• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Potential NE/MA Snow Storm 2.0 Monday - Wednesday

Status
Not open for further replies.
650x366_02041507_hd27-2.jpg

Snow will impact portions of the mid-Atlantic and New England next Monday through Wednesday.

However, the extent and intensity of the snow are not set in stone at this time.
The areas of snow will evolve as arctic air advances eastward from the Midwest and two storms track northeastward near the Atlantic coast.

According to AccuWeather Chief Meteorologist Elliot Abrams, "How extensive and how heavy the snow is from place to place will depend on how the colder air and the two storms interact with each other."

What to expect early next week

At this time, a repeat of the late-January blizzard with 2-3 feet of snow over a large area appears highly unlikely. It is also unlikely for snow to fall continuously for during the three-day period from Monday to Wednesday. More often than not, there will not be accumulating snow during the period.

During the January blizzard, there was a very sharp northern edge to the snow. The storm setup is different for early next week. There are likely to be multiple pockets of accumulating snow intertwined with non-accumulating flurries scattered throughout the mid-Atlantic and New England.

There is the potential for enough snow to fall to create slippery travel, to cause disruptions to daily activities and to trigger flight delays from portions of Virginia to Maine during the first few days of next week.

Depending on the track and strength of the storms and where the snow persists for several hours, parts of the region could receive a couple of inches to perhaps a foot of snow.

Scenarios on the snow next week

Early indications suggest that there will be two main areas of moderate to heavy snow, with lighter snowfall in between, during Monday to Wednesday.

A swath of moderate to heavy snow may sweep from the mid-Atlantic through much of New England, with widespread and significant travel disruptions, if an Atlantic storm remains weak and remains at sea on Monday. This would allow a second storm from the Midwest to become stronger and to move slowly toward the Northeast.

Should the Atlantic storm become very strong, it is more likely to hug the coast or perhaps turn toward Nova Scotia. In this case, heavy snow would move quickly northward through coastal New England with a void of snow from western New England to the central Appalachians on Monday into Monday night. Another batch of light to moderate snow and flurries, associated with a weaker Midwest storm, would then rotate eastward across the mid-Atlantic during Tuesday into Wednesday.

Regardless of the two storm tracks and their intensities, the weather pattern from Monday into Wednesday will turn wintry with areas of accumulating snow scattered about mid-Atlantic and New England.

Only if one of the storms strengthens rapidly and stalls would snow accumulate 1-2 feet, leading to travel shutdowns

http://www.accuweather.com/en/weath...-northeastern-us-monday-to-wednesday/55213828

Models aren't in agreement yet.

People in Boston will see snow tomorrow as well.

GFS

post-16-1454602608_thumb.jpg

GGEM

post-16714-1454605606_thumb.png

Kaako

Felium Defensor
I hope it misses us this time around completely. Don't feel like shoveling again just yet. xp

I'll believe it when it's closer. Couple weeks ago before the storm that hit southern New England and the Mid-Atlantic, MA was projected to get all kinda of snow and most places didn't get more than a few inches.

I was really hoping we'd escape this winter after today was 55 degrees out. We're supposed to get a few inches tomorrow but that aint shit.

But I'm not minding El Nino winter so far. Last year, we were the snowiest city in the US and it absolutely sucked, and so to have about 6" total of snow this winter so far, plus a smattering of days in the 40s and 50s over the last month, I'm happy as hell.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Sounds like it shouldn't be enough to really worry about.

Mully

This system is called a Miller B. The blizzard a few weeks ago was a Miller A.

A Miller B is a more complex system than a Miller A. Miller Bs are really weak storms that redevelop and form a new low pressure center over the ocean. Miller Bs tend to reform somewhere between the Delmarva and just south of Long Island. These storms usually form and bomb out too late for areas like DC, Philly, and NYC. New England and eastern Long Island normally jackpots during these storms.

Miller As start as a strong low over the Gulf or Gulf coast and continue to intensify as they move up the Eastern Seaboard. It's a much simpler storm that the models can sniff out sometimes 10 days in advance.

Getting the basics out of the way, this storm hasn't been the most consistent on the models. One day it's a bomb, the next day, it's out to sea. The problem here is that although the models haven't been consistent with the lower level dynamics and precipitation, they've been pretty consistent with upper levels. The upper trough cannot consolidate all of the energy and does not go negative (push the storm back to the coast) quick enough to impact areas like NYC and southern New England.

I'm not sure what to think at this point. There's too many things that have to come together. We'll see what happens over the next day or two. Boston and points north should start thinking about preparedness (shovels,salt).

More on this when I get home.

So it'll be a normal February day in Rochester.

I was wondering where the snow had been this month. It was almost 60 yesterday. I was enjoying not almost killing myself on ice or breaking my back shoveling every day.

Patryn

I'll believe it when it's closer. Couple weeks ago before the storm that hit southern New England and the Mid-Atlantic, MA was projected to get all kinda of snow and most places didn't get more than a few inches.

I was really hoping we'd escape this winter after today was 55 degrees out. We're supposed to get a few inches tomorrow but that aint shit.

But I'm not minding El Nino winter so far. Last year, we were the snowiest city in the US and it absolutely sucked, and so to have about 6" total of snow this winter so far, plus a smattering of days in the 40s and 50s over the last month, I'm happy as hell.

Tomorrow's snow will be bad simply because the heaviest of it will hit during morning rush hour.

There is actually a massive snow threat for Providence to Boston tonight that isn't being reported on...

4-7 inches at best isn't massive. It's not great, but compared to last year it's nothing.

spyder_ur

Hmmm - after the last couple days here in Boston were 50+ it almost felt like we were out of the woods (though I knew better). Supposed to get maybe 4 -8 inches overnight through tomorrow morning in a storm that it didn't seem they saw coming. Then this on Monday-Tuesday?

Honestly, I would be fine with no real snow this winter, but getting a day off work doesn't seem too bad either. Given the timing tomorrow, I think there's a decent chance we get a delayed start or maybe even cancelled.

Actually they (at least the Boston weathermen I pay attention to) kind of nailed that storm after it was updated Wednesday or so as going out to sea after slamming the mid-atlantic and NYC. We actually got a bit more than they were predicting, but yeah a good reason to check back closer to the storm.

Checking in from Cape Cod. It was 56 degrees earlier today. Tomorrow we will get 8 ish inches off snow. After last year, I just say... bring it. We can take it.

Oh, and other parts of MA may have only got a couple of inches in that snow fall a couple of weeks back, but here on the Cape we got about 4 inches more than they predicted. Some places had 12+ inches. Again. Bring it. We're ready.

Fuck it, bring it on. Nothing will top last year, but at least this year I've committed to making something of a shoveling playlist.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Dad lives in Western, MA and tells me they've gotten little more than a dusting this season. They could use the snow badly.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
Yo we are just not getting over 1.0. It looks like it could either lightly hit here in Baltimore or it could be a little more than half a foot. Ugh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom