• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokemon Sun/Moon Special Demo Thread

celebi23

Is there a way to change the date once in the demo? I missed the first timed event thing (the guy outside the Pokémon Center). I tried changing the 3DS's system date & it did nothing.

Quocia

Neo Member
Anyone else concerned about the script? It seems like a massive step back from 5 and 6. Team Skull excluded, NPCs couldn't be more lifeless. And Hau is straight up the worst rival in the franchise (so far)

I like him but that was before I knew he was supposed to be the rival.
Are we sure he is ?

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Sorry as I am sure it's been asked and answered numerous times already, but how is performance on standard (non-New) 3DS? I've heard the slowdown/choppiness from X and Y is gone/greatly reduced but I wasn't sure if that's only for New 3DS.

Puruzi

Banned
Sorry as I am sure it's been asked and answered numerous times already, but how is performance on standard (non-New) 3DS? I've heard the slowdown/choppiness from X and Y is gone/greatly reduced but I wasn't sure if that's only for New 3DS.

Framerate is still not stable.

Aleh

I'm on the original 3DS and unfortunately I noticed more choppiness than XY

I don't need them shouting their names or anything like in the cartoon, but man the cries feel so much more out of place/distracting with every game. Especially now that you hear them every 10 seconds in the overworld.

Nottle

I don't need them shouting their names or anything like in the cartoon, but man the cries feel so much more out of place/distracting with every game. Especially now that you hear them every 10 seconds in the overworld.
I sort of like the weird cries. What I dislike is that Pikachu has special treatment and gets to say it's actual name.

clemenx

Banned
I rock an OG 3DS and I don't think it's worse than XY, probably the same. I haven't played XY in like a year tho.

I'm fine with it being even a bit worse. The difference in looks is fucking huge.

blueweltall

Neo Member
Is the demo time event set to real life time because I only advanced 1 day so far and I downloaded the demo the first day it came out. Night and day are off in my game too.

Is the demo time event set to real life time because I only advanced 1 day so far and I downloaded the demo the first day it came out. Night and day are off in my game too.

Night and Day is random in the Demo. The timed events are based on when you started the demo. Like if its 5 days, it will be 5 days from when you started the demo.

blueweltall

Neo Member
Night and Day is random in the Demo. The timed events are based on when you started the demo. Like if its 5 days, it will be 5 days from when you started the demo.

I'm going to restart than because it's been 3 days since I played the demo and only 1 day was taken off from the events. Not sure what went wrong.

To answer a few things:

Lillie can appear at day or night though heck knows what triggers her. I bumped into her yesterday (20/10/2016). She'll do pretty much the same thing regardless of what you ask her and there's no 'rewards' for these chance events, only for the time based ones and one-shot ones that are always available.

I got alolan dugtrio girl to appear by just hopping in and out of ten caret hill twice. She wasn't there the first time so I went back to town and re-entered and spotted her off in the distance as soon as I came in. it's easy to miss her as she's kind of tucked in a corner of the beach that you might accidentally walk past when going over to that area.

You can randomly meet hau outside the cafe and Sun's mum outside one of the shops.

Any event that actually tells you a number of days is updated at midnight and it begins counting from the first time you boot up the demo. i'm not sure if you have to have played the demo on a new day for it to count or not, as I've booted up the demo at least once each day so far.

edit: got my days mixed up, I bumped into lillie yesterday, not today :p
edit 2: actually, nevermind I just bumped into her again today XD

bibs

So the girl from the fifth day gives you nothing, just reveals it was a Machamp that helped her with her sprained ankle. Disappointing

Yep, definitely. Also curious about whether the n3DS handles it better.

I played the demo on n3DS XL and it was super smooth. No slowdowns at all for me. Way better than X/Y. (except the camera thing which seems to be at 15 fps all the time, 3d on or off, so more likely a choice from the developpers)

Forkball

Ok so I explored pretty much everything in the demo outside the special events.

+The graphics look great. The character models are smooth and having more realistic proportioned people comes off better than I expected. I was particularly impressed with the cutscene where Totem Hakamo-O approaches you. It really puts size in perspective. The interiors of buildings are also now far more detailed and look like... you know, the inside of buildings instead of a square box with a chair or two.
+The UI is the most helpful it's ever been. I'm glad we can easily see EVs. I would still prefer raw numbers, but it's better than the solo bar we got in XY (though that was a step up at the time). But I'm not sure what the blue hexagon is supposed to represent exactly. It doesn't seem to be IVs as dataminers said Greninja had max IVs. Is it just a general grid, where the max number is 500 or something and it shows your Pokemon stats relative to that set number?
+Learning that Z-moves differ in power and special/physical split depending on the move you associate it with is very interesting and could result in some unique builds. Perhaps you will have to put an unconventional move on your Pokemon just to synchronize with the Z move. I'm curious to see how well they implement it into the game.
+Riding around on Tauros was more fun than it should have been. Hopefully they get creative with the ride Pokemon. You can almost make mini action pieces with them, like an obstacle course you have to clear. I also like how you wear the ride gear in battle.

-The battles don't seem to be faster compared to XY and in fact it seems a bit slower actually getting into the battle (the point where you find the Pokemon in the grass to being able to select an attack). I tried to compare via Youtube Doubler but I couldn't get it perfect, but it does seem to me to be slightly slower in Sun/Moon. Maybe changing the text speed will help, or maybe I'm imagining it and it's exactly the same as XY.
-There are some other general slow, annoying things. Opening in the gates loads you into a new screen. Why? I really wish it was more seemless. The same with using the Pokefinder. instead of just aiming into the hole, I have to walk up to thole, press A, confirm that I want to use the Poke Finder, and then it loads into a separate screen so I can take a picture. I understand these are due to technical limitations, but it does stand out.

I rate it Pokemon/10.

Top Bottom