• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project CARS | OT | Made by 80.000 slightly mad developers

xrnzaaas

After playing for a few hours using danowat's settings I had to change them, because the car was losing grip too easily when taking fast corners. The problem was coming from me having problems to do only small corrections with the left trigger. Now I'm playing using these settings recommended for pad players on steam forums and the increased speed sensitivity and controller filtering helped me out A LOT. :)

Steering dead zone: 0
Steering Sensitivity: 30

Throttle dead zone: 0
Throttle Sensitivity: 50

Brake dead zone: 0
Brake Sensitivity: 30

Clutch dead zone: 0
Clutch Sensitivity: 45

Speed Sensitivity: 75
Controller Filtering: 50

danowat

Banned
So Empty Box finally put some thoughts up. Not about the game yet, but about the community around it. He's not too happy about how things were handled.

Having people on here primarily post PCars videos on their Youtube channel then come in to this thread promoting the game? I can see his point there. :/

And in other news, person on internet is angry.....

In all seriousness, I get what he's saying, however, he comes across as someone with a real bee in his bonnet, very bitter.

Lets get one thing straight, hyperbole, positive or negative, isn't just affected by the fact that someone has a vested interest financially in something, you see enough threads on here from tub thumping activists or game a or game b that don't have a vested interest.

Helznicht

2 parts here, the point of this game is bringing all the settings from pc sims to console.

From what I can see but, there are global settings in the main menu, from there you can later the settings further for each car if you need.

I'm on the TX wheel and I just turned down the global level and that was it, works fine from there.

There are FFB settings that are only available in the car setup that do not have global equivalents. Specifically the Seat Of Pants (SOP) settings. These are the ones that let you feel the grip of the tires (that many have complained do not exist). Thats because they are defaulted to ZERO on every car, and only available in each car setup, that must be adjusted for each car individually (no global option for these). And then manually save to all tracks for that specific car under separate menus.

Dobsie

T500 had an annoying bug on ps4, the wheel will centre itself 10 degrees to the left or right at the start of a race. This happened in 2 out of the 3 online races I did yesterday. Only fix is to unplug and reinsert the USB cable so it does the auto calibration.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
After playing for a few hours using danowat's settings I had to change them, because the car was losing grip too easily when taking fast corners. The problem was coming from me having problems to do only small corrections with the left trigger. Now I'm playing using these settings recommended for pad players on steam forums and the increased speed sensitivity and controller filtering helped me out A LOT. :)

No deadzones at all? The car must be twitchy at high speeds.

Maybe I just don't understand the other settings like controller filtering.

Spookie

edit: I'm going to remove myself from the conversation about the funding of the game. I honestly don't trust some people in here enough to have a honest conversation about it. Maybe in 3 months we can re-visit this topic and do a post mortem but I believe some people here to be disingenuous.

So Jack Spade put up some FFB Tweaker Files I've yet to try them but hopefully this will fix the woeful default settings for my Fanatec.

Edit II: The above are for WHEELS. They likely won't be suitable for pads.

xrnzaaas

I had problems with that before using these settings. Supposedly Speed Sensitivity and Controller Filtering are the key here and the rest doesn't change that much. Anyway it would be nice if there were some detailed explanations within the game.

Speed Sensitivity - It changes how the wheel reacts depending on current speed. The current value seems to be doing ok - I can get past slow and fast corners without major problems.
Controller Filtering - It smoothens the reactions you make with the trigger. Again, increasing it made it easier to stay in control (at least in my case ;)).

So far I'm playing the Clio Cup and the new settings are great. I'll have to wait and see if they need another tweaks in higher classes.

danowat

Banned

I am starting to wonder if the deadzone settings are bugged, I wonder if there are also deadzones at the extent of the travel which reduces to amount of control you have.

Controller filtering reduces input spikes from the device, but high settings can make the control quite unresponsive, speed sensitivity is another finicky setting, not enough will make fast corners tricky, too much will make slower corners tough as steering lock will be reduced.

I don't think, at least on PS4, the settings are granular enough, I think the steering linearity for the controller needs work.

GHG

So Empty Box finally put some thoughts up. Not about the game yet, but about the community around it. He's not too happy about how things were handled.

Having people on here primarily post PCars videos on their Youtube channel then come in to this thread promoting the game? I can see his point there. :/

Yeh we are all viral marketers.

All those bullshots, all those videos recorded on supercomputers to trick people into thinking the game looks better than it is.

Give me a break...

Maybe he's posting a controversial video to get hits? I should make a video about his video to make money and gain internet followers too.

What a festival of stupid we live in.

Its becoming more and more apparent that this hobby is no longer just about having fun.

DarkOneX

It's really too bad they decided not to lock the framerate to 30 or at least give us an option to do so, I was really looking forward to playing this on PS4 but reading people reporting that framerate drops mess them up and also the screen tearing, just can't do it at least not at $60. I'll pick it up much later when it reaches $20 or so on sale.

welly_59

Neo Member
Anyone else having problems with online play? I join a session then I will get randomly kicked out. After that point I will be unable to join a session unless I power off and back on. This is on pc

danowat

Banned
It's really too bad they decided not to lock the framerate to 30 or at least give us an option to do so, I was really looking forward to playing this on PS4 but reading people reporting that framerate drops mess them up and also the screen tearing, just can't do it at least not at $60. I'll pick it up much later when it reaches $20 or so on sale.

The XB1 version is a mess, but on the PS4 version, you need to really ramp up amount of AI and weather to get the framerate to tank.

The elephant in the room with the PS4 version is the temporal AA ghosting, I never notice it (in motion, static shots are a different story), put some people really seem to suffer.

Mascot

I use "subtle" for both the sun glare options. It makes it bright without completely blocking the screen I think.

Yeah, me too. It's much better.

I turned off 'post processing effects' (PS4) as well but can't tell what the hell it's done. Game looks identical to me. Any ideas? I wish SMS would explain this stuff better.

Also: Fog. Love it. Such an atmospheric effect to have thick fog descend during a race. I always have one of my four weather slots as fog. Sometimes two..! Anyone else?

danowat

Banned
I turned off 'post processing effects' (PS4) as well but can't tell what the hell it's done. Game looks identical to me. Any ideas? I wish SMS would explain this stuff better.

Most of them are really subtle, I might try and do some comparison screenshots.

Yes, I think SMS thinks we are all psychic!!

Mascot

Most of them are really subtle, I might try and do some comparison screenshots.

Yes, I think SMS thinks we are all psychic!!

I was thinking exactly the same. I'm constantly baffled by the user interface. It's embarrassingly sloppy, like the whole thing was cobbled together at the last minute.

So... are the community events leaderboards per platform or unified? I ask that because i play on PC and right now i'm first on the Mustang hotlap at The horsethief mile... are there other times for Xbone and PS4 or it's all together?

It's not gonna last long (i'll wait to drop to second to try to improve), but i wanna know if my five minutes of fame are for PC or for the game as a whole. :)

danowat

Banned
The UI never got the attention it deserved during development. Combined with some really weird design choices.

The way the car selection works is a bit bonkers.

Ok, the selection list isn't too bad, however, you can't choose a livery, so you have to go to a second tier menu, your garage, which only has vehicles grouped by class first and foremost, you should really be able to either select view by manufacturer or be able to view all.

It's one of the examples of a UI seemingly designed by someone who's never played a game.

Another example is the fact that a whole shed load of options are able to be adjusted while in an event.

Want to test out some controller settings? You have to load up practice, drive a bit, extra out of practice, adjust the settings, load up practice yadda yadda, baffling, there are plenty of peer games out there that do a much better job of it, why not look to them for inspiration?

_machine

I'd like to ask about track preferences. I recognise that when I first got into the game and read about the four UK laser scanned tracks, I could not care less. I didn't know them even in the slightest. I just cared about the usual suspects, F1 tracks most of them. How ignorant I was...
My favorite hasn't changed since the start of the development, even though I've driven it more than any other track in the game:

Imola
It's not just the pedigree of the track, but somehow the flow of the track is just so good and apart from Tamburello the track isn't too hard. I especially love most of Sector 2 and Acque Minerale is probably my favorite corner on the track.

California Highway
I absolutely love just driving around and California Highway is just perfect for it. The huge variety of corners, long highway sections and varied width of the track make it stand out from any other games and especially for a sim it's hugely refreshing.

Oulton Park
Such a terrifying track to drive and racing on it is super hard, but at the same time it's just so rewarding to drive as getting even the smallest things right feel great and overtaking on the track is absolutely crazy feeling. As you said, it's also very good for solo driving and it's starting to become my go to track for learning new cars.

Imo, this should be a priority.....lol..
Haha, I'm not sure everyone would agree, but yeah it'd be a super cool thing as I love the external sounds too.

Seriously, though do keep on giving ideas or requests, SMS already has their work cut out with the patch, WMD forums and the official forums (posting there is a good way to get your voice heard too) so they might not catch everything so I and the others are more than happy to relay the wishes and bug reports to the dev team :)

Dilly

Banned
I just hope they fix the overexposed cockpits from AI headlights at night. Seems like there already was an untested fix that did, so I hope it won't be too long.

PriitV

myVaiHF.jpg
I feel cheated!

Lettuce

Just how the fuck the XB1 pad issue weren't discovered in all the testing this games had ill never know, i picked up on if after the 2nd kart race, WTF SMS!!!!

saladine1

Does anyone know how many people are at SMS?
They certainly have their work cut out for them in regards to patches and such.

Also, will there be any other stuff coming besides cars and tracks?

I just encountered a game breaking bug. While on the first lap of Spa in my BMW GT3 the game suddenly goes into slow motion and after about 1-2 seconds it speeds up like crazy. If feels like it saved up all the speed and the input from the controller and then tries to catch up. Makes the game unplayable. Hope an upcoming patch fixes it.

_machine

Given the structure of SMS (people all around the world and plenty of contract work) I don't know if there's an accurate number and they are still a multiproject studio (part of SMS is doing World of Speed). That said, I do remember them mentioning something, but can't remember the number.

As for potential content; there have been some features that have been relegated to post-launch and for example on PC there will be a proper dedicated server software (already is with 32 car support, but I don't think it's officially launched) and it will eventually support closer to 64 players (not totally confirmed though). But yeah, I'm sure we will all hear about the upcoming features sooner or later :)

Managed to pop into the office today (where my rig is) and get the game downloaded for a proper run tomorrow evening. However I did manage to squeeze in a few minutes (118m to be precise) into pCars before heading back home for boring family life.

+Looks amazing
+AI, while not great, are light years ahead of AC. I was overtaken more times in those 118 minutes than in my 80 hours in AC (that's 4 times).
+Best sense of under-rotation/locking-up FFB I've experienced
+Oulton Park is very dangerous

-Some control/visual options keep reverting to their default setting at random.
-My previously driven car is always forgotten upon start and I have to reselect.
-Overly complex menu system
-Why do I need to restart the game when I change performance settings? Most games handle this just fine outside of AA.
-Why can't you practice/qualify for the very first race of career? Surely new players need to familiarise themselves with the track/weird kart handling first.
-Why does my view go dark if I decrease FOV?
-Sounds, while very from seemingly good sources, are mixed poorly.
-I want to move my seat much further forward than I can.
-Lots of bugs, but that's forgivable for a v1.0

Won't comment on the handling until I spend more time behind the wheel, but first impressions are better than expected.

TEH-CJ

Banned
The only problem im having is correcting cars when they lose grip ang go into a slide. Counter steering is not responsive.

Anyone using a racing seat or a wheelstand for this? I've got a few wheels for my various consoles so I would need one to fit at least the G25, Thrustmaster 458 Spider and any of the PS4 compatible Thrustmaster wheels coz I'll probably get one of them in future.

Any recommendations?

Jack Spades Tweaker Files posted earlier in this thread have done a good job of improving FFB in terms of feeling grip of the front tyres for me. It's the closest thing we'll get to having a quick and easy FFB setup in this game as well I think. Still feels weird when countersteering in slides but it's better than the default settings.

ValfarHL

Anyone using a racing seat or a wheelstand for this? I've got a few wheels for my various consoles so I would need one to fit at least the G25, Thrustmaster 458 Spider and any of the PS4 compatible Thrustmaster wheels coz I'll probably get one of them in future.

Any recommendations?

I am using a Playseat Challenge with a T500RS. The wheel is seriously heavy, and not recommended for my seat, but it works great!
There's no horizontal movement of the wheel at all. There's a little bit of vertical movement, but I never notice it while racing.

It's really comfortable, easy to hide away and pretty cheap.

Some DIY-ing is needed if you want to mount a gear lever tho. :/

ValfarHL

Jack Spades Tweaker Files posted earlier in this thread have done a good job of improving FFB in terms of feeling grip of the front tyres for me. It's the closest thing we'll get to having a quick and easy FFB setup in this game as well I think. Still feels weird when countersteering in slides but it's better than the default settings.

Gonna try these later today. Kinda bummed you can't change any ffb settings in game after applying the files.

Will play around with SOP and some other important settings myself before trying them.

Any recommendations?

Fanatec CSL seat
http://www.fanatec.com/us-en/play-and-gaming-seats/csl-seat-us.html

Best bang for your buck without going into serious territory. I have had it for 3 years I think, used it with a Fanatec wheel, and currently the Thrustmaster TX. Only downside is that its a pain in the ass to assemble.

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
So I've got the steering deadzone set to 0 but I noticed at Monza I'm still veering to the right with my XB1 controller. Is there anything else I can try?

danowat

Banned
So I've got the steering deadzone set to 0 but I noticed at Monza I'm still veering to the right with my XB1 controller. Is there anything else I can try?
Wait for the patch is the only answer I think, I believe the deadzones are broken on the XB1, not sure about PS4 though, but it could explain a few things.

Edit: try increasing the deadzone, a setting of zero could be the problem.

nib95

Banned
Must say, handling is terrible with a pad till you either drop steering sensitivity or presumably use one of the settings posted in the thread. Having played this on PC (with a wheel), and come off a long stint of Driveclub, at first I thought the problem was my lack of skill. Constantly spinning out at the meagre touch of the analogue sticks in certain situations. Turned down the steering sensitivity (to 20) and it's an entirely different game. Still not finding it quite as responsive or offering as much feedback as say GT or Forza, so going to try out the posted settings and see if that helps. They really ought to have given more attention to default settings for pad users, as it feels as though this game was designed for wheel users.

Edit: I should add I meant with traction and stability control off. Maybe they designed default pad settings for all assists in mind or something.

ValfarHL

Must say, handling is terrible with a pad till you either drop steering sensitivity or presumably use one of the settings posted in the thread. Having played this on PC (with a wheel), and come off a long stint of Driveclub, at first I thought the problem was my lack of skill. Constantly spinning out at the meagre touch of the analogue sticks in certain situations. Turned down the steering sensitivity (to 20) and it's an entirely different game. Still not finding it quite as responsive or offering as much feedback as say GT or Forza, so going to try out the posted settings and see if that helps. They really ought to have given more attention to default settings for pad users, as it feels as though this game was designed for wheel users.

It's not exactly a walk in the park for us wheel users either. :p a lot of the default setting are really bad.

Hedrush

During the gamersyde interview the dev said there are 100+ he couldn't remember the exact amount but it was just over 100.

Mascot

Edit: I should add I meant with traction and stability control off. Maybe they designed default pad settings for all assists in mind or something.

I'd hazard a guess that the vast majority of pad users won't even be aware that they can change the pad settings, and those that are aware won't have the first clue about how to go about it properly. There will be a lot of gamers out there who don't frequent gaming forums and just take things as is. After all, as experts, the developer's must have set everything up optimally by default, yes?

I've no doubt SMS have done irreparable damage with the out-of-the-box controller settings, and there are undoubtedly many purchasers who have already classed it as unplayable and given up on it.

Why didn't SMS just replicate the feel of Forza or GT with the default settings?

nib95

Banned
I'd hazard a guess that the vast majority of pad users won't even be aware that they can change the pad settings, and those that are aware won't have the first clue about how to go about it properly. There will be a lot of gamers out there who don't frequent gaming forums and just take things as is. After all, as experts, the developer's must have set everything up optimally by default, yes?

I've no doubt SMS have done irreparable damage with the out-of-the-box controller settings, and there are undoubtedly many purchasers who have already classed it as unplayable and given up on it.

Why didn't SMS just replicate the feel of Forza or GT with the default settings?

Agreed. But then I wonder, why haven't more of the reviews picked up on this?

danowat

Banned

The belligerent belief that PCars is more hardcore and that both Forza and GT are "simcade" probably.

Game wasn't ready for mainstream (read console) consumption, controller settings by default are a mess, you just have to watch a few videos on YouTube to show how SMS have alienated droves of console gamers, you shouldn't really have to spend hours to get the game drivable, especially when you can't adjust those settings in game, and have to exit out to the main menu every time.

Say what you like about Forza, but the way the experience can be customized for everyone from the most ham fisted pad player to a hardcore wheel user is pretty commendable.

SMS have got some serious leg work to do if they want to try and win those gamers back.

Always a worry when reviewers skirt over issues that cause so much of a problem to such a large portion of gamers.

carl32

Banned
I keep having auto brakes come on, i turn them off and 2 or 3 races they are back on, single player or online, really anoying. Masterchief Collection was like it was released by Nintendo in comparison to this bugfest, i am enjoying what bits are ok tho but i dont know how much longer i can put up with it (XB1 version)

Stacey

Banned
On consoles this game has some of the worst wet road reflections I have ever seen, they're absolutely hideous.

And to top things off the shadow filtering, texture filtering and lod swaps are literally 2ft in front of your bumber.

digital foundry will have a field day in their face-off.

Top Bottom