• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS Vita general advice thread, part 3 | Veni, vidi, Vita

Status
Not open for further replies.

gkryhewy

FYI, Amazon Warehousedeals has had lots of vita deals for the last couple of days. Currently they have multiple first edition bundles for 262 USD and wifi/3g units like new for 225.

Blablurn

fifa football is such a nice game for the vita _o_

AoLrcybCAAAhWw4.jpg:large

G_Berry

Banned
I'm really looking forward to some meatier game experiences.

It badly needs a Mass Effect, Elder Scrolls, GTA, Gran Turismo or Silent Hill. Ports are all fine and good, but I wish there was something else to look forward too soon :/

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou

It badly needs a Mass Effect, Elder Scrolls, GTA, Gran Turismo or Silent Hill. Ports are all fine and good, but I wish there was something else to look forward too soon :/

Technically there is a Silent Hill game in a couple weeks.

I'm not sure if Konami is aware either :/

Do agree though.

Snaku

Banned

Uncharted is the closest thing you're looking for at the moment. Gravity Rush is next.

Sonofa! My Vita won't charge, worked fine for the first charge out of the box, second charge seemed weird as it didn't charge when plugged in, shrugged it off as a fluke since I reseated everything and it started working. But this time it simply will not work, so bummed.

I haven't backed anything up, I'm worried I'll have to return the whole thing. I've had such good luck with all my consoles, still have a release ps1, ps2, ps3, PSP all working so this will be my first release console that stops working and I've only had it two weeks.

Sonofa!

Sonofa! My Vita won't charge, worked fine for the first charge out of the box, second charge seemed weird as it didn't charge when plugged in, shrugged it off as a fluke since I reseated everything and it started working. But this time it simply will not work, so bummed.

I haven't backed anything up, I'm worried I'll have to return the whole thing. I've had such good luck with all my consoles, still have a release ps1, ps2, ps3, PSP all working so this will be my first release console that stops working and I've only had it two weeks.

Sonofa!

Does the Playstation logo on the cable face up when you plug it in?

Ptaaty

So I tried a demo of Wipeout in a kiosk yesterday....

My first thoughts:
1. Screen is amazing, crisp gfx.
2. face buttons a little awkward with the right analog stick
3. Absolutely absurd loading times....like watching the % loaded tick up 1 by 1....I honestly don't remember the last time I waited this long for any load. Please tell me this is a weird artifact of the demo.

My first thoughts:
3. Absolutely absurd loading times....like watching the % loaded tick up 1 by 1....I honestly don't remember the last time I waited this long for any load. Please tell me this is a weird artifact of the demo.

There's a patch for the full game which reduces the loading times.

mandiller

My first thoughts:

There was a patch released that improves the load times a little bit, but only a little bit. It's still very rediculous. A great game otherwise though.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
I should've been more clear. How? I haven't played a FIFA game in years and I could not find it in the manual.

Pause the game > Options. It's in there somewhere.

There was a patch released that improves the load times a little bit, but only a little bit. It's still very rediculous. A great game otherwise though.

Also, little known fact, if the game is a Digital Purchase, the big the mem card the faster the load time. Digital Foundry did a comparison on it.

ZaICs.jpg

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
I have notice that every time I download something on Vita now, instead of one notification popup for downloads complete, I now get two for each file. Or maybe I was always getting two but never noticed it. Is this normal? For example, if I download one of the free songs pack for Ridge Racer, or an add on for a game, this is when it happens. If I download the whole game, there's no notification popup, as the game installs as soon as the download is done.

My first thoughts:
It's the game with by far longest loading times on the platform. Definitely an exception from the norm.

Speaking of, it looks like most of the available demos are on the US store now. Hot Shots Golf and Wipeout being the newest additions.

My first thoughts:
Well, I've heard a lot of people complain about the demo, that's for sure, but I haven't played it myself. I will say that when I got it for my Vita on launch day I thought the whinging about the load times had been blown out of proportion. There are load times, but I don't find them that bad... Maybe it's because I remember what they were like for Wipeout on the Playstation...

Corto

I should've been more clear. How? I haven't played a FIFA game in years and I could not find it in the manual.

When you start the game on the arena push start and on the scrolling menu choose customize and then settings. It's one of the options there. Another thing that's not very well explained is the training mode. You need to push select when in the arena with Kaka and then choose one of the training options.

Yopis

So I recently realized I have a slight vertical line issue with my screen. Does this affect everybody/majority of people?

Corto

So I recently realized I have a slight vertical line issue with my screen. Does this affect everybody/majority of people?

My Vita screen is pure sex. If yours has a noticeable defect just bring it to the store to return it within the warranty.

patsu

Browsing photos with the flickr app on dat oled is a marvel

I agree ! Completed my offline playlist in Music Unlimited and browsed popular Flickr photo collection yesterday. Amazing experience !

I also bought Mutant Blob yesterday. All Vita owners should give it a look. Fantastic little creation. Like it a lot, reminds me of LocoRoco + Katamari + PixelJunk Shooter.

mm04

When you start the game on the arena push start and on the scrolling menu choose customize and then settings. It's one of the options there. Another thing that's not very well explained is the training mode. You need to push select when in the arena with Kaka and then choose one of the training options.

Thanks so much!

I have a $20 PSN card and I can't decide between Monster Hunter or Metal Slug Anthology.

On one hand I have Monster Hunter 2 on UMD that I've played for maybe 30 minutes and it just didn't take for me but I feel like I need to give it another go because GAF loves it.
On the other hand I love Metal Slug.

Decisions, Decisions.

androvsky

My first thoughts:

The full game loads slightly faster due to the patch, but it's still pretty bad. The good news is the load is much, much faster when you retry a race.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
I have a $20 PSN card and I can't decide between Monster Hunter or Metal Slug Anthology.

On one hand I have Monster Hunter 2 on UMD that I've played for maybe 30 minutes and it just didn't take for me but I feel like I need to give it another go because GAF loves it.
On the other hand I love Metal Slug.

Decisions, Decisions.
Are you seriously thinking of getting a game in a series you tried and didn't like over one that you love just because it gets a lot of praise on GAF?

gkryhewy

If you're talking about a faint vertical line pattern on some solid backgrounds (like grey), that's normal.

EDIT: it does vary among units though. If you see it, it should be very slight. The power down screen is a good test. If it looks obviously striped rather than blue when you look at it, then your screen may have some issues.

so i was playing the unit 13 demo, lost sound for some reason and then tried to exit. after realizing something was wrong, I attempted to turn the system off. After seeing the circular spinning thing in the middle of the screen for 1-2 minutes, it went away and now my playstation logo button is flashing blue. i can't turn the system on. any ideas?

Gen X

^^Try holding down the power buton for about 20 seconds, then select Restart Vita.

One of my friends asked me about some vertical lines as well, I'd never heard of them. He took it back to the shop and they tried another, ended up his was faulty.

Gotta admit though, a lot less reportings of faulty screens as opposed to when the original PSP launched with dead pixels.

Ragus

Banned
so i was playing the unit 13 demo, lost sound for some reason and then tried to exit. after realizing something was wrong, I attempted to turn the system off. After seeing the circular spinning thing in the middle of the screen for 1-2 minutes, it went away and now my playstation logo button is flashing blue. i can't turn the system on. any ideas?

Hold Power button for 20 seconds. Vita will reset.

Sporran

hold the power button in for about 20 secs, sorts it for me

ya i just finished uncharted and now need another 'meatier' game in the same league....

really hope devs put in the choice not to use touch controls...got kinda frustrated with uncharted esp towards the end of the game...

xxczx

Are you seriously thinking of getting a game in a series you tried and didn't like over one that you love just because it gets a lot of praise on GAF?
He said he's only played 30 minutes of MonHun, that's not a lot of time to judge a game/series.

Grinchy

Banned
He said he's only played 30 minutes of MonHun, that's not a lot of time to judge a game/series.

I believe it's not a series for everyone, but I totally agree that you need hours to understand Monster Hunter. Hell, even after hours a person probably still sucks at it (at least in my case).

Ran rp

happen to me I played barely 15 mins and hated it, tried it again play it for a hour and still hated it. I prefer God eater burst way accessible

I like GEB but the small fighting areas are starting to get old. I guess it's because of a PSP limitation or something, but I wish there was an actual world to explore. Is MH more expansive than GEB?

Saw a Vita for the first time yesterday, it looks even better "in the flesh" than it does in pictures.

Regardless of its other pros/cons, it certainly is a nice-looking piece of kit.

I believe it's not a series for everyone, but I totally agree that you need hours to understand Monster Hunter. Hell, even after hours a person probably still sucks at it (at least in my case).
I feel like I didn't give it a fair shake the first time around. I think I went on 1 quest, fought with the controls, died, and turned it off never to be touched again. I think the controls were half my problem. It sounds like something I would be interested in but just didn't click my first try. Vita seems to correct my biggest problem with it but my prior experience has made me wary.

magawolaz

Also, little known fact, if the game is a Digital Purchase, the big the mem card the faster the load time. Digital Foundry did a comparison on it.

ZaICs.jpg
I have a 16GB memory card, and I was interested in buying WipEout. Should I go with digital or retail?

Gen X

Dunno, it's up to you. Everything else I've bought that has been retail I've opted for but I do have WipEout as the code came free with the 3G, I can't imagine it being much slower to load but I wouldn't want to wait any longer haahahha.

Also I don't think a 16gb is big enough if you're going to get a few digital games. That said, the odd title you're going to constantly play or come back to could well be worth going digital

Grinchy

Banned
I feel like I didn't give it a fair shake the first time around. I think I went on 1 quest, fought with the controls, died, and turned it off never to be touched again. I think the controls were half my problem. It sounds like something I would be interested in but just didn't click my first try. Vita seems to correct my biggest problem with it but my prior experience has made me wary.

My first experience with it was on PSP and fighting with the camera while trying to learn to properly fight and sheathe my weapon and everything was incredibly frustrating. Something about it intrigued me, but I could totally see someone casting it aside after a bad first impression.

Now it just feels awesome and yeah, it plays so much better on Vita.

Eusis

Dunno, it's up to you. Everything else I've bought that has been retail I've opted for but I do have WipEout as the code came free with the 3G, I can't imagine it being much slower to load but I wouldn't want to wait any longer haahahha.

Also I don't think a 16gb is big enough if you're going to get a few digital games. That said, the odd title you're going to constantly play or come back to could well be worth going digital
Depends on how you use it. I've got plenty of PSP games on, but it's almost all taken up as a result. Still, you could probably go with a bunch of PPS games, a few PSVita games, and get a lot of stuff physically. Or just get the stuff you'll play a lot (and isn't huge file-wise) digitally and the stuff you'll more quickly move on from physically, wipeout for example is probably better to get digitally than Uncharted, which unless you want to go for all Trophies or conquer each difficulty you'll be throwing aside until you feel like playing again for whatever reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom