• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project CARS | OT | Made by 80.000 slightly mad developers

Spookie

Well, ended my Solo race session and still can't re-enable "Show Helmet". What the hell.

Well speaking of bugs.

First race in the Clios:

1. The AI is 2 seconds behind in a 5 lap race.
2. Restarting keeps your tyres at full temp.
3. Restarting also fucked up the gear on the HUD and set it to 5th when it was in neutral.
4. Going in to the pits to switch the tyres lead to me having 4 up to temp tyres
4a. One of the tyres ended up getting colder through out the race since I was racing a Clio in the UK.
5. Clipping in the pits with the car teleporting in to position.
6. Odd track boundaries, as long as two tyres are on the road I shouldn't be getting penalised.

This game isn't finished.
4mC962j.gif

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
I recall Need for Speed Shift requiring similar controller tweaks to feel right as well.

It needed more than that. I was using the G27 and then discovered some very good tuning set ups then the game really shined. I expect this to be the same. In its current state, controller issues aside the cars really feel like they need a bit of tweaking or something. Driving the BMW M1 doesn't feel weighty at all and the Caterham feels like I'm controlling a leaf in comparison.

Dilly

Banned
Well speaking of bugs.

First race in the Clios:

1. The AI is 2 seconds behind in a 5 lap race.
2. Restarting keeps your tyres at full temp.
3. Restarting also fucked up the gear on the HUD and set it to 5th when it was in neutral.
4. Going in to the pits to switch the tyres lead to me having 4 up to temp tyres
4a. One of the tyres ended up getting colder through out the race since I was racing a Clio in the UK.
6. Odd track boundaries, as long as one track is on the road I shouldn't be getting penalised.

This game isn't finished.
4mC962j.gif

What exactly is the problem with 2,4 and 4a?

So my car feels like it's on ice and I spin out too much.
Ruf and the A8 what can't I do? Feel like the assists don't work

I have found you have to practice the courses a lot. This is really sim focused. Follow the driving line, don't always floor it just because it's green, learn to feather the gas AND brake. If you slam the brakes you will definitely spin out if you try to correct your movement. I would recommend running practice races with a ton of laps on any course you're interested in and learn the course and how your car handles on it. Don't be afraid to slow way the fuck down to take a turn and don't floor it while coming out of it, speed up gradually with your momentum. I found the learning curve is really rewarding.

Now that's what I just found starting out like a few hours ago, so if higher range cars are different animals please ignore. lol

Mohonky

I have tried a few different setups on the control pad now in terms of sensitivity etc and having a real handful with all the cars.

I'm trying to enjoy the game but the fucking spins are annoying. You just cannot correct oversteer without the car getting a massive tank slapper on and spinning, and if you don't over correct you just end up watching the car do a very slow unrecoverable 180.

Don't even get me started on those fucking piece of shit karts. Can't even get them to go in a straight line on some tracks with a controller.

So my car feels like it's on ice and I spin out too much.
Ruf and the A8 what can't I do? Feel like the assists don't work

For me it's the other way around. The A8 feels unfairly easy to control (but that might be realistic) and the RUF RGT-8 has too much grip, feels like on well heated F1 slicks.

So.. Formula Rookie at Sonoma. 100% AI difficulty.
Two minutes to go in free practice (perfect weather conditions) and I lead the timings on a 1m19.2. The field is separated by two to three seconds.
In the menu I select "Skip to the end of the session". I am then 10th, with the leading time 3 seconds faster than me. OK.....
I qualify on pole with a 1m19.1... Right... I then win the first race with my fastest lap a 18.9..
Are you penalised for selecting to "Skip.." to the end of the session or is this a bug?

Well, in reality track conditions usually get better during a practice or qualifying (higher surface temperatures, less dirt), but not THAT much and not in a racing class with so little horse power and small tires.

Spookie

What exactly is the problem with 2,4 and 4a?

Honestly? :/

2. You're restarting the race, your tyres should also restart- they should be cold like everyone else. Or otherwise you've got 4 tyres at maximum efficiency.
4. Tyres aren't going to be full temp unless you're simulating tyre blankets (it isn't? Only AC does this as far as I'm aware?) even then they wouldn't be at maximum efficiency unless you do an outlap first.
4a. If one of the tyres has gone cold 1/4 in to a lap it's showing they aren't starting at the correct temp.

xrnzaaas

The entire pit-stop drill seems unfinished. I especially don't like ghost cars when you have to pass someone in the pits or when you're leaving the pits yourself (I'd prefer witnessing a big crash upon contact even if it meant the end of my race).

Spookie

The entire pit-stop drill seems unfinished. I especially don't like ghost cars when you have to pass someone in the pits or when you're leaving the pits yourself (I'd prefer witnessing a big crash upon contact even if it meant the end of my race).

I'd like to have manual pitstops but a few studios have expressed how much of a cluster fuck they are to implement. I understand why they are automatic but they are so sloppy.

_machine

2. You're restarting the race, your tyres should also restart- they should be cold like everyone else. Or otherwise you've got 4 tyres at maximum efficiency.
4. Tyres aren't going to be full temp unless you're simulating tyre blankets (it isn't? Only AC does this as far as I'm aware?) even then they wouldn't be at maximum efficiency unless you do an outlap first.
4a. If one of the tyres has gone cold 1/4 in to a lap it's showing they aren't starting at the correct temp.
I thought they were simulating tyre blankets on pit changes (tires aren't cold nor fully warm when you change, correct me if I'm wrong there) and since the game doesn't have outlaps yet (might be happening in the future, though) you start with warm tires regardless since most real races have outlaps to warm the tires. I haven't had time to play today so feel free to correct me, but that's how I thought it was supposed to be. Don't know about the 4a though, I have struggled to put heat on to my right rear tire on the Clio on Donington, but I don't if it's supposed to be that way.

I'd like to have manual pitstops but a few studios have expressed how much of a cluster fuck they are to implement. I understand why they are automatic but they are so sloppy.
Yeah, the pitstops definitely feel a bit lackluster at the moment (I too wish for manual pitting) and the sometimes the wheel goes crazy during pitting which is a bit immersion breaking. Still, I can't wait for the pit crew animations; the animations themselves looked really nice in development.

Stacey

Banned
how's the game with a controller?
should I bother or should I get driveclub instead?

There are some good settings posted in this very thread because the default settings are trash.
Driveclub is also amazing, but a very different game to PCars

danowat

Banned
Not for me so much :D, I'll definitely never try to beat that time again ;D

No, really, it's ok, I do believe you. And if I wouldn't, I still wouldn't take a screenshot as evidence (maybe if it's on a Steam/MS/Sony/SMS server somewehere).

Ok, not 1:00.5, I could only muster 1:00.6 today!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RHO80LrNLh0

Just want to reiterate a few things for pad players.

1) do not try to counter steer, just release the stick and throttle and let the car settle.

2) don't take cold tyres for granted

3) each car has a steering ratio adjustment in the setup, use it.

SkylineRKR

I recall Need for Speed Shift requiring similar controller tweaks to feel right as well.

Yes but it never ended up playing as good as CARS. A shame because I absolutely loved Shift 2, except drifting.

how's the game with a controller?
should I bother or should I get driveclub instead?

Get both. Driveclub should be cheap by now and I still love it. Its more arcadey with better graphics, a completely different game thats especially great to fire up now and then for some challenges. I play both.

xrnzaaas

Yeah I do hope that they'll work on the pitstop feature in the patches instead of leaving it for pCARS 2. There's definitely room for improvement - I still remember how lame the pistops were in F1 2010 and Codemasters improved them a lot over the years.

ValfarHL

Why the fuuuuuck can't I choose SOFT tires before starting a race? Every tire I can start with in my RUF race (career mode) is utter shit. If I take a pit stop and change to soft, everything is A-OK.

Am I missing something, or have SMS fucked up bad here?

Spookie

I thought they were simulating tyre blankets on pit changes (tires aren't cold nor fully warm when you change, correct me if I'm wrong there) and since the game doesn't have outlaps yet (might be happening in the future, though) you start with warm tires regardless since most real races have outlaps to warm the tires. I haven't had time to play today so feel free to correct me, but that's how I thought it was supposed to be. Don't know about the 4a though, I have struggled to put heat on to my right rear tire on the Clio on Donington, but I don't if it's supposed to be that way.

Yeah, the pitstops definitely feel a bit lackluster at the moment (I too wish for manual pitting) and the sometimes the wheel goes crazy during pitting which is a bit immersion breaking. Still, I can't wait for the pit crew animations; the animations themselves looked really nice in development.

News to me if they are, but checking the temps they were exactly the same as they came in which makes me think it's a bug. Tyres were still at full temp when I left the pits which certainly isn't correct, you just need to look at todays F1 to see how quickly temps drop off while going through the pits. Watching Bottas his tyres went from warm to cool in 20 seconds.

I honestly don't care about pit crew animations as much as I care about getting the actual pit stop down correctly. I'd rather they prioritise getting the simulation down before adding the polish. As much as I'm enjoying this game, some of the bugs are really frustrating, not game breaking for me. But this must really fuck with leagues.

The AI absolutely needs to be fixed ASAP though. It's not as bad as AC's but it's fairly subpar, they shouldn't be making silly mistakes at 100% and be so passive that I can practically force them off the road.

_machine

Yeah I do hope that they'll work on the pitstop feature in the patches instead of leaving it for pCARS 2. There's definitely room for improvement - I still remember how lame the pistops were in F1 2010 and Codemasters improved them a lot over the years.
At least full pitcrew animations are coming soon and I do think there will be quite few fixes coming as well given how many little bugs there are with the pitting.

News to me if they are, but checking the temps they were exactly the same as they came in which makes me think it's a bug. Tyres were still at full temp when I left the pits which certainly isn't correct, you just need to look at todays F1 to see how quickly temps drop off while going through the pits. Watching Bottas his tyres went from warm to cool in 20 seconds.
Yeah I could be wrong, but I do remember that after pitting you'd get tires that are somewhat warm (not blue on the UI), but not as warm as they would be during racing.

Dilly

Banned

Practice and qualification start on cold tires, races start on warm tires simulating a warm-up lap before the start of the race, and tire blankets are also simulated. It's a design choice, not a bug?

In an FWD car like the Clio, the inside rear tire will always generate less heat because that is just the characteristic of the car where that wheel easily loses contact with the surface in heavy cornering, which results in one tire cooling more than the rest, it turning blue in the HUD doesn't mean it's cold, just that it is colder than optimum grip temperature.

danowat

Banned
Anyone else notice the Wisconsin retrospective community event?

"relive the excitement of the 2003 ALMS with the racing icon pack available 5th June"

Why blue for warm?

I thought it was blue for cold, green for warm and red for overheating. When I raced the Clio after a few laps my outside front was red and my inside rear was blue and the opposite two tyres were green. Just how you would expect it to be if it's picking the inside rear up in the corners and all the weight is on the outside front.

Spookie

Practice and qualification start on cold tires, races start on warm tires simulating a warm-up lap before the start of the race, and tire blankets are also simulated. It's a design choice, not a bug?

Why is it cold on race start then? :/

Alchemist

Yeah, no. I feel like 50% of the opinions I read on the AI in this game are like the exact opposite of what I've experienced.

This is my only complaint about the AI.

I play on 50% and the CPU makes way more mistakes when it's dry compared to wet weather.

Footos22

Started in Karts, Why does the handling feel like complete shit?? I race karts on a monthly basis. Take it the handling on these were an after thought?

Why the fuuuuuck can't I choose SOFT tires before starting a race? Every tire I can start with in my RUF race (career mode) is utter shit. If I take a pit stop and change to soft, everything is A-OK.

Am I missing something, or have SMS fucked up bad here?

Tried to do the same in free practice and couldn't. I would also like to know if that's a bug.

Spookie

Started in Karts, Why does the handling feel like complete shit?? I race karts on a monthly basis. Take it the handling on these were an after thought?

Console, PC? Wheel, controller?

If you want to race carts GSCE is probably more accurate from what I've been told.

Skyzard

Banned
MSAA (MFAA) and SMAA Ultra

Thanks. I get about 8% increase in gpu usage with ultra. [hard to tell a difference in screenshots].
---definitely a difference between ultra and medium in motion, trying to find an optimum point now between high and ultra at 1440p.

This is my only complaint about the AI.

I play on 50% and the CPU makes way more mistakes when it's dry compared to wet weather.

Mine too. Something I've noticed with the karts at least. I read they were going to patch it though. I feel like the AI aren't affected by the rain at all atm.

Another random complaint - the sound when going under a bridge is sometimes super fucked, some sort of effect I know but half the time it just sounds terrible, sometimes there's a delay. I dunno.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
Ok so these settings are the ones I've stuck with now. Better than all others I've tried. DS4 PS4 here. Give them a go and let me know.

Control configuration.

Steering deadzone - 15
Steering sensitivity - 20
Throttle deadzone - 10
Throttle sensitivity - 30
Brake deadzone - 10
Brake sensitivity - 15
Clutch deadzone - 10
Clutch sensitivity - 45
Speed sensitivity - 65
Controller filtering sensitivity - 30
Force Feedback - 100
Controller input mode - 3
Advanced - Off

Field of view.

Hood camera - 70
Cockpit camera - 77
Helmet camera - 70

Movement.

High speed shake - on
World movement - 100
G-force effect - 50
Show helmet - no
Helmet depth of field - no
Helmet look to apex - 0
Helmet leaning - 75
Camera leaning - 75

I switch between mostly cockpit and helmet cam depending on how far back I am in the cockpit. Essentially using them as two cockpit views, with slightly different FOV's.

I had another set up that I thought was perfect, but I tried these out of curiosity and they're even better. I even did all the camera options although I left Helmet on and Helmet Depth of View set to On as well to add to the immersion.

f0rk

How do you race against your own ghost? Why doesn't it appear automatically in time trial while you're going round? Either me or the game is missing something obvious

Top Bottom