• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Sun & Moon First Information - May 10th 12:00 UTC

Status
Not open for further replies.
I honestly believe they're gonna bring back Pokemon following you, just that it wasn't worth redoing for the new engine in b/w, and it wasn't a priority in XY. But Gogoat riding, soaring, more surf models, its all indicative of them going toward that direction again
I think we'll get that back in Gen VIII on the next handheld when the overworld and battles use the same models.

Joqu

I honestly believe they're gonna bring back Pokemon following you, just that it wasn't worth redoing for the new engine in b/w, and it wasn't a priority in XY. But Gogoat riding, soaring, more surf models, its all indicative of them going toward that direction again

Yes please. Just use the Mystery Dungeon models as a base (+ new ones for the new pokemon of course), they'd look just fine following the player

Yes please. Just use the Mystery Dungeon models as a base (+ new ones for the new pokemon of course), they'd look just fine following the player

Why would they go back to 2d sprites when they already have better looking 3d overworld models for every pokemon? It isn't like the later DS games which were a mix of sprites and polys, X/Y onward is full 3D

Edit: I clearly haven't been following the Mystery Dungeon games

GoldStarz

No, female. I want it to be giant and monstrous. Something on par with Gyarados in terms of looks.
I don't think you understand quite how pathetic the male Anglerfish is then. You should just hope for a general new take on the Anglerfish tbh because a female-only Chinchou evo makes literally NO sense when the main one already would be female-only in Pokemon was biologically accurate.

I think we'll get that back in Gen VIII on the next handheld when the overworld and battles use the same models.
They made the battle models to last several generations before they need to be updated and I'm pretty sure we're a long way from 1:1 overworld:battle models, so I'll see you in Gen Ten.

Game Freak, May 10th: "The game will have Pokémons in it, see you next time."
Please stop, you aren't funny.

Why would they go back to 2d sprites when they already have better looking 3d overworld models for every pokemon? It isn't like the later DS games which were a mix of sprites and polys, X/Y onward is full 3D
Uh... Mystery Dungeon stopped using sprites ages ago, the newest one came out a few months ago with every Pokemon up to that point.

They made the battle models to last several generations before they need to be updated and I'm pretty sure we're a long way from 1:1 overworld:battle models, so I'll see you in Gen Ten.
The models aren't really much higher poly than the Digimon Cyber Sleuth models, if the next handheld is as strong or stronger than the Vita it will be perfectly doable.

Seil

Have you seen the past two Mystery Dungeon games?... Super Mystery Dungeon even has all 721 Pokemon revealed at that point in it.

Edit: Too slow.

Joqu

Well no need for me to point out the whole sprite thing anymore, but yeah, Super Mystery Dungeon had models for every single Pokemon so far. They look very nice while being lower poly than the battle models, they're scaled down when it comes to the bigger pokemon to make sure they don't take up too much space, AND they've all got walking and running animations. They'd be perfect for following around the player in a mainline game.

Kinsei

Banned
I don't think you understand quite how pathetic the male Anglerfish is then. You should just hope for a general new take on the Anglerfish tbh because a female-only Chinchou evo makes literally NO sense when the main one already would be female-only in Pokemon was biologically accurate.

I know, but I want a new evo instead of a new line. If it was a new evo then it would be twice the size (or more) of a real female angler fish.

That makes no sense when the discussion was about hardware being powerful enough to use the same models between battles and the overworld.
Agreed seen it tossed around a lot when cyber sleuth is ever mentioned in conjunction with Pokemon tho. I remember I was saying the same things awhile ago and got dog piled that it would be too much work because digimon only had like 200+ models.

Uh... Mystery Dungeon stopped using sprites ages ago, the newest one came out a few months ago with every Pokemon up to that point.

The models aren't really much higher poly than the Digimon Cyber Sleuth models, if the next handheld is as strong or stronger than the Vita it will be perfectly doable.

Mm, I can't speak for the models in Cyber Sleuth, but the ones in the XY and ORAS are absurdly high poly. I think the average creature has around 10k, which for reference is how many Leon had in RE4 and the lower end of the DOA3 characters on the original Xbox. Sure they're probably scaled down for battle and whatnot, but they were definitely made to be used for a while

Agreed seen it tossed around a lot when cyber sleuth is ever mentioned in conjunction with Pokemon tho. I remember I was saying the same things awhile ago and got dog piled that it would be too much work because digimon only had like 200+ models.
What a stupid argument, people who argued that with you apparently had no notion of budget.

I really hope it's silhouettes...

tumblr_mix9mk5DD61r0rie8o1_500.png
That's cute.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
So it's now a Direct huh

The definition of 'important' is kind of subjective though, which is the issue. Some people loved Pokemon following you around in HGSS, difficulty settings in B/W--hell, the fact that HGSS had its menu always set on the bottom screen was rad as hell. But they all got rid of that.

They don't cut things that directly affect gameplay, but I think it's more than fair to say that they cut enjoyable features if they don't deem them important. They don't get rid of anything that affects the main gameplay, but everything else seems to be fair game to them.

but the menu thing is back in Gen VI, in fact much better even

I'd argue pokemon-amie does following in a much better away

Mr-Joker

Banned
The definition of 'important' is kind of subjective though, which is the issue. Some people loved Pokemon following you around in HGSS, difficulty settings in B/W--hell, the fact that HGSS had its menu always set on the bottom screen was rad as hell. But they all got rid of that.

They don't cut things that directly affect gameplay, but I think it's more than fair to say that they cut enjoyable features if they don't deem them important. They don't get rid of anything that affects the main gameplay, but everything else seems to be fair game to them.

One of the coolest feature that Game Freak added in the Johto remake was the option to auto run without having to hold B which made training so much easier but for some reason they just dropped it. Though I wouldn't mind if they dropped the roller stakes, those were a horrible idea.

Personally what I want them to do is to go back and update some of the texts such as the dialogue when teaching a Pokémon TM due it being the same text from the original gen 1 game.

There is no need for the dialogue to tell the player what the TM is as Game Freak fixed that in later generation.

For example the old text would say;

"Booted up TM 65 Shadow Claw, teach a Pokémon Shadow Claw?"

Then if a Pokémon already has 4 moves.

"Charizard already knows 4 moves, delete a move for Shadow Claw?"

"1 2 3... Poof Charizard forgot Ember and learnt Shadow Claw"

I would have it that it says;

"Teach a Pokémon Shadow Claw?"

"Delete a move for Shadow Claw?"

"Poof Charizard learnt Shadow Claw"

The second option would make swapping TM less of a chore as you wouldn't be subjected to long lines of texts.

but the menu thing is back in Gen VI, in fact much better even

Making them tiny icon isn't what I call much better.

I'd argue pokemon-amie does following in a much better away

While Pokémon Amié does a great job in allowing the player to bond with the Pokémon when they are resting but it is no substitute for Pokémon following you as the Pokémon in Amié don't react to the environment in the over world.

Mr-Joker

Banned
I want Pokemon to get hurt when you're walking if they're poisoned. I feel like that should've never been taken out.

I am actually kinda glad that they took that out as I didn't like going back to the Pokémon Center or having to worry about not having any antidote as I would black out if my Pokémon was low on health.

Tidalwave

Not necessarily. The games have always had pokemon in the overworld.

I am actually kinda glad that they took that out as I didn't like going back to the Pokémon Center or having to worry about not having any antidote as I would black out if my Pokémon was low on health.
Dude the games are too easy as it is. This is something they should do. It teaches you to carry items in case of emergencies like this.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Making them tiny icon isn't what I call much better.

err what

it's bigger than HGSS's menu

I think you're confusing the menu to the "functions buttons" which are smaller icons, but it is something you should only press when changing what appears at the bottom

Also this really brings up my gripe with ORAS's lower screen, it didn't need those pointless shit to press more into the lower screen

While Pokémon Amié does a great job in allowing the player to bond with the Pokémon when they are resting but it is no substitute for Pokémon following you as the Pokémon in Amié don't react to the environment in the over world.

it's not like walking pokemon reacted to the environment, you have to talk to it to give you a generic response rather than happening naturally

GoldStarz

I want Pokemon to get hurt when you're walking if they're poisoned. I feel like that should've never been taken out.

Any person to have ever done a Nuzlocke and lost a Pokemon to poisoning wants to strangle you right now lol

Statuses should stay in-battle only, the overworld poisoning doesn't even make any sense. If they get hurt by poison there, why don't they get hurt by it if I switch them out for another Pokemon in-battle? They're both in their Pokeballs.

Stuff like that was taken out because it's annoying, it doesn't make the game harder, just way more cheap. You want harder Pokemon, you give trainers smarter AIs, better movesets, and hold items.

Mik317

Any person to have ever done a Nuzlocke and lost a Pokemon to poisoning wants to strangle you right now lol

Statuses should stay in-battle only, the overworld poisoning doesn't even make any sense. If they get hurt by poison there, why don't they get hurt by it if I switch them out for another Pokemon in-battle? They're both in their Pokeballs.

Stuff like that was taken out because it's annoying, it doesn't make the game harder, just way more cheap. You want harder Pokemon, you give trainers smarter AIs, better movesets, and hold items.

that was taken out?

wut.

I'd always be stacked to the gills with antidotes.

wow

Siege.exe

Um, isn't that kind of tension the point of doing nuzlockes? If anything, poison outside of battle improves the nuzlocking experience.

GoldStarz

Um, isn't that kind of tension the point of doing nuzlockes? If anything, poison outside of battle improves the nuzlocking experience.

From the people I've talked to: it raises the tension, but it's annoying as fuck. Many people play Nuzlockes for added challenge, not 'tension'.

that was taken out?

wut.

I'd always be stacked to the gills with antidotes.

wow
The penalty was reducted to only leaving you with 1 HP in Gen IV and it was outright removed in Gen V.

Siege.exe

From the people I've talked to: it raises the tension, but it's annoying as fuck. Many people play Nuzlockes for added challenge, not 'tension'.

I wouldn't say it's any less annoying that losing because of a crit or consecutive turns of confusion/paralysis/infatuation/freezing. And if permadeath isn't an inherently tense factor in a game where things can easily and quickly go wrong, well maybe I've been nuzlocking wrong.

udivision

I doubt it. Gen VII is probably going to be really short, maybe even just Sun and Moon. I'm betting the latest we gen Gen VIII on NX is 2019.
Who knows though, we'll see.

I wouldn't overestimate Game Freak's ambition in that kind of area though. Making the over-world more involved (graphically) isn't something that needs to happen, although it would be nice. Using Battle models on the over world for Pokemon would mean using battle models for trainers on the overworld too, unless they'd be fine with a noticeable quality differences in the two. To further that, the world geometry would probably need to become more "complex" rather than just having the current "blocky" geometry but in higher resolution / better textures. I just feel like it would lead to a lot of design choices an not just graphical power.

But I could be completely wrong, it's just that I just prefer to temper my expectations.

GoldStarz

I wouldn't say it's any less annoying that losing because of a crit or consecutive turns of confusion/paralysis/infatuation/freezing. And if permadeath isn't an inherently tense factor in a game where things can easily and quickly go wrong, well maybe I've been nuzlocking wrong.

S'no right way to do anything tbh, but I'd definitely say that it's more annoying than a Crit or other status. Those all happen in the actual battle system, Poison Damage was literally the only way that Pokemon could get hurt in the overworld and it happened continuously unless you had an antidote (or died if you were doing No Items).

You know since Pokeman made big bucks last year, they could remake Pokemon Coliseum for the 3DS. It'll be like using lose change and make me incredibly happy.

Or well, please no Fire Fighting or Psychic. Just give me a pure Fire type like again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom