• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon CEO seemingly confirms NX is a console/handheld hybrid

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
In a hypothetical world where the NX was revealed 2 years ago, maybe Sony or ms would have come out with something that kind of did something similar. Smartglass, remote play. You never know.

They already did both of those more than two years ago. No one cared.

It's time

b53e1f4b1265d7d797f01c521b864280d98f7fc300117fce16db1357fddfc027.jpg

Ewww that's a terrible artstyle. I'd prefer a 3D cel-shaded Pokémon game.

Oersted

In a hypothetical world where the NX was revealed 2 years ago, maybe Sony or ms would have come out with something that kind of did something similar. Smartglass, remote play. You never know.

There were alot clamoring for a Vita with a HdMi output. Alot means forumdwellers like us.

I do think a Vita with HdMi would have had more chances.

And no, Vita TV isn't the answer.

Outside of Rumble U the Pokémon game released no official Pokémon games on Wii U until Pokken which came out this year so I think that makes it pretty likely that this isn't a console.

It's not vague.

Are you from Egypt? Because you are in denial

I just wanted to use that joke

A handheld with TV out is not a hybrid

the gamecube does not become a hybrid once the game boy player is installed

the vita is not a hybrid once the playstation tv is attached

a hybrid refers to a model that is a hybrid of a console and a handheld and would therefore have to gain additional functionality when docked, which this quote doesn't address

Raven77

I'm a big Nintendo fan, I love what they've done and continue to do for the industry. That being said, their unwillingness to officially reveal something that is openly talked about so much, for so long, is extremely frustrating to me. As opposed to building hype, I'm becoming more indifferent towards it and am starting to just not care. I don't know what the strategy is here but maybe it will pay off for them when / how they finally decide to reveal this thing.

HeySeuss

You missed my point, but I don't want to derail the thread so fuck it.

I think you might've missed his point too. Smartglass and remote play were direct responses to the WiiU pad and the WiiU was a huge failure. Yet they still copied it because of the potential for Nintendo to catch lightning in a bottle like they did with the Wii.

If they would have revealed the NX, it would be likely they would incorporate elements of what the NX does and use it as their own. It's happened multiple times in the past.

Sephzilla

While I think the NX is the worst direction for Nintendo to go in, the silver lining is that this basically forces GameFreak to make a proper home console Pokemon game finally.

BlackJace

I'm a big Nintendo fan, I love what they've done and continue to do for the industry. That being said, their unwillingness to officially reveal something that is openly talked about so much, for so long, is extremely frustrating to me. As opposed to building hype, I'm becoming more indifferent towards it and am starting to just not care. I don't know what the strategy is here but maybe it will pay off for them when / how they finally decide to reveal this thing.

What does it matter? Hype almost leads to disappointment. The NX exists, Nintendo has said as much. I'm sure you and everyone else has things to do in their lives in the meantime.

One day you will awake, and the NX will be officially revealed. Imagine that.

Hermii

I think you might've missed his point too. Smartglass and remote play were direct responses to the WiiU pad and the WiiU was a huge failure. Yet they still copied it because of the potential for Nintendo to catch lightning in a bottle like they did with the Wii.

If they would have revealed the NX, it would be likely they would incorporate elements of what the NX does and use it as their own. It's happened multiple times in the past.
If that was his point, then I missed it and we agree :)

Maxinas

Most nintendo IPs would not go well with dark/edge realistic graphics like in western games. Making the games look less pixelated on a screen would already be a significant improvement.

Majukun

While I think the NX is the worst direction for Nintendo to go in, the silver lining is that this basically forces GameFreak to make a proper home console Pokemon game finally.

why exactly?
for a company who struggled to assure a constant flux of games from their studios to 2 consoles (and that can't put any faith on getting some support from third parties either), making a single console that can do both and focus all their workforce on that seems a pretty smart idea
maybe it will not be the solution and it wil end in another fail..but i struggle to see what other direction they might have take that would have had more possibility to bear fruits...going third party and putting their games on steam?

marmoka

Banned
Well, it's nearly 6pm CET, and we have nothing from Nintendo about NX. This wasn't the day. We only that today many retailers, developers, or whatever, had to go to Germany and sign many NDAs, or something like. Whatever it was, there was some movement today from Nintendo. It's something, and this could mean that the revelation date is not far.

Once again, Emily was right, there won't be any reveal this week. We could at least get the official reveal date this week, giving us an October date, probably 4th, but nothing else. Unless somebody leaks everything... Nah, we have seen so many fakes and jokes here about the NX, that we wouldn't even believe it.

Osiris

I permanently banned my 6 year old daughter from using the PS4 for mistakenly sending grief reports as it's too hard to watch or talk to her
It's going to be stretching it to continue to call it a hybrid once it's revealed I think, I'm really not expecting anything other than a fairly competent handheld with HDMI out, except maybe the use of external controllers.

Calling it a hybrid is really just Nintendo trying to get non-handheld console fans interested in what is in reality their next handheld, just marketing fluff IMO.

TunaLover

Well, it's nearly 6pm CET, and we have nothing from Nintendo about NX. This wasn't the day. We only that today many retailers, developers, or whatever, had to go to Germany and sign many NDAs, or something like. Whatever it was, there was some movement today from Nintendo. It's something, and this could mean that the revelation date is not far.

Once again, Emily was right, there won't be any reveal this week. We could at least get the official reveal date this week, giving us an October date, probably 4th, but nothing else. Unless somebody leaks everything... Nah, we have seen so many fakes and jokes here about the NX, that we wouldn't even believe it.
Another week another no NX news

Sizzel

I know we all have NX rumor fatigue or at elast most of us do... but i am always blown away by people who are "hybrid deniers" every single leak from every source recently has said the same thing.. yet people are still skeptical or say yeah but.. it is probably two devices or more devices are coming.. Why is this such a struggle for people?

He said more features were planned for “Pokémon Go,” including player-to-player battles and character trades. But these features will come slowly to avoid overwhelming entry-level players, he added.
Bruh, entry level players are already fucked.
Even with better hardware, I don't expect much from Gamefreak.

georly

It's going to be stretching it to continue to call it a hybrid once it's revealed I think, I'm really not expecting anything other than a fairly competent handheld with HDMI out, except maybe the use of external controllers.

Calling it a hybrid is really just Nintendo trying to get non-handheld console fans interested in what is in reality their next handheld, just marketing fluff IMO.

I mainly think of it as a hybrid in terms of software lineup. In terms of form factor it's almost assuredly a handheld.

Anth0ny

I mainly think of it as a hybrid in terms of software lineup. In terms of form factor it's almost assuredly a handheld.

basically. it's a handheld that has hdmi out.

but has the first party software library output of TWO nintendo machines, all in one!

AESplusF

They'd easily continue with cel shaded graphics. With more power they could make the cel shading look even better.

I'm not saying that they shouldn't, there are just a bunch of examples where they didn't use it.
I feel like they will use cel-shading though, just because that was the decision they made with X and Y.

Pretty sure somewhat at gamefreak once said they want to ensure the main games keep the cartoony feel artwor during the transition to 3d models
That makes sense, the concept artwork hasn't really changed much it's always been cartoony.

I'm not saying that they shouldn't, there are just a bunch of examples where they didn't use it.
I feel like they will use cel-shading though, just because that was the decision they made with X and Y.
Pretty sure somewhat at gamefreak once said they want to ensure the main games keep the cartoony feel artwor during the transition to 3d models

Hermii

Yea that was a really bold prediction by Emily that there wouldn't be a reveal this week. She put her reputation on the line there.

AdanVC

Look Nintendo, I'm tired. If it wasn't for Pokémon Go, I would had quit gaming since the only console I own is a Wii U and haven't played the thing in months. So please just reveal this damn device just so I can fully go back into this hobby before it's too late!! I'm overreacting but what else can we do after 9 months of rumors and speculations??

The NX ain't a river in Egypt.

Source? :)

Edit:
Look Nintendo, I'm tired. If it wasn't for Pokémon Go, I would had quit gaming since the only console I own is a Wii U and haven't played the thing in months. So please just reveal this damn device just so I can fully go back into this hobby before it's too late!! I'm overreacting but what else can we do after 9 months of rumors and speculations??

Dang man, buy a cheap 2DS. Tons of games and should be able to find one extremely cheap.

Thabass

Gold Member
You know what'd be nice? I'm going to put this is spoiler tag, I don't want the ruin the spoiler.
IF THEY FRIGGIN ANNOUNCED IT ALREADY!

Top Bottom