• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokemon Sun/Moon Special Demo Thread

KarasuEXE

+ The world looks very detailed in that new 3D style

- It seems we can interact with less objects (for some random messages). I pressed A nearing every object in this demo and I think it shows less messages than the previous did

I hope I explained my point clearly :p

- It seems we can interact with less objects (for some random messages). I pressed A nearing every object in this demo and I think it shows less messages than the previous did

Yeah, I got that impression too. I looked in every single spot it would let me for stuff to click on, and really was hoping for more little blurbs to pop up. But hey, maybe that's just the demo.

I have lots of trash cans to inspect damnit.

Yeah, I've never been a fan of content like this being locked behind a dice roll. Kind of like how I'll often reset my game repeatedly to get a female starter so I can breed them without having to wait until I unlock something like the friend safari :p

Yeah I'm giving up for now. I've been at it for about a hour and half.

Honestly, this is a plus for me, haha.

I hated the feeling like I was missing a useful item just because I didn't press A at every single rock or trashcan.

Maybe they should have kept that in there, but added a subtle sparkle to stuff that has useful stuff. But if not, it's not something in going to miss.

khaaan

Oh, there's stuff to do in the demo after you "beat" it? I'll go back to it tonight then. Generally speaking I really liked it, I thought it was cool that the trials had you doing random things. I don't know if it speaks to the rest of the game but the idea that the trials will be more like dungeons rather than gyms is pretty cool. Same with facing "boss" Pokemon with the ability to summon adds. The game also looked surprisingly nice but that might be because I haven't played my 3DS in quite a while and the last game I played was Fire Emblem. I'd love to see a detailed map on the bottom screen but that's never been Pokemon's style.

-sdp

I completed the demo once, is there nothing new in the days that aren't the (5th,12th,18th,24th)? And by "days" do they mean actual days or times you've played the demo. I'm wondering so I know if I have to keep completing the demo or just wait for the fifth day to get the other things.

Not watched these myself as I don't want to spoil it for myself but these should be the vids (the 1 day event is not included):
5th day - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tw7YKCoRL_o
12th day - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iBauafH2Yxw
18th day - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lBc6Mo7skyU
24th day - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LzNC6QAEAvg

Chiramii

Had some serious framerate issues playing the demo on a OG 3DS XL, does the extra power in the new New
I hate you Nintendo
models help with that?

LordKano

Had some serious framerate issues playing the demo on a OG 3DS XL, does the extra power in the new New
I hate you Nintendo
models help with that?

I'm playing on OG 3DS XL too. I feel like the framerate in battle is a bit better (but still stuttering) but during the Pokescope parts it's awful, and it's the same with a New 3DS.

Chiramii

I'm playing on OG 3DS XL too. I feel like the framerate in battle is a bit better (but still stuttering) but during the Pokescope parts it's awful, and it's the same with a New 3DS.
I see. :) No point in upgrading then. The battles and Pokescope segments was really bad for me. Bad bad. Overworld was smooth as silk, thankfully.

Phu

Banned
I completed the demo once, is there nothing new in the days that aren't the (5th,12th,18th,24th)? And by "days" do they mean actual days or times you've played the demo. I'm wondering so I know if I have to keep completing the demo or just wait for the fifth day to get the other things.

It means actual days.

Fireblend

Banned

I'm willing to bet there will be a lot more "press A to get a quick blurb of info" spots in the actual game, because I felt this difference between this and the amount of those in usual Pokemon games too. I wouldn't be surprised if many of the ones in the city had been removed for the demo.

Arcia

Banned
I hate you Nintendo
models help with that?

I see. :) No point in upgrading then. The battles and Pokescope segments was really bad for me. Bad bad. Overworld was smooth as silk, thankfully.

From what I have experienced myself and heard from multiple people playing on the N3DS vs. old 3DS, there were major framerate drops (like 12fps I swear) throughout the entire totem battle (even when there was only greninja and hakamo-o and no rockruff) on the old3DS. Meanwhile, other people said that the N3DS only had frame drops when rockruff was summoned and that they weren't that bad. I also read that the menus were less laggy and loading between areas and screen transitions was quick while it was worse on the old 3DS.

As an owner of the old model 3DS, I am a little concerned that the performance is going to be poor compared to the newer model. I am particularly worried about battles that might take place in the game with lots of background effects and complicated high polygon models like the UBs. Perhaps its just that the demo is unoptimized and the final game will be fine, but there is a chance that they really didn't try to make the game run acceptably on both models, which would be really shitty. I really do not want to drop $200 for a new 3DS for just this one game. I am going to keep an eye on reviews though and see if they mention performance differences.

wmlk

On N3DS, I only really noticed big framedrops with the Poké Finder. From what I'm reading, it definitely feels like I have an advantage playing with newer hardware.

Battle framerate was way smoother for on my New 3DS than X/Y/OR/AS were. I checked some footage of people playing the demo on older 3DS systems and it seemed to have more framerate drops there.

khaaan

I'm playing on n3DS XL and frame rate seemed pretty solid. If there were any frame drops outside the pokefinder segment then I missed it or the n3DS is actually being used.

LordKano

I must've resetted like 30 times now, and still none of the two special characters (Lilie and the girl with the Dugtrio) has shown up. I'm probably doing something wrong.

Chiramii

From what I have experienced myself and heard from multiple people playing on the N3DS vs. old 3DS, there were major framerate drops (like 12fps I swear) throughout the entire totem battle (even when there was only greninja and hakamo-o and no rockruff) on the old3DS. Meanwhile, other people said that the N3DS only had frame drops when rockruff was summoned and that they weren't that bad.

On N3DS, I only really noticed big framedrops with the Poké Finder. From what I'm reading, it definitely feels like I have an advantage playing with newer hardware.

Battle framerate was way smoother for on my New 3DS than X/Y/OR/AS were. I checked some footage of people playing the demo on older 3DS systems and it seemed to have more framerate drops there.

Yikes! Yeah, no, I'm not dropping 250 bucks on a New 3DS XL just to up the framerate. Just gonna hope this is a demo issue and wait for the reviews like you said, Arcia.

DylanEno

Some (mostly negative) impressions. Because I have too much time on my hands and take demos way too seriously.

They shove the Hawaiian theme down your throat and it's the most obnoxious thing. Like, no other region expressed how they were based on a certain real world location or culture quite like they've done with Alola. As someone who typically likes tropical settings (Mario sunshine is my jam), I found it really off putting.

"In Alola, we say Alola to greet people! Alola! =D"

HOW TF DOES THAT MAKE ANY SENSE

The camera angles (in the main city, anyway) made it hard to appreciate both the scenery and figure out where the hell I was. Everything looked pretty bland and unappealing.

Speaking of bland and unappealing... Sun. Like, the protagonist. The entire time he only had one expression: OuO
Just this dead eyed stare with an unwavering smile. More horrifying than the AC Villager tbh. And everyone else was all smiles too, which perfectly accented the cringeworthy dialogue (has it always been this bad? Literally zero personality - everything looks and sounds like they were designed for a toddler.

SPEAKING OF TODDLERS: the game is easier than ever. It's just a demo, and so this along with a bunch of the rest of my criticisms reflect just that and not necessarily the game as a whole, but wow. Just coasted through like it was nothing.

Rival. "Hey look it's me the guy that rests his hands in the back of his head like that one dude from kingdom hearts 2 aren't I mellow and relaxed and oh man I want some of those delicious massmslddsssfsads!"

I kinda like the professor. He seems pretty goofy, I guess. His gimmick of having Pokémon hit him is p great, although I don't think that was reflected in the demo iirc?

Game runs pretty poorly on an OG 3DS. The frame rate plummets in battles with more than 2 Pokémon, especially - the totem battle was a complete joke, it ran so bad.

The trial thing was super dull. The Pokémon Snap mechanic is G A R B A G E. And to think I was actually looking forward to that. My god, it's so bad.

UI is pretty unappealing. I'll have to go back and compare to past games, but idk I didn't like what I was seeing. Another simple little thing - you can't swap Pokémon without pressing a dedicated button. Like, I can't use my stylus to just easily swap them. Wtf

The Pokémon variety sucked, but meh. It's a demo. I guess I shouldn't have expected to run into anything but Pikipek. The gates separating grass from the main city was a weird addition. Felt like a playpen.

The music was decent, but nothing special. The only exception being team skull's theme, which is wonderfully like Hideki Nagunama. But even that - there's no catchy melody as in past games. It's all just Hawaiian ukulele shit and generic synth.

Sound design overall is bad. Everything from the constant Pokémon screeches to the outdatedness of the select jingles to the balance between music and overly loud pokeball noises (as an example) - it's bad.

Team Skull was easily my favorite thing about the demo. The way they move is so hilariously exaggerated, it's wonderful. They're the only real expressive things in this demo, IMO.

Ok some more random positive feedback:
The ability to switch Pokémon after catching one instead of being forced to box it is awesome.
Rockruff looks AMAZING in 3D like omg so cute.
The HM replacement in the form of riding animals is super cool. I just wish you didn't have to look like a complete tool wearing that outfit.
And I think that's it.

I wish GF had chosen to just not release a demo bc that sucked and was not worth the datamine. Hoping the main game is significantly better, but ehhhhhh. At least I'll always have Alolan Vulpix. <3

Yeah I'm giving up for now. I've been at it for about a hour and half.
If I find out something more specific I'll let you know but as far as I've been able to find so far it appears to be random and 're-rolled' when you change area or reset :eek:

A 'day' in the game in terms of the timed events is basically whenever your real time crosses midnight. So if you started the demo for the first time at 12:59 you'd be able to collect from the 'tomorrow' guy once he was available because you'd be past midnight by the time you finish the main trail :p

Super dumb question, but do you have to evolve the greninja you receive in the demo into Ash Greninja in order to have it in the game proper? Or do you just keep regular greninja in the demo and get Ash Greninja in the game by having a demo save on your 3DS?

wmlk

Super dumb question, but do you have to evolve the greninja you receive in the demo into Ash Greninja in order to have it in the game proper? Or do you just keep regular greninja in the demo and get Ash Greninja in the game by having a demo save on your 3DS?

It's like Moxie. You take down a Pokémon and then Greninja becomes Ash-Greninja.

Ash-Greninja is just a Greninja with a special ability. That's the one you will be transferring over.

sonto340

Yikes! Yeah, no, I'm not dropping 250 bucks on a New 3DS XL just to up the framerate. Just gonna hope this is a demo issue and wait for the reviews like you said, Arcia.
Not that this makes the situation better, but a N3DS XL is $200 new in stores and can be found for as low as $144 new on the amazon marketplace.

Kinsei

Banned
Rival. "Hey look it's me the guy that rests his hands in the back of his head like that one dude from kingdom hearts 2 aren't I mellow and relaxed and oh man I want some of those delicious massmslddsssfsads!"

Your criticisms of the demo are fair (Personally I agree with quite a few of them) but you best not be shitting on malasadas. Those things are super delicious.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
The framerate drops during the Totem fight were super noticeable yeah. I'd occasionally spot it during ordinary fights, too - the wide panning shots that take in you, your Pokemon, the opponent's Pokemon, and the opponent definitely stutter. I don't think the engine can really handle more than about three models of the detail used in battles at a time.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Seems there's some special timed encounters you can have in the demo. There's no reward for them outside of just seeing some extra content I guess.

Day time
Alolan Dugtrio - talk to a girl near the beach on the Ten Carat Hill

Night Time
Lillie - outside of pokecentre near the tree
Hau - (Sundays only) go to restaurant.

Note that these turning up apparently has some kind of random chance element to it every time you enter the area. If you're super determined you can repeatedly leave and enter the area (switching between ten caret hill and town) or soft-reset the demo (L+R+Start+Select) until they turn up

Hau isn't Sundays only - I had that event today. Additionally, you're missing one - there's a daytime event where your mom comes out of the clothes shop and has a brief conversation with you.

-Horizon-

The player character needs to have more facial expressions. That dumb smile is irking me.

Were you playing on a "new" 3DS/XL or old 3DS/XL? I played on the old and noticed the slowdown, and I was wondering if upgrading would do anything for it.

I played on the old XL.

Rush_Khan

Wait, is it just called Ash-Greninja because the OT is Ash? So if the OT was Bob it would be called Bob-Greninja?

What if there are other Pokemon with the Battle Bond ability?

DylanEno

Your criticisms of the demo are fair (Personally I agree with quite a few of them) but you best not be shitting on malasadas. Those things are super delicious.
I was moreso picking on my own inability to spell malslakadkssadsaas and now I'm just hungry for something I cannot comprehend

Menitta

I love the ability to see buffs and debuffs on the bottom screen so much. That's amazing. Same with type effectiveness on moves.

Hau isn't Sundays only - I had that event today. Additionally, you're missing one - there's a daytime event where your mom comes out of the clothes shop and has a brief conversation with you.
Ooh! Cheers crab :3

Regarding Lillie it appears she's not relegated to just night-time and you can guaranteed meet her if you set your 3DS's date to the 18th of November, apparently.

I need to more digging into this... but if anyone is desperate to see them they're all up on youtube and I don't believe there's any reward for them anyhoo so you won't miss out if you do :p

Top Bottom