• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project Scorpio to be shown off next week according to Jez C... (READ MOD POST)

leeh

The biggest thing I got out of the "end of generations" comment is that all future consoles will play past games from the 360 on.

While there are ways they can move beyond a typical generational cycle, it would be a huge marketing mistake for them to ignore generations entirely. They are going to have something to compete with the PS5 and they'll need to sell it as a "next gen" console to do that.
Quite the opposite, the better marketing message is "Say hello to the new Xbox, where you can play all your previous Xbox games and all the games in the future".

Resetting libraries is now too harmful to the industry.
Xbox 1 cheaped out on the GPU in favour of shipping a kinect in every box. It's equal parts "cheaping out" and poor understanding of what your core audience really wanted from the console. MS lost significant market tshare to Sony that it may never recover. Virtually every single game looks (resolution) and performs (framerate) better on PS4. Because of one poor decision.

I hope they don't go Jaguar with Scorpio. I want to buy one. Would like to see MS gets some of its mojo back.
The GPU was small because of the lack of silicon space due to eSRAM which munched 40% of it.

It was an expensive APU at the time as it was the largest. It wasn't packing a lot of power, but it was expensive.

this is definitely true. and it's a better system imo. with incremental console updates we fall into a world of incremental visual updates too. it's like seeing a picture of yourself from 6 years ago compared to looking at your self every day in the mirror for 6 years. the perceived jump is far less and i don't want that. i don't want tomb raider 2025 to release and my first impression being...oh, it just looks like tomb raider 2022 only it's running in 8k instead of 4k. i want to see big, noticeable differences, but without a real, legit new gen, i don't think we ever will.

I definitely understand that sentiment, but I fall on the opposite side of things. I like incremental upgrades because I then feel like I'm just consistently getting a better experience. You definitely don't notice a big "jump", but I also never feel like I'm in dire need of an upgrade. To each their own!

The only thing that Scorpio can thoroughly make me go like "why the fuck would you do that?" is not having a USB-C port.

I get that USB-C is becoming the new standard, but what would you want them to use it for?

RowdyReverb

Chances for HDMI In seem to be 50/50, at least based on the lack of priority for TV app PiP with the new OS. I don't see how it really hurts them to continue including it though.

As for Kinect, I'm not really optimistic. It's likely that they'll continue to support it via that weird adapter that released for the One S, but I don't see us getting the dedicated port back again. I'm hoping for a built-in solution that at least allows native voice controls, but I'm doubtful they'd build in some of the other camera functions.

At the very least, I'd like to see an Xbox camera that can be used for video calls. Either that or a "Kinect lite" or something. Call it "Cortana _____" or something similiar.
I'd probably be happy enough if it just had an IR blaster and maybe a microphone for voice commands. Controlling my TV/Receiver is really the main feature I'd miss from Kinect. I honestly can't remember the last time I used the camera

quest

Not Banned from OT
Xbox 1 cheaped out on the GPU in favour of shipping a kinect in every box. It's equal parts "cheaping out" and poor understanding of what your core audience really wanted from the console. MS lost significant market tshare to Sony that it may never recover. Virtually every single game looks (resolution) and performs (framerate) better on PS4. Because of one poor decision.

I hope they don't go Jaguar with Scorpio. I want to buy one. Would like to see MS gets some of its mojo back.

They did not cheap out on the OG Xbox one GPU. They made the wrong ram decision and it cost them. They bet that the only viable option for 8gig was ddr3 and esram. They lost that bet and ended up with a large GPU that was under powered because the die space went to the esram not CUs and ROPs. It could of easily went the other way and more dense ddr5 would not been available and Sony would ended up with only 4 gigs of ram.

expletive

The XBO CPU/GPU was about heat and reliability for an "always on" device, not about cost. They didn't want to use GDDR5 due to power and heat requirements and that cascaded into ESRAM and an the GPU/CPU choices.

Leyasu

Banned
Anyway, why would major Nelson say about the weekend? Wasn't the df "xbone is balanced" article released on a Saturday?

Zedox

I get that USB-C is becoming the new standard, but what would you want them to use it for?

When they decide to make a new controller, I would rather have a USB-C port to charge it with QuickCharge than standard micro-usb. Also, to charge my other stuff :p More future proofing than anything.

RowdyReverb

When they decide to make a new controller, I would rather have a USB-C port to charge it with QuickCharge than standard micro-usb. Also, to charge my other stuff :p More future proofing than anything.
I have to agree that using micro USB is unpleasant once you've been spoiled by USB-C. That said, I just need to ensure that my elite controller is compatible, anything else is secondary

Yes it does. I am the Doctor.
bVwHKoY.jpg

this is definitely true. and it's a better system imo. with incremental console updates we fall into a world of incremental visual updates too. it's like seeing a picture of yourself from 6 years ago compared to looking at your self every day in the mirror for 6 years. the perceived jump is far less and i don't want that. i don't want tomb raider 2025 to release and my first impression being...oh, it just looks like tomb raider 2022 only it's running in 8k instead of 4k. i want to see big, noticeable differences, but without a real, legit new gen, i don't think we ever will.

I think that's the thing now, as we move to 4k and above, plus graphics have got to a really good level across all systems, you start to see diminishing returns. I mean even 1080p games still look great on a decent TV.

I have a pretty good PC and a PS4 Pro at the moment and when running games at 4k I can see the difference in picture detail but because 1080p looks really good already, 4k isn't a massive leap forward. Don't get me wrong, it's still a nice upgrade but it's not a massive step up.

Matt

The XBO CPU/GPU was about heat and reliability for an "always on" device, not about cost. They didn't want to use GDDR5 due to power and heat requirements and that cascaded into ESRAM and an the GPU/CPU choices.
It wasn't about heat, it was about MS absolutely wanting 8 GB (largely because of Kinect and media) and believing that GDDR5 would be too expensive when the time came.

I'd probably be happy enough if it just had an IR blaster and maybe a microphone for voice commands. Controlling my TV/Receiver is really the main feature I'd miss from Kinect. I honestly can't remember the last time I used the camera

I feel like the IR blaster NEEDS to be built in. TV control without Kinect is one of the biggest reasons that I upgraded to the One S (besides Target having a massive price error). So yeah... in that case I'd rather just have an IR blaster + built in mic with an optional "Xbox camera" that you can buy as a webcam.

I definitely see your point then! I'm not expecting it, but it would certainly be nice.

ViciousDS

Banned
people have some relation to quantum break so close right now its not even funny lol

especially considering one of the greatest chapter transition songs after a big fucking mindblowing part has these as the lyrics that got me so hyped for the next chapter.

Cut loose like an animal
Fired out like a cannon ball
But I waited too long
Yeah, I waited too long

Because its not fragile as fuck compared to micro usb

I think overall, if you already have a Pro i think you should temper your expectations. I have one and Im expecting a slightly better Pro. I think thats realistic. And MS really need a power boost in terms of console power.

I play everything on pro now cause of the boost, so it will definitely help MS one way or another.

watership

It seems that the collective hype and belief of what people want Scorpio to be is already set up for disappointment. There are already set expectations for success or failure; Zen, TFs etc. Then on the other side, any meeting of expectations will be completely destroyed by the eventual price. Seems like a lose/lose for MS, at least within GAF.

It seems that the collective hype and belief of what people want Scorpio to be is already set up for disappointment. There are already set expectations for success or failure; Zen, TFs etc. Then on the other side, any meeting of expectations will be completely destroyed by the eventual price. Seems like a lose/lose for MS, at least within GAF.

That's very dampening and pessimistic. Worst case scenario even a faster Jaguar or enhanced Jaguar would appreciably improve the situation on the CPU side of things, and if MS fits a Zen in at $400 they should be absolutely applauded like Sony was for the PS4 having 18CUs.

Kayant

Not having Zen in Scorpio wouldn't be "cheaping out" - All it would be is lack of availability of the Zen IP for semi-custom purposes(which has we have argued before is pegged as being 2018+)

So... Randomly searched for REd Dead Redemption 2 news after realizing there has been nothing in about 10 months, and stumbled upon this:

https://www.destructoid.com/red-dea...t-to-show-off-4k-on-new-xbox-one-429125.phtml

According to the report Forza 7, Crackdown 3, and State of Decay 2 will all be on display -- all first-party Microsoft games will run at native 4K on the Scorpio -- along with Call of Duty (presumably the newest one), FIFA, Madden, Star Wars Battlefront 2 and Red Dead Redemption 2. Maybe we'll get a little more than we did in the teaser?

I really need this. RDR2 is basically the only game I'm in need of.

quest

Not Banned from OT
It's still pretty big improvement if it's Excavator right?

I don't see it being the excavator. I don't think AMD would of devoted resources for a custom version that would make sense in a console. It is just not simply bolting it on to a GPU and calling it a day. At this point puma is almost a certainty. AMD fell behind on the zen schedule making a custom version ready for a fall launch near impossible. I'm 99 percent sure it is puma at 2.2-2.3 just to have larger number than the pro.

Top Bottom