• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playtonic removes JonTron from Yooka-Laylee.

Status
Not open for further replies.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
exactly, but that doesn't mean that he should be fired too.

Beware that i DO NOT like his opinion, but the fact that he got fired for "personal opinions" is non sense IMHO.

No it's not. If someone starring in a Disney movie started talking about how an entire group of people are genetically flawed on youtube and twitter and making a big stink about it you can be damn well sure Disney would shitcan their ass fast.

Fuck Boogie. And why do people think AJ would support Jon? He's like the last big YouTuber I think who would support him.

I don't know anymore. I too thought Boogie wouldn't side (or be on the stupid fence) with JonTron. But he is. I can have a huge sigh of relief since GAF gives a thumbs up on AJ. Jim Sterling I don't even need to question either.

Boogie touched me with his story years ago. I never felt so dirty now.

Goddamn. Youtube 'celebrities' were a mistake. I hate that so many kids are growing up with this kind of crap. These pieces of shit really get under my skin.

Fuck Boogie
Fuck Total Biscuit
Fuck Jontron
Fuck anyone else who defends this shit.

I hope they all burn. Yes, I'm mad as hell and I don't care right now. After all people did to try to dispel the notion that gamers were pathetic losers, these assholes come along and create an entire group of disgusting animals that once again makes me feel ashamed to associate myself with video games.

Fuck.

Beware that i DO NOT like his opinion, but the fact that he got fired for "personal opinions" is non sense IMHO.

He got cut because the company didn't want to have an open white supremacist attached to their game...

Seventy70

What a bloody hypocrite. Going by what Boogie2988 said in the Jontron defense video, he shouldn't be allowed to stop hanging out with a fat-shaming dude because he needs to educate and reach over the hatred and this is the real world where you have to accommodate for other's hatred and you're a weakling if you cut out people who you should reform because they're going to get worse and blah blah blah blah centrist bullcrap.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=54uSD67M-Zo
If the hypocrisy wasn't enough, here's some more from that video:

"Unfortunately for me, Matt's not the only person that does that. Every time I log on to the internet, there's someone making fun of fat people--Facebook, Reddit, every time I watch one of my favorite shows, every time I see a photoshopped image of someone who looks impossibly skinny and I realize that I'm not apart of that exclusive club of young, hip, attractive, beautiful, skinny people. In fact, I'm apart of a completely different group that gets made fun of every day and gets mocked and gets tortured and gets shamed."

"Maybe I will figure out what wrong in my head to make me do this to myself and maybe I will. Maybe I will lose the weight or maybe I will die fat and young. But, I'll tell you what, your hate-filled bullshit isn't going to make a difference either way."

And, of course, this is the description of the video:

"SHARE THIS VIDEO: if you are overweight or you love someone who is, please EDUCATE THE PEOPLE AROUND YOU about the pain shaming causes and about the endless cycle it creates. I would love to make a difference."

....I just don't know what to say.

No its not. If someone starring in a Disney movie started talking about how an entire group of people are genetically flawed on youtube and twitter and making a big stink about it you can be damn well sure Disney would shitcan their ass fast.
It's like people forget Pewdiepie just got dunked on by Disney for less. Hell, Disney tries their hardest to pretend Song of the South never happened.

If Jontron was still doing Starcade that shit would have been cancelled immediatly and who knows what sponsorships he might lose due to this.

LewieP

So he should be able to cause as many problems as he wants for Playtonic, but they shouldn't let him go? Why?

What job do you have where no matter how much trouble you cause for your management you remain employed?

JonTron got fired because Playtonic doesn't want someone with his shit opinions publicly associated with their game. Playtonic decides who and what is in their game and who is associated with their company end of story. If JonTron wants to go make an ass of himself they can cut him out if they please. Freedom of speech doesn't equal freedom of consequence, in this case the consequence was him removed from the game.

Ruff

Oh come on. How horrible do opinions have to get before you can allow yourself to remove the person who holds them? Would you allow a person who has the opinion that preteens are attractive to work at a preschool? Would you allow a doctor who has an intense spoken bigtory of your skin color or nationality to be charge of your wellbeing? I would damn sure hope not.

Veezy

que?

Have you ever had a job in corporate America? People that work as cashiers who say some bigoted shit online get dropped without a second thought.

Being a literal White supremacist isn't an opinion, that's a belief structure. I'm sure he can find work at Breitbart or Stormfront if he needs to.

Charamiwa

Banned
I'd just like to point out that ever since the decision has been made to remove JonTron from the game, there has been a non stop thread about Yooka Laylee on 4chan. It was barely relevant before, now thousands of posts about it and no sign of stopping anytime soon.

I know, who cares about 4chan? But I was afraid that this incident would do more harm than good for the game. People on 4chan, on some subreddits or twitter just feed off this kind of drama. Once they have a game in their radar, they'll just shitpost about it forever and it already started. I'm just sad this jolly game is now under that kind of pressure. What a shitty situation.

Sakwoff

So he should be able to cause as many problems as he wants for Playtonic, but they shouldn't let him go? Why?

What job do you have where no matter how much trouble you cause for your management you remain employed?

55396032zqr81.jpg

JonTron has a right to voice his opinion. Just like Playtonic have a right to voice theirs and take any action if necessary.

I'm tired of hearing the same "personal opinion" and "freedom of speech" arguments. It's boring.

Why the fuck are people throwing Boogie under the bus as if he's equally as bad as JonTron? He literally condemned the racist things that Jon said, yet people are acting like they're as bad as each other. He doesn't even seem like he's supporting JonTron, people are sharing tweets out of context and not getting the full picture.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything

He didn't get "fired" he never worked for Playtonic. They used his voice in their game in what was probably an unpaid gig. They have every right to decide they don't want to feature a confessed racist in their game.

If you told your boss that you think he is an asshole, that would be a "personal opinion" too and what outcome would you expect from it?

Feel free to ignore this if it has been answered already our you simply don't want to talk about it, but is this weird Twitter guy still claiming you did all of this? Forgot his name, think he freelances for the Escapist.

HStallion

Why the fuck are people throwing Boogie under the bus as if he's equally as bad as JonTron? He literally condemned the racist things that Jon said, yet people are acting like they're as bad as each other. He doesn't even seem like he's supporting JonTron, people are sharing tweets out of context and not getting the full picture.

Please tell us what the full picture is. I await enlightenment.

D

Deleted member 126221

Unconfirmed Member
I'd just like to point out that ever since the decision has been made to remove JonTron from the game, there has been a non stop thread about Yooka Laylee on 4chan. It was barely relevant before, now thousands of posts about it and no sign of stopping anytime soon.

I know, who cares about 4chan? But I was afraid that this incident would do more harm than good for the game. People on 4chan, on some subreddits or twitter just feed off this kind of drama. Once they have a game in their radar, they'll just shitpost about it forever and it already started. I'm just sad this jolly game is now under that kind of pressure. What a shitty situation.
I wonder how Jon feels about creating a hate movement against the creators of some of his favorite games of all times.

MrBadger

Why do people keep saying he got fired? He was never "hired". He wasn't doing professional voice work for the game, he was making a guest appearance.

A closer equivalent would be a guest speaker at an event or a university having their talk cancelled.

HStallion

Why do people keep saying he got fired? He was never "hired". He wasn't doing professional voice work for the game, he was making a guest appearance.

Doesn't fit their narrative. That and tunnel vision is a helluva bitch

Ms.Galaxy

Defending a white supremacist, even if you don't agree with their beliefs, makes you just as bad as them. The reason? Because you're allowing the ideology of genocide base on "racial science" to be normalized. You denounce and attack white supremacy, you don't disagree with it. Disagreeing with it actually gives it weight in legitimacy, because you make it sound like a valid ideology (It's not).

Because he is. The fact that he is too chickenshit to condemn white supremacist thought patterns, trying to frame it as 'a difference of opinion' and trying to get everyone to sing kumbaya is fucking disgusting.

As long as the game is actually good, most of what they say will fall pretty flat. If it's not great, well, this will just add more fuel to the fire. That said, the edgemasters of 4chan probably weren't the core audience for this anyway and the devs already got paid through Kickstarter, so I can't imagine it really being a big deal in the long run.

Jacce

Banned

He got banned for life from NeoGAF for defending sexism you know.

He's not supporting Jon, he's enabling him by being a cowardly moderate. That makes him just as bad.

He got banned for life from NeoGAF for defending sexism you know.

More so banned for looking like he was going to kill himself because people 'wouldn't accept the other side' or some horseshit in the old GG threads.

But yes, he definitely will defend sexism, racism et all, because he is that much of a flip flopping asswipe.

Jacce

Banned

Most companies would fire someone if they publicly made blatantly racist remarks. Why is JonTron special?

You can't say racist things and keep your job if you go out in public and the media and start openly attacking other races?

How would your workplace react if you went on tv and declared Black people are inferior to white people? You would lose your job.

Wait who got banned for life on GAF?!

Boogie. He was permabanned.

Charamiwa

Banned
I wonder how Jon feels about creating a hate movement against the creators of some of his favorite games of all times.

I'm sure he enjoys the shitposting. It seems to be his mindset lately. I'm just hoping part of him is ashamed of the situation, I know I would be if the company I love, and friends, were in this position because of me.

mdtauk

It is "Freedom of Speech" not "Freedom from Consequence"

If you choose to hold bigoted opinions, and share them, be prepared to face the backlash and reaction. It is how society protects itself from ideologues

MechaX

As people are pointing out, Boogie's issue is that he'll go to town on someone fat-shaming especially due to how he's personally affected by it. But if someone displays sexist views or if someone says the shit like Jon did (neither of which are germane to his personal situation), he'll try to throw out stuff like "well, I condemn the speech, but the speaker can still be salvaged! Guys, he's a person too!" I honestly do not know if Boogie even realizes it, but it makes him seem like a massive hypocrite.

It wasn't like his personal opinion is "I'm not a dog or cat person" when he works at Purina, it was "the gene pool is threatened by non-whites" when he works at a company that employs a lot of non-whites.

If there is a line to be crossed, I think Jon Tron vaulted himself beyond that a long time ago with that opinion.

Some people just don't know (and/or don't want to learn) what free speech really means.
I feel like the bigger issue is that people are conflating racism as meaning an objectively and obviously bad person. Since Jon is otherwise a funny and affable person there is a disconnect for people. If someone less likeable had said the same things about immigrants replacing white people they wouldn't have as many people coming to their defense. Steve King is the one who originally made the statement on Twitter actually and fewer people came to his defense for just that reason.

Gotchaye

I mean, I generally agree that you shouldn't suffer much economically for your political views, even if they're pretty gross. But when your job description is basically "get people to like you", it's hard to see what the problem is supposed to be if you reveal yourself to be very unlikable.

There'd be room to criticize a decision to remove a voice actor from a game if they were involved in the first place just because they were the best voice actor for the role. There's not much room to criticize the decision when the only reason they're involved at all is so that the game benefits from having the person's name attached. When having the person's name attached is no longer useful, the whole reason for involving them disappears.

OryoN

JonTron got fired because Playtonic doesn't want someone with his shit opinions publicly associated with their game. Playtonic decides who and what is in their game and who is associated with their company end of story. If JonTron wants to go make an ass of himself they can cut him out if they please. Freedom of speech doesn't equal freedom of consequence, in this case the consequence was him removed from the game.

Isn't it amazing that people - especially those who are so quick to play the freedom of speech card - can't grasp such a simple concept? Man, I tell ya...

Fantastapotamus

Fair enough, maybe this tweet is fairer.
Final word:
I stand by my decision to condemn what jon said, but I still believe the person can be salvaged.

If you disagree, that's OK <3

So he condemns what he said but thinks Jon can change. That's a fair statement and one that I would agree with. However I also think that Jon needs to change before people start giving him a chance again. If he goes out, does some really good stuff (like work for some organization that helps immigrants), makes a heartfelt apology that makes it clear he understands WHY people were so angry then I'll be the first to subscribe to his channel. Still, a fair statement.

Another one
All that said: What jon said is certainly not just a crazy idea, but potentially harmful and I understand why people react the way they do.
Good. Not really an amazingly brave statement to condemn pure racism but it needed to be said nowadays.

Next one
Here's the thing:
If EVERY entertainer had their career destroyed because someone disagreed with them, then we'd have no entertainers left.
Okay, now it get's a bit weird. The problem isn't that people are "disagreeing" with him. The problem is him insulting hundreds of thousands of people and actively trying to make life for them even worse. That has nothing to do with "disagreeing". I "disagree" with Jim Sterling that Fallout 4 is a good game.

And then of course we get this
Make no mistake though. There are some key players doing everything they can to damage jon and his career because they don't like his views
Which, mind you, is his first tweet about this. The first thing he felt the need to say was how "key players" (whatever that means) try to damage poor jon because they "don't like his views". No. Jon damaged himself by saying hateful, racist and incredibly ignorant shit. It's like saying the media damaged Mel Gibson for his racist rant. Nobody forced JonTron to say the shit that he did. Nobody is responsible but him.

So yes, all in all Boogie isn't saying "Hey, I also like racism" which, cool I guess? But actively defending a racist and claiming "well, he can change though!"? Fuck off. People don't change out of nowhere. Does he really think Jon would change in any way if everybody just ignores his blatant racism? Obviously there is a possibility now that this disaster that he started drives him even more in the arms of the alt-right. But that, frankly speaking, is not my problem. I don't have to make sure to get poor old JonTron back on the right track. He needs to make the first step, not I or anybody else. And nobody, nobody should feel the need to defend him before he actually does anything to try and redeem himself.

And all of that is ignoring that he will be fine, his career won't be over because of this. There are enough racists around to keep him going. In fact, if I were him I would start a Patreon right now because the racists around the world CAN'T let him fail now. Whatever he does next NEEDS to be a success for them to show the world how important they are. If whatever he does next failed it would show the world that GG doesn't have that much money to spare which would make them even less relevant than they already are.

Let me make something clear to you, Shane. The disgusting ass shit that Jontron said is not an "opinion" and should not ever be treated as such. And that disgusting shit got him kicked out, because Playtonic aint having none of that. In closing, you say disgusting ass shit, you will be shown the door.

Thank you.

roknin

I feel like the bigger issue is that people are conflating racism as meaning an objectively and obviously bad person. Since Jon is otherwise a funny and affable person there is a disconnect for people. If someone less likeable had said the same things about immigrants replacing white people they wouldn't have as many people coming to their defense. Steve King is the one who originally made the statement on Twitter actually and fewer people came to his defense for just that reason.

This is absolutely a large part of it.

People don't know what free speech and censorship are, but it's compounded even further by the fact that most people have no idea what racism is. They think racism equals going around in a white hood burning crosses or dressing up like a Nazi.

That's just the extreme.

Also, they keep trying to make it a difference of opinion, which is the most bullshit of fucking bullshit I've ever seen... But it's all about being comfortable and moderate and "please don't make me have to consider things that make my life harder."

Fantastapotamus

I think it's amazing that people think "personal opinions" can't or shouldn't have any real consequences. Is this the result of the anonymity on the internet?

APF

The primary reason you hire or recruit a famous person to be in your work is to use that person's fame and notoriety to elevate that work's profile. If that person outs themselves as a racist shitbag, the benefit of using them to enhance your work is reversed. Even if you aren't famous, becoming famous by making widely-circulated public racist statements reflects poorly on work you are associated with--that's one of the reasons you don't do shit like hold a two-hour televised special explaining your racism.

AndersK

I think it's amazing that people think "personal opinions" can't or shouldn't have any real consequences. Is this the result of the anonymity on the internet?

So strange. If i ran around telling my collegues they're genetically inferior and dilute the gene pool i'd be fired yesterday. I suppose Shane would be totally cool with somebody slagging his mother, becuase thats just an opinion, y'know? Gotta respect that.

Theres just many qualified people out there to settle for a co-worker who thinks you're sub-human.

Have no idea who this guy is but damn!! spectacular.

I always wonder that I may cross with people like this on the street every day and don't notice.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
I checked if there's any discussion going towards @makerstudios on twitter, but apparently there's none. Is that even their real account or am I looking at the wrong place?

Edit: Just saw they still heavily feature revelmode lol. How can you fire Pdp on one hand and still have him earn money with his own sublabel under your umbrella? I don't get Youtube aah.

RinsFury

No, it's not nonsense. It's time for racist shitbags to start realizing that their actions have consequences. I hope that one day soon Jontron has his channel taken down and loses all of his revenue streams.

Fuck him and fuck Boogie and every other piece of shit that plays the "both sides" game and refuses to condemn this shit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom