• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokemon Red, Blue, Yellow Eshop Release |OT| This Gym is Great! It’s Full of Women!

Crayolan

I'm in for Pokemon Primeape version.
Can't wait to have those old TMs again like BODY SLAM and softboiled.

I've still got my Pokemon Master Guide laying around so I may bust it out for those Oak tips...

Be sure to use your Master Ball on Fearow or Tentacruel guys. Wouldn't want to waste it on something dumb like Mewtwo.

bernardobri

Steve, the dog with no powers that we let hang out with us all for some reason
So Japan is getting an actual 3ds cartridge version? Man, they are so lucky. I thought their physical version was just a fancy box with a digital code on it.

The best team is six Alakazams, guys.

You can probably solo the entire first gen using only one Alakazam.

He is a broken Pokemon. No actual weaknesses. Hilarious Special stat (which means he's a special tank as well as hitting like a truck). Hilarious Speed stat (more Critical Hits!). A huge move pool.

Even just using Kadabra is probably fine if you can't trade.

I would like to get Red, but since there is no color I'm going with Yellow.

The game play may not have aged as well as the remakes, but the music is still 8 bit at it's finest.

RockmanBN

Won't be able to play until my 3DS gets delivered. Ugh it was supposed to ship from Amazon yesterday and still hasn't today.

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
Even though I probably wont play blue, going to buy all three. Debating on replaying either yellow or red first. Yellow is on the easier side but definitely my fav of the three.

I still have my old versus guide at home, that thing was awesome.

Is there a physical version? Physical versions in Japan , Digital only internationally

large.jpg

We never get nice things.

asagami_

Banned
I have many memories from Pokémon, but the ones related to the first generation are very special to me.

Pokémon "Rojo" was my first Pokémon game, but disappeared mysteriously with my Game Boy Color. Actually I don't miss it so much, 'cause it had a problem to save my progress, and years later I buy a Pokémon Blue cartridge so I was happy again.

At a moment of my life, after my missed Rojo, but before to get my Blue, I had a Yellow cartridge, but I think I sold it with my GBA SP. I think I will buy it again physically and digitally, I really loved the game and Pikachu back then and I think it would be nice play it in my actual GBA SP and 3DS.

So yeah, I think I will try Pokémon Red and Yellow at the 3DS.

You can probably solo the entire first gen using only one Alakazam.

He is a broken Pokemon. No actual weaknesses. Hilarious Special stat (which means he's a special tank as well as hitting like a truck). Hilarious Speed stat (more Critical Hits!). A huge move pool.

Even just using Kadabra is probably fine if you can't trade.

Don't forget Mewtwo. Mewtwo is a goddamn monster in gen 1.

but six mewtwos would just be silly

Human_me

I've bought the Yellow version from GAME (I had £2 reward points to use up).
I've got the code but can't redeem them yet due to the release date.

I WANT TO PLAY IT NOW :(

Berordn

So Japan is getting an actual 3ds cartridge version? Man, they are so lucky. I thought their physical version was just a fancy box with a digital code on it.

It's just a boxed eShop code with other goodies. Nobody's getting a cart for the actual games on 3DS.

Saiyan-Rox

I've still got my Pokemon Master Guide laying around so I may bust it out for those Oak tips...
9FYmYBS.jpg

I remember that hint about holding B and down lol I still to this day to that even though I don;t know if it actually does anything.

I've bought the Yellow version from GAME (I had £2 reward points to use up).
I've got the code but can't redeem them yet due to the release date.

I WANT TO PLAY IT NOW :(

Did the exact same thing here so I feel your pain

bman94

9FYmYBS.jpg

Holy shit that's funny. So many factually wrong things in one place.

Aren't the boxes in Japan coming with download codes? I'm pretty sure I read that somewhere.

Even comes with a town map.

Best bit is I grew up with this and while safely ignoring most of them I still try that pokeball trick to this day.

I'm not even sure you can encounter wild Tentacruel in Red/Blue.

I will never not do the Down+B thing.

Nope, can't find them in RB. Can in Yellow, if I recall.

For someone who never got into a tradiitonal Pokemon game would this be the best way to jump into the series since it's the starting point?

L95

Mm, will be getting these tomorrow with me LE Pokemon 3ds, I really wanted yellow and not R/B, lol (I mean, I'm still going to get yellow)

For someone who never got into a tradiitonal Pokemon game would this be the best way to jump into the series since it's the starting point?

Not really. I mean, you can, but the games are pretty dated and have some annoying parts to them that are fixed in later generations.

Start with Gen V (Black/White, Black2/White2) or Gen VI (X/Y/OmegaRuby/AlphaSapphire)

Neku89

So, uhm, IIRC they fixed most of the bugs for the (original) FIGS release, right? I remember clearly trying to find those level 150+ Pokémon (and Missigno.) in the Cinnabar coastline and failing miserably because they fixed the old man bug in the Italian version :(

Is the european English version
a) the same as the American one
b) on sale in Italy?
If so, I may buy the Italian Red and Yellow versions (for maximum nostalgia, those were the ones I played) and the English blue for dat glitchy goodness.

Pokemon gets better with each installment.

Unless you want to play through every gen in order or have some nostalgic attachment to gen 1, you're probably better getting XY or ORAS for your first.

L95

Honestly can't recommend the original RB. If you still want them, expect old GB games :p You're better off just getting the newest game in the mainline Pokemon series (usually)

If you can find a way to play Firered or Leafgreen, I recommend giving those a try for your first pokemon experience.

However, XY and Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire are likely more beginner friendly and much easier to legally obtain.

bman94

Probably a stupid question, but since these games are not compatible with Poke bank would It be possible to hypothetically trade pokemon that are in red version to the poke bank and then back to blue version using the poke bank on the same 3DS?

Probably going to grab Red as my copy has gone missing. Still got Blue and Yellow, even if they might not hold a save anymore.

Wonder how Miiverse moderation is going to handle shots of major glitches.

Probably a stupid question, but since these games are not compatible with Poke bank would It be possible to hypothetically trade pokemon that are in red version to the poke bank and then back to blue version using the poke bank on the same 3DS?

We don't know yet. The compatibility with Pokebank was only revealed a few hours ago. We don't know much about it I'm afraid.

Teknoman

Probably going to grab Red as my copy has gone missing. Still got Blue and Yellow, even if they might not hold a save anymore.

Wonder how Miiverse moderation is going to handle shots of major glitches.

Most Pokemon games don't allow screenshots anyway. It's possible they added that to these releases.

Top Bottom