• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokemon Ultra Moon and Ultra Sun for Nintendo 3DS

I hope these fail miserably so GF is not so damn fiscally conservative and supports their bread and butter platforms.

I knew it. They did the same damn thing with Black and White 2 and it made no sense back then. It makes no sense now. Hope that Pokemon Go train lasts you.

kaioshade

As someone who wants to move on from 3DS, this disappoints me. Hopefully they can make the purchase of this system worthwhile as a Pokemon fan (yea i am actually excited about Pokken, but wanted a mainline entry)

Right now MH is my anticipated game, but lord knows when Capcom is actually going to bring that over.

Joqu

Actually Crystal was remade in HGSS. They took the story from that and integrated it into the existing story from Gold and Silver. Yellow is an exception considering it's more anime-inspired and more difficult to simply cram into the Pokemon games' canon.

Remaking Emerald means a much stronger story where you get to see both sides' motivations and actually have to stop each of them (vs. ORAS where you get a fleeting mention of the other team and nothing else), Rayquaza fits better as a result rather than forcing some dumb postgame fetch quest that's pretty pointless to the story, and then there's gameplay stuff like more to do in Hoenn, Gym Leader rematches, etc. There's plenty of reasons to want to remake Emerald over RS.

This just hurts to read. Give me my Emerald remake, Game Freak. :(

foltzie1

Install base of 65+ million vs an install base of ~3 million.

Game Freak makes prudent business decisions.

Maybe next year once Switch has a larger install base.

umvc3_moveset__guzma_by_anti_ho0f-dardekv.png

Yes, but what happened to yur boi?

Did he go ahead and create a Bug Gym?
Or is he back to his criminal ways?

DR2K

Banned
Anyone else excited for their 3DS? Pokémon Ultra and Shadow of Velentia and I'm set for this year. :)

Joqu

Three of the best ever Pokemon games, Emerald, Platinum and Black2/White2 are 'third' versions. I'm very excited for this.

Add HeartGold/SoulSilver and you've basically got a list of my favourite Pokemon games. So yeah, I'm pretty confident this'll be a really good one.

Actually Crystal was remade in HGSS. They took the story from that and integrated it into the existing story from Gold and Silver. Yellow is an exception considering it's more anime-inspired and more difficult to simply cram into the Pokemon games' canon.

Remaking Emerald means a much stronger story where you get to see both sides' motivations and actually have to stop each of them (vs. ORAS where you get a fleeting mention of the other team and nothing else), Rayquaza fits better as a result rather than forcing some dumb postgame fetch quest that's pretty pointless to the story, and then there's gameplay stuff like more to do in Hoenn, Gym Leader rematches, etc. There's plenty of reasons to want to remake Emerald over RS.
ORAS is so weird. I do consider it better than the original RS for what they bring to the table, but all of the stuff that Emerald added that got left out makes it difficult to consider them "definitive". I would honestly say I still consider Emerald the best way to experience Hoenn.

It makes me wonder how they'll handle the Platinum content in a potential DP remake.

antibolo

Banned
I hope these fail miserably so GF is not so damn fiscally conservative and supports their bread and butter platforms.

I knew it. They did the same damn thing with Black and White 2 and it made no sense back then. It makes no sense now. Hope that Pokemon Go train lasts you.

B&W2 made more sense considering how the 3DS could run DS games.

ChrisD

I really wanted this. I don't think they're ever done this in a Pokemon game except for the phantom Marowak, right?

Dang, I can't remember what the phantom Marowak fight was like. But that's likely the only time, yeah. I kind of remember B2/W2 having some standard "boss" that was a big robot, but it was just in the Pokemon Hollywood side-content? And you had to play Simon Says to beat it, if memory serves correctly. So it wouldn't really count.

MomoQca

So if USUM is releasing in November, then does that mean Super Mario Odyssey comes out in December and Xenoblade Chronicles 2 in October?

Tall4Life

Crazy thought, maybe Pokemon would make people buy a Switch just for it. Why would any developers put their games on a first or second year console at all when its sales will be less than the previous iteration.

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
Crazy thought, maybe Pokemon would make people buy a Switch just for it. Why would any developers put their games on a first or second year console at all when its sales will be less than the previous iteration.
Uhhhh I can't find a Switch to buy.

Joqu

ORAS is so weird. I do consider it better than the original RS for what they bring to the table, but all of the stuff that Emerald added that got left out makes it difficult to consider them "definitive". I would honestly say I still consider Emerald the best way to experience Hoenn.

It makes me wonder how they'll handle the Platinum content in a potential DP remake.

Yeah, me too. I really love a lot of the ORAS stuff, DexNav is great for example, but I'd still consider Emerald the best version and it really bothers me. ORAS should have been definitive.

Aters

So is this a sequel or an enhanced edition?
I cancelled my Sun pre-order when I heard about Star. Maybe I should buy Sun now.

I've traded in AS after playing it once, while still keeping Emerald and have replayed it more times than I can count after buying it as a kid. I just struggle to understand why GF couldn't integrate the parts of Emerald into ORAS (especially when HGSS and the original GSC allowed you to catch both mascot legendaries, plus at this point, everyone has them so its not unique).That's why I have no hope for the 4th gen remakes as they'll just rinse-repeat with what they did with ORAS.

FinalAres

I wont lie, I'm so pissed off.

I know I'm not entitled to anything, but this decision was made with short term cash in mind, rather than long term platform development, or the support of early adopters. It will be the same if Nintendo announce a SNES classic at E3.

Nothing about Nintendo over the last few months has suggested it's learned anything from its mistakes over the last decade. What's worse is that Nintendo seem slower than they ever were at anything. This first year for Switch is going to be a ccrraaawwwlll. I also do appreciate this isn't just a Nintendo decision, but it will be to a great degree.

Yeah, me too. I really love a lot of the ORAS stuff, DexNav is great for example, but I'd still consider Emerald the best version and it really bothers me. ORAS should have been definitive.
This is most likely the reason we haven't had a proper third version since Platinum. GF can revisit these games for the inevitable remake and start adding content then.

This will sell 8M units plus.

MicH

The meltdowns are ridiculous. There was no way they would jump platform in the middle of a generation. If they didn't put Black 2 White 2 on the 3DS then there was no way Ultra Sun/Moon were going to Switch.

This is pretty much what I expected

LotusHD

Banned
The meltdowns are ridiculous. There was no way they would jump platform I'm the middle of a generation. If they didn't put Black 2 White 2 on the 3DS then there was no way Ultra Sun/Moon were going to Switch.

Pretty sure most people were assuming it'd release on both.

Tall4Life

The meltdowns are ridiculous. There was no way they would jump platform I'm the middle of a generation. If they didn't put Black 2 White 2 on the 3DS then there was no way Ultra Sun/Moon were going to Switch.

In the middle of the generation? You realize the 3DS is 6 years old, right?

sleepnaught

That was every developers reason to skip Wii U. With that attitude, Switch will suffer the same fate. Mario and indies are only going to take it so far.

Can you imagine if Sony or Microsoft made a major last gen game exclusive just a few months after PS4/XB1 was released?

MomoQca

SMO will be on the same day as USUM. They always do a handheld+console release on that day.

That's essentially my thought process. Someone keeps telling me "lol, nope. Mario = Dec 'cuz Pokemon = Nov"...

XB2 in NA2017 is wishful thinking.

Sorry, but this is sounds like an uninformed guess. If you'd closely followed the game's development, then you'd realize that it's really not that unlikely to hit 2017 in the west.

Top Bottom