• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokemon Red, Blue, Yellow Eshop Release |OT| This Gym is Great! It’s Full of Women!

giphy.gif

Real Hero

For someone who never got into a tradiitonal Pokemon game would this be the best way to jump into the series since it's the starting point?

Possibly if you can accept it's a really old game, it's like starting Zelda on the first Zelda. So only if you care about the history, if not just get any of the 3DS games

FrsDvl

So if I want to use Pokebank, do I need to sign up for it, before I play the game? Or will the Pokemon transfer to it once I subscribe to Pokebank?

Azuran

Banned
For someone who never got into a tradiitonal Pokemon game would this be the best way to jump into the series since it's the starting point?

The modern games are a better starting point for new players. I mean you can play this but they're really dated at this point and they're not really a representation of the series nowadays.

Teknoman

The modern games are a better starting point for new players. I mean you can play this but they're really dated at this point and they're not really a representation of the series nowadays.

It's odd that this is the one series that I can only revisit in sound and art. Playing the older titles just doesn't do it for me...

L95

So if I want to use Pokebank, do I need to sign up for it, before I play the game? Or will the Pokemon transfer to it once I subscribe to Pokebank?

It doesn't matter when you sign up for pokemon bank. It would be very bad if you had to buy Pokemon bank before you had any pokemon games lol

WaveRider

Neo Member
Gonna get that Yellow: Special Pikachu Edition.

It would be cool if they let the virtual GBC be yellow instead of the standard purple version.

KingBroly

Banned
So...since you can put the Pokemon from RBY into Bank and into Sun/Moon, that means you can swap them between games, right?

Can't wait, never owned Red, but started with Yellow version and the Yellow Gameboy Color. I remember accidentally somehow releasing my Pikachu, and blasting through the game with a Pidgeot only.

Years and years later, I found a copy of Blue from somewhere, and played it old school on a Gameboy I inherited from my Uncle.

So, here we go, Red version!

And how about a blast from the past?

Holy shit that brings back some memories!
I'm going to copy my post from the other thread for all the Missingno. glitch fans:

Remeber that your trainer name determines which additional Pokemon you can encounter using the Old Man Glitch!

This page hosts a calculator to see which name gives wich encounters: https://web.archive.org/web/20071226115844/http://glitchcity.info/misc/namegen2

You can use it to choose a name with encounters to your liking or to see which encounters the name you are planning on using will give you.

I'll be going with tsHaDow, which results in:
MissingNO. Level 178
Mewtwo Level 160
Kabutops Fossil Level 174

Whaaaa? I never knew this!! That's crazy!

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
So...since you can put the Pokemon from RBY into Bank and into Sun/Moon, that means you can swap them between games, right?
Swap between Moon and Sun? Yes

Swap between Moon/Sun and R/B/Y? No.

Importing Pokémon from previous generations into Pokémon Bank has always been a one way deal.

If you can find a way to play Firered or Leafgreen, I recommend giving those a try for your first pokemon experience.

However, XY and Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire are likely more beginner friendly and much easier to legally obtain.

Thanks all. I don't mind the dated look and stuff but I do own the 3DS games (X/Y, ORAS) so maybe I should give them a try first and then work my way back to collect the older Pokemon.

topplehat

Thanks all. I don't mind the dated look and stuff but I do own the 3DS games (X/Y, ORAS) so maybe I should give them a try first and then work my way back to collect the older Pokemon.

I feel it is really hard to go back generations, each generation makes some things easier and more interesting.

Crazyorloco

I wasn't thinking of picking this up until they mentioned we can save our pokemon on the pokemon bank.

Instant purchase now. We can put them in XY/ORAS right? if not i'm still ok. As long as I can save my pokemon.

bernardobri

Steve, the dog with no powers that we let hang out with us all for some reason
It's just a boxed eShop code with other goodies. Nobody's getting a cart for the actual games on 3DS.

Welp, I guess there's that.

Also, sucks Red/Blue won't feature color palettes. I like Yellow but for nostalgia reasons I wanted to pick Superior Red... C'est la vie.

Geido

Wow, the remarks about OP Psychic brought me back like 16 years. The metagame was completely unbalanced with people running at least 2 psychics, usually 3. Exeggutor was a viable option... Insane! Nobody dared to use poison or fighting pokemon...

Gold and Silver really balanced things out in that regard.

And now I want to download Red...

Remember

- Critical hit chance is based off your speed. Which is why Slash + Persian is a legit thing
- Blizzard has 90% accuracy, and can be bought as much as you want, so just stick it on whoever.
- Once Frozen, you will never defrost
- If Hyper Beam kills an enemy or Substitute, it doesn't need to recharge
- Waking up from sleep wastes a turn.
- There are no notable STAB moves for Bug, Ghost or Dragon.
- Because of the previous point, Psychic Pokemon basically have no weakness
- Focus Energy does absolutely nothing
- Never use Rage
- Critical hits ignore the stat ups of your enemy (as they still do). But also ignore your stat ups. A crit after a few Swords Dances does less damage than not critting. It also ignores enemy Stat Downs, so if you lower their defense (Screech or Leer for example), crits do less damage.
- Walking around the over world while Poisoned does damage and can kill your Pokemon
- Wrap/Fire Spin trap enemies for several turns while doing damage. It's basically like Sleep, except it does damage.
- Don't use Substitute if you're around 25% HP, because if you're at exactly 25%, using Sub will kill you
- Even 100% accurate moves can miss

This is weird to me, I thought Pokemon Bank was supposed to be the "final solution" to transferring between generations, it's odd that XY/ORAS would not be able to get these guys.

It might for all we know. The RBY compatibility was only announced today, We don't know much about it.

I do think since they made a point that it transfers with Sun and Moon that its likely exclusive.

entremet

Remember

- Critical hit chance is based off your speed. Which is why Slash + Persian is a legit thing
- Blizzard has 90% accuracy, and can be bought as much as you want, so just stick it on whoever.
- Never use Rage
- Critical hits ignore the stat ups of your enemy (as they still do). But also ignore your stat ups. A crit after a few Swords Dances does less damage than not critting. It also ignores enemy Stat Downs, so if you lower their defense (Screech or Leer for example), crits do less damage.
- Walking around the over world while Poisoned does damage and can kill your Pokemon
- Wrap/Fire Spin trap enemies for several turns while doing damage. It's basically like Sleep, except it does damage.
- Don't use Substitute if you're around 25% HP, because if you're at exactly 25%, using Sub will kill you
Oh Gen I. LOL.

Chase17

Excited to play yellow for the first time. Only mainline game I haven't played.

Will be switching between that and my fire emblem playthrough this week.

Remember

- Never use Rage
Yeah but I can pick Squirtle as my starter Pokémon so that cancels out all those problems. Gen I still the second best (best is G/S/C)

I won't be buying the eShop version, but I will be dusting off my old copy of Yellow to play.

Velcro Fly

These are coming tonight right?

Also after playing through the TCG video game recently, it pains me to remember how hard it is to come by pokemon like Scyther or Electabuzz or how late you get some cool ones like Magmar.

Also still have my guide that listed all the trainers and even had differences for R/B and Yellow.

Brakke

Banned
Will never forgive this game for doing Ghost Pokemon dirty. Such furious memories of watching Ash use Haunter against Sabrina in the anime but then in the game there aren't any Ghost moves and all the Ghosts are weak to Psychic.

Top Bottom