• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT11| Well this is exciting

Status
Not open for further replies.

HylianTom

Banned
I hope Cuban gets in at least one audible guffaw that sets Trump off.

This almost feels like it's going to be a two-against-one debate. Cuban would be able to provide silent, visible reactions off-stage that Clinton cannot (she'll be able to stay in her "straight woman"/Between Two Ferns persona), and Trump will be forced to control his urge to react.

And we all know how that goes.

The TV cameras will stay on the two candidates for the most part, meaning that Trump reacting to Cuban would come-off poorly to the home audience.

I am so damn intrigued by how this could play-out - this is sooo much fun!

Eh...I think you are off a little bit. i work in government, but we have an EXTREMELY strict social media policy for everyone from the top all the way down the most entry level clerk that generally says "be smart and don't post anything" as well as a clause in the code of ethics that says that everything you do even while off the clock can reflect poorly on the agency and can be grounds for termination.

There's an understanding that a company's employees to some extent are reflective of the company itself and who it chooses to hire- NOT terminating someone going out of their way to spread toxic messages in public reflects on the agency/company itself and not in a good way. It's grounds for termination in that case- and we've won a lot of unemployment cases on those grounds.

Yeah. I know people who've been fired for stuff like this. Friends even.

And where do I draw the line? Somewhere underneath someone in Palmer's position. I don't have to be any more specific than that. At least under that. If you want to throw out some scenarios we can try and drill it down, but the person on the cover of Time magazine representing your company is definitely above the line.

Bronx-Man

Banned
Hillary could go on the Eric Andre Show.
tumblr_mxlx0zAwZY1qb0wv3o2_400.gif

East Lake

Well, there's one anecdote right upthread where Manmademan points out that in his government office the rule is basically "employees are not allowed to post anything controversial to social media". Government jobs have a pretty big problem with this in general. You get occasional stories about teachers getting fired because parents don't like what twenty-somethings do for fun. I would guess that a really large number of employees self-censor what they non-anonymously post online because of concerns about this, though I don't have numbers. But I don't think I need numbers to say that the sort of argument you actually get from liberals about free speech and employment is not very liberal, though them being unaware of a bigger problem could explain why they don't seem to have thought much about the issue.

As for how important this is, I think from a liberal perspective this just depends on how important you think free speech is. Obviously it's pretty easy to rhetorically downplay the importance of being able to say controversial things, but the arguments for why free speech is a good thing are old and easy to find and I don't really see the need to get into them. My argument here is that liberals don't have good reasons to distinguish in the way that they often do between the government suppressing speech and employers (including in some cases the government acting as an employer) suppressing speech.

I actually feel like modern liberalism tries to do quite a bit to maximize liberty, with some limits to just how much redistribution we're willing to do or how much we're willing to help poor people in other countries. The things you can't touch are the things where enforcing the law would itself be more of an imposition on liberty than what you're trying to correct. So, like, you could make an argument here that employers just have a really important freedom-of-association right to employ whoever they want, but this would not be very persuasive because in general liberals don't seem to feel like this is actually a really important feature of the employer-employee relationship - that's why liberals like anti-discrimination laws. On the other hand, it is bad that racists don't want to associate socially with the people they're bigoted against, but people's right to hang out with whoever they want is really important and we're not going to try to legislate and micromanage that people not be racists in deciding who they're friends with. What things do you have in mind?

This is probably the last from me for a while because I lost my home internet connection and won't have it back on for a little while.
I think one distinction between state/non-state in this type of circumstance is that the moral authority doesn't come from the government. So you could perhaps imagine a scenario opposite of what liberals like where a person is fired for an extreme liberal view, but it happens while conservatives have majority control over government power. It might a have similar result to outright state censorship but an internal censor alone might help to avoid undermining the government's role and authority in people's lives.

I don't have anything in mind, just don't see a substantial benefit of a law like that at this moment. I'm not a fan of hate speech laws either though so the hate speech qualifier you have on it doesn't make it palatable to me.

re: internet. No problem, can talk about it later or when the next ceo gets fired.

This fucking election.

Gary Johnson blames ‘troll army’ for rumor that running mate might quit

"What happened was that the New York Times came out with an article, saying that somehow we're a threat to Hillary," Johnson said. "Overnight, there was an Internet troll army unleashed on our campaign. Not only that, but a whole bunch of political pundits somehow came out of the woodwork. It was all very coordinated and it all happened, amazingly, right after that article."

Tamanon

Banned
I feel I haven't heard anything about Johnson besides his global warming nonsense. Guess he's trying to play the media blame game?

Johnson is on all 50 and DC.
Stein is on 39, I think? I know she's not in Nevada or North Carolina.

I forgot I knew that about Johnson already, which is what I was really asking about.

I'm afraid undecideds will take shelter under the Johnson umbrella and cost us states like Ohio by narrow margins.

royalan

So Gennifer Flowers will come to the debate.

Oh gurl.

Hillary had no problem paying Ms. Flowers dust 25 years ago and I don't see why she wouldn't have a problem doing so on Monday. Why she keeps insisting on playing herself after all these years...

#Ashes2Ashes

#Dust2SideChicks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom