• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project CARS | OT | Made by 80.000 slightly mad developers

SliChillax

After all this time with the game I still haven't found a way to enjoy it with a 360 controller on PC. Game controls horribly, cars understeer like crazy then snap oversteer, even with all the driving aids turned on. Yes I do lot's of experience with racing sims, this is not a case of me being a noob. I've also driven on a racing track in real life but for gods sake this game controls horribly.

Juicy Bob

After all this time with the game I still haven't found a way to enjoy it with a 360 controller on PC. Game controls horribly, cars understeer like crazy then snap oversteer, even with all the driving aids turned on. Yes I do lot's of experience with racing sims, this is not a case of me being a noob. I've also driven on a racing track in real life but for gods sake this game controls horribly.
Have you tried removing the deadzone for steering on the analogue sticks? Was the single best thing I did for my DS4 on the PS4 because of how much more precise I can be.

xrnzaaas

So it looks like that the free car in January will be this Mazda. Don't know how a drift car fits in a game like Project CARS tbh.

111nbjvs.jpg

Mascot

So it looks like that the free car in January will be this Mazda. Don't know how a drift car fits in a game like Project CARS tbh.

111nbjvs.jpg

I fucking hate drifting, even more so after playing my way through Arkham Knight over the past few weeks. That Mazda can hopefully be set up to drive like a proper car.

danowat

Banned
I just hope the tyre physics are rolled back to how they were pre last patch, haven't played it since the patch.

"Our On Demand program hits the ground running in 2016 with a big expansion that includes the KTM X-Bow R, professional drifter Mad Mike Whiddett’s Mazda MX-5 RADBUL Formula Drift car and two BMWs – the 1-Series M-Coupe and 2002 model," he reveals. "Both BMWs been modified and lowered by renowned automotive lifestyle enthusiasts Stanceworks."
The Stanceworks Track Expansion, which arrives on January 26 on PS4, Xbox One and PC, is not just a handful of new cars for the virtual garage, however.
"It also includes a new road course located in the highlands of Scotland, to join the existing ones in the US and the French Riviera," says Tudor. "And as if that wasn't enough, the free car this month is the Ford Falcon FG, which saw huge popularity in Australia’s V8 Supercar series."

http://www.redbull.com/en/games/stories/1331769972853/project-cars-dlc-behind-the-scenes

Fox Mulder

I fucking hate drifting, even more so after playing my way through Arkham Knight over the past few weeks. That Mazda can hopefully be set up to drive like a proper car.

mme too, i hate it in forza, driveclub, everything. It's just not my thing. But nice for people that like it to get more specific cars.

danowat

Banned
So this game is gonna be $12 on the PS store today.....what say you GAF? Worth the plunge?

BTW I would be using a controller.

Pre-patch 7?, undoubtedly an emphatic yes.

Post-patch 7?, arguably yes.

If patch 8 fixes the tyre physics issues?, an emphatic yes.

danowat

Banned
Tyres are next to impossible to warm, or keep warm, on many cars, combine that with the knife-edge pad physics and the complete lack of grip when tyres aren't warm makes it a bit of a chore at the moment.

fresquito

Tyres are next to impossible to warm, or keep warm, on many cars, combine that with the knife-edge pad physics and the complete lack of grip when tyres aren't warm makes it a bit of a chore at the moment.
Only happens with control pads, it seems. With a wheel, I notice no difference.

Juicy Bob

That's actually a deliberate design choice to avoid tyre temperatures getting too high when you use the new DLC car for some EXTREEEEEME DRRRIIIIIIIFFFFFFTTTUUUUUUUUU

danowat

Banned
Only happens with control pads, it seems. With a wheel, I notice no difference.

That's actually a deliberate design choice to avoid tyre temperatures getting too high when you use the new DLC car for some EXTREEEEEME DRRRIIIIIIIFFFFFFTTTUUUUUUUUU

I don't think you are far wrong, I wonder if it was a conscious decision to combat the issue of pad drivers overheating front tyres, but they went way, way too far in the other direction.

Metfanant

Ha ha..! I said exactly the same thing a while ago on the official forums. Game is still a shit-ton of fun though.

It's almost everything I want in a racing game. I enjoy the "grind" of GT and Forza, and unlocking cars, earning money etc...

But the "career" modes in those games just never felt like a career mode to me..I enjoy the depth of those types of modes in FIFA or other sports games and I've probably run one online race in GT5/6 and Forza 3/4 combined lol...so pCARS was really promising...

The groundwork for the exact game i want is there..its just a little bare bones and rough around the edges..I'm optimistic that pCARS 2 will deliver

Only thing I'd really like to see the car list expanded a lot...hopefully with more publisher support they will be able to work in more

Metfanant

I can't remember if I've asked before, but anyone with their ear to the ground with pCARS rumors or updates...

What are the chances my dream of the Viper GT3-R finding its way into pCARS before the end of the DLC cycl comes true?

Mascot

I can't remember if I've asked before, but anyone with their ear to the ground with pCARS rumors or updates...

What are the chances my dream of the Viper GT3-R finding its way into pCARS before the end of the DLC cycl comes true?

Slim, I think. There probably would already have been speculation about it as a lot of the cars were known during development by WMD insiders. I've heard no mention of the Viper.

Edit: Big-ass McTrack gif

Does anyone know if oval track DLC is planned at all for pC? I had read some stuff about it before I bought the game and was really looking forward to using the stock cars with some oval track DLC.

If not, maybe in pC2?

Mascot

Does anyone know if oval track DLC is planned at all for pC? I had read some stuff about it before I bought the game and was really looking forward to using the stock cars with some oval track DLC.

If not, maybe in pC2?
There's a problem with the AI on ovals, apparently. There was a whisper about releasing them for TT and MP only, but nothing concrete yet.

danowat

Banned
Looks like they've only fixed the tyres that were under inflated?, doesn't just affect under inflated tyres, affects all pressures.

Jamesways

Hmmm, reading the forum, it seems the patch does fix the tire heating issue.

dano, you had time to play since patch yet? I've been holding off the career mode, did a Lotus series that has been just brutal with a pad since 7.0.

Edit- talk of the GT3 class being tweaked for the worse. Mascot, have you tested at all?

I'll put in some time tonight, I haven't loaded hardly any setups so I'll see what the defaults feel like.

Mascot

Edit- talk of the GT3 class being tweaked for the worse. Mascot, have you tested at all?

Not yet - I downloaded the patch at lunchtime but won't have a chance to try it until later tonight. I'll not be happy if my GT3 R-GT8 is totally fubar. It was nobbled by the last patch but was OK in SP (and weirdly awful in MP - go figure).

Bulk_Rate

Picked this up a few days during the sale and was disappointed with the DS4 handling even after following other's controller setup and steering lock tips.

Post-patch, I am loving the game. The ice-skating is gone!

My cred: Tons of GTR2, PnG3 and RFactor (various mods) on both wheel and 360 controller.

Not worried about competing online with my DS4 but glad to have a consistently driveable and predictable 1P sim now.

danowat

Banned
Managed to get some time with the new patch, the below is with the same car (BMW 320TC, which is notoriously snappy on the rear end), same track (Sakitto Sprint) and the same setup, list

Patch 6.0. Tyres up to peak temp after 1 lap

FL Peak 120
FR Peak 115
RL Peak 108
RR Peak 106

Patch 7.0. Tyres up to peak after 3 laps (if you can keep it on the track for 3 laps), start to cool after that

FL Peak 60
FR Peak 56
RL Peak 52
RR Peak 54

Patch 8.0. Tyres up to peak after 1.5 laps

FL Peak 115
FR Peak 107
RL Peak 98
RR Peak 96

In short, Patch 6.0 had the hottest tyres, Patch 7.0 was next to impossible to get any heat into the tyres, Patch 8.0 is much better than Patch 7.0, and cooler than Patch 6.0, which is a definate improvement, but it can still be hard to maintain tyre heat, especially if the track has long straights, so setup changes are required from Patch 6.0

Jamesways

Managed to get some time with the new patch, the below is with the same car (BMW 320TC, which is notoriously snappy on the rear end), same track (Sakitto Sprint) and the same setup, list

Patch 6.0. Tyres up to peak temp after 1 lap

FL Peak 120
FR Peak 115
RL Peak 108
RR Peak 106

Patch 7.0. Tyres up to peak after 3 laps (if you can keep it on the track for 3 laps), start to cool after that

FL Peak 60
FR Peak 56
RL Peak 52
RR Peak 54

Patch 8.0. Tyres up to peak after 1.5 laps

FL Peak 115
FR Peak 107
RL Peak 98
RR Peak 96

In short, Patch 6.0 had the hottest tyres, Patch 7.0 was next to impossible to get any heat into the tyres, Patch 8.0 is much better than Patch 7.0, and cooler than Patch 6.0, which is a definate improvement, but it can still be hard to maintain tyre heat, especially if the track has long straights, so setup changes are required from Patch 6.0

I'm glad you ran the tests/numbers. Interesting results. I wonder if they'll continue to tweak and change the tire physics/heat model or leave it alone at this point.

I played for a few hours last night, trying out some old Lotuses, more career mode with the BWM Z4 GT3 (I read that car had issues post patch), and surprisingly, a slew of road cars after that.

Needless to say, I was grinning ear to ear after playing. The patch helped tremendously IMO. I didn't have any issues with grip or snap oversteer with the Z4 either. The old Lotuses were fun again, and I was actually able to compete and not fight with quite a few of the road cars now. I've left most of them alone for a while, trying a few after 7.0 which wasn't fun at all. But now I feel like more of the game has actually opened up for me. They're quite enjoyable to drive now with a pad.

Granted, I'm probably a terrible judge since I don't play a ton of hours a week (2 kids 2 and under), but to me at least, this patch helped the tire physics a good deal.

This game... issues galore, but when it's shines, it's really good.

DLC looks great!

DD

Whoa, the new track looks awesome!

Guys, if I buy the DLC tracks, will they appear for me in the career mode with new events? Or are they just for custom and online events? I'm asking this because I play solo, 100% focused on the career mode of any game, and it won't make any sense to me to buy these tracks if they won't appear on the career mode.

danowat

Banned
Whoa, the new track looks awesome!

Guys, if I buy the DLC tracks, will they appear for me in the career mode with new events? Or are they just for custom and online events? I'm asking this because I play solo, 100% focused on the career mode of any game, and it won't make any sense to me to buy these tracks if they won't appear on the career mode.

Yes and no.

They won't appear in the "main" career events (or any events that were there before the addition of the DLC), however, they do (generally) add invitational events that use the new track/s.

Top Bottom