• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pride Toronto votes to remove police floats and marches

Status
Not open for further replies.

wamberz1

LGBT can and does intersect with BLM. If the police aren't working for the entirety - both parts - of that community, then they don't deserve to be treated like they're these great allies. They're only allies to one part of the community. The onus is on the police to stop profiling. If they do so, then by all means, welcome them back. But it's up to the people who are persecuted unfairly to say when this is ok, no one else.
Punishing bad behavior is a weaker motivator than rewarding good behavior. It's the reason we don't hit kids with belts anymore.

Frankly I am surprised Pride Toronto actually voted in favor of this. As far as BLM Toronto protesting the police at pride I don't find that surprising nor should anyone. As soon as you recognize that the police and black people do not get along (in general, obviously this is not everyone on either side obviously) and BLM Toronto especially do not adore the Toronto police (what with all this carding shit among other things), it shouldn't be shocking to anyone. Shoulder shrug, I don't particularly care if the state is not represented in private events especially at the expense of actual people in those communities.

Yeah, a group whose views seems to be fundamentally dismissed from the very beginning, which is why I started posting in here to begin with

So black people who don't want to be racially profiled should just be quiet? Are they not protesting right for ya? What would MLK say, eh?

Look, nobody wants to hear that they've got a bias, but hoooly there's a lot of BLM dismissal in here. Maybe take a look at why.
No, there's dismissal of your poor arguments in favor of a bad decision that will hurt minority progress while not helping the underlying g issue you purport to want to fix.

evanmisha

But this actually proves the point of why the police should not be banned from participating. the ill treatment the police gave gay and lesbians in the past was a huge disgrace to the city and to the police force. Over time the police have come to change their attitude towards the lgbt community. This is in part due to social changes, but also internal changes to the police. With attitude changes, individuals felt they did not have to hide their sexual orientation, and more and more came out in especially tough fields like the police force. Because of their bravery to do so they also wanted to change the internal attitudes the police held and pushed for changes from within to acknowledge them, acknowledge the community and to extend out into the community to build better relations. This was not an overnight thing. This change in attitudes from inside of the force and the change of attitude from the community to accept the police has taken decades to build up.

The police themselves even acknowledge the bath house raids http://tpsnews.ca/stories/2016/06/acknowledging-past-recommitting-inclusion/

To throw strong ties that have taken a long time to build away is just a terrible mistake that only does harm.

Yeah, they acknowledged it 35 years later. There are many who believe that we still have a long way to go before celebrating that institution as queer people. I don't see anything that would lead me to believe their concerns are unfounded. I know many trans people of color in the city of Toronto who have been personally victimized by the Toronto Police Services. Why would they feel welcome marching with uniformed officers? Why would a queer officer want to discount that concern?

None of it makes sense to me because frankly I don't give a damn about Pride Toronto as it is today. The only thing it serves to celebrate is the legitimization of queer people as sources of profit. People don't even know why it started or care that our interests are still under attack every day here in this very city. People want to drink and fuck and get wasted in the streets. For them, that's Pride. For me, that's Tuesday. I couldn't care less who does and doesn't march behind the Pepsi float. If you want to hear why some queer people and specifically queer people of color feel victimized by the Toronto Police Services, I'd recommend asking them. This city isn't that big. As for me, I've had more than enough of this story on Facebook.

If you want to change the minds of BLM TO organizers or come to understand their perspective, I sincerely implore you (and everyone in this thread) to reach out directly to them. Go out for coffee. They don't bite. For all the talk of community engagement and unity in this thread I hope we can put our money where our mouths are.

So the point of this parade is for inclusion, yet they opted for exclusion.
Hypocritical.

See? People don't give a damn about what Pride is or was. They think it's a party. A celebration of inclusion! 'What joy! We're not criminals anymore!' The sad part is that they might not be wrong.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Yeah, they acknowledged it 35 years later. There are many who believe that we still have a long way to go before celebrating that institution as queer people. I don't see anything that would lead me to believe their concerns are unfounded. I know many trans people of color in the city of Toronto who have been personally victimized by the Toronto Police Services. Why would they feel welcome marching with uniformed officers? Why would a queer officer want to discount that concern?

This

Put yourself in their shoes. This parade is supposed to be inclusive for all LGBTQ people, yet has multiple floats celebrating the institution that discriminates and oppresses them to this day. While this is a PR disaster for all parties involved, I cannot blame BLM for wanting this at all. Remember that the Pride parade started as a protest against police discrimination, so this is completely in keeping with that spirit.

BLM can go fuck themselves if they start targeting other minority groups like the LGBT community regularly.

Oh look, a person that doesn't understand why they disrupted it the last time.

Hint: same reason BLM disrupted Bernie Sanders. LGBT orgs tend to focus on white LGBT people to the exclusion of others.

And I think getting the police out of the parade is a good thing, because guess what? Not all black people are straight. There are black LGBT people who are subject to harassment from the police, and it's frankly insulting that white people are in here demanding that they march in a parade alongside the same org that oppresses them daily.

kamspy

One of the co-founders of BLM Toronto has tweeted about allah helping her restrain herself so she does not kill white people and men. Also believe that melanin is a sign of superior intelligence....so yah

Sounds like a grade A bigot.

Hint: same reason BLM disrupted Bernie Sanders. LGBT orgs tend to focus on white LGBT people to the exclusion of others.

And I think getting the police out of the parade is a good thing, because guess what? Not all black people are straight. There are black LGBT people who are subject to harassment from the police, and it's frankly insulting that white people are in here demanding that they march in a parade alongside the same org that oppresses them daily.

Are there oppressive laws aimed at blacks in Canada?

knkng

The issue is that it's not just the police organization that is being removed, but LGBT members of the police force are being restricted from wearing their uniforms. They are being told that they can't represent themselves as who they are. Even if you have a problem with them, they should have the right to participate as they see fit. LGBT members within the police department is a fact of life, you can't just make things like that disappear because you don't like the police as a whole.

I wonder if everybody would be on board with banning crucifixes and hijabs from the parade as well?

FyreWulff

The issue is that it's not just the police organization that is being removed, but LGBT members of the police force are being restricted from wearing their uniforms. They are being told that they can't represent themselves as who they are.

policeman isn't an identity

I wonder if everybody would be on board with banning crucifixes and hijabs from the parade as well?

So basically your comparing a government work uniform to religious clothing? Nice. This just highlights how ridiculous peoples reaction to this whole thing is.

You don't need to be in a work uniform to show pride for who you are. And for many minorities abused by police, it represents a symbol of violence and oppression. Can't believe how many people here cant understand that. You shouldn't have to appease to police forces, you already pay taxes for them to do their job. They can be queer and proud without being a work uniform, because thats all it is: a government work uniform. Stop glorifying it be something its not.

Police aren't the only state participants. What about firemen?

What does that have to do with my point? The police are agents of the state. A hijab or a crucifix is not an identifier of state authority. So that comparison is not valid.

As for firemen I dunno, considering I don't know of any conflict between the LGBT community and the Fire Department (someone please enlighten me if I am incorrect) I suppose they didn't feel it was necessary. But in general, I (highlighting here, I am speaking just for me) don't particularly care if representations of the public state are ban from private events.

grumble

I still don't support this when the police are trying to establish a good relationship with the community. It especially sucks for LGBT officers.

Agreed on both counts. If the LBGT wants to damage their relationship with the law enforcement community, I almost couldn't think of a better way. What a stupid decision. This is the kind of idiocy that ruins the entire movement.

Feedback oriented: I was once hurt by police and want to hurt them back, let's kick them out of the parade and make sure that they know the police are not welcome! I want to cut off my nose to spite my face!

Goal oriented: I want to improve the lives of LGBT people in Toronto and the world and improving our relationship with the police is a big part of that. I want to include them in everything we do and get them to be an important part of the movement. Use this as a tool to get us there.

knkng

The police are, at the end of the day, a function of the state. I think it' a tiny bit different than a crucifx or a hijab.

You're right, the police at least have a function in society.

policeman isn't an identity

So we can restrict anything that doesn't fall under the vague term "identity"?

So basically your comparing a government work uniform to religious clothing? Nice. This just highlights how ridiculous peoples reaction to this whole thing is.

You don't need to be in a work uniform to show pride for who you are. And for many minorities abused by police, it represents a symbol of violence and oppression. Can't believe how many people here cant understand that. You shouldn't have to appease to police forces, you already pay taxes for them to do their job. They can be queer and proud without being a work uniform, because thats all it is: a government work uniform. Stop glorifying it be something its not.

And religious symbols mean even less, and represent far worse. A literal symbol of violence and oppression to the LGBT community, and people still actively choose to participate in those organizations. And yet I would not ask a person to refrain from wearing those symbols at Pride, because if you are at Pride then I will assume that you are the exception and not representative of your abusive organization. I won't punish a gay person for choosing to be a part of the Catholic church, and representing themselves as such. Likewise for the police.

Isotropy

Ridiculous. I'd be interested to know exactly who was eligible to take part in this "vote", as they certainly don't seem to be representative of the reaction to the events at the parade.

You're right, the police at least have a function in society.

Hahaha damn, this is a pretty amusing response to an actually valid point I made. But ya know, you're just being bratty and I'm not really here to make you less bitter so shrug. Representations of the state are different from private representations. It's not a hard concept.

Dead Man

It's pretty insulting to see people telling queer people their opinion doesn't matter in their own parade. It's disappointing to see the lack of concern for vulnerable LGBT people who may see the police presence in the parade and feel they can then go to those police if fuckwits bash them or something.

hatchx

Banned
Torontonian here, and quite disappointed. It was nice seeing the police float, it represented support and inclusion.

This demand on BLMs part to divide is, in my opinion immature and short sited.

I'm not religious in the least, but what would Jesus (the fictional character) do? His character had a great approach to this type of thing. Maybe ghandi is a better example? IDK

knkng

Hahaha damn, this is a pretty amusing response to an actually valid point I made. But ya know, you're just being bratty and I'm not really here to make you less bitter so shrug. Representations of the state are different from private representations. It's not a hard concept.

And yet the subject of the ban revolves around treatment of a minority group from said organization. In one case an LGBT person is an employee of a state organization, in the other case an LGBT person is a member of a tax exempt organization that serves no particular function. What does that matter?

I would not restrict a person based on their religion or profession, even if black people have suffered abuse at the hands of the police, or LGBT people have suffered abuse at the hands of the church (and I can confirm that for you). If you want to participate at Pride, and represent yourself as who you are in life, then by all means you should be able to do so.

Koodo

Banned
BLM can go fuck themselves if they start targeting other minority groups like the LGBT community regularly.
BLM Toronto is significantly made up of (and was founded by) queer and trans people of colour. Here, I'll highlight in red what part of the LGBT community they belong to:

LGBT

Flux

Torontonian here, and quite disappointed. It was nice seeing the police float, it represented support and inclusion.

This demand on BLMs part to divide is, in my opinion immature and short sited.

I'm not religious in the least, but what would Jesus (the fictional character) do? His character had a great approach to this type of thing. Maybe ghandi is a better example? IDK

Yeah I said it earlier too. I went to the parade for the first time this past summer. It really felt like the police were part of it and just another float that represented our community. The BLM cofounder just wedged the divide here. Can't really fight it I guess, just support them when they are allowed back. Sooner or later the tantrum will be over and we will all be fighting over nothing.

And yet the subject of the ban revolves around treatment of a minority group from said organization.

It's not that it's an organization that is the problem. It's that it's the state and that organization has considerable power over the general populace. A group with the power to crush you because they wield power far above an ordinary citizen. What you have to recognize is this is not about any old person or group, it's about the police, direct agents of applying the states will. If you don't want to understand the difference here I can't really help you. This doesn't have much to do with whether I actually feel this method will be effective in achieving the end goal, but the justification presented is entirely valid as far as I am concerned.

In one case an LGBT person is an employee of a state organization, in the other case an LGBT person is a member of a tax exempt organization that serves no particular function. What does that matter?

The state hold considerably more power over regular citizens than some religious person. I mean, that is fairly obvious. It's not people holding crucifixes and wearing hijabs who bitched and bitched and resisted the abolish of carding was it?

I would not restrict a person based on their religion or profession, even if black people have suffered abuse at the hands of the police, or LGBT people have suffered abuse at the hands of the church (and I can confirm that for you). If you want to participate at Pride, and represent yourself as who you are in life, then by all means you should be able to do so.

They disagree, I find the basis of that disagreement valid. That's why I am saying this requires more thought than "that's stupid". We can disagree all we want but I find it hard to believe all these people here really can't see the point being made. And again, when the state is involved, there is a duty of care required much higher than that of ordinary citizens, I don't see how people are gonna argue otherwise.

Koodo

Banned
Funny how Yusra's tweet is being taken as the smoking gun of the group's "bad intentions" while the police department's literal smoking gun over the fatally wounded head of a minority should be assessed in shades of grey.

Apathy

Why is she still allowed to be a leader of the group when she came up with such disgusting stance?

Hell they got one woman that is being suied by the university of toronto that when she left she claimed 1900 hours of overtime. corrupt as fuck

Maximus.

Sad the Pride organizers got bullied by BLM to remove the police floats. I liked the idea of everyone being included in the parade and was not a fan of the previous protest of the police attending.

Dumb decision, especially for an event that's all about inclusion. Especially when you take into consideration that it was American politics that started this in the first place.

Hating police just because they are police is just more ignorance.

How's the weather in that shelter?

Funny how Yusra's tweet is being taken as the smoking gun of the group's "bad intentions" while the police department's literal smoking gun over the fatally wounded head of a minority should be assessed in shades of grey.
Right. Visceral ANGER over a tweet but reticence in approach to dead minorities. It's almost telling.

I mean, it shouldn't be surprising. I don't really fuck with Yusra's tweets at all (reads rather crazy tbh) but it's BLM in one corner and the police in the other. I dunno why you would expect BLM to win that showdown.

When it comes to the police I largely do not expect citizens to side against them in Canada.

the1npc

Police reform needs to happen. That dosent mean we should give idiots like yusra attention

Onemic

At this point why even blame BLM. The pride members voted for it. They couldve voted no if they didnt want it but a majority of them did.

knkng

It's not that it's an organization that is the problem. It's that it's the state and that organization has considerable power over the general populace. A group with the power to crush you because they wield power far above an ordinary citizen. What you have to recognize is this is not about any old person or group, it's about the police, direct agents of applying the states will. If you don't want to understand the difference here I can't really help you. This doesn't have much to do with whether I actually feel this method will be effective in achieving the end goal, but the justification presented is entirely valid as far as I am concerned.

The state hold considerably more power over regular citizens than some religious person. I mean, that is fairly obvious. It's not people holding crucifixes and wearing hijabs who bitched and bitched and resisted the abolish of carding was it?

They disagree, I find the basis of that disagreement valid. That's why I am saying this requires more thought than "that's stupid". We can disagree all we want but I find it hard to believe all these people here really can't see the point being made. And again, when the state is involved, there is a duty of care required much higher than that of ordinary citizens, I don't see how people are gonna argue otherwise.

The issue I have is that the members of a state organization are also citizens. I see a fundamental difference between punishing the organization, and punishing individuals within the organization. Enacting change within the police and how they function? Great! Telling LGBT members of that organization that they can't participate in Pride as they desire? Never.

This isn't enacting change within the problematic organization. In fact, I would wager it accomplishes the opposite. For as much as I despise the church, and don't understand why people actively participate within it, the fact remains that I actually enjoy seeing people of all religions at Pride. I feel that it creates a greater link, and at least some form of understanding between members of these groups.

Again, the police may have a greater presence and power than religion (debatable), but my gripe is with the restrictions of individuals participating within the parade. In this case, the nature of the organization is irrelevant because the actions are not being taken against the organization, but rather specific members (namely LGBT members).

Koodo

Banned
I mean, it shouldn't be surprising. I don't really fuck with Yusra's tweets at all (reads rather crazy tbh) but it's BLM in one corner and the police in the other. I dunno why you would expect BLM to win that showdown.

When it comes to the police I largely do not expect citizens to side against them in Canada.
I know exactly why BLM wouldn't win in that showdown in the minds of several people. Fortunately, the organizers of Pride Toronto didn't swing that way this time.

It would be more like banning a float made by the Catholic church. I think individual cops are still allowed to participate, just not the police as an institution.

What's to say BLM won't throw a hissy fit at cops participating as individuals, and what to say cops won't throw a hissy fit and not participate as individuals.

All in all, this just made a very positive and the most fun event in Toronto a little stained. The Canadian way would be to start discussions with the police and go hand to hand showing that the discrimination can be stopped if all Cops do the same. Send a love message even in the face of hate.

RoyalFool

Banned
My oppression is more important than yours, so we're gonna fuck your parade up.

BLM need to kick out whatever idiot came up with this plan asap, what's wrong with them.

The issue I have is that the members of a state organization are also citizens.

That doesn't really matter. As long as you are an agent of the state the way you are viewed and your ability above the average citizen are just on drastically different level. I would love to make the argument that police officers are just regulars citizens while they are beating the shit out of me but it doesn't work like that. I dunno what to tell you man.

I see a fundamental difference between punishing the organization, and punishing individuals within the organization.

It doesn't really matter, you punish the police as an organization, who do you think that punishment ends up affecting? The squirrels and raccoons? No, the people in the organization.

Enacting change within the police and how they function? Great! Telling LGBT members of that organization that they can't participate in Pride as they desire? Never.

Shrug, you are a member of the state, if the state says no, you couldn't do it anyway. It's not a right to wear a symbol of authority at a parade. I dunno why people want to pretend it is. There are laws and regulations about where you can wear these uniforms entirely because of what they represent.

This isn't enacting change within the problematic organization.

Who said that was the goal here?

In fact, I would wager it accomplishes the opposite.

Shrug, we'll see, I don't know how it's gonna shake out frankly, not gonna pretend I do.

For as much as I despise the church

I'm not really interested in your views of religion honestly.

and don't understand why people actively participate within it, the fact remains that I actually enjoy seeing people of all religions at Pride. I feel that it creates a greater link, and at least some form of understanding between members of these groups.

It's cool you feel this way but I don't particularly think it matters in what pride is about (protest) or what a section of the LGBT community wants. They obviously had one hell of a debate about this before it was decided so I'll just have to wait and see how it unfolds.

Again, the police may have a greater presence and power than religion (debatable), but my gripe is with the restrictions of individuals participating within the parade.

You can participate, you just can't wear your state issued uniform. I mean I really don't see why people are saying people are left out. To put it bluntly, the police are a fucking state body that basically has the ability to do w/e the hell they want, how are we seriously gonna put that power above the citizens they govern?

In this case, the nature of the organization is irrelevant because the actions are not being taken against the organization, but rather specific members (namely LGBT members).

No offense but you can't seriously think that someone who just had their shit kicked in by the police today just wants to dance and clown around with them tomorrow. This isn't wile e. coyote and sam the sheepdog.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom