• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project CARS | OT | Made by 80.000 slightly mad developers

Mascot

Yeah, I can't see PC2 selling anywhere near as well as PC1 did.

That said, my version is (currently) far from broken, and I still play it, alot.

It's 'broken' for me (on PS4) in that the chances are it will crash to dash at least once per two-hour private lobby session, my FFB will often disappear completely when I leave the pits during qualifying (requiring as power cycle of the wheel to get FFB back), I (and others) will hit random land mines, and one or two people will get disconnected from the session. I don't play any single player at all.

So the game is 'playable' if you are willing to put up with the constant issues, but performance is pretty unacceptable in my book.

It's also incredibly frustrating that QA seems nonexistent, with every new patch bringing a whole host of new problems that are instantly obvious the moment you start playing. Patches must be getting released with insufficient testing beforehand.

The 'improvements' to voice chat on PS4 were hilariously awful, for example: chat was significantly and indisputably worse after the patch.

danowat

Banned
That's maybe why I don't suffer any issues, I rarely play MP, and I don't use an FFB device.

Hopefully they will fix those issues.

fresquito

That's maybe why I don't suffer any issues, I rarely play MP, and I don't use an FFB device.

Hopefully they will fix those issues.
There're lots of problems that are not evident and a lot others that are very random. The worst part is that some problems come and go with every new patch. Even though the situation is better than before, there's no sense of Improving. Every time I read the patch notes, my first thought is: let's see how many of these actually work. It's a really bad situation. A shame, because when it works, it's awesome.

It's 'broken' for me (on PS4) in that the chances are it will crash to dash at least once per two-hour private lobby session, my FFB will often disappear completely when I leave the pits during qualifying (requiring as power cycle of the wheel to get FFB back), I (and others) will hit random land mines, and one or two people will get disconnected from the session. I don't play any single player at all.

So the game is 'playable' if you are willing to put up with the constant issues, but performance is pretty unacceptable in my book.

It's also incredibly frustrating that QA seems nonexistent, with every new patch bringing a whole host of new problems that are instantly obvious the moment you start playing. Patches must be getting released with insufficient testing beforehand.

The 'improvements' to voice chat on PS4 were hilariously awful, for example: chat was significantly and indisputably worse after the patch.

I have experienced every single bug that you've got, plus some more, by playing single player mostly.

Since I like to run long sessions only, the game is unplayable for me because the longer you play, the most likely it is to got some crash, or gameplay annoyances.

The state of the game in the release, the patches that fails to adress things said to be fixed on the patch notes, the new bugs introduced by every patch, the 'full retard' attitude of some WMD members on the official forums after the waves of angry players complaining, all these things makes me wonder what exactly is the problem: lack of QA? Subpar developers? Code held together by gaffer tape? Or SMS really doesn't care?

And I say that because this isn't the first time they push a broken game that is never fixed. The same thing happened to Shift 2.

Mascot

I have experienced every single bug that you've got, plus some more, by playing single player mostly.

Since I like to run long sessions only, the game is unplayable for me because the longer you play, the most likely it is to got some crash, or gameplay annoyances.

The state of the game in the release, the patches that fails to adress things said to be fixed on the patch notes, the new bugs introduced by every patch, the 'full retard' attitude of some WMD members on the official forums after the waves of angry players complaining, all these things makes me wonder what exactly is the problem: lack of QA? Subpar developers? Code held together by gaffer tape? Or SMS really doesn't care?

And I say that because this isn't the first time that they push a broken game that is never fixed. The same thing happen to Shift 2.
I've got a theory that there's some exceedingly talented people at SMS that are being let down by less talented colleagues.

DD

I've got a theory that there's some exceedingly talented people at SMS that are being let down by less talented colleagues.

After two Need for Speeds and one Test Drive, they should have got their shit together already.

Juicy Bob

I must be lucky, because I haven't experienced any more bugs or major crashes than the average PS4 game during my time with pCARS.

xrnzaaas

I only play singleplayer and after spending about 80 hours I had four crashes in total. Three of them happened on the same day and rebuilding the database seemed to have solved the problem. Recently I had another crash and it was similiar to one of the ones before, because it occured in the career menu (I was probably changing tabs too fast ;)).

Oh, and I forgot to mention that I don't participate in that many long events. I've had about a dozen endurance races (LeMans, WEC), but that's it.

fresquito

I don't think that's the case. In my opinion SMS are super talented, but lack both more working class and better directors.

On top of that, their legacy code hasn't been cleaned since forever (they're cleaning a lot for pc2). Add in cross gen development, multiplatform releases and a tight budget while going for a brand new development method and you start to understand how surprising is pc is good as it is.

Mascot

I must be lucky, because I haven't experienced any more bugs or major crashes than the average PS4 game during my time with pCARS.

Holy shit. Don't jinx yourself.

I set up a lobby last night which takes about 20-25 mins of faffing about, sending invites, replying to messages, waiting for people to join, getting everyone into private chat, setting the track/cars/rules etc, setting the FFB, adjusting pit strategy, changing tyre pressures to account for the new aggressively overheating tyre model etc etc etc (TLDR - lots of pre-race faffing, all completely necessary).

The qualifying session starts, I leave the pits, aaaaaand... no FFB. OK. This is fairly normal. A power cycle of the wheel normally fixes it. So I power down the wheel aaaaaand... the game crashes. I shut down, restart, send a message to somebody to invite me back into my own lobby, and finally get back in with most of the qualifying session over.

Then two other people had random disconnects during the race.

This is pretty typical of my experience at the moment, and it is fucking annoying with a capital 'F'.

Jilt

Holy shit. Don't jinx yourself.

I set up a lobby last night which takes about 20-25 mins of faffing about, sending invites, replying to messages, waiting for people to join, getting everyone into private chat, setting the track/cars/rules etc, setting the FFB, adjusting pit strategy, changing tyre pressures to account for the new aggressively overheating tyre model etc etc etc (TLDR - lots of pre-race faffing, all completely necessary).

The qualifying session starts, I leave the pits, aaaaaand... no FFB. OK. This is fairly normal. A power cycle of the wheel normally fixes it. So I power down the wheel aaaaaand... the game crashes. I shut down, restart, send a message to somebody to invite me back into my own lobby, and finally get back in with most of the qualifying session over.

Then two other people had random disconnects during the race.

This is pretty typical of my experience at the moment, and it is fucking annoying with a capital 'F'.

Damn!

I am so glad I went to PC instead of PS4.
PC is having no prob's what so ever.

Mascot

Damn!

I am so glad I went to PC instead of PS4.
PC is having no prob's what so ever.

Really? The official forums seem to disagree.

Managed a relatively stable session last night. FFB got lost at one point but the game didn't crash while power-cycling the wheel to get it back. Problem was we could only get four people interested from a dedicated pCARS friend's list of around forty previously-fanatic players. Seems an awful lot of people have just lost patience with the problems, and it's a crying shame because the on-track action is utterly thrilling - when it works.

We used stock-settings GT4 Ginettas at Silverstone Classic (with the lobby opened up to Joe Public because of our meagre numbers) and had to forego qualifying and pitstops because of the impound bug on this track, but it was still great fun. Shame there's no way to randomise the grid in situations like this though.

Jilt

Really? The official forums seem to disagree.

After updating to 5.0 and 6.0 I have had no problems anymore.
To be honest, the biggest problem I had had nothing to do with PCars, it was my Fanatec and PC having grounding problems.
After solving that, it all works great.

xrnzaaas

Project CARS continues its programme of continual updates and delivery of fresh new content with the release of the Renault Sport Car Pack with Renault Sport R.S.01, Formula Renault 3.5, Mégane R.S. 275 Trophy-R and Mégane Trophy V6.
Renault Sport Car Pack will be available on 22th December.

338756bb0f8222ce7ded047259ee73da.jpg

No Laguna BTCC? :(

disap.ed

About 60% of the invested sum, makes ~170% in total.
Nice to have, still way off the numbers that they dangled in front of the release.

danowat

Banned
Project CARS continues its programme of continual updates and delivery of fresh new content with the release of the Renault Sport Car Pack with Renault Sport R.S.01, Formula Renault 3.5, Mégane R.S. 275 Trophy-R and Mégane Trophy V6.
Renault Sport Car Pack will be available on 22th December.

338756bb0f8222ce7ded047259ee73da.jpg

No Laguna BTCC? :(

Only 4 cars?

Mascot

Racing nirvana: ten laps at Silverstone Classic with a full grid of RUF R-GT8s in torrential rain. Exhausting, exhilarating awesomeness.

My new favourite circuit in the game, I think.

danowat

Banned
Racing nirvana: ten laps at Silverstone Classic with a full grid of RUF R-GT8s in torrential rain. Exhausting, exhilarating awesomeness.

When it all clicks together, there is nothing like PCars.

Mascot

I totally agree, and that's why the little niggles are so bloody annoying..! Silverstone Classic is a superb racing circuit but we can't use pit stops or qualifying sessions on it in MP because of its current pit bug. So we have to go straight into the race where grid positions are always in the same order (ie how people joined the lobby). There's no grid randomiser that I can find. How daft.

Jamesways

Just wait until you try the Scottish track!

Still absolutely love it. Wish the road cars were a little less twitchy, but nothing beats the on track GT car experience. On console...

danowat

Banned
Anyone got any setup tips that would be good for keeping the WTCC BMW 320TC under control?, it's a bit flighty on the throttle, especially over kerbing.

Jilt

Anyone got any setup tips that would be good for keeping the WTCC BMW 320TC under control?, it's a bit flighty on the throttle, especially over kerbing.

Really? Do you use a controller?
The with this car is, you need two laps warming up the tires before you can really give it a go.

danowat

Banned
Really? Do you use a controller?
The with this car is, you need two laps warming up the tires before you can really give it a go.

Yeah, really......

Yeah, controller, it's one of the only cars that I can't seem to lap consistently, the rear end just seems to bust lose randomly.

Mascot

Fuuuu...uuck, I really hope SMS fix the pit bug at Silverstone Classic in the next patch. It's an amazing circuit to race on.

Mascot

Nah, it's still coming as evidence by appearing on their Instagram again: https://www.instagram.com/p/-ykGd8TBrW/?taken-by=projectcarsgame

Seems like the initial delay resulted in them having shift it to another DLC set as otherwise it would compromised the schedule of already planned "themed" DLC (and visually it seems to have changed quite a bit).

Yeah, looks nice. I hope the rumours about it now being a P2P track are nothing but bullshit.

P2P tracks suck greasy donkey balls.

Mascot

PC patch 7.0 release notes are up. Going live 'at any moment'. Edit: live now.

http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?42885-Project-CARS-PC-Patch-7-0-Release-Notes

• Reworked the dynamic race-end timer feature. In public races, the timer is 75% of the slowest moving car's lap time. In private races and passworded public races, the timer is 150% of slowest moving car's lap time.

Physics & Tyres
• Neutralized the top speed advantage of running zero camber on many tires.
• Reduced flash layer temperature cap for GT3/LMP and other slick tires to make them less prone to overheating.
• Classic Lotus cars: Disabled patch-to-hub on several tyre carcass models as it was creating a strong low-speed FFB buzz.

Controls
• Update to latest Fanatec SDK

Career
• Corrected the German name for the LMP3 UK Semi-Pro Championship

Tracks
• Rouen Short – Reworked the AI paths around the hairpin area to try and keep the historic cars from running up the hill on exit when in tight packs.

Vehicles
• Repositioned the cockpit camera view to a proper center point for a number of vehicles that were reported to be incorrectly positioned.

Audio
• Lotus 40 and 49 - Rebalanced the AI vehicle volume.

UDP streaming support
Fixed a bug where the streaming rate option in the GUI was not working correctly. The option is enabled via the ‘Game play’ menu ‘UDP mode’. This can be selected between off and 1-9. The number represents the UDP streaming data rate as follows:
UDP off
UDP 1 60/sec (16ms)
UDP 2 50/sec (20ms)
UDP 3 40/sec (25ms)
UDP 4 30/sec (32ms)
UDP 5 20/sec (50ms)
UDP 6 15/sec (66ms)
UDP 7 10/sec (100ms)
UDP 8 05/sec (200ms)
UDP 9 01/sec (1000ms)
The stream is sent to a broadcast address (255.255.255.255) on port 5606.

Oculus Rift
All UI screens are now correctly mirrored on the main monitor.

The following entries refer to fields in the OculusSettings.xml file located in your Documents/Project CARS folder. This file is auto-generated the first time you run the game with the headset active.

VSync – "false" will ignore any user setting and use the code default (currently set to off). "true" will use whatever vsync is set to in the "graphicsconfigoculusdx11.xml" file in your Documents/Project CARS folder.

ResetVR - Changed automatic camera position reset at race start to be user controlled, providing 4 options:
0 – Always use Oculus system default position
1 - Reset view once at boot-up only
2 - Reset at start of race, but only once per execution of the game
4 - Reset at start of every race (supersedes case above)
These values can be combined by adding up, for example:
3 – Reset at boot and at start of the first race

NearZ – Overrides the game’s default NearZ value for player cameras (0.1). This value determines how close to the camera the 3D world will stop drawing. Setting this override to a value less than the default will allow for less clipping of objects close to the camera. Too low values may cause some texture flickering on objects in the game world. Try values around 0.05 as a starting point. Setting it to 0 will use the default game value.

GForce – Overrides the Camera Movement value that simulates G-force effects on the player’s head. Valid range is 0-1. Setting it to -1 will use the value set in the game options.

WorldMovement – Overrides the Camera Movement value that controls how the visible movement is balanced between the world vs the car. Valid range is 0-100. Setting it to -1 will use the value set in the game options.

exposureFOV – This field allows you to control the FOV that’s used to calculate the HDR exposure. This is very useful for closed-cockpit cars where the default VR FOV of 120 typically causes the outside view to be extremely bright. Setting it to 0 will use the default FOV.

danowat

Banned
I would imagine that most development has now stopped on PCars 1, and that the frequency of the patches is primarily now to support the monthly DLC.

Mascot

I would imagine that most development has now stopped on PCars 1, and that the frequency of the patches is primarily now to support the monthly DLC.

I hope not. There is still quite a lot to sort out, on PS4 anyway. Random CtDs, land mines scattered about, disconnects from MP sessions, Godawful chat quality, Silverstone Classic pit nonsense...

danowat

Banned
I hope not. There is still quite a lot to sort out, on PS4 anyway. Random CtDs, land mines scattered about, disconnects from MP sessions, Godawful chat quality, Silverstone Classic pit nonsense...

Yeah, there is still issues, but I can't imagine them wanting to plough too many more man hours into fixing it this late in the day, I would imagine that PCars 2 in their primary focus.

TJP

That sucks if the speculation is true!

Issues like Mascot has plus howlers such as getting a new engine when pitting during a race where you've knackered the motor and tyre wear markers that are way out (watched a video where the guy drove 20+ laps with the tyres at 0% life and set fastest lap times) means pCARS needs a few more fixes before SMS move on. PRC had a list of outstanding issues recently too.

Great sim when it all works though 8)

fresquito

In my opinion PC still needs a lot of patching. I'm alarmed to not see any fix for wheels getting disconnected from session session. Or people in MP dropping from session to session or replays being totally wonky in MP. Basically MP is as basic as it gets.

And for god's sake, give me favorites tab for MP search!

danowat

Banned
I dunno,it's just the cynic in me says that, 6 months after release, the most pertainant bugs would have been fixed, and those that haven't aren't likely to be, the list for each patch gets smaller and smaller ever month.

Hopefully I am wrong.

Mascot

I dunno,it's just the cynic in me says that, 6 months after release, the most pertainant bugs would have been fixed, and those that haven't aren't likely to be, the list for each patch gets smaller and smaller ever month.

Hopefully I am wrong.

Somebody said recently in this thread that the PC version has very few issues now, so I'm hoping that's reflected in the relatively sparse patch notes. I'd hazard a guess that the PS4/Bone release notes have richer content.

Well, I'm happy because I found a fix to every Project CARS issue: I just sold it. As for now, my friends and me are well educated in SMS' ways. We won't fall for Shift 4.

But doesn't surprise me at all seeing that they probably won't fix things. In my opinion, the code is a mess and completely hopeless. They simply can't sort stuff without making matters worse.

Top Bottom