• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokemon Ultra Moon and Ultra Sun for Nintendo 3DS

NoKisum

Found it!

HmprZ47.png

It got the release date wrong by a week, though.

Wait...

We're still using 4chan as a "credible" source?

Smeags

The Black/White 2 situation was certainly possible, but in that case I could play the games on my (then) brand new 3DS due to backwards compatibility. So even if it wasn't technically a 3DS game, those who had the system in favor of its predecessor weren't left behind.

I get that the Switch isn't the natural evolution of the 3DS (like DS to 3DS was), but it's still a bummer that Nintendo/Game Freak are leaving the Switch audience out in the cold. Capcom showed us it's more than possible.

I'm not a pokken fan so I can't really comment there. And the 3DS gold and silver will be nice even if I did just replay those a year ago.

But unlike most people here I'm happy to still get some use out of my 3DS. I just wish they could've shown a bit more to display what's new and updated. Sure putting it on Switch would've forced a lot of people, such as myself, to have to buy a Switch but the install base isn't there yet so I don't personally mind one last hurrah for the old system.

Riposte

There's something weird about "Ultra" being used as a title here. It's neither an enhanced version or a sequel, but both in some way.

I would really love another Pokemon game on the same level of BW2, but I really don't think we are going to get that and the way they presented USUM or USM (lol) shows that. But hey, the return of Challenge Mode would be nice enough.

The game ending up as a Switch port would justify them being a little conservative with new additions.

Tusk

Looking forward to the games. Neat it'll be a new story. Hope we got some new unique Z-moves. Also while I think Solgaleo and Lunala getting new forms is neat, hoping Necrozma has his own unannounced form and isn't just some armor attachment for the other two.

edit: Weird that a lot of people aren't getting Ultra Moon and Ultra Sun's naming scheme. It's because they're enhanced/sequel versions, and well. Ultra Beasts.

Hasney

To be fair, even without the Stars rumour, the reactions would be the same. People on forums such as these don't want to see 3DS games anymore, especially tweaked versions of existing 3DS games.

Doesn't even mean Stars isn't happening. They just didn't announce it yet. Time to chill and wait rather than get angry.

Mael

YES! I don't need to buy another Switch and we can safely buy both versions without any headache!
Thanks GF, you came through for now.

brad-t

Wait...

We're still using 4chan as a "credible" source?

Everyone said this about the leaks just before the Japanese Switch conference. And FFXV. Not to say you shouldn't be skeptical, but there's been quite a few legit leaks posted on 4chan lately.

Lynd7

Pokemon is a handheld title. Mainline games aren't coming to Switch for the same reason they never came to Wii U, Wii, Gamecube or N64. This shouldn't surprise anyone but the denial over Nintendo seeing the Switch as primarily a home console appears to be continuing.
It's a bit unnecessary at this stage that for the past year any game announced for 3DS has to have its thread flooded with "why isn't this on Switch" type comments. I wish people would move on.
Personally looking forward to hearing more on it, they were surprisingly light on details in the direct.

That stupid reasoning holds no water anymore, especially with Switch being portable as well. Trading is done online, there's no reason to not make console Pokémon games.

I agree that it's weird how light on details they were about them though. Can I skip Sun/Moon as these are mostly the same? Or is it a BW2 scenario?

xHiryu

wtf man, the switch needs more games.

just drop stars and update pokken with updated features. both nintendo and capcom are companies that are fucking oblivious as to what fans want. smh there are two of my favorite gaming companies too

Reki

A simultaneous release on 3DS/Switch was all I hoped for. You could sell to the large install base and move some units of the new console.

Too much to ask I suppose.

Cipherr

FCnR9t2.gif

The Switch is the 3DS successor.

Yeah, okay. And third pillar etc.

This feels good, because I have been on the "Switch isn't replacing their handhelds" train since the beginning while getting shit on here on GAF for it.

Now it looks more and more like the whole third pillar fake out. 3DS is still selling hardware and software and has a huge userbase, its going to keep getting games until they decide to replace it.

So maybe the Switch will have the 3rd "Eclipse" version. It would make sense to name it differently to differentiate it from the 3DS versions. That screenshot from April has a lot of things right to just be straight up conjecture.

Top Bottom