

Kind of feels like harping on a known point, but lighthouse tracking is so far superior to both Sony's and Oculus' outside-in tracking that it's incomparable on that front.

Job simulator is so good.

I'm surprised by how good the until dawn is as well, in respect to it feeling a lot like an actual carnival ride you'd go on, in, we'll a carnival.

Briarios

Mine finally arrived ... but, I'm making dinner and feeding cats. Ugh ... it's killing me lol I'm slowly setting everything up.

Adda

Go through all the settings. To do this go to settings > devices > playstation VR. Doing that sorted everything for me and haven't had a single issue since. I also did the eye distance one as well as I found text to be slightly blurry when it was centred in the screen and doing that has made reading in VR nice and normal.

I think the most important one is to calibrate the headset lights.

Yeah did all that more than once. I'm sure they'll get it fixed but it's frustrating and is likely one of those issues everyone chalks up to user error unless they experience it themselves.

Kaako

Felium Defensor

The Vive floored me at my friend's place, and seemed like the way VR should be, but the PSVR seems to have stronger game support, on top of being comfortable and visually impressive even for the PS4 thanks to the money Sony is pumping into it. I gave into the hype and ordered an Amazon bundle, but I hope I won't be underwhelmed. I hope this will tide me over as I build my PC and wait on developments for the Vive 2.
We've had some impressions from Vive/Rift owners & some that owned all 3 and it's the same echo: pretty much the most comfortable HMD you'll ever wear. Couple of them even said they now prefer the PSVR to their PC HMDs which is pretty surprising but that comfort level must be quite a difference(?)

JonnyKong

You don't have to face the TV. You can put the camera on your hamper, for example, and use the width of your room instead of the space between your bed and your TV.

With the camera on top of the hamper, surely the bottom of my bed will be in the way when it tries to do the calibration and what have you?

Krejlooc

Banned
With the camera on top of the hamper, surely the bottom of my bed will be in the way when it tries to do the calibration and what have you?

put the camera higher, then, on some boxes on top of the hamper. Or maybe on the armoire next to the hamper. Outside-in tracking benefits most from a camera up high facing downwards, anyways.

Codiox

This thing man. At first I don't wanted any of the games there are at launch, but after messing with the demo disc... So many games are fun. Rigs, battlezone, eve, job simulator and fucking rez!

Sucks that I didn't get the amazon eve valkyre deal :/

Also no problems here with sickness. Driveclub, rigs and eve were no problem at all.

Also playing spelunky on a cinema screen is nuts!

Yeah did all that more than once. I'm sure they'll get it fixed but it's frustrating and is likely one of those issues everyone chalks up to user error unless they experience it themselves.

Damn, I hope you manage to get things sorted. There is always the chance of a faulty unit so I'd jump on that sharpish depending on what laws there are for consumers in your country.

Where are you placing your camera btw? Above, bellow or around head height. I found slightly below or at head height to be more accurate.

dochuge

I just bought a gear VR last week and it gives a pretty decent VR experience. Does anyone have one and played the psvr? Is the psvr a substantial upgrade to justify the price increase? The resolution of gear VR is pretty low but it's surprisingly cheap and works fine. I have this 400 dollar box that I haven't opened. Nervous.

Krejlooc

Banned
I just bought a gear VR last week and it gives a pretty decent VR experience. Does anyone have one and played the psvr? Is the psvr a substantial upgrade to justify the price increase? The resolution of gear VR is pretty low but it's surprisingly cheap and works fine. I have this 400 dollar box that I haven't opened. Nervous.

GearVR has a higher resolution than PSVR.

That said, PSVR is attached to much better hardware than GearVR (the PS4) and the games benefit from that. But they are still considerably restrained by the hardware, just not nearly to the degree that GearVR is.

Adda

Damn, I hope you manage to get things sorted. There is always the chance of a faulty unit so I'd jump on that sharpish depending on what region and laws for consumers.

Where are you placing your camera btw above, bellow or around head height. I found slightly below or at head height to be more accurate.

My tv is on an IKEA cabinet and camera on top of tv. It's past midnight now so after work tomorrow I'll give it a shot in front of tv instead as that will be closer to head height.

You may have a faulty gyroscope then. I'd probably try to get a replacement before the warranty wears out.

Not sure it's really faulty, VR works flawlessly. I noticed drift with my phone,sixaxis and move controller.

Just think it's common for gyroscope only leveling. I don't understand why they don't use the light tracking for this mode as well.

I'de like to know how wide-spread it is. But I don't know anyone else with a ps VR.

I'm heading home from work and grabbed batman and plan on downloading Rez infinite,100ft robot golf,Super hyper cube,thumper is there any games anyone think is a must have?

I'm a little gun shy on eve Valkyrie being a full priced game

dochuge

GearVR has a higher resolution than PSVR.

That said, PSVR is attached to much better hardware than GearVR (the PS4) and the games benefit from that. But they are still considerably restrained by the hardware, just not nearly to the degree that GearVR is.

Wow. I may not open this up then. I know I can have better gaming experiences on PS4 obviously but was expecting a higher resolution than a gear VR.

Bollocks

is the demo of the deep the full thing? I'm not really interested in vr worlds except for the deep, so if the demo gives me the whole thing I'm happy.

Dazzyman

Sorted my black screen. It was the supplied hdmi and im reading a few people having the same fault. I did a swap and it worked fine. Very odd.

phant0m

Update #2: very comfortable for long periods with glasses. London Heist is the only thing that's made me feel sick so far, it was acting very janky in a way I didn't experience with other titles.

Rush of Blood is a blast as is Valkyrie & Gunjack

Still can't get The Kitchen to see I have VR hooked up and in the right place. Goddamn.

Everything else is FLAWLESS.

Until Dawn is DOPE. Seeing your arms is wild.

hitme

While I continue to wait for my bundle, I'm going to head over to Best Buy and buy one game (only have VR Worlds).

What to get?

dochuge

Technically Gear VR is higher resolution than Oculus Rift and Vive as well.

That's crazy. Thanks for educating me guys. So I'll have an even blurrier experience with a several hundred dollar piece of equipment than a 100 dollar device that I plug my phone into?

I'm heading home from work and grabbed batman and plan on downloading Rez infinite,100ft robot golf,Super hyper cube,thumper is there any games anyone think is a must have?

I'm a little gun shy on eve Valkyrie being a full priced game

I like it but not sure if its worth 60. It's a fairly bare-boned game and certain things are funky about it. The controls on gamepad make it feel like you're flying a drone or something, not a ship. The weightiness is all wrong. It's still pretty neat though.

ckohler

One of the best puchases i'm made in years and finally makes PS4 an exciting console. Hell, its made what i find quite a boring last 2 gens exciting again. I've had no jitter, drift, nausea, nothing, been on for 6 hours trying demo's and playing driveclub.

What is your camera placement, distance, and room configuration? Also are you standing or sitting?

It's helpful for everyone to hear these details from people who've had great experiences so we can hopefully resolve things for everyone.

Krejlooc

Banned
Wow. I may not open this up then. I know I can have better gaming experiences on PS4 obviously but was expecting a higher resolution than a gear VR.

Resolution is just one of many factors that determines your VR experience. In terms of real-world tangible limits resolution imposes on VR development, you're looking at effective viewing distance. The higher the resolution of the screen inside the VR headset, the further into the distance you can resolve. This is because, at a certain distance, you become constrained by the physical size of the pixels on the screen. Higher resolution = smaller pixels = more resolvable detail further into the picture.

But there are other factors that affect the rest of the VR experience - field of view, for example -- how far to the left and right you can see. Also the subpixel spread - the pentile shape of the GearVR screen is to eliminate jailbarring, but it does so at a slightly lower green subpixel resolution (that is offset by the natural higher resolution of the screen in gearVR). You also have to consider the hardware rendering the scene -- lighting is the single most expensive component of a scene when working in VR. As such, GearVR games feature drastically reduced lighting models. While PSVR can't approach even low-end PC VR titles in terms of real-time lighting, it can still perform quite a bit better than a phone with no heatsink on the GPU core. The nature of GearVR's screen being primarily used for a phone also means that the screen doesn't have a custom pixel density tailored to the optics like PSVR does.

PSVR is in a lot of ways a far step beyond GearVR, just not in resolution. Think of it as sort of a midway point between mobile VR and high-end PC VR, edging closer to PCVR than mobile VR.

taoofjord

I've only spent an hour with the PS VR, but coming from a Vive owner, the PS VR is one super sleek and comfy headset.

I won't comment on much else yet, as I've only played non-move games, but I will say that the screen is impressive and the subpxels do a good job of masking the screen door effect. The resolution is still obviously lower res than the Vive but IQ overall is pretty good. I'm hoping the PS4 Pro will allow games to scale up the red to improve IQ further. I'm also having drifting and tracking issues so I'm going to troubleshoot that later tonight.

Oh, and Thumper rules. :)

Mezoly

Anyone who pre-ordered form amazon last night had their unit ship yet? Mine is supposed to arrive tomorrow but it hasn't shipped yet.
Edit: as I typed this I got my shipping message.

Krejlooc

Banned
Technically Gear VR is higher resolution than Oculus Rift and Vive as well.

not really. The single screen is a higher resolution than the combined resolution of the two screens in Oculus Rift and Vive, but you lose roughly 20% of the screen to the bridge of your nose between the two ocular openings. The reason the Rift and Vive screens combine for less pixels than the single GearVR screen is because they remove the gap between the nose. The effective viewing resolutions of the Rift and Vive are actually higher than GearVR.

number11

Is it possible to disable the motion tracking during cinematic mode? Having the screen constantly move kinda defeats the illusion of watching a giant screen.

Finally got to play my PSVR at 11pm after a long day's work and stupid me decided to play the DriveClubVR demo on the Demo Disc. I couldn't even complete 2 laps before I felt like a was gonna throw up. My stomach was doing jumping jacks all night, even when I went to bed it felt like I was gonna be sick, I had a rough night. I was playing with a controller, does the game feel any different when using a wheel? Is it less disenorinating when using a wheel?

I was also experiencing controller drift in the Demo Disc menu screen.

Pejo

Just got notification that my PSVR is waiting for me at home.....

Unfortunately I have to work late tonight and won't be home in time to enjoy it before I have to go to sleep.

And I work this weekend.

Dammit.

Got my launch bundle from Amazon setup a few hours ago only to find that the camera didn't work. The ps4 recognized it but the image from it was nothing but static.
I troubleshot it by borrowing my step sons camera from his bundle. Bought a new camera from Gamestop and Amazon gave me a $64 gift card to cover my cost for the new camera.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom