• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon CEO seemingly confirms NX is a console/handheld hybrid

Let's be honest here, The Pokemon Company didn't do jack shit for the Wii U. Like at all. Pokemon Rumble U was straight trash and Pokken Tournament is a great game made by Bandai Namco. Anything The Pokemon Company says on the contrary is bullshit.

Relatively speaking I believe they did, if Wii U were as successful as 3DS was, they'd have invested more than an evident duo of initial titles (Pokken was evidently greenlit early on), one of which was incubated for a far longer period of time.

The question is whether it took TPC a long time to support Wii U, and I say no. It's just that like third parties publishers, they didn't follow up on that Wii U support. Both 3DS and Wii U didn't receive exciting Pokémon support initially, and Wii U's first big Pokémon effort arrived in the same point of that platform's lifespan as 3DS's first big Pokémon effort.

A confirmation is newsworthy, no matter how much indicating for it.

News never have to surprise or shock, despite common beliefs on the internet.

Well, it's news, but not really anything worth justifying or getting excited about.

What are the chances we will see a always on connection on this? Its 2016 after all we are far past the era of mobile devices not being online.
"Always on" in what sense? Their last few systems have had online functionalities that are always active as long as you have a connection.

I think we are close. Retailers getting infos...Pokemon CEO putting out info...IndieDevs using the hashtag NintendoNX, maybe the NDAs changed and now more info will come out
I completely agree. More talk about NX is here now and it feels like this reveal is so close! I hope it's no later than the first week of October

Tomorrow is the best day for them to announce a reveal if they plan on this week.

wmlk

I said earlier that it's just nice to have even more confirmation. It also gives credibility to the "Pokemon within 6 months rumor."

The Pokémon Company is also involved with stuff like Pokémon Dash. I don't think it means that it's specifically Game Freak's game coming out on NX. They're always late.

ggx2ac

Is NX still an untold number of configurations? or are we only counting the form it releases in?

Multiple form factors are still possible. For now all we know is a hybrid is certain for the first form factor.

Consumers will decide where it goes from there.

Boney

Banned
Not really, this is him explicitly calling it blurring the lines between a handheld device and console device which makes it a physical thing.

Rather than the term "platform" which had us all thinking it would be multiple devices in an NX ecosystem. This is by far the clearest confirmation of a single hybrid device we've seen (not that other devices can't come later, but that's all pure speculation at this point).
I wouldn't be so nitpicky about translated statements.

That's true but, as said within my post here:

http://m.neogaf.com/showpost.php?p=215923839

There is no denial of a hybrid but there is also no denial of multiple form factors. Back then Iwata wasn't sure on what to decide whether they'd stick with one form factor or have many.

Edit:

However if you read this next link:

http://m.neogaf.com/showpost.php?p=216000454

I think Iwata may have been alluding to a hybrid. Time will tell.
Seems you hit the nail in the head. Especially with the integrated line. I haven't payed much attention because I see no point in losing my mind on waiting for news so I stuck with his first statement about it not simply merging into just one system, hence the iPhone/iPad was what I thought it would end up being.

Obviously, after the rumours that have been posted by sources like euro gamer there's no reason not to think it'll be a docking device. And we'll just have to guess if it will or won't end up being a good implementation. But the point is that the statements by Iwata were vague enough to allow either interpretation, especially considering how projects can change in time, and that the statement here by PokeCo isn't any more descriptive than those statements. So this isn't any confirmation at all of how exactly it'll operate in the handheld/home console but just that it's targeting both as we've known for years.

GDGF

Soothsayer
And with what I am assuming will be a mainline Pokemon game, the NX's success is all but guaranteed.

udivision

Ah, good point. Pokemon Rumble NX!

Although it no longer matters now that Nintendo has dropped out of the console space, it's pretty amazing how Pokemon failed to have consistent, meaningful console entries in the 20 year run.

I know Mario is a strong brand, but through the use of spinoffs and mainline games (Kart, 2D Platformers, 3D Platformers,) they really leveraged a lot out of both platforms.

It'd be so weird if people were debating whether or not the 3DS would get a Mario Kart or something.

ggx2ac

Seems you hit the nail in the head. Especially with the integrated line. I haven't payed much attention because I see no point in losing my mind on waiting for news so I stuck with his first statement about it not simply merging into just one system, hence the iPhone/iPad was what I thought it would end up being.

Obviously, after the rumours that have been posted by sources like euro gamer there's no reason not to think it'll be a docking device. And we'll just have to guess if it will or won't end up being a good implementation. But the point is that the statements by Iwata were vague enough to allow either interpretation, especially considering how projects can change in time, and that the statement here by PokeCo isn't any more descriptive than those statements. So this isn't any confirmation at all of how exactly it'll operate in the handheld/home console but just that it's targeting both as we've known for years.

Thank you, I've been waiting for feedback on this especially since we're talking about an interpretation and having to wait until the NX is revealed will confirm those interpretations that I have suggested.

I had no reason to look at those past statements until it was being used to discredit a hybrid device that I wanted to see if I could debunk those arguments.

Otnopolit

Confused by the "no shit" posts on the first page of the thread. It's true: nearly every rumor we've heard supported this console/hybrid concept. But they were never confirmed (hence "rumor"), so this is a huge deal in my eyes.

udivision

Confused by the "no shit" posts on the first page of the thread. It's true: nearly every rumor we've heard supported this console/hybrid concept. But they were never confirmed (hence "rumor"), so this is a huge deal in my eyes.

The original thread title was "Pokemon CEO says they'll make games for NX"

At this point it has been pretty much confirmed it is going to be a hybrid, this just adds to the evidence. Come on Nintendo just release some information already and reveal the console.

Malus

The original thread title was "Pokemon CEO says they'll make games for NX"

Pokemon CEO says they'll make games for NX?!?!?!

26123_200-25.gif

I think the thread title should be changed to reflect this news

There has to be more to NX than it's just a "hybrid". Nintendo didn't keep this NX a secret for so long just to come out and say "it's a hybrid everyone! Isn't that new?!"

Maybe SCDs, different docks, multiple forms or something else to make Nintendo want to keep it secret. I guess the two controllers for multiplayer on the go could be it, but that doesn't seem like something everyone would jump on to copy lol.

georly

There has to be more to NX than it's just a "hybrid". Nintendo didn't keep this NX a secret for so long just to come out and say "it's a hybrid everyone! Isn't that new?!"

Maybe SCDs, different docks, multiple forms or something else to make Nintendo want to keep it secret. I guess the two controllers for multiplayer on the go could be it, but that doesn't seem like something everyone would jump on to copy lol.

It's likely not going to be *just* a powerful vita that plugs into your tv. Hell, the detachable controllers rumor is enough to make it unique in the handheld market space. So a hybrid with detachable controllers is definitely something that hasn't been done before and makes it unique.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton

Once you get home with your brand new NX you can connect to the internet and download a Polaris GPU. But then you need to follow HNF and watch SMD64 24/7.

It's likely not going to be *just* a powerful vita that plugs into your tv. Hell, the detachable controllers rumor is enough to make it unique in the handheld market space. So a hybrid with detachable controllers is definitely something that hasn't been done before and makes it unique.

Yeah, I think the detachable controllers will have a big appeal to casual gamers. It's the social aspect of already having the ability for two people to play on the go. I guess for me it's useless lol. I got no one to play with :(

ggx2ac

I've suggested before that people may be over thinking it. Nintendo are in a tough spot. If they revealed their plans early on, their competitors could make things tough for them seeing as there is no way Sony and Microsoft want to risk losing market share to Nintendo like back in the Wii era.

Hence, the secret would most likely be that it's a hybrid. I don't think there is anymore hidden secrets.

Edit: Correction, I should be saying the brand new concept is a hybrid. They wanted to keep that secret.

Clessidor

Don't expect Nintendo giving you the moon. Going full on the hybrid train might already be a big game changer. Just consider a console which works as a handheld on the go, but also supports traditional home console like local multiplayer on TV with detachable controllers and additional controllers etc.
It's definitvely something completely new.

MuchoMalo

Banned

Or they just have a specific marketing plan. Don't overthink it.

Top Bottom